Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Iceberg - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Iceberg

User is online   zykov eddy 

I thought Duke 3D deserves its own version of the Iceberg meme, so I put this together.

Posted Image

User is offline   ck3D 

Shit, that got me good. Honestly as a mapper, just seeing 'wall limit' hurt the most. Otherwise great picks all around, backing his initiative; usually not a meme person and yet I'm still laughing like an imbecile as I'm typing this. Thanks. My only complaint (French me will be French me) would be E3L5 staging the moon landing should be a bit higher up perhaps. I always thought that one was really obvious, before I even really heard about the actual theory.

In fact I had never thought about the following before but it's rather funny how E3L5 depicts that after you, the player, literally just came back from a whole episode of space.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 01 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

That's pretty cool (no pun intended).

The only one I don't get is the Midget trooper. Who is it?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Now you have to make a YouTube video where you explain each one.

User is offline   ck3D 

^ That's definitely enough content for one of a sufficient length to monetize, too. He might make at least two Google dollars a year out of it.

User is offline   Ax 34noff 

I know Quake has "You're not supposed to be here" but i didn't know Duke has too, though i like Duke much more than Quake.

Dr.Panico, on 01 April 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

The only one I don't get is the Midget trooper. Who is it?

It's referring to the shrinker bug. If you shrink troopers and attack them, they will regain their ai, while being small.

User is offline   NNC 

Top row should be strippers only. That's literally the only thing most people remember from this game sady.

User is offline   ck3D 

The Watchtower, on 01 April 2021 - 10:51 AM, said:

Top row should be strippers only. That's literally the only thing most people remember from this game sady.

But then where does "Vice article" fit in?

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I've always disagreed with the moon landing thing for Movie Set. It really doesn't in any way resemble any of the photos, as not even the flag is present and the ship doesn't even come close to matching the lunar lander. I know it's 1996 Build engine but they could have drawn a sprite to put on the wall or something if that's what they were going for. Considering an entire texture set exists to recreate the bridge of the TNG Enterprise alongside special death sprites for famous characters, I think it's well within the realm of reason for them to create something much more reminiscent of the moon landing conspiracy if that's actually what they were aiming for. I think it's literally just for the movie they're filming (which is the entirety of episode 2, apparently. That there is the real conspiracy).

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 01 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

^
I agree, besides filming a fake moon landing doesn't really make sense in Duke's universe. Since there are actual moon bases in the game. ;)

User is offline   ck3D 

Ninety-Six, on 01 April 2021 - 07:30 PM, said:

I've always disagreed with the moon landing thing for Movie Set. It really doesn't in any way resemble any of the photos, as not even the flag is present and the ship doesn't even come close to matching the lunar lander. I know it's 1996 Build engine but they could have drawn a sprite to put on the wall or something if that's what they were going for. Considering an entire texture set exists to recreate the bridge of the TNG Enterprise alongside special death sprites for famous characters, I think it's well within the realm of reason for them to create something much more reminiscent of the moon landing conspiracy if that's actually what they were aiming for. I think it's literally just for the movie they're filming (which is the entirety of episode 2, apparently. That there is the real conspiracy).

That's right, and that real conspiracy is referenced in-game by the Lunar Apocalypse film posters you see in episode 3, too. So I shouldn't have said 'the moon landing' but 'a moon landing', even canonically Duke 3D takes place immediately after Duke Nukem II which was set in space on the Rigelatins' planet. Plus even prior to that in the first Duke Nukem game (set in the 'near future' of 1997), you end up on the moon then eventually come back to write a famous book on your life story, so even in the story, at that point someone (at the very least you and Proton) has famously landed on the moon already.

So personally I still sense that the inclusion of that section in Movie Set is a reference to the theory of the original moon landing being fake (with Kubrick supposedly being hired for the footage), but it's a more meta reference than it is something downright explicit and was implemented in the game in a way that's perfectly coherent with its own universe. In fact I would find it interesting to know how that whole joke came about exactly. I know Movie Set was supposed to be a DM level originally, there was some confusion at some point in development regarding episode order as well (think for instance the BOSS2/BOSS3 thing where they're switched around), and then the joke is carried over using several tiles in the .art which means some considerable thought was put into it (earlier? later?). Come to think of it, honestly, just that sub-plot adds a lot to the feel of coherence in the base game and bridges the gap in theme between episode 2 and 3 very efficiently in the player's subconscious.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 April 2021 - 12:39 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've always thought that the movie set level is simply emphasising Duke's celebrity status: no sooner he defeated the Lunar Overlord that he's starring in a movie about that feat as himself.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Night Strike Duke :wub:

User is offline   jkas789 

I agree with Phredreeke on this one zykov eddy, it would make for an interesting you tube video. You should go for it!

Also I kinda only know about 3/4 at best of all this references
:P

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Fake moon landing my ass. What about "Lunar Apocalypse", then? :rolleyes:

User is offline   Aleks 

NightFright, on 06 April 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

Fake moon landing my ass. What about "Lunar Apocalypse", then? :rolleyes:

You mean that movie starring Duke Nukem? Posted Image

User is offline   ck3D 

Well in a way, both moon landing deniers and episode 2 deniers are people that exist. There may or may not be some overlap.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 07 April 2021 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

zykov eddy, on 01 April 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

I thought Duke 3D deserves its own version of the Iceberg meme, so I put this together.

Posted Image

You forgot to put ReDuked at the bottom lol. BTW what's the deal with haunted Abyss?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 08 April 2021 - 08:55 PM

Mike Norvak, on 08 April 2021 - 08:54 PM, said:

BTW what's the deal with haunted Abyss?

I think it's in reference to the ghostly moaning and chanting you can hear once you reach the pueblo ruins.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Ninety-Six, on 08 April 2021 - 09:29 PM, said:

I think it's in reference to the ghostly moaning and chanting you can hear once you reach the pueblo ruins.

Oh right, so there lives the ghost of ancient people? but it happens to be invaded by aliens as well, I haven't even understand what actually that level is supposed to take place yet

Mike Norvak, on 09 April 2021 - 11:55 AM, said:

I haven't even understand what actually that level is supposed to take place yet

Pretty sure it's either set in the Mojave Desert or the Colorado. Duke geography isn't exactly the most realistic depiction, but given that the previous level (Toxic Dump) is set in or near Long Beach, and that the San Andreas Fault is a key part of the level, which runs through both. There is the Great Basin, but that's much further north and is nowhere near the San Andreas fault line.

I kinda want to know more about the "Elevator to Nowhere." I'm not sure if that's something specific in Dark Side I never heard about, or if it's referring to the infinite elevator glitch (which, if I remember right, is a glitch with all elevators that use a secret teleport).

Ninety-Six, on 09 April 2021 - 06:36 PM, said:

Pretty sure it's either set in the Mojave Desert or the Colorado. Duke geography isn't exactly the most realistic depiction, but given that the previous level (Toxic Dump) is set in or near Long Beach, and that the San Andreas Fault is a key part of the level, which runs through both. There is the Great Basin, but that's much further north and is nowhere near the San Andreas fault line.

I kinda want to know more about the "Elevator to Nowhere." I'm not sure if that's something specific in Dark Side I never heard about, or if it's referring to the infinite elevator glitch (which, if I remember right, is a glitch with all elevators that use a secret teleport).

It's some sort unfinished secret or something.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0015.png

Well I'll be damned. 25 years on and I'm still learning new things about this game.

hey i'm actually working on a script/ research doc on this! i wanted to ask if it's alright if i ever actually recorded audio and uploaded the video to youtube, crediting you of course

zykov eddy, on 10 April 2021 - 05:32 AM, said:

It's some sort unfinished secret or something.

Another possibility is that the elevator might have been put in before slopes were added to the Build engine, to make it possible to negotiate the height difference, and after the slope was added, no one bothered to de-tag the elevator sector.
(Earlier versions of the level might (dis)prove this, but I'm not unlazy enough to check at the moment.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 27 March 2022 - 08:36 AM

What's with...
...Void zone? (Is that the same as the vacuum/no gravity zone that kills you?)
...Anaal Ric Oot?
...Alien language?

Altered Reality, on 06 April 2022 - 06:48 PM, said:

...Anaal Ric Oot?

I don't know what this is.

Void zone is the e1l8 map used as a sort of placeholder for playing usermaps (still from DOS era i bet)

"Anaal Ric Oot" is a phrase written near the "stream with steam" next to blue keycard in e3l3 "Flood Zone" - recently found its existence and meaning but i cannot find it again

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

...Void zone? (Is that the same as the vacuum/no gravity zone that kills you?)

Placeholder name for the level after User Map.

Caused some confusion among fans for years... perhaps they should have named E1L9 "Quit game after User Map ended"

...Anaal Ric Oot?

ANAAL OOTHRIC is the Gaelic term for "dragon's breath"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options