Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Overdose Delusion - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Overdose Delusion

New freezing map! Duke got drunk and lost his keycard. Then the aliens attacked - how fitting.This level also contains one snowman.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0006.png
  • Attached Image: duke0008.png
  • Attached Image: duke0012.png
  • Attached Image: duke0013.png
  • Attached Image: duke0014.png
  • Attached Image: duke0017.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   ck3D 

Congrats on the release, I'm so psyched on seeing people making user maps again these days in general and this one already looks really cool from the screenshots. Wall shading etc. looks a bit flat (I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record on here though, I might as well make 'your wall shading looks a bit flat' my sig) - some of those areas look like they could use more variation in those regards for extra depth (e.g.. that last screenshot) but I also like the relative simplicity in the style, and constructions such as that café/bookshelf corner or those room designs in general look sweet! Will be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing your work!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 18 May 2020 - 03:09 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Great map! Took me 30 minutes to complete on LR. Solid level design, decoration and enemy placement. I never lost the track and knew where I must go, pazzles are simple and not annoying. Also the final room put a smile on my face.

Personally, this map doesn't stand out among other good maps, cause everything made with standarts. But I would defenitely recommend it everybody who wants to spend free evening hour playing great Duke Nukem user map.

View Postck3D, on 18 May 2020 - 03:06 AM, said:

Congrats on the release, I'm so psyched on seeing people making user maps again these days in general and this one already looks really cool from the screenshots. Wall shading etc. looks a bit flat (I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record on here though, I might as well make 'your wall shading looks a bit flat' my sig) - some of those areas look like they could use more variation in those regards for extra depth (e.g.. that last screenshot) but I also like the relative simplicity in the style, and constructions such as that café/bookshelf corner or those room designs in general look sweet! Will be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing your work!

Danke schön; I took many screenshot and I think they all look very dull :X Otherwise I'm quite happy with this map. I think I have developed a style of "lazy precision", so that I don' t spend lots of time on details, yet I want everything to look very neat and tidy. We'll see how it goes for my next bigger city map.

View Postbrullov, on 18 May 2020 - 03:13 AM, said:

Great map! Took me 30 minutes to complete on LR. Solid level design, decoration and enemy placement. I never lost the track and knew where I must go, pazzles are simple and not annoying. Also the final room put a smile on my face.

Personally, this map doesn't stand out among other good maps, cause everything made with standarts. But I would defenitely recommend it everybody who wants to spend free evening hour playing great Duke Nukem user map.

Thnxs! I enjoy using just the tools in Atomic Edition and making very "basic" levels in all aspects. I made the mistake of starting Ion Fury right before finishing this map, so I had a brief period of "God my level is ugly and worthless" :3

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostDannyFromNewOrleans, on 18 May 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

Thnxs! I enjoy using just the tools in Atomic Edition and making very "basic" levels in all aspects. I made the mistake of starting Ion Fury right before finishing this map, so I had a brief period of "God my level is ugly and worthless" :3

It's totally not ugly! I was talking about lack of interesting texture mix for getting new texture sets and using TROR for better (uncommon for Duke user maps) environment decoration.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostDannyFromNewOrleans, on 18 May 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

Danke schön; I took many screenshot and I think they all look very dull :X Otherwise I'm quite happy with this map. I think I have developed a style of "lazy precision", so that I don' t spend lots of time on details, yet I want everything to look very neat and tidy. We'll see how it goes for my next bigger city map.

Yeah I get you on minimalism (also I like using the stock Atomic Edition textures and refraining from TROR too), although I don't think wall shading falls into the 'details' category, it's actually something rather important but either way I'm nitpicking because again those screenshots look good and the general design looks clean and smart. Now I will give my impressions once I've actually played the level though!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 18 May 2020 - 10:30 AM

View Postck3D, on 18 May 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yeah I get you on minimalism (also I like using the stock Atomic Edition textures and refraining from TROR too), although I don't think wall shading falls into the 'details' category, it's actually something rather important but either way I'm nitpicking because again those screenshots look good and the general design looks clean and smart. Now I will give my impressions once I've actually played the level though!

In my previous map I attempted to create some differences and variations with shadows. However, I think I usually make rather distinct borders for these areas, like here's the shadow and behind this line is the bright side; everything that falls in one category has the same shade value :X In this map I used a bit more sectors and walls in this regard, yet the principle remains: since the monitor room in the screenshot is in "The Shadow Region", it has one shade - at least the monitors blink ;) As a whole, I think this map has some more contrasts than my previous map, though the way I try to build them is rather simplistic.

User is offline   Wowzer 

Excellent map!
Played it with the AA mod on 3rd difficulty and it's really action packed, especially towards the end.

This post has been edited by Wowzer: 19 May 2020 - 04:30 AM

View PostWowzer, on 19 May 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

Excellent map!
Played it with the AA mod on 3rd difficulty and it's really action packed, especially towards the end.

Thnks! I'm especially happy with the last sections.

User is offline   slacker1 

I really dug this map. Took me about 30 minutes on LR as well. I enjoyed that it had a 'normal' Duke story while being sprinkled with bizarre themes and areas (like the underwater bed). It gave me a bit of Nuclear Winter vibe. Definitely a cool map.

View Postslacker1, on 20 May 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

I really dug this map. Took me about 30 minutes on LR as well. I enjoyed that it had a 'normal' Duke story while being sprinkled with bizarre themes and areas (like the underwater bed). It gave me a bit of Nuclear Winter vibe. Definitely a cool map.

Danke! I enjoy building absurd stuff and mixing it with more grounded or rational environments.

Fun fact >> Overdose Delusion is the name of the music in the crédits of Silent Hill 2 with the happier ending.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 21 May 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

Fun fact >> Overdose Delusion is the name of the music in the crédits of Silent Hill 2 with the happier ending.

Stimmt, I have actually named all my maps after songs from Silent Hill 2.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Sweet map! Played on LR, unfortunately didn't find any of the secrets.
The arctic setting is really well done, and still there's quite a lot of variety in locations (like the flooded sections and the ship stuck in the ice).

There's quite a lot of backtracking but since everything is interconnected and the map gradually opens up it's not that much of an issue.
For my taste there are too many sharks, but that's really my only (minor) gripe.
Overall I enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit, there's a nice sense of escalation and everything really ramps up towards the end! ;)

I can see ck3d's point about the wall shading, but at the same time there's strong sector based shading throughout the map.
I felt that compensated the lack of wall shading, but it will be interesting to see if ck3d agrees after playing the map haha.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 21 May 2020 - 04:42 AM

View PostMerlijn, on 21 May 2020 - 04:41 AM, said:

Sweet map! Played on LR, unfortunately didn't find any of the secrets.
The arctic setting is really well done, and still there's quite a lot of variety in locations (like the flooded sections and the ship stuck in the ice).

There's quite a lot of backtracking but since everything is interconnected and the map gradually opens up it's not that much of an issue.
For my taste there are too many sharks, but that's really my only (minor) gripe.
Overall I enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit, there's a nice sense of escalation and everything really ramps up towards the end! ;)

I can see ck3d's point about the wall shading, but at the same time there's strong sector based shading throughout the map.
I felt that compensated the lack of wall shading, but it will be interesting to see if ck3d agrees after playing the map haha.

Many thanks. Once I started placing enemies I realized how big the underwater areas really are, so I just filled them with shark :X

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Most importantly, that was pretty fun and a neat atmosphere. I have made a bit of exterior areas and will say I enjoyed your exterior areas. The gameplay flow was nice through the map, it did provide a challenge. Ammo and health seems to be pretty good too. Map structure was there, and decent architecture. I've seen more shading but you covered the main ground of it. But I like the connecting variety shaping this map. Overall pretty solid map I'd give it a score of 92 overall between there.

I like that the yellow door/ending is near the start. I had to look around a bit there. I have done this too in maps and I just thought that it was cool to make the start the ending area. Nice and tough- but fun map.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 21 May 2020 - 08:50 PM

View PostSixty Four, on 21 May 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

Most importantly, that was pretty fun and a neat atmosphere. I have made a bit of exterior areas and will say I enjoyed your exterior areas. The gameplay flow was nice through the map, it did provide a challenge. Ammo and health seems to be pretty good too. Map structure was there, and decent architecture. I've seen more shading but you covered the main ground of it. But I like the connecting variety shaping this map. Overall pretty solid map I'd give it a score of 92 overall between there.

I like that the yellow door/ending is near the start. I had to look around a bit there. I have done this too in maps and I just thought that it was cool to make the start the ending area. Nice and tough- but fun map.

Thnx for scores! I always enjoy this kind of "circular progression" in video games.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options