Duke4.net Forums: TEKWAR REMAKE - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TEKWAR REMAKE  "This may be a shitpost"

User is offline   pavigna 

Hello people. I'm gonna cut this short. Let's make TekWar but good. the premise and ideas that game had were good but poorly executed. we can make a better game. We'll call it TechBattle and it will be the next best thing since TekWar. For this project we're missing coders and artists. The rest can be easily achieved.

This is obviously a shitpost
All references to real games are completely coincidental and in no way represent the reality of things.

So, who's in?

:)

This post has been edited by pavigna: 11 December 2020 - 03:27 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

It would be good if you can make something prior to announcing the idea (like, the TC is done by a certain percents). If what you're making have potential, people might jump on the premise and start making smtn with you.

Besides, Perro Secco is making the TC that is heavlity inspired by TekWar already.

View PostSanek, on 11 December 2020 - 03:19 PM, said:

It would be good if you can make something prior to announcing the idea (like, the TC is done by a certain percents). If what you're making have potential, people might jump on the premise and start making smtn with you.

Besides, Perro Secco is making the TC that is heavlity inspired by TekWar already.

Nah, this was more of a shitpost. I'll eventually try to make tekwar maps and such seeing as how the code is actually not too complicated and mapster can read Tekwar maps.

It's more of a joke though, lol

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSanek, on 11 December 2020 - 03:19 PM, said:

Gotta watch out around these parts, I think we might have inadvertently entered an ideas thread.

I've said it before but Perro Seco's screenshots are looking great, big fan of his work, can't believe I only found out about it somewhat recently.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 December 2020 - 04:35 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

I always liked the idea of thinking of what would have been of Tekwark if it was finished in a duke3d level of quality. Could of had been a great game.

View PostGambini, on 11 December 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

I always liked the idea of thinking of what would have been of Tekwark if it was finished in a duke3d level of quality. Could of had been a great game.

Try playing tekwar on buildGDX. mouse aiming and a better renderer is godsend. also i learned that you can edit maps in mapster, so this might not be much of a shitpost after all. making better maps is relatively easy, and the only thing a coder would have to do is fix the distance at which enemies see you, cause right now that's an infinite distance, and fix the enemy scaling. pretty sure that would lead to at least a decent game.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Reminds me, I should finish up my skyboxes for TW...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 12 December 2020 - 06:58 AM

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 December 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

Reminds me, I should finish up my skyboxes for TW...

Spoiler

Oooh, pretty!

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View Postck3D, on 11 December 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

I've said it before but Perro Seco's screenshots are looking great, big fan of his work, can't believe I only found out about it somewhat recently.
Glad you like how my "never ending development" TC is looking. :D

View Postpavigna, on 12 December 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

Try playing tekwar on buildGDX. mouse aiming and a better renderer is godsend.
For me those "better renderers" are a bit messy; enemies look like cardboards when you look them from above, parallax ceilings are broken most of the time and sprites show a vertical cut if they are near walls. I personally prefer classic renderer, unless the mod or map uses 3D models or similar stuff.

View Postpavigna, on 12 December 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

Also i learned that you can edit maps in mapster
I edited some maps with Mapster32, but when saving them I lost all the sprite extensions (enemies and NPCs behaviours). If you want to use Mapster32, I think you'll also need the original level editor to insert the extensions once the map is finished. At least that's how I tried to do it, not sure if it's the best way.

By the way, there's a TekWar remake made in Unity. Visually is not very attractive, but gameplay feels really improved. It only has the two first levels though:

User is online   ck3D 

View PostPerro Seco, on 12 December 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

Glad you like how my "never ending development" TC is looking. :D

No problem, I can tell you're putting a lot of yourself into it. The never-ending project type is quite the dedication too, they represent quite the chunk of your lifetime, at least I know that personally I naturally kind of dread falling into such serious pits with what's supposed to remain fun stuff, so I have a certain respect for people who don't. I'm sure your effort will be worth it though, in the end it kind of shows in every single component of your product so far, even the skyboxes and huds look like a labor of love which only resonates coherence with your original mapping style. I almost have a hard time looking at your project as a TC, to me it looks like a full-on one-off Build game from back in the day (regardless of whether you're using Duke 3D tiles and functionalities at the core) when devs would still care about the qualities of their babies that much, and when it comes out I'll definitely play it as such.

I also think you achieved something never been done with Planisphere 2 in particular, recreating the whole NYC skyline in an engine as restrictive as Doom to the extent you did transcends level design to me and qualifies as fine art. I have yet to directly play Duke 2070 which looks like the closest Duke 3D equivalent so far as far as the engine allows (I did play Routine though) but in general I would love to see more takes on the Duke 3D universe from you, no doubt you're already busy enough with your project though. Either way I will definitely be checking out your next output regardless of the form. Good luck for the rest!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options