Duke4.net Forums: Possible to compile eduke32 for macOS? (re: 64 bit, ARM, etc) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Possible to compile eduke32 for macOS? (re: 64 bit, ARM, etc)

User is offline   sofakng 

Is it possible to compile eduke32 for macOS Montery (or Big Sur) ?

macOS requires 64-bit and OpenGL or Vulkan (ie. MoltenVK) and it would also be great to have ARM support for the M1 MacBook.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry, I've found a 64-bit build for macOS here: https://dukeworld.co...intel_r9598.dmg and it seems to work, but it's incredibly slow for some reason on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro even running at 1352x878x32bpp...

User is online   Phredreeke 

Yeah, I've heard this from others as well. The problem is a combination of Polymost working in rather unorthodox ways and Apple's OpenGL performance being poor in general.

If you just want to play classic Duke without any gameplay mods you could try Raze

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 December 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

The problem is a combination of Polymost working in rather unorthodox ways and Apple's OpenGL performance being poor in general.

Does eduke32 support D3D or Vulkan?

I've heard same thing about Apple and OpenGL though. Apparently it's only a very old version and basically wants everybody to use the Metal API. However, there are wrappers for Vulkan to Metal (VulvanMK?) and also D3D11 to Vulkan (DXVK).

Both Polymost and Polymer use OpenGL. You could try switching to classic renderer if you don't mind y-shearing and color banding.

User is offline   Ax 34noff 

View Postsofakng, on 03 December 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

... However, there are wrappers for Vulkan to Metal (VulvanMK?) and also D3D11 to Vulkan (DXVK).

There is also OpenGL to Vulkan (Zinc) but i'm unsure if it works on MacOS.
And Vulkan to Metal is called MoltenVK.

I'm not familiar with coding any of the graphics APIs or SDKs but it would be amazing if support was added to eduke32 for either of these... (MoltenVK or Zinc)

MoltenVK requires a Vulkan renderer which EDuke32 doesn't have. I don't know about Zink but it seems to be part of the graphics driver not the application so I don't think that's an option on MacOS either.

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 December 2021 - 08:19 PM, said:

MoltenVK requires a Vulkan renderer which EDuke32 doesn't have. I don't know about Zink but it seems to be part of the graphics driver not the application so I don't think that's an option on MacOS either.

Zink translates OpenGL -> Vullkan. So on Mac it would need MoltenVK too. Meaning you would be using two translation layers, that is probably not very good for performance.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options