• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury Voxel Pack

User is offline   jkas789 

Man you have been on a roll!

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Added 7935:

Posted Image

I hope Voidpoint will add an option to disable transparency via DEF for voxels, they look like shit in Polymost:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 08 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

Added 9522 and 9527:

Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDzierzan, on 08 October 2021 - 06:09 AM, said:

I hope Voidpoint will add an option to disable transparency via DEF for voxels, they look like shit in Polymost:

Posted Image

Wonder if this can be resolved by some form of backface/occlusion culling? (So only the frontmost faces are drawn) Also, I notice that there's some bugginess, some faces that are supposed to be drawn, aren't...

Leo, according to your suggestion here https://forums.duke4...post__p__366355, I changed pivots for wooden railings to be default. Yeah, I shouldn't have touched those offsets.

I hope you know how to make Pull Request on Github, this would be more convenient for me and good for git history.

A good example why maphacks are needed, double ladder! I know, I know, two sprites for shading. Just one has to be moved underground or disabled (notmd in DEF).

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 02 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

EDuke32 / VoidSW - r9751
---
8970754aa | [terminx] engine: add "notrans" .def token for voxels to disable drawing with translucency in GL modes

Thank you! Now it looks better in Polymost.

Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 02 November 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

I hope you know how to make Pull Request on Github, this would be more convenient for me and good for git history.
Actually no. I've avoided that topic so far. I guess I should learn it now. Do I need to join your project team somehow, like it seems to be necessary with EDuke32, or is a normal GitHub account sufficient?

Everybody can make a pull request, so yeah, a generic account is enough. I recommend using GitKraken, so you don't have to learn git commands and there are simple tutorials for that. Just remember that if you make changes, make a branch using my master branch, newbies can make a pull request using their master branch instead. Technically speaking I can merge that, but it's a better habit making seperate branches.

Make branch (right click on "main"):

Posted Image

Makes changes and stage them, write Summary:

Posted Image

Push your changes:

Posted Image

And then make a pull request (your branch needs to be checked out [being selected]):

Posted Image

If it's too hard or there are issues, I can just take stuff from you in the end.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 06 November 2021 - 07:56 AM, said:

Everybody can make a pull request, so yeah, a generic account is enough. I recommend using GitKraken, so you don't have to learn git commands and there are simple tutorials for that. Just remember that if you make changes, make a branch using my master branch, newbies can make a pull request using their master branch instead. Technically speaking I can merge that, but it's a better habit making seperate branches.
If it's too hard or there are issues, I can just take stuff from you in the end.
Nah, I knew that I would have to get there one day. Since I'm kind of used to TortoiseSVN, and prefer FOSS in general, I'll give TortoiseGit a shot first.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Initial maphack commit for the IFVP...

Despite an embarrassing lack of understanding I've somewhat found my way around to contributing to Git repos.
Spoiler
Those who've missed it should check out the Ion Fury maphack post I had put into the wrong thread. (Actually it's post #2368 somewhat above; the forum's link creation feature no longer works correctly.)

Compared to the Duke3D HRP and its MD3 models there is probably less work to do, since the pickup voxels are already part of the game's release. On the other hand, there's a lot more detail in the maps. :)

If you want to check out were I'm heading to, I have prepared a ready-to-use IFVP-with-maphacks sneak-peek you can download here. However, for the time being, "moving" voxels is only provided by a patched executable ('notrans' feature from main branch included). Rename the *.exe of your choice to "fury.exe".
Use/Installation:
- Simply unzip the IFVP into your Ion Fury folder.
OR
- Drop the ZIP into the autoload folder, and add the line "NoAutoLoad = 0" to the [Setup] section of fury.cfg.
OR
- Command line invocation: fury.exe -g IonFuryVoxelPack.zip
OR
- The grpinfo way: create fury-voxelpack-91.grpinfo with the following content, and move away the original fury.grpinfo or rename its extension (like grpinfoX)
Spoiler

Your fury.log/eduke32.log should contain one or more lines similar to this after playing:
Loaded map hack file "maphacks/usermaps/foobar.mhk"

The most noteworthy improvements in the few maps I've processed so far can be found in Ionpiercer and in the first original level's (The All-Seeing Eye, z1a1.map) Technoir bar + The Playful Noodle restaurant.

For quick and easy comparisons, this excerpt from my settings.cfg might be interesting:
Spoiler
@Dzierzan: about the fence-like sprites mentioned earlier - would you prefer issue reports about the ones I consider to be change-worthy in addition to those WOODEN_RAILINGs, or rather merge requests? (Moving the pivot is my only ability concerning voxels at least.)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 07 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

@Dzierzan: about the fence-like sprites mentioned earlier - would you prefer issue reports about the ones I consider to be change-worthy in addition to those WOODEN_RAILINGs, or rather merge requests? (Moving the pivot is my only ability concerning voxels at least.)

Just make pull requests. I trust you in what you are doing.

@Leo
Lamp posts will also require maphacks, as the top is usually misaligned with the base. Anyway, here's the lamp:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 08 November 2021 - 12:44 PM

BTW Leo, I added new maphacks on my own and they seem to be not working. As a matter of fact, I think maphacks are not loaded at all. Are you able to verify that?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 09 November 2021 - 10:35 AM, said:

BTW Leo, I added new maphacks on my own and they seem to be not working. As a matter of fact, I think maphacks are not loaded at all. Are you able to verify that?
You are right. Check my pull request though (will fix it). In voidpoint_mhk.def, only the existing mhk files are activated so far. Sorry, should have told you. Thanks to syntax highlighting it's obvious to me. C-style comments ( /* */ ) are used. Since there appear to be no warning messages in the log if a defined *.mhk doesn't exist, all MHK could be activated by default, if you prefer that.

Btw, it seems that the 9981/9982 cockroach voxels never show up ingame. :( They appear upright in Mapster 3D, but as flat textures during gameplay. I assume they are turned floor-aligned upon spawn. The xrepeat/yrepeat values set in Mapster 2D are ignored as well, and they will always be standard size.

Yeah, cockroaches will not render as voxels as they are floor oriented. Pity.

Yeah, let's just add empty maphacks for now. So one will not have to remember about activation.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 09 November 2021 - 11:27 AM, said:

Yeah, let's just add empty maphacks for now. So one will not have to remember about activation.
Done.
You have added the author name to z2a1.mhk. Is there an official list? I have scraped them from tags in 2D mode so far.

Emmm... I did indeed added that, probably I didn't think too much about that. Might be wrong as well.

Now maphacks work for me.

Added 11291 and 10973

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostDzierzan, on 08 November 2021 - 12:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   SolivaN 

thanks for this great job men, i love ion fury

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Voxel request : 8163 - 8165
Seems simple - copy/paste the topmost steps of ladders 8280 - 8282
Attached Image: z1a4-ladder.jpg

I updated 3 main ladders and I added missing ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Added 11427:

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

When I found the unicorn I immediately thought that this one should be a voxel model. :dukeaffirmative:

Added 3663-3668

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 05 May 2022 - 12:15 PM

Added 11071-11073. Leo, I am sure this will require maphacks because it has seperate sprite for its back.

Posted Image

I voxelized 8294-8299. Well, I didn't expect those sprites to be used like that. I mean in below's case, I thought those were textures or something. What should I do? Leave it like that? It doesn't look that bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 07 May 2022 - 02:34 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 07 May 2022 - 01:30 PM, said:

Added 11071-11073. Leo, I am sure this will require maphacks because it has seperate sprite for its back.
Maybe not. See z1a4.map. Sprite #4377 (tile11070 ART) lies within sprite #4376 (11072_METER_ON.kvx) and is invisible. However, a mapper might forget to prevent them from rotating towards the player. I suggest creating 11070_METER_BACK.kvx by removing the two front rows of voxels from 1107?_METER_*.kvx and turning it by 180°. This way it should always be invisible when used in the typical way like in this example. And not flicker like the two-sided railings with different shades.

View PostDzierzan, on 07 May 2022 - 02:31 PM, said:

I voxelized 8294-8299. Well, I didn't expect those sprites to be used like that. I mean in below's case, I thought those were textures or something. What should I do? Leave it like that? It doesn't look that bad.
Leave it as is. The notmd maphack command is our friend here and I will take care of that. We might reconsider if it should turn out that these are [meant to be] used as sprite-art only, like in that bar.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 08 May 2022 - 12:15 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 07 May 2022 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostLeoD, on 08 May 2022 - 12:11 AM, said:

Leave it as is. The notmd maphack command is our friend here and I will take care of that. We might reconsider if it should turn out that these are [meant to be] used as sprite-art only, like in that bar.
I chose not to notmd those lamps, but slightly move them inwards. Good compromise I think:
Attached Image: duke0013.jpg
Elsewhere we get quite some additional detail. Btw., I found another 'missing' voxmodel, #06466, maybe has more relatives:
Attached Image: duke0014.jpg Attached Image: duke0015.jpg Attached Image: tile06466.jpg

User is offline   jkas789 

Just wanted to report a voxel... problem? In the map Fan Service in the following location:

Attached Image: duke0010.png

There seems to be 2 voxel fences overlapping each other.

Attached Image: duke0009.png

Anyways, thanks for all the hard work dudes. The IF voxel pack is getting better and better.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options