Duke4.net Forums: Happy 9th anniversary DNF! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy 9th anniversary DNF!  "Share your favorite memories of this POS and how it disappointed you."

9 years ago, DNF was released for the world to enjoy, showing us the evolution of Duke Nukem, with 2 weapon limit, regen health, slow ass movement and forced "comedy".

Fuck you DNF.

So, how did DNF destroy your childhood?

Discuss.

View PostFuturetime23, on 10 June 2020 - 05:10 PM, said:

9 years ago, DNF was released for the world to enjoy, showing us the evolution of Duke Nukem, with 2 weapon limit, regen health, slow ass movement and forced "comedy".

Yeah it got Halo-ized and Call of Duty-ized alright. Too many games w/ those mechanics. Bleh!

I mean, I think DNF is great. Sure, it's not as great as 3D, But that doesn't mean it's bad. i believe it's great for different reasons.
The hate against the 2 weapon limit is understandable, though. it's a good thing they added a 4 weapon limit as an option later on.

Now, Here's the part where you'll laugh at me and call me a fucking joke:
DNF was actually my first duke game. Yes, i played Forever before 3D. And i played the Xbox 360 version, which is a bad version.

Kinda silly, ain't it?

The comedy is indeed forced at certain times, The movement is, well, Slow, But Acceptable in my opinion.
The regenerating health doesn't bother me that much. Don't really know why.

This post has been edited by Defiant Ron: 10 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

I respect the first Halo, brought new physics and mechanics in this genre, i had nice times in both single player and multiplayer, some dynamics and combos give to you a good advantage if you know how to use them (ie:double meele, damage mitigation and much more) that really make the difference in competition.
I did not appreciated its sequels so much compared to the first one, models, movements and collisions felt more static and the meele dynamics worked more like a half cutscene (red crosshair with a meele attack = speed boost and autoaim, that also fail Posted Image).
However, many people noticed the success of this genre and the copy-paste fest started, ie: a new CoD game pratically every year... for real? Pfff.

Talking about DN3D and DNF:
When you try games like DN1 and DN2, you know that you are playing a 2D side scroller shoting game, a bit like Contra.
Then, when you see an Evolution (yeah capital "E" because it is real evolution!) like DN3D you remain just amazed and, when you finish the game, you'll probably play it again and again, just to find that secret rooms/levels that you've missed in the previous runs.
Once you are satisfied, you wait for the sequel, a freaking nice sequel you hope, in what you expect to find an even more amazing game, with even better: frantic action, effects, weapons, inventory items, ambient interacion (not like pick up shit and wait 10 mins because someone speak to Duke...), the chance to maybe use the personal and badass vehicles of Duke, musics, sounds, quotes and much more.
What? Did you say graphics? Yes maybe a tweak to it can give a boost too, but it is not important as the gameplay, just don't make models that looks gum-like please (personally i find some sprites more realistic and scary).

Instead, when you watch DNF (yeah i never bought it) the reaction for the old fans is just... " what the hell is this!? This is Duke linear Nukem after 13 years waited fot it, really!?"
Right now its price is quite higher than Doom 2016 ROFL.
I think i did the same example comparing other old games looking at Smash Meele vs the bad SSBB, or the older Street Fighter games vs the input lag on the new ones, Tekken; what the hell just happened on the new ones!? My poor Paul Phoenix! He and Law became just a parody!Posted Image.

Give me back some Hexen, Morrowind (at least i can levitate there too!) etc... and developers that does not look the to the money side only, give a Soul again at the games, pretty please!

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 10 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Amazing how the wait for DNF felt like a crazy long time and now its already over 9 years old.

Fuck

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Overall I like it. It wasn't the greatest thing ever, though. I hate that "dedicated servers" don't even have a console to control what's happening and the multiplayer is nothing to speak of anyway so who cares?

Single player is alright though. Especially TDWCM.

User is offline   NNC 

The noughties was such a terrible decade.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have played Duke Nukem Forever + The Doctor Who Cloned Me for around 300 hours since its release and it keeps getting funnier every single time I play it !

The only regret I could have is its lack of individuality in the gameplay taking the ideas from the FPS released in the meantime and not always the bests or the good ones instead of staying true to its roots... and who say/think the Hive level is going a bit too far in the Hentai way ?

• The Sarien Encounter

I still don't understand why everyone flipped out over The Hive. It was no different to me than everything from Lunar Apocalypse, just in better graphics.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 June 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

I still don't understand why everyone flipped out over The Hive. It was no different to me than everything from Lunar Apocalypse, just in better graphics.

The dialog put me off, personally. Otherwise, I enjoyed the level.

I rather find, like many other peoples, that the "Look like you're... fucked !" is actually hilarious ^^

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postgemeaux333, on 11 June 2020 - 07:21 AM, said:

I have played Duke Nukem Forever + The Doctor Who Cloned Me for around 300 hours since its release and it keeps getting funnier every single time I play it !

Posted Image

User is offline   Outtagum 

Besides the moaning and crying and dumb dialogue coming from the cocooned women.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Literally its just that ONE line Duke says that ruins the entire thing. He was pissed when the twins got kidnapped, he shows regret when killing the bound women "She wasnt human anymore.....", yet when he sees the twins pregnant with alien DNA, he just cracks a joke. Then they blow up and hes just kinda "Meh"

It was out of character and so stupid. Would've been entirely different if say he found Dylan down there pregnant and said the same line.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 12 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 June 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

Literally its just that ONE line Duke says that ruins the entire thing. He was pissed when the twins got kidnapped, he shows regret when killing the bound women "She wasnt human anymore.....", yet when he sees the twins pregnant with alien DNA, he just cracks a joke. Then they blow up and hes just kinda "Meh"

I still read it like Duke isn't intentionally making a joke – he's saying it in all seriousness, but it becomes a joke to the writer and audience. I think it's pretty funny, to be honest. I think some of the podbabe lines are quite funny too, but they really should have toned down the amount of jokes in the game a ton. Duke 3D rarely made actual jokes, and if it did it was typically in a secret area or otherwise hidden away in the details.

As for DNF, even though I bought it at full price at release, I wasn't particularly disappointed. I had already accepted that DNF 2011 wasn't going to have the same scope or the level ambition as DNF 2001. We'd seen the leaks, played the demo, and so on.
For what it was, I enjoyed it a lot. It had some great bits, others that were significantly less so, and a lot of things I wish they'd had done differently. It's also quite clear the whole thing was rushed in the end and, frankly, unfinished.
I've replayed it several times since over the years, and I still find it enjoyable. The beginning is painfully slow though, and it works far worse for Duke than it does for Half-Life (and even there replaying a Half-Life game is terribly tedious a lot of the time for me).
I had plenty of fun with the multiplayer as well, even though it wasn't what I'd want Duke multiplayer to be like.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 13 June 2020 - 12:50 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

The dialogue through the entire game is retarded. Other than that, it's an okay game. The dialogue doesn't totally ruin the game for me though. It totally ruins Duke, but a Duke game is more than his dialogue and personality. But it never stood a chance in the view of the broader audience.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

This passage is also one of my favorites, just wish it was longer and more challenging, the Wagner/Valkyria phase :

https://www.youtube....bed/AUCpPiDacYY

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postgemeaux333, on 13 June 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

This passage is also one of my favorites, just wish it was longer and more challenging, the Wagner/Valkyria phase :

It's definitely the best of the turret sections, but the grenade launcher feels quite underpowered. I'm not so sure it would have been enjoyable if it was lengthened though, that kind of gameplay gets old quick.

The upside I found very early is the fact the pace of the gun shooting fit the pace of the music at some points... that the kind of passage that would be a great addition in a Duke Nukem movie

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh the music. That's the other part I thought was pretty lazily done. Besides the theme's take on Grabbag and the other references inside the game like Grabbag playing in the Duke museum etc. All the guitars were sampled or at least heavily and unnaturally arranged in the mix and sounded fake fake fake. Hated the soundtrack.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 June 2020 - 07:53 PM

User is offline   ETPC 

i paid $120 on day one

View PostETPC, on 13 June 2020 - 07:58 PM, said:

i paid $120 on day one

My condolences.

BTW, today's the 9th anniversary of the NA launch of DNF.

So fuck you again DNF.

User is offline   t800 

My "favourite" moment? That definitely gotta be that stupid "elevator braking QTE". I dont know, maybe it was caused by low framerate or some glitch but I had to repeat it like 15 times until I got it right somehow. :)

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah that part sucks.

The clash of the titans first section is also one of my favorite, a turret section that is not about brainlessly shooting the ship's big dick but also shooting the little ships coming to close

I was one of the lucky ones who was not waiting for DNF. I didn't know it existed until a year before it's release, even though I played all the Duke Nukem games as a kid/teen. I went through five or six years of not playing games. I just assumed there had been more Duke games I hadn't played. Then one day I re-bought a N64 and played Duke 64, which was my favourite game alongside goldeneye. Got me curious to what Duke had been up to and I discovered DNF and the history behind it. I bought it hyped up, expecting nothing more than an HD version of Duke 3D. I sold it a few weeks after, only to rebuy it for Doctor Who Cloned Me, which I liked slightly better.

Now Duke Nukem 5, if it ever exists, is my own Duke Nukem Forever. Except without any announcements or trailers.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

My biggest complaint about DNF is that it was just so boring. And that's the biggest fault a game can have. Even a heavily bugged, but fun, game is better than a boring game no matter how good the boring game is in other respects (not that I'm saying DNF is exactly great in any other area, of course).

It speaks volumes about DNF that it seems like, even now, nine years after it's release, more people talk about the game than actually play it. We're still so shocked and disappointed about how badly it turned out that we feel the need to discuss it, and try to rationalise how it is that a gaming team spent two years creating a game as inventive, innovative, very well judged, and so enormously enjoyable as Duke Nukem 3D, a game that is still popular and played by quite a few people nearly a quarter of a century later, and then mostly that same team spend a decade and a half creating one of the most monumentally disappointing games of all time, a game utterly without innovation, any originality at all, and mostly free of all enjoyment.

DNF doesn't even have secret areas for you to find. Why is that?

And speaking of how DNF gets so much attention of the non-playing kind, two days ago (16th June 2020) it was announced that Gearbox are now suing 3D Realms...

https://www.eurogame...3d-realms-again

If only Gearbox spent the time, effort and money on a new, good Duke Nukem game instead of on legal battles, we could have had a great new DN game in the same vein as Ion Fury. Or maybe even the basis of a world class, Doom 2016 eclipsing new DN game. You know, if Gearbox actually cared about Duke Nukem IP and the fans who'd love a great new game.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I've still never played this.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I think that a lot of the problem was the trailers for the earlier games. We were expecting something that looked like it would be as much fun or as well done as what was presented in the amazing promo trailers for the game. When the final version came out, there was collective horror at what consolitis, and the rushed attempt to reconstruct something from the post-3DR wreckage had produced. The game had been iterated so many times since 2000, the story and assets passing through so many hands and retold internally so many times, a lot of the heart and flair for the game had been washed down the drain over the lengthy development process.

In many ways, a lot of fans seem to see the 2000 era game as a different title in many ways. There are so many discrepancies in tone, characterisation and plot from the teased 2003 version and the final release. Instead of evolving into what was released in 2011, many fans regard that the game they wanted and waited for was effectively cancelled in 2003. The game that eventually appeared on shelves a disturbingly crap, golem version of the Duke Nukem Forever that they had waited so long to play.

View PostR A D A Я, on 18 June 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

I've still never played this.

I don't know if this sarcastic, but if it isn't how could you have resisted all these years?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options