Duke4.net Forums: Compiling EDuke32 for the Steam Deck - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compiling EDuke32 for the Steam Deck  "For anyone who got Valve's latest toy"

User is offline   240-185 

It's been a lot of fiddling, trial & error, and frustration, but I managed to compile EDuke32 for SteamOS on the Steam Deck.

Pre-requisites:
The rootfs must be mounted as read-write, and you should be able to install packages with pacman.
If this is not the case, or if you don't know what that means, just check this link: https://www.reddit.c...our_steam_deck/

Get the preliminary files
Get the latest snapshot at https://aur.archlinu...ackages/eduke32 (Download snapshot on the right of the screen)
Extract the contents of the snapshot in whichever folder you want. Navigate to this folder.

Install with
sudo pacman -Sy
the following packages:

glibc
libc++
linux-api-headers
base-devel
libarchive
sdl2
libx11
nx-headers
xorgproto
libvpx
flac
alsa-lib

Build the damn executables
Start to build by entering the following command:
makepkg -si
. The command will fetch the latest sources on eduke32's website.

During the compilation, you should encounter many many many many many warnings saying that "_FORTIFY_SOURCE is redefined". Don't know how to get rid of them yet.
This does not affect the quality of the final product.

Put a DUKE3D.GRP file in /home/deck/.config/eduke32. Preferably a legal one, like the WT edition.

You should now be able to kick some aliens' asses on the go, at a far better performance than under Windows!

This post has been edited by 240-185: 26 May 2022 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Nice tutorial. Though to be honest i find it easier to just git clone the repo, cd to the folder and type make (or make sw depending on if I want voidsw or eduke32).

Also I don't know about some of the dependencies you added. Both the eduke32 wiki page for compiling the source port on linux and the list of dependencies on the AUR uploads don't indicate downloading some stuff like nx-headers, xorgproto, linux-api-headers, libarchive etc. It could also be because I'm retarded though and there is a good reason to add them.

jkas789, on 27 May 2022 - 09:23 PM, said:

Nice tutorial. Though to be honest i find it easier to just git clone the repo, cd to the folder and type make (or make sw depending on if I want voidsw or eduke32).

Also I don't know about some of the dependencies you added. Both the eduke32 wiki page for compiling the source port on linux and the list of dependencies on the AUR uploads don't indicate downloading some stuff like nx-headers, xorgproto, linux-api-headers, libarchive etc. It could also be because I'm retarded though and there is a good reason to add them.

I think some dependencies between libx11, nx-headers, xorgproto are not needed. When I compiled EDuke32, it was mostly trial and error, dealing with tons of messages saying "libYADDA: not such file or directory" and googling the exact message error in order to guess which lib was missing.

I will have to retry when a newer version of EDuke32 will be released on AUR, allowing me to write a much better tutorial.

This post has been edited by 240-185: 31 May 2022 - 08:55 AM

It seems to already be available (albeit two years out of date) from the Discovery program. Pardon my ignorance, but why not update that?

BetterLateThanNever, on 02 July 2022 - 03:53 PM, said:

It seems to already be available (albeit two years out of date) from the Discovery program. Pardon my ignorance, but why not update that?

Because this version does not detect the controller IIRC.

Anyway, there are news packages to install if you want to compile the latest builds:

Install with
sudo pacman -Sy
the following packages:

glibc
libc++
linux-api-headers
base-devel
libarchive
sdl2
libx11
nx-headers
xorgproto
libvpx
flac
alsa-lib
gdk-pixbuf2
glib2
cairo
pango
harfbuzz
atk

This post has been edited by 240-185: 13 July 2022 - 11:29 AM

Gotcha. Also thanks for answering my query.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options