Duke4.net Forums: Splitscreen mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splitscreen mod  "2 players on the same computer"

Doom Legacy has splitscreen and I had lots of fun with it with my friends and brother. So why not bring it to Duke Nukem 3D? This has nothing to do with 'Gay'. So playing Halo splitscreen on Xbox, is gay too?

This post has been edited by Simon_Croes: 13 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHelixhorned, on 13 August 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

- Draw HUD weapons. Maybe Hendricks' CON port of the weapon drawing code can be used?

All you would have to do is adjust the master y position, make sure that weaponcount and company point to the correct player, and it should be good to go.

On a side note, I have considered making a statusbar.con.sample in the same fashion but I have shied away from it because of all the separate pieces that need to be drawn. I think this would be helpful for the project, so I will officially add it to my list.

- Add support for two mice in EDuke32.

If you are going to do that, could you also look into supporting multiple joysticks in some fashion? The most outstanding deficiency of the Wii port is that GameCube controllers are not yet supported because they fall under a separate joystick, whereas sdlayer is programmed to only use [0].

View PostPaul B, on 13 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

I dont mean to sound rude. While it is an interesting concept, its really not practical for Duke. Why not just enable the real multiplayer. I don't see the fun in sharing a screen or a keyboard it's kind of gay. But nowdays gay seems to be the accepted norm. =S

It is practical when a user only has one computer, or when multiplayer is broken. There is nothing gay about it. It's hand on keyboard, not hand on dick.

User is offline   Paul B 

Yup, I'm not a fan of split screen anything. I prefer the two player side scrollers over split screen. Yes, Halo is gay but at least the players have their own controllers and don't have to sit in the other players lap. Personally, I like to have the screen all to myself and I do not like sharing half the screen with anyone and it becomes too much blurry eyestrain. The word PC stands for Personal Computer not GANG BANG Computer. I can see the reasoning behind consoles but they were designed this way so everyone has their own controller to make due under the circumstances.

The only game that I played and loved which was split screen was the Super NES Mario Kart but that was the only one and it was a console game not a PC game.

In 2012 the average Joe has 2 to 4 computers in their home with over half the world connected to high speed internet using what is called TCP/IP. The only good I can see coming from this is that it will bring more attention to the multi player and maybe we'll see the day where multi player is functional again. I'm not good at sharing my keyboard and monitor and I don't like people invading my personal space. If you guys like to huddle around and sit on each other’s laps while using the same keyboard and screen. You go girl! If one person likes this feature then at least it satisfies someone... just not me.

LOL @ Hendricks266 – Exactly why I don’t want to touch someone else’s keyboard and mouse. Nasty ass Clowns!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   bh1002 

I seem to be having trouble at the moment. How do I map the controls for the second player? I've checked the readme and nothing helped out.

Can someone help?

View Postbh1002, on 13 August 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

I seem to be having trouble at the moment. How do I map the controls for the second player? I've checked the readme and nothing helped out.

Can someone help?

If you downloaded the last updated version that Helixhorned posted you should go to keyboard settings. The player 2 controls should be in green. Hope that helps.

User is offline   bh1002 

View PostSimon_Croes, on 13 August 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

If you downloaded the last updated version that Helixhorned posted you should go to keyboard settings. The player 2 controls should be in green. Hope that helps.

I found it, thank you. and one more question. is it possible to map the mouse to the second player?

View PostPaul B, on 13 August 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

at least the players have their own controllers and don't have to sit in the other players lap.

You can still have your own controller in this. Plug a USB Xbox 360 controller in, get Xpadder, put in the info for what keys you are using and voila: a controller all to yourself, so you don't have to "sit in the other player's lap".
Or, hell, just get any kind of USB controller in and you can still set it up to certain keys. But then again, considering the unintelligent and generally asshole-ish remarks you are making, you are probably in Middle School and configuring a controller for Duke Nukem 3d is mad gay, and you should be playing Call of Duty instead.

User is offline   Gambini 

I agree about it being a little bit gay ;) but it is practical. Split screen games are deprecated by online multiplayer. and it´s not the same. it´s not the same.

I´m sure two little guys here will have a lot of fun with it. I´m downloading Helixhorned´s version right away.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostGambini, on 13 August 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

I agree about it being a little bit gay ;) but it is practical. Split screen games are deprecated by online multiplayer. and it´s not the same. it´s not the same.

I´m sure two little guys here will have a lot of fun with it. I´m downloading Helixhorned´s version right away.

Yes, it is very practical and infact initially when I posted I completely forgot about Co-op Play.. I had VS on the brain for some reason. It's too bad more games don't include CO-OP now. I really wish they would bring it back because that's what made a lot of these older games so much fun. I miss the days when you could play through a game with someone from start to finish!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Mmmmm, this thread is looking pretty clean.

I'll be trying out Helixhorned's version shortly on my tv ;)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

- Draw HUD weapons. Maybe Hendricks' CON port of the weapon drawing code can be used?

"Maybe"?

User is offline   Jblade 

Can we stop calling everything 'gay' like fucking 10 year olds?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostJames, on 13 August 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Can we stop calling everything 'gay' like fucking 10 year olds?

http://forums.duke4....008#entry134008 Keep it going there or something

Leave this poor thread alone ;)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 13 August 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

"Maybe"?

?

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm not discussing anything, I'm just saying my teenage step-brothers do it and it's the most infuriating thing I've ever heard and seeing adults do it is just as bad.

Anyways it's nice to see this get off the ground with some support from helixhorned, it's something I'm sure many people could use and would like. I've played Doom with the splitscreen port and that was fun (although kinda nausea inducing due to how fast the Doomguy moves)

This post has been edited by James: 14 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Wow, I didn't think people would still care about that mod (and even update it). I haven't played Duke3D for 2 or 3 years, but when I see what has been said here (thanks to t800 for bringing this to my attention), I'll try to come back to update this mod (by next month however, I don't have time currently and I don't even have a properly working copy of EDuke32 on my Linux computer at the moment).

User is offline   t800 

I want to thank both of you, guys:
Helixhorned - for updating this mod, making new versions of Eduke32 compatible with it and reviving community interest in it
Bloodclaw - for creating this amazing mod (and in its time very daring, but sadly quickly forgotten) and for your enthusiasm in continuing work on it

I have 3 suggestions:
- modern statusbar
- make map functional (if it is not possible to make it work seperately for both players, then make it cover entire screen)
- add new aspect ratio mode for splitscreen (auto has too narrow vision compared to default from 2009 version and others are too stretched)

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPaul B, on 13 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

I dont mean to sound rude. While it is an interesting concept, its really not practical for Duke. Why not just enable the real multiplayer.

Unless the real multiplayer shit is completed and stable, otherwise I would count it never exist.

Why not thinking about the splitscreen MP in PSX Duke Nukem 3D port, DN:TM? Players must "sharing" the same console and TV to play together, do you really think those PSX players are......oh shit... ;)

I agree it may weird but I cannot see what's wrong with this function at all. Especifically if I want playing most recently MP mods/maps with my friend. Yeah, gay or not, but is really matter when it's fun?

The Legacy port of DooM's splitscreen is working fine, but too bad the port engine isn't. At least have some fun with it. (Serious Sam one didn't try but I think if SS can and even PSX port can too, why PC and eduke32 one can't?? ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Well, I didn't expect an innocuous mod like this give rise to such absurd mental leaps, but thankfully that offtopic stuff has been taken to the other thread (and put back on track by sensible people).

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

All you would have to do is adjust the master y position, make sure that weaponcount and company point to the correct player, and it should be good to go.

Alright cool, I'll check that out.

If you are going to do that, could you also look into supporting multiple joysticks in some fashion? The most outstanding deficiency of the Wii port is that GameCube controllers are not yet supported because they fall under a separate joystick, whereas sdlayer is programmed to only use [0].

For multiple mice, I'm looking into ManyMouse, but I don't know whether a similar thing exists for joysticks or gamepads.

View Postt800, on 14 August 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

- add new aspect ratio mode for splitscreen (auto has too narrow vision compared to default from 2009 version and others are too stretched)

The FOV is like this because I enabled new-aspect determination for scenes drawn through showview. This was made so that it wouldn't look squished in a double-screen setup, but since new-aspect maintains a constant vertical FOV, it looks very narrow on a single monitor. As a temporary workaround, you can set r_usenewaspect=0 in the console (at the expense of potentially making square things rectangular), but in the long run, it is planned that showview will take various options of how exactly the user wants to have the viewport drawn.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHelixhorned, on 14 August 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

For multiple mice, I'm looking into ManyMouse, but I don't know whether a similar thing exists for joysticks or gamepads.

From what I remember when I looked into the input code two months ago, the actual joystick access is at fingertips in both sdlayer and winlayer, but both only utilize the first joystick, and on the game side all the joystick code is programmed to only look at a single entry.

I remember back when i was a little kid (now i'm a big kid), i used to play splitscreen with my friends. It's more fun when you are two people playing at one computer, it feels more cooperative than sitting on each others computer.
I must admit that i do hate it when the screen gets so small that i can't see anything ;)

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 14 August 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I must admit that i do hate it when the screen gets so small that i can't see anything ;)

Yeah, my eyes got hurt because I needed watch the screen with more power than usual.
(Back then, a 14" CRT with splitscreen made anything just small as ants...and most the time, just some pixelated blocks and blurry things... :|)

But at least, it still fun and it's just the only big problem that harms about your health by the game. ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 15 August 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yeah, my eyes got hurt because I needed watch the screen with more power than usual.
(Back then, a 14" CRT with splitscreen made anything just small as ants...and most the time, just some pixelated blocks and blurry things... :|)

But at least, it still fun and it's just the only big problem that harms about your health by the game. ;)

LOL. with 4 peoples split screen, you could have like 4 pixels each or something?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It worked on the N64. And I'm pretty sure monitors nowadays can display in a higher resolution than that. Just a wild guess.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 August 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

It worked on the N64. And I'm pretty sure monitors nowadays can display in a higher resolution than that. Just a wild guess.

Yep, and the N64's native resolution was 320x240.

User is offline   Fox 

Duke Nukem 64 resolution is 556 x 416.

User is offline   m210® 

I just tested eduke32 rev2915 with splitscr.con and it have a little error - not drawing screen for second player if he is in SOS sectors area.
For fix this problem, it will be necessary to use updatesectorz instead updatesector
// Took this code from the wiki
// It show player 1 view
  getplayer[THISACTOR].posx px
  getplayer[THISACTOR].posy py
  getplayer[THISACTOR].posz pz
  getplayer[THISACTOR].ang pang
  getplayer[THISACTOR].horiz phoriz
  getplayer[THISACTOR].horizoff phorizoff
  addvarvar phoriz phorizoff
  updatesectorz px py pz psect
  ifvarg psect -1
    showviewunbiased px py pz pang phoriz psect 0 0 160 199
// -------------------------------------
// Player 2 view
  getplayer[pid].posx px
  getplayer[pid].posy py
  getplayer[pid].posz pz
  getplayer[pid].ang pang
  getplayer[pid].horiz phoriz
  getplayer[pid].horizoff phorizoff
  addvarvar phoriz phorizoff
  updatesectorz px py pz psect
  ifvarg psect -1
    showviewunbiased px py pz pang phoriz psect 160 0 319 199
// -------------------------------------

User is offline   m210® 

And maybe horizontal splitscreen will be better? A made someone, look at this:

Spoiler

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by M210: 17 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Very nice M210!!! I think it's much better this way ;) lot of improvements!

User is offline   Fox 

Ahhh, much better!

My only criticism is that you shouldn't force the gun position. I know the weapons will be barely visible, but that's how things are. I am quite not sure about the HUD customization either, or at least that shouldn't the focus for this mod.

Edit: I have tried it, and it seems the weapons are just partially coded, so ignore this.

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options