Duke4.net Forums: Splitscreen mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splitscreen mod  "2 players on the same computer"

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Update of 09/19/2009 : Beta 1 release

Download here

This mod allow 2 people to play on the same computer.
The mouse and keyboard control the first player, as normal.
The second player is controlled with 1st player unessential controls : the 4 Look keys, the 2 Aim keys (mouse take care of it) and all the 10 weapons key (you may use next and previous weapon).

Posted Image

Bugs known (Cannot fix most of them, lack of skills) :
- Night vision googles and underwater effects apply for both players
- When player 1 die, both views will be buggued. This is because it try to rotate the screen, but the script prevent it each tics.
- Only player 1 can hear sounds. That mean you'll hear player 2 sounds only when player 1 is near.
- When you aim up / down too much, you may see some black space.

Notes :
I used weapon icons instead of normal weapons because it is much easier to draw.
Inventory selection doesn't show because it take too much time to write (and I did not manage to find a shorter way to do that).
The mod only support up to two players. That will probably be fixed in later releases.
There is currently no way to have horizontal splitscreen.
You can't choose player 2 name and color.

Installation instructions are in the readme.

Download here

This post has been edited by Bloodclaw: 19 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

User is offline   XThX2 

I think James coded the Duke's original hud, if he is willing to give it to you just resize them by the ZOOM value of rotatesprite commands. Good luck with the movement part of the 2nd player though ;) Cool idea.

This post has been edited by XThX2: 16 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

That's an amazing idea. And you will be able to play with 2 gamepads in cooperative mode?

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 16 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

Any controller should works.

You just need to bind your buttons to Weapon#, Aim Up/Down or Look <Somewhere> buttons.

User is offline   Sangman 

Way cool!

User is offline   Devan 

Nice. I remember trying to make some splitscreen mod, but I did practically nothing. By the way, will it be possible to make the screen split horizontally?

I may add a feature for that later, but I will need to modify all hud elements coords, and views may look a bit stretched.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't see it being practical, but it's really cool to see the engine is capable of this.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

One of the Doom ports has this built in, but it doesn't work well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If you want to play with someone else in your home, get a second computer and play on a LAN. Buy a cheap computer off of ebay or cragslist -- there are plenty of desperate people selling cheap right now. This mod would be a big wasted effort imo.

It will be impossible to perfectly emulate a player with a useractor. If you really want to do it right, have the second player take over a fake multiplayer bot and feed their inputs directly into the bot player's input structure. You would still need to redo the hud and it would still be a major pain in the ass for something that hardly anyone will be able to play.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 16 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

If you really want to do it right, have the second player take over a fake multiplayer bot and feed their inputs directly into the bot player's input structure.

Thanks! I didn't know we could use setinput to control other players.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 16 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

If you want to play with someone else in your home, get a second computer and play on a LAN. Buy a cheap computer off of ebay or cragslist -- there are plenty of desperate people selling cheap right now. This mod would be a big wasted effort imo.

It will be impossible to perfectly emulate a player with a useractor. If you really want to do it right, have the second player take over a fake multiplayer bot and feed their inputs directly into the bot player's input structure. You would still need to redo the hud and it would still be a major pain in the ass for something that hardly anyone will be able to play.

I also foresee really bad frame rate issues.

Bump, beta 1 released.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Haven't checked this out because I have no real use for it, but "mad props" for creating something original with Build/EDuke32. This is exactly the kind of thinking outside the box that I like to see done around here.

That is pretty awesome, i will test it later.
This could come in useful, if i can't get the icculus port to work with sega dreamcast, i might try porting eduke32 to it instaead and using this, as i'm guessing you need eduke to run it right?

This is an interesting idea, could come in useful on the PC as well come to think of it, seeing as i could never challenge my friend due to his machines crappy networking.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Not a bad idea, but I don't think it will works as it should. The screen support only one palette, etc.

Other than that, you should split it horizontally, just like Duke Nukem 64. Hmm, Duke 64 also includes a 1px line separating the screen.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

View PostHigh Treason, on Aug 19 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

That is pretty awesome, i will test it later.
This could come in useful, if i can't get the icculus port to work with sega dreamcast, i might try porting eduke32 to it instaead and using this, as i'm guessing you need eduke to run it right?

This is an interesting idea, could come in useful on the PC as well come to think of it, seeing as i could never challenge my friend due to his machines crappy networking.

Didn't know DC could run eduke32 :blink:
But yeah this is a great idea, kudos

User is offline   m210® 

View PostBloodclaw, on Jul 16 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

There is currently no way to have horizontal splitscreen.

Why not? :blink:
It have to write
// Took this code from the wiki
// It show player 1 view

showview px py pz pang phoriz psect 1 1 319 100
// -------------------------------------
// Player 2 view

showview px py pz pang phoriz psect 1 100 319 199

And I find a strange bug - sometimes the player spontaneously moves and does not give in to management.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.gif

View PostM210, on Aug 20 2009, 02:42 AM, said:

Why not? :blink:
It have to write
// Took this code from the wiki
// It show player 1 view

showview px py pz pang phoriz psect 1 1 319 100
// -------------------------------------
// Player 2 view

showview px py pz pang phoriz psect 1 100 319 199

That's why I said "currently". I mean there is no way to split it horizontally in the mod, but it may have this feature later.

View PostM210, on Aug 20 2009, 02:42 AM, said:

And I find a strange bug - sometimes the player spontaneously moves and does not give in to management.

You mean player 2 is moving on its own? That's a bug with Eduke32 (maybe Duke3D in general), fake players start moving slowly after some time.

This post has been edited by Bloodclaw: 20 August 2009 - 02:11 AM

User is offline   NY00123 

As an idea, this is a neat idea. And so is the implementation, considering the fact it isn't trivial.

The greatest issue I can see is an unfairness between the two players.

Now this is good if one can't afford another PC or so.
Alternatively, according to my understanding, only one copy of Duke is required in order to play such kind of multi-player legally :blink:

Of course, an internal implementation like in Doom Legacy and Serious Sam would be better,
but I guess there are very few people who'd like it, so it doesn't worth the effort.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 20 August 2009 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   XThX2 

Why is there no weapon displayed on HUD for player? It'll be odd to fire with the gun sprite only...

View PostBloodclaw, on Jul 16 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

I used weapon icons instead of normal weapons because it is much easier to draw.

It may take time to redo every weapons twice (with their own animations and all).

This post has been edited by Bloodclaw: 20 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

I love this idea, i may try this with my older son, we can beat some maps together.

Keep the good work up, issues will surely get fixed. You know, some people can not affort to buy a new computer just to play Duke with two players. This may be not perfect and surely the 2nd player´d be in disadvantage, but there are no split-screen games anymore, since all the fucks play via internet now.

User is offline   bh1002 

AH! I'm too late to download now that the link is missing!

User is offline   Lunick 

You're about 2-3 years too late..

User is offline   t800 

View Postbh1002, on 11 August 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

AH! I'm too late to download now that the link is missing!

You have such a good luck! I just searched my old backup of duke mods and I found it! But beware - this mod doesnt work with newer versions than the ones from 2009. I tested it with the latest one and older versions from years ´10, ´11 and ´12 and second player had his half of screen filled with big black square and his controls didnt work. BTW at first run you should remap controls (I recommend not using mouse and enable autoaiming).
It is sad that this mod died so soon. IMO it had great potential. I think that if it gained enough popularity and acceptance by eduke32 community sooner or later it would be integrated into eduke32. ;)
BTW There is no duke port with splits creen support and doom has only legacy.

P.S. Check your PMs.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by t800: 12 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

Wow, I never noticed that this was released. This is kinda fun to play

User is offline   bh1002 

Thanks! ;)

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

This is good stuff! I'm somewhat of a fan of splitscreen/many-players-on-one-PC[1] games. So many fond memories blasting each other in Wacky Wheels or Rampart...

In the most recent EDuke32 revision, I brought back support for fake multi-mode on which this mod relies, and added a handful of hacks so that the experience feels more well-rounded overall. Also, this post includes a modified version with various performance and beauty tweaks. In fact, I like it so much that I'm considering adding it to the EDuke32 repository and maintaining it further, since it's small, but interesting enough to get some additional support. What do you think, Bloodclaw?

Some things to do:
- Draw HUD weapons. Maybe Hendricks' CON port of the weapon drawing code can be used?
- Add support for two mice in EDuke32.
- More tweaks towards both players feeling the same.

Tip: span your desktop over two monitors... ;)

[1] This is not exactly the same as "hotseat" apparently, heh.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Paul B 

I dont mean to sound rude. While it is an interesting concept, its really not practical for Duke. Why not just enable the real multiplayer. I don't see the fun in sharing a screen or a keyboard it's kind of gay. But nowdays gay seems to be the accepted norm. =S

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options