Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 3D: Blast Radius full 14-map episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 3D: Blast Radius full 14-map episode  ""A one-way trip!""

User is online   ck3D 

A bit too short on time these days to give a proper reply but I appreciate the insightful reviews and comments, Merlijn! Out of curiosity, when was the last time you updated your installation of the episode? I've been trying to understand then fix all of the weird crashes/HOM's Norilsk and Duke Du Quatrain used to generate when displaying too much map from certain coordinates. At this point Norilsk can still cause issues albeit to a lesser extent than before, basically one would need to insist flying around and along the edges of the map now to trigger them, when they used to happen from the rooftops; Duke Du Quatrain should be 100% clear from the crashes now however, at least from my own experience and also since those fixed maps went up, reports stopped coming in. So I would recommend updating (those particular map files at least, BRL8.MAP and BRL14.MAP) for comfortable playthroughs. Or if you're playing one of the most recent builds and the map still crashes then I guess that means I'm not done with it yet.

There's quite a lot to be said about Duke Du Quatrain and the Anarchy City series/remixing, for now I'll just drop the Google maps coordinates of the real-life starting area: https://goo.gl/maps/w1RUEuy7iDMyWfpW8 the last decade has been seeing complete demolition/reconstruction of the apartment buildings on the immediate left after they were revealed to be full of asbestos, and I recreated the old architecture there instead so those are a bit different, but otherwise the whole of the level should be recognizable and accessible with each location matching their coordinates/placement in the Duke map, so one can easily retrace the path 'on foot' in Google Maps. The only exception being the final island which also corresponds to its loose coordinates on the real map of the city but realistically should be at a greater walking distance (it's in an entire different neighborhood), so 'walking' there in Google Maps from the starting position you might get lost and never find it despite going in the right direction, so even if one manages to, it might take them a while (edit: https://goo.gl/maps/DQrSAXkCpXa679jf6). The bus stop and bus line names in that map also are real-life correct, by the way.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 26 May 2023 - 11:31 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

No worries about the crashes - I was still playing an older version. I will update for the final stretch of the episode (since there's a pistol start there anyway), but until then I stick to the version I downloaded. I don't want to risk any corruptions with the save files.

And wow it's a trip to 'walk' through the real life places. I can clearly recognize the areas, you did a splendid job of translating them to mapster. Also looks like a nice town to live in btw :)
The final area is also interesting, compared to its real life counterpart the AC3 version felt pretty small and cramped. While the BR version does the opposite and makes it bigger to fit the epic scale of the episode. It's notable how accurate to real life that final square is, pretty crazy!

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 27 May 2023 - 03:10 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Alright cool, reassuring to know you were playing the older version, I was worried you meant the updated map 14 kept crashing too. The recent updates since you started playing really mostly addressed those particular crashes in that level (which is now past your progression) and also in Norilsk, where you also might have to save often in your version, pre-revision version of the level had (at least) graphical glitches on the red keycard rooftop in particular (depending on config, could evolve into weird game behavior or crashes). So once past those maps you shouldn't exactly feel obligated to update as far as performance and stability issues, but I would recommend that you do before level 9/Tokyo since last month I refined and fixed quite a lot around the secret places in that level (maybe I even added a couple of new ones) if you deem that worthwhile. Most of the other fixes around the other maps have been minor and/or shouldn't be noticeable in a cheatless playthrough.

And thanks, yeah, it's a nice town but also culturally sterile and so the purple lava in the level kind of functions as a metaphor, haha. There's something about it that is simultaneously blessed and cursed. The first neighborhood with those rental condos that correspond to the first four islands are where I grew up as a teenager and then the last plaza is a location I've been frequenting for 25 years and so from my teenage years on and well into adulthood. So in a so-called meta way, it represents self-affirmation with all the clues one has to find (and switches/boxes they have to tick) on that path of personal development and growth. And in real life too, it's got a lot of cops.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 May 2023 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postck3D, on 27 May 2023 - 05:16 AM, said:

And thanks, yeah, it's a nice town but also culturally sterile and so the purple lava in the level kind of functions as a metaphor, haha. There's something about it that is simultaneously blessed and cursed. The first neighborhood with those rental condos that correspond to the first four islands are where I grew up as a teenager and then the last plaza is a location I've been frequenting for 25 years and so from my teenage years on and well into adulthood. So in a so-called meta way, it represents self-affirmation with all the clues one has to find (and switches/boxes they have to tick) on that path of personal development and growth. And in real life too, it's got a lot of cops.

I have to admit that the secret level's architecture reminds me a lot of GTA San Andreas, which I thought had something to do with this being a bit similar to your old Anarchy City maps, which I probably played around the same time as GTA:SA. But now looking at the real-life stuff it seems the connection is stronger and it's not just the coincidence of time, but the architecture and general vibe are really similiar, in particular to the early neighbourhoods of Los Santos!

User is online   ck3D 

Version 1.1.0 is now out featuring a 15th level/second secret map with a new enemy type and more. I'm going to start a thread specifically for the new map. Bunch of new sounds, too, and some fixes to the old levels while I was at it. I don't think I even broke anything but you tell me. Curious about who will find the new secret exit first!

Full article: https://www.moddb.co...cret-level-more

Download: https://www.moddb.co...3d-blast-radius

Posted Image

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 June 2023 - 10:57 PM

BR got a mention here if you didnt see it yet.

https://altarofgamin...-nukem-3d-mods/

User is online   ck3D 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 03 June 2023 - 02:18 AM, said:

BR got a mention here if you didnt see it yet.

https://altarofgamin...-nukem-3d-mods/

Thanks for sharing, yeah I saw that article just a few days back, author is on the Duke4.net Discord and so I've thanked them on there. Their words about BR were very touching but so was the fact that they did their research and actively asked the community for pointers about everyone's favorite mods, as a result you get an organic article that isn't just a typical clickbait list. Was just as hyped seeing every other mod mentioned on there really, congrats on all the compliments your own mods/level packs got and I was especially happy seeing Duke Hard up too, that was one of the most memorable community projects and a good time capsule of the past generations' activity. You probably could do WG Duke Hard all by yourself which would be the entire tower with all the floors in just one map with your knack for TROR!

User is online   ck3D 

Level Lore page for Postmortem/BRL10.map is up here: https://www.moddb.co...evel-10brl10map

Spoiler-heavy, maybe more technical-oriented than some of the previous ones and so hopefully not as abstract. I'll need all the abstraction I can when the time comes to recount Zarathustra and then Closure...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've also conducted some minor updates, mod is now at its version 1.1.3 (last revisions fix a forgotten secret place in Postmortem + chances of crash in two maps, also the bowling alley in Nakano is now 'functional' in the most fitting way possible for Duke's skill). Probably won't touch it for a while now, so please feel at ease grabbing that one.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 June 2023 - 07:18 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Yeah, for what that's worth I can confirm 1.1.3 will stick around for a while. Whenever it is 2.0.0 drops though, I hope you all like new stuff.

User is online   ck3D 

Duke It Out In Descent: https://www.moddb.co...evel-11brl11map

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Version 2.0.6 download link (only fixes tiny nitpicks in comparison to 2.0.5; does not retouch Zero Zone): https://www.moddb.co...3d-blast-radius

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 July 2023 - 06:22 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://www.moddb.co...evel-12brl12map

Separate link for the walkthrough because it was too long:

https://www.moddb.co...map-walkthrough

Posted Image

This is funny but honestly ModDB was bugging out; the actual character count is barely over half that. A lot to say about this map, a lot of the lore of the episode suddenly starts unfolding there, articles also mention all the OG platformers references and tie-ins. I don't think I'll ever top this level, nor that I'll ever want to try.

Spoilers galore obviously, it's the end game now.

(Also updated to v. 2.0.7)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 July 2023 - 07:58 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Sorry for the double post but I figure it wouldn't hurt to emphasize on this part just in case anybody would be down for the challenge (I'm really not expecting submissions, even just one person playing along would be a fantastic surprise). Zarathustra has the only bogus/placeholder par times left in the episode and I can't seem to find the time to learn how to speedrun it because there are so many possibilities (although it also may be the hardest level to possibly 'break' in the pack), so I improvised this challenge, as copy pasted from the 'par time' route section:

If you can beat the registered times in "Zarathustra" on Come Get Some without cheats (saves/reloads tolerated if not unreasonably excessive) and record footage of the run, please feel free to share the corresponding YouTube link in the comments of this article and I officially will register your time(s) in the episode.

The currently registered times are:

Posted Image

You also get to see the time of my most recent playthrough where I needed to go around the level and take screenshots of most everything to illustrate the walkthrough, but it's not my real record.

Obviously posting the run in this thread or wherever I'll get to see it is fine, doesn't have to be on the ModDB page.

User is online   ck3D 

Level Lore article for level 13/boss "Closure" is up: https://www.moddb.co...evel-13brl13map

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also updated to 2.0.8 which fixes some stuff around zzl4.map (that's in Zero Zone) and removed what I realized a bit late were killer viewscreens in brl13.map (because of the relative teleport bug, but at least that taught me how to control it) so now for a first-timer the level may be a bit harder without the corresponding clues, but in fact closer to the intended difficulty really.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 04 August 2023 - 06:48 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postck3D, on 04 August 2023 - 06:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

Love this thing :D

User is online   ck3D 

Radar's playthrough of level 1, pretty cool route and take on maneuvering around the level, also went at it the hardcore minimalist's way skipping the house with the shotgun and secret freezethrower altogether which I think is fun, makes me glad beta testing helped get the pistol ammo supplies just right. It's funny looking back I can't help but envision extra connections between a few of the rooms, not going to add them just for the sake of it though.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 August 2023 - 07:40 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View Postck3D, on 29 July 2023 - 07:30 AM, said:

Zarathustra has the only bogus/placeholder par times left in the episode and I can't seem to find the time to learn how to speedrun it because there are so many possibilities (although it also may be the hardest level to possibly 'break' in the pack), so I improvised this challenge,

I'm waiting for their authorization to share their video as it currently is unlisted, but Build speedrunner and YouTube user King Mamba just submitted a deathless Come Get Some run of Zarathustra in 6:29 (I'm pretty floored).

User is offline   Seb Luca 

An incredible and awesome city :D GG !!

User is online   ck3D 

Merci Seb!

Just received the authorization to share, so here's King Mamba's run of Zarathustra:

User is online   ck3D 

Today, on Radar's radar:

Bonus excerpt from the next Level Lore article while I'm at it:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

2022 vs. 2004

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 August 2023 - 12:56 PM

User is online   ck3D 

"Duke Du Quatrain" (level 14/secret 1) Level Lore piece is out:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The old Anarchy City maps get dissected and the idea of Build engine reiteration scrutinized, might be interesting for the comparison screenshots, aspiring mappers or some of the old timers.

https://www.moddb.co...ecret-1brl14map

Also updated to 2.0.9 just to recolor one wall texture in Norilsk, and also incorporate King Mamba's Zarathustra times.
Latest version can be fetched here: https://www.moddb.co...3d-blast-radius

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 August 2023 - 02:28 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Here's Radar's playthrough of level 3/Big Apple Smoke Toke/NYC:

Some really neat fights in there, also was glad to see Duke play with certain features of the map like I was hoping some players would, the Brooklyn banks clearly are where to retreat if/when overwhelmed during the docks fight and the layout of the police station I was glad to see utilized like that (playing with all the openings to get the tanks), and the secret yellow key/Metrocard remains a secret once more. Was reassuring seeing the player not get too lost even when lost a little for the second red key, every place just kept looping back to somewhere else until they found it. Also none of the sector-over-sector clipping issues some bits this map can be plagued with (at least in certain EDukes) when the player is really fast despite Steroids-fueled movement, or maybe it was left out of the edit every time it did happen.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Maybe I'm just an ignorant American, but are there any landmarks that give away that is supposed to be NYC? As noted in my description I could not tell where that was. I understand that recreating IRL locations in Build can be way too complicated and look awful so I get it if it's more of a "roleplay" as if you're navigating the slums of Brooklyn sort of thing.

User is online   ck3D 

Nah it's totally cool you would ask, the only condemnable ignorance is a voluntary one. We're all ignorant of most things!

The Level Lore article for the map lists most of the references: https://www.moddb.co...-level-3brl3map

Just to name a few off the top of my head:

- the MTA is the NYC subway system (I achieved the logo by mirroring the ATM sprite), and (yellow) Metrocards are the local passes;

- the Statue of Liberty (granted it's a bit crude) from distance, can see it from the docks, the big overpass is a reinterpretation of the Brooklyn Bridge;

- the NYPD cars and NYC yellow taxis complete with the pissed off Assault Taxi Drivers (yellow mortar stayput Troopers, canonically Scorsese fans);

- all the various signs, e.g. in the metro system correspond to real lines and stations except for 53rd and 3rd which is a Ramones song;

- after you've found the secret yellow key/Metrocard, the TMNT spawn in the sewers (really four green Copium Battlelords with the theme song blasting out of the boombox you saw), underneath the pizzeria;

- the Ramones secret (you almost found it) inside the CBGB, which is a reference to their classic recording at Arturo Vega's loft;

- the CBGB itself, classic underground punk bar that played a significant role in the history of 80's music;

- the Badass store with all the enemies waiting in line, the installations inside and the 'exclusive' red keycards is a mock-up of Supreme, eventually in the back stock you find a tunnel to an online reseller just next door;

- the small park with the fountain is a baby Washington Square Park, and the Brooklyn Banks (brick pit) are a real place, can be seen in the movie Kids;

- The Warriors movie reference on the docks, also the view on the East River from a boardwalk onto a cityscape is quite a typical NYC experience;

- the Mario brothers' apartment from the 1993 movie featuring the van parked in front of the garage, the Thwomp Stomper protective boots in the garage and of course the rest of the red/green, 1P/2P, and occasionally NES-inspired aesthetics;

- the MIDI originally is a Beastie Boys track.

Fun fact: the police station and the CBGB has a few secrets most players I've seen so far seem to fail to find (not that they're that cool at all). The public phone in the police station also is the only one in the episode that instead of beeping will call Burger World from Beavis & Butthead.

Otherwise I also get your position as the map may be the city map in the episode that mostly reinterprets the place the most, and 'precisely' recreates real settings the least. A lot of elements here and there are modeled after, or inspired by real NYC features but the streets themselves and layouts are my own take. Otherwise most of the other cities are more faithful to the source.

Forgot to say, but I also thought the MIDI for this map in particular sounds particularly good with your new set-up.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 18 August 2023 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That's all amazing. I should have figured much more thought went into it than I readily noticed. And thanks for the compliment on my music setup. Re-watching these videos, I think I turned the music too loud but at the time I wanted to show off the new Sound Canvas.

User is online   ck3D 

Thank you, honestly most of the ideas were spontaneous, if the theme made me think of something cool I would never question it much and usually just throw it in. NYC map is a bit more of a soup because I made it right after Poison Heart and was still figuring it out exactly what I truly wanted to make, so in the meantime crafting the layout was the fun part and main point of focus.

Nah to me the mix sounds just fine in your videos. Some people aren't too into the track picks themselves because they're atypical and/or at times a bit strong but each MIDI has a rather deep connection to its map, to me they're part of the experience on equal terms with the visuals and I know I enjoy them loud.

But then again I also see many people dislike how loud the explosions can get in Duke 3D and that I also don't get because I play Duke 3D for the explosions.

Oh yeah, you also probably missed out on a couple of NYC references due to having Duke Talk off, otherwise he explicitly mentions the city at least once.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 August 2023 - 09:34 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Radar's playthrough of Incapharnaum/level 4/Machu Picchu:

Now onto looking into how come the central pillar already was down by the time they reached the ruins (it's supposed to be tall when you arrive and then you lower it by going through the alien switch sequence, although they are alternative ways to trigger the collapse of the last cliff early). In this case it's cool as it saved the player some time, but I had never seen that before, wonder what broke (didn't look like a video editing mistake), going to investigate.

Also already updated yesterday to add one extra explodable wall trigger to level 10/Postmortem in order to facilitate progression just a little (in fact it always should have been there, something must have gone wrong during an update of the map at some point, trigger wasn't necessary but greatly helps traversal and so is back in).

EDIT - problem is fixed and its cause was I'm an idiot who sometimes sets touchplates at wrong heights despite twenty plus years of mapping. Bug had been in since 2.0.1. Can fetch an update (2.0.11) here: https://www.moddb.co...3d-blast-radius thank you Radar for helping me spot this.

EDIT - no pun intended.

Friend watched bits with me and said the vibe reminded me of Shadowman, I was so stoked.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 22 August 2023 - 11:08 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Radar's traversal of level 5 (one of my favorites):

Interesting way around the plane, I typically tend to go the other way, cockpit side first and then through the back of the plane once I've grabbed the key but that also directly pits you against all the Pig Cop tanks. Cool Scorpion Tank dance moves too, always love seeing players who are now used to handling them, around release time to most people that enemy in general was pure mayhem.

Updated last night to fix some broken sprites in brl10.map (barely noticeable), might update again tonight just to correct one misaligned texture I just found.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postck3D, on 22 August 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

Now onto looking into how come the central pillar already was down by the time they reached the ruins (it's supposed to be tall when you arrive and then you lower it by going through the alien switch sequence, although they are alternative ways to trigger the collapse of the last cliff early). In this case it's cool as it saved the player some time, but I had never seen that before, wonder what broke (didn't look like a video editing mistake), going to investigate.

That's funny. I thought the button hunt was intentional misdirection and probably gave the user an atom or something, but the real exit path was right under the player's nose the whole time. When I caught wind of this, I reverted to a previous save and dashed straight for the exit. Glad I helped expose something that could frustrate players if left as-is.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostRadar, on 26 August 2023 - 11:23 AM, said:

That's funny. I thought the button hunt was intentional misdirection and probably gave the user an atom or something, but the real exit path was right under the player's nose the whole time. When I caught wind of this, I reverted to a previous save and dashed straight for the exit. Glad I helped expose something that could frustrate players if left as-is.

There indeed is some deliberate fishy business around the ending, with three possible 'secret' ways to collapse the cliffs that skip the whole of the switch hunt. With just a few jumps, one can reach a 'secret place' that towers over the ruins from the highest one of the structures (the one that has an Ice Cold Battlelord on an elevator platform inside); approaching the end of the tallest cliff will spawn in more minibosses but also reveal the ending early. The player can also collapse the cliffs by simply attempting to clear them with the jetpack or via some crazy jump, as they are set up to do so in case Duke somehow enters the sector when they're still up. And the jetpack also can be used to reach the top of the pillar before it's come down in order to trigger the ending 'normally', just earlier than if Duke would have used the switches. So in a way, the button hunt is misdirection to a degree, but the pillar always being down ruined that too in a twist of irony. Usually, when an exploit is possible that facilitates an otherwise difficult task I'll consciously leave it in (re: fitting through the hole in order to enter the avionics in the plane map), but that bug singlehandedly nullified everything about the entire area.

Speaking of the plane map, just earlier today I was going to fix a few misaligned textures I had spotted from your latest video but couldn't find in my version in classic mode. Is your playthrough using Polymost by chance, that could explain it by qualifying as one more of those minor discrepancies, or it's also very possible I've already fixed those problems in an update and just forgot. If you're using Polymost then I'm pleasantly surprised by how few issues so far you've been getting. Thanks again for sharing your traversal, very helpful for sure.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I use polymost as I get 3000 fps with it uncapped so it is the most efficient renderer to use while running screen capture software. (not that classic is a burden on my system, but it triggers continuous CPU fan spinning) However, Norilsk ended up producing too many glitches so I switched to classic midway. I tried to conceal when the switch takes place so I'm wondering if you'll be able to spot it. Also, Hotel Atlantis produced major glitches from the start so that whole level is played in classic, though I'm not sure it helped much. The rest of my playthrough is polymost.

This post has been edited by Radar: 26 August 2023 - 03:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options