Duke4.net Forums: Actor viewtype query - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Actor viewtype query

User is offline   MC84 

I've been experimenting with some actor/enemy sprites in mapster32 and found that the viewangles aren't displaying as I'd assumed they would. According to the wiki (under actions/<viewtype>);

"8 - The sprite will have 8 angles constructed from 8 art tiles. A new frame is drawn every 45 degrees in a clockwise pattern beginning with the front of the sprite."

So unless I'm thick my understanding is that the correct order of angles to be displayed is as pictured below;

The code I'm using is simply
action ACHUNKERWALKING	0 8 8 1 14

However in game the only angles that display correctly are 1 and 5 (ie front and back of actor). 2 and 8 are swapped, 3 and 7 are swapped, and 4 and 6 are swapped)

When I look at the original sprites, it seems as though the actor is constructed with 5 angles counter-clockwise from the front.

Point I'm getting as is this - is the wiki incorrect? And should I be constructing the actor in this order - 1,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 ?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: camera_setup.png

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

I assume that's a typo and should be "counter clockwise", since even viewtype 5 would have the art for tiles (in your example) 8, 7, and 6 flipped to create 2, 3, and 4.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostReaper_Man, on 13 October 2021 - 05:25 PM, said:

I assume that's a typo and should be "counter clockwise", since even viewtype 5 would have the art for tiles (in your example) 8, 7, and 6 flipped to create 2, 3, and 4.

Yeah I'm going to assume that as well. Going forward I'll rename the cameras in blender to correspond with this.

User is offline   jimbob 

the 8 sided one creates aditional angles by mirroring some iirc, you could use 7 wich uses 7 angles from front to back at about 30 degree angles and mirrors the other side. the pigtank, RPG rocket uses 7 angles, for reference. this results in the maximum amount of angles per actor i think

do keep in mind, you have now set up 8 animation frames, and 8 angles per actor. try it with just 1 animation frame first to see if all angles are displayed correctly

This post has been edited by jimbob: 19 October 2021 - 01:03 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options