Duke4.net Forums: How to change color palette in duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to change color palette in duke?  "How does one include more colors in it?"

User is offline   Shtovladya 

Looking for a document or form post that can help answer how to change pallettes?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

What are you after?
More altpal lookups or a complete different palette file?

The engine is limited to 256 simultaneous active colours unless you opt to go fully GL-only.
Palette files included in each build game hand pick these 256 shades and you can't really just change the palette without having to redo the art (or run through a conversion process, something that you will have to do yourself)

I think to create a unique standalone pallete to work with Eduke. to make it less like duke. Im okay with re-doing art.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

You will need to generate your own palette.dat with lookups.
rtcm has some tools you could use but a lot of this stuff require that you know absolutely what you are doing in terms of colour.
Base colours are the 256c you have and lookups are the ones that tell you which colour to pick depending on brightness or altpal (Again, remember that this palette will contain everything you can have on the screen at once)

In many cases if you wish to increase hues, you might need to start diminishing some colour ramps to B&W (or combining ramps) with increasing darkness as 256 entries do enforce a tradeoff between the amount of ramps vs. length of a ramp

View Postoasiz, on 28 August 2021 - 11:32 PM, said:

You will need to generate your own palette.dat with lookups.
rtcm has some tools you could use but a lot of this stuff require that you know absolutely what you are doing in terms of colour.
Base colours are the 256c you have and lookups are the ones that tell you which colour to pick depending on brightness or altpal (Again, remember that this palette will contain everything you can have on the screen at once)

In many cases if you wish to increase hues, you might need to start diminishing some colour ramps to B&W (or combining ramps) with increasing darkness as 256 entries do enforce a tradeoff between the amount of ramps vs. length of a ramp

Is there a good example to see a before and after on the palette.dat ? I know how to set the colors / define the colors I want

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

There are no good examples as far as I know since it's often a thing where you need to know exactly what you are doing as you will be modifying the entries directly and can often end up with a much worse end result.
Duke3D itself went through like 3 different palette TWEAKS before settling with the final.

I think you can load palette.dat's first 256 bytes in some image editors as an 16x16 RAW image to see the palette itself but remember that .DAT also contains the lookups.
With eduke you can at least mess with the alt/base palette entries separately so it's easier to test those 256 byte entries individually instead of having to rebuild the .DAT.

Remember again that the game has no clue on how to do transparency / distance shading with your hand picked colours until you have generated lookups manually. It will look completely wrong. (Part of having to know what you are doing).

This is not an action many do and most stick to d3d pal when doing their creations.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options