Duke4.net Forums: French dubbing for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

French dubbing for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

User is offline   Player Lin 

Japanese language didn't have "L" in their "Gojūon", so they cannot say anything with L, and will have to use R (Ra, Ri, Ru, Re, Ro) instead(and both sound like similar to them), so like "Lo Wang" to them is actually "Ro Wan".

So, in English some words with "L" or "R" may caused confusing to them, that explains many early oversea version of Japanese games have typos related L and R because if translator/translate team didn't fluent on English, then mistakes happens and they may not know, even some Japanese-only games with English also have this problem if the dev./author(s) didn't know English well.

Chinese doesn't have L/R problem, still have other set of problems...

User is offline   Master O 

View Postgemeaux333, on 10 May 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

Me and Géomancien have been thinking about asking Michel Roy to do french dubbings for the game and its expansions, he did the french dubbings of the ps1 version of Duke Nukem 3D (total meltdown) but his voice better fit Lo Wang voice...

the only downside is he won't do it for free... so we wonder if peoples here would be ready to back it ?

This post has been edited by Master O: 24 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

What a stereotype/clichee...

Posted Image

User is online   ck3D 

View Postgemeaux333, on 25 July 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Playing devil's advocate but to be fair, SW is a gigantic stereotype/cliché in itself. Just look at the lines you're translating...

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

It's a gritty bad kung-fu movie just like Duke Nukem was like an sci-fi American action movie and blood was a cheesy horror movie. Honestly all the old build games are cliche'd as hell and I think it's what makes them so fun and unique.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

SW is more like the Hong Kong action films that inspired the Matrix, but yeah.

So there is no problem I use the french cliches/stereotypes in the french version ?

User is online   ck3D 

What? I was just saying it's ironic to suddenly display sensitivity to clichés when you're working on the translation of a game that completely runs on a cliché. No judgement on the game nor on what you're doing on my part whatsoever. The game is what it is, now if you ask me translation in general should target fidelity over reinterpretation but it looks like you're doing a decent job at it here (from my humble perspective, but one of my jobs happens to be translating non-gaming related stuff). Regrettably, a big part of the humor is lost but that's just bound to happen (just on the basis of how the constant double entendre on Wang can never work in French for instance), translating this game is very much a fishdicks/bite au nez de poisson situation, tricky one but you're giving it the best shot you can, that's cool and good luck.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

maybe an alternative for these ones:

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, whoa, I think my dinghy hanging out." > Oh mon bateau-o-o-o, tu es le plus beau des bateaux, et tu me guide sur les flots-o-o, tu es ce qu'il y a de plus beau, tu es le plus beau des bateaux !

"Oh you little tiny dick." > Question manche à balais, c'est plutôt côté balayette qu'il faut aller voir !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 30 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

User is online   ck3D 

^ About the first one, maybe you could try and come up with a pun on 'péniche' if you want to retain the humor; popular references using that term that would be compatible with the tone you seem to be going for in your work have to exist, and it would ride the wave of the mispronunciation gimmick too. Random idea.

the reference for the first one, its a kitchy musical clip from the 80s :

I made a mistake, so it should be :

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, whoa, I think my dinghy hanging out." > Oh mon bateau-o-o-o, tu es le plus beau des bateaux, et tu me guide sur les flots-o-o, vers ce qu'il y a de plus beau, tu es le plus beau des bateaux !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 31 August 2020 - 06:56 AM

another alternative :

"Lady, somebody beat you with ugly stick!" > Madame, êtes vous passé chez moche récemment ?

another alternative :

"It is natural to die." > Mourir c'est partir beaucoup !

User is offline   Master O 

View Postgemeaux333, on 25 July 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Would you prefer this one instead?

https://genius.com/A...ter-1-annotated

View PostMaster O, on 13 September 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

Would you prefer this one instead?

https://genius.com/A...ter-1-annotated

Which one (that a long reading) ?

I forgot one :

"Oh, Zilla's men forgot to duck again... hahaha, too bad !" > Faire venir ces incompétents dans ton chapeau, je dis château, Zilla ! hahaha ***référence à Kaamelott***

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

As strange as it sounds, I haven't found it in any of the sound files I got...

Which file contain the line "Oh, Zilla's men forgot to duck again... hahaha, too bad !" ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 06 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

...I already ripped the VOCs, I do not know what each individual file is.

I ask because as strange as it seems, this one seem missing (right and the start of the monastery level) :

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

JG9055.VOC
It's not missing for me

Indeed, my bad, but for some obscure reason no one have collected this one either...

another alternative :

"Do you want to wash wang? Or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" > J'ai la peau douce, dans mon bain de mousse, c'est mon état aquatique... y a comme un hic ! ***reference à la chanson d'Alizée "J'en ai marre"***

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options