Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D making own weapons sprites - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D making own weapons sprites  "Sprites tutorial"

User is offline   Nfsfan83 

Guys, because I cann't add 3D models to Duke, I only want add new weapons in sprites.

But need like always HELP with some tricks and tips.

I use nice M134 Minigun than add M60 handle to make it Predator version:

Posted Image

And I can make nice render in any view postion, other models I also can take screens from 3D model viewer like Noesis.

Posted Image

But my question are:

1. What is correct size of sprites?
2. Must be in PNG or BMP with 256 colors?
3. How to make it or convert to ART (Duke sprites format)

I can make sprites frames by frames with or without hand

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 01 December 2020 - 05:32 AM

User is offline   11bush 

View PostNfsfan83, on 01 December 2020 - 05:31 AM, said:

Guys, because I cann't add 3D models to Duke, I only want add new weapons in sprites.

But need like always HELP with some tricks and tips.

I use nice M134 Minigun than add M60 handle to make it Predator version:

Posted Image

And I can make nice render in any view postion, other models I also can take screens from 3D model viewer like Noesis.

Posted Image

But my question are:

1. What is correct size of sprites?
2. Must be in PNG or BMP with 256 colors?
3. How to make it or convert to ART (Duke sprites format)

I can make sprites frames by frames with or without hand

Hey man, they just need to be in the duke pallet, and the size just depends on what gun you want to replace. I can convert and size any images if you want.

User is offline   11bush 

Also if you can put the images on a transparent background it will be way easier for me :lol:

its 320 x 200 for the machine gun if you want it all together in one sprite, but the chaingun is broken up into different parts in the art tiles.

BTW the gun looks awesome!

This post has been edited by 11bush: 01 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

11bush sound nice if You help me, I make screen caps, but tell me what format must be: bmp 256 colors? or png 16,7 mln ( transparent background but in size 320x240 or 640x480 or 800x600) Neosis catch great caps.

I want add this weapons:

Key 2: Colt 1911 double (replace glock), Desert Eagle Silver, Double Mac-10 (ammo for Colt 1911)

Key 3. Spas 12 (with 2 mode - pump and automatic like real),

Key 4. M16M203 (alternate shoot granade), Minigun (Predator version with handle) - this same ammo 5,56 mm and M60 Vietnam version

Key 5. RPG, AT4 and M202 (shoot one be one, all 4 rockets), Grande Launcher like in Shadow Warrior or Duke N64 but real MM1 Hawk model, Panzerfaust 3 with Duke Nuclar Logo on racket :)

Key 9. Half Life satchel charge

Key 0: Flamthrower M2

But first try we make Minigun replace I want this sound:

https://www.gtagamin...mod-f16615.html

I use it in Turok DH Remastered:

But I also have rotate sound, is it possible to use both?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 02 December 2020 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   11bush 

View PostNfsfan83, on 02 December 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

11bush sound nice if You help me, I make screen caps, but tell me what format must be: bmp 256 colors? or png 16,7 mln ( transparent background but in size 320x240 or 640x480 or 800x600) Neosis catch great caps.

I want add this weapons:

Key 2: Colt 1911 double (replace glock), Desert Eagle Silver, Double Mac-10 (ammo for Colt 1911)

Key 3. Spas 12 (with 2 mode - pump and automatic like real),

Key 4. M16M203 (alternate shoot granade), Minigun (Predator version with handle) - this same ammo 5,56 mm and M60 Vietnam version

Key 5. RPG, AT4 and M202 (shoot one be one, all 4 rockets), Grande Launcher like in Shadow Warrior or Duke N64 but real MM1 Hawk model, Panzerfaust 3 with Duke Nuclar Logo on racket :)

Key 9. Half Life satchel charge

Key 0: Flamthrower M2

But first try we make Minigun replace I want this sound:

https://www.gtagamin...mod-f16615.html

I use it in Turok DH Remastered:

But I also have rotate sound, is it possible to use both?

If you attach images of each frame you want here, sized at 320 x 200 and with a transparent background I will convert it to the duke pallet for you.

This is the original image in the duke pallet, it didn't change much but it's a little darker.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OLm0u58duke.jpg

This post has been edited by 11bush: 02 December 2020 - 05:38 AM

I see You like, like me, real weapons :), but what M134 will be best position? And I think problem is with barrels, can You make rotate sprites? or we need something to help with that?

I can make it a little lighter in graphics program but what about muzzle flash?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 02 December 2020 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   11bush 

View PostNfsfan83, on 02 December 2020 - 06:12 AM, said:

I see You like, like me, real weapons :), but what M134 will be best position? And I think problem is with barrels, can You make rotate sprites? or we need something to help with that?

I can make it a little lighter in graphics program but what about muzzle flash?

If you used a model you would have to spin the barrel in that, and if you drew it, you would need to draw each frame of the barrel spinning.
For the muzzle flash, you would need to add that in the sprites, in the frames that are firing.

This post has been edited by 11bush: 02 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

Quick work:

Posted Image

320x200 each, png 32 bit

if I want rotate how many frames You need? and is it possible to add "old painless" sound?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 02 December 2020 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Don't forget to account for widescreen monitors, you shouldn't cut your art off on the the right side like that.

You mean second is better, something like this:

Posted Image

But with RPG, AT4, Panzerfaust or M202 better position is more right side

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 02 December 2020 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What I mean is that widescreen monitors will show more of the art than "square" monitors and cut-off art will be apparent.

I understand. But I play on 5:4 :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It doesn't matter what you play on.

I know, if I made it It will be nice for all version 4:3 and widescreen. Instead of whining, better will be if you would help find good muzzle flash ;)

User is offline   jimbob 

you can use larger art tiles and scale them down with the render code using setvar digz 32768 ( this is half scale, for using images larger than 320*200 ) 65536 would be 1:1 size
as for the flamethrower, im gonna keep my eye on this as i want to use a flamethrower aswell, but i cant get the projectile to spawn on the correct location in the first person view.
since where on the topic, how do i convert images from my DSLR to duke pallete in GIMP?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNfsfan83, on 02 December 2020 - 09:56 AM, said:

Instead of whining, better will be if you would help find good muzzle flash ;)

Shut the fuck up.

Why I must shut up? I try make something but need help? Why you have problem with this?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 03 December 2020 - 05:18 AM

User is offline   pavigna 

View PostNfsfan83, on 03 December 2020 - 05:17 AM, said:

Why I must shut up? I try make something but need help? Why you have problem with this?

You told him to stop whining. that's really rude. maybe you didn't mean to offend but it's really offensive

I'm from Europe and we don't take many words so seriously. So Jimmy sorry if it offends you.

Finally I get nice M2 Flamethrower mode, quick work without and with stock Duke hands:

Posted Image

I know it is wrong hand :) but I don't have correct at now.

I use this:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 03 December 2020 - 06:42 AM

User is offline   dwtietz 

View Postjimbob, on 02 December 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

how do i convert images from my DSLR to duke pallete in GIMP?

These short video clips were made with Ion Fury in mind, but the steps would be identical for Duke 3D, only you'd be using a different palette data file.

Import an Ion Fury palette file into GIMP
https://youtu.be/3R-cVcbHH8M

Applying the Ion Fury Palette to an Image
https://youtu.be/hJrPkg0c2RU

Main Minigun model in Opposing Force :)

Barrels are animating so I can make sprites frames

User is offline   jimbob 

View Postdwtietz, on 03 December 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

These short video clips were made with Ion Fury in mind, but the steps would be identical for Duke 3D, only you'd be using a different palette data file.

Import an Ion Fury palette file into GIMP
https://youtu.be/3R-cVcbHH8M

Applying the Ion Fury Palette to an Image
https://youtu.be/hJrPkg0c2RU

awesome, ill bookmark those, pretty sure the process is identical.

Minigun and Nuke launcher update:

1. Minigun fire animation - not perfect but with a little fix, will be:

Posted Image

2. Nuke launcher will be most powerful wepon in games, shoot effect big mushroom like from Shadow Warrior, 2 weapons to choice HL RPG (more in Duke sprites) or MAAWS (more real weapons)

Posted Image

I'm still searching best RPG for my mod. Yesterday I found this from Warrock M202 - best version ( nice textures no too high in Duke style):

Posted Image

Image catch from YT so...quality You know... not great

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 06 December 2020 - 04:47 AM

User is offline   11bush 

Hey man regarding the message you sent me, and this thread in general, if you are making the weapons yourself, I am willing to help you in anyway I can, if you are just ripping guns off other games and putting them in duke, I'm not really interested. I'm still not really sure what you are doing though :lol:

This post has been edited by 11bush: 06 December 2020 - 11:50 AM

I can't draw so I must use 3D model to make sprites.

User is offline   11bush 

View PostNfsfan83, on 06 December 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

I can't draw so I must use 3D model to make sprites.

My question is are you making them from scratch or are you taking them from other games?

Mostly I use 3D models for Half Life.

I try to understand how is it work, and begin simpe replace sprites in any mod. I choose Duke 64 to understand:

Quick test it looks maybe crappy because I can't at the moment set all game settings. How is max resolution of sprite I use?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 06 December 2020 - 01:03 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

tbh I think the hud sprite looks good but it takes up too much of the screen and makes it hard to see. The rocket and rocket explosion, however, look fantastic. Did you make that effect or was that taken from an existing mod?

View PostDanukem, on 06 December 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

tbh I think the hud sprite looks good but it takes up too much of the screen and makes it hard to see.

I thought the same thing, it looks nice, but half screen is gone.

View PostDanukem, on 06 December 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

The rocket and rocket explosion, however, look fantastic. Did you make that effect or was that taken from an existing mod?

That's just how it work in the DN64 version, that's why I always wished to see a mix/crossover between the PC and the N64 version.

DN64 lack of musics, but it has nice alternate weapons/ammo, levels, effects etc...

PC has nice sountracks, but it lack of some effects, like visual recoil, shock wave by explosions, and, imho, a real final weapon, the Freezethrower is in the final slot, but i always thought that was more a filler weapon compared to the Plasma Cannon.
(nothing against the Freeezerthrower toug xD)

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 07 December 2020 - 12:00 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options