Duke4.net Forums: "FreeDuke" Assets? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"FreeDuke" Assets?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 04 October 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

What's the point in a sprite replacement project, really? The base game is cheap and can easily be found for free.

You would think that but modern gamers are very lazy and you have to spoon-feed them. And I'm enough of a slut that I want those lazy people to play my mods. So I want to be able to distribute my Duke mods as standalone games and not worry about it. I personally don't really want to replace all the Duke IP with non-Duke stuff, it would be a compromise. What I would prefer is for the Duke content to be freeware, or failing that to achieve IP anarchy where its technically illegal to distribute but no one gives a fuck. We are almost there now.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 04 October 2021 - 11:43 PM, said:

FreeDoom looks horrible too, none of the replaced sprites have the creative charm of the original

This is a debatable opinion at best (unless you mean the really old versions of FD that is). I believe the work by raymoohawk, Urric and HorrorMovieGuy is quite good and has its charm too. Also some of the sprites are more detailed than their Doom counterparts.

And personally for me, I like the Lovecraftian alien invasion vibe more than Doom's demon invasion.

View PostDanukem, on 05 October 2021 - 11:05 AM, said:

I personally don't really want to replace all the Duke IP with non-Duke stuff, it would be a compromise.

But if you look at it from another angle, if you come up with creative and clever replacements for Duke stuff and have them done by a skilled artist (and you already know one), then you'd end up with a high-quality original game that pays homage to Duke while being its own thing from the ground up. Who'd say no to that?

And the sweetest thing is that you'd have complete control over your creation, without ever having to worry about copyright claims from anyone, or restrictive licenses that can be withheld at any moment, or any other inconvenience like that.

Oh, and I wanted to say cow cops is a stupid idea (kills the pun for sure) but then I remembered the game Crazy Cows.
Attached Image: cows-3.png

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 October 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

And personally for me, I like the Lovecraftian alien invasion vibe more than Doom's demon invasion.

Is that what's going on? I couldn't find a starting plot anywhere. The episode texts implied it was more of some kind of mutant experiment break out.

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 October 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

Who'd say no to that?

Just from the perspective of a fan, Alien Armageddon is probably the closest thing we have to a new proper Duke game we'll get for a very long time.

View PostNinety-Six, on 06 October 2021 - 03:15 PM, said:

Is that what's going on? I couldn't find a starting plot anywhere. The episode texts implied it was more of some kind of mutant experiment break out.

There've been various takes on the plot over the years, some better than others (you can look up some in the forums, there are some nice stories -- like here an interesting take plus a few links to other versions of the backstory), most never attained any official status. But I remember raymoohawk, who basically brought FD to the current art direction, saying that Lovecraftian eldritch horror was a major inspiration for what the old monster sprites were reworked into. (admittedly I cannot find the exact post where raymoohawk mentions Lovecraft right now, but it's probably somewhere in the sprite edits thread)

I'm not sure if this is already known, but apparently someone is/was working on a free/libre content for nBlood:
https://github.com/O...Plague/Ichor-3D

There's very little in terms of data in the repo yet, but perhaps someone here might want to contribute something.

View PostJimmy, on 04 October 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

What's the point in a sprite replacement project, really? The base game is cheap and can easily be found for free.

It has occurred to me that a free/libre data replacement of an entire GRP, similar to Freed∞m, could among other things serve as a "starter kit" for someone making their own stand-alone Build/EDuke32 engine game. I'm not sure how much demand there could be for this kind of assets, but I gather it has worked out pretty well with some Doom engine based projects that utilized stuff from Freed∞m.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options