Duke4.net Forums: French dubbing for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

French dubbing for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Me and Géomancien have been thinking about asking Michel Roy to do french dubbings for the game and its expansions, he did the french dubbings of the ps1 version of Duke Nukem 3D (total meltdown) but his voice better fit Lo Wang voice...

the only downside is he won't do it for free... so we wonder if peoples here would be ready to back it ?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I don't see him refusing to do something like that for free as a downside.

just that it could be expensive for someone who is not a legal entity...

User is offline   Mark 

Make an estimate of how many lines or words he would have to record. Then go to one of the Voice Acting websites and see what the amateur and semi-pros charge per line or per 100 words. Use that as baseline for what he might charge. I'm guessing it would be expensive for the few people desiring the voice in the game.

This post has been edited by Mark: 12 May 2020 - 03:47 AM

Its approximatively 10 minutes of lines :

User is offline   Mark 

$$$$$$$$$

so from what I have seen approximatively 300 Euros

User is offline   Phredreeke 

That doesn't sound that expensive TBH.

User is offline   Mark 

Do you happen to have the link for the site you made your estimate from? That sounds waayyy too low. I remember prices from $5-$25 for 100 words. Hundreds of lines and thousands of words including all the time spent with failed attempts and remakes is going to be a lot more than 300 Euros.

Some that charge by the time have prices from $100-$200 per hour. Its going to take well over 2 hours to record that many lines.

Plus, how much time will be needed to do a proper translation. I still see this as an expensive wish. I hope you find someone good AND cheap.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

https://thomasvoix.com/tarif-voix-off/

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks for the link. I see where you got the 300 price from. 5-10 minutes. I think that would apply if the actor was just reading a few pages of easy to read text and might be able to do it with minimal preperation and in a single take with only minor touchup afterwards. Reading regular text is much easier than trying to get every single SW line right the first time. There is going to be a whole lot of preperation and practice before the recording is started. Considering it may be 200-300 separate lines for SW I can see the actor going back and re-recording a whole lot of lines. Getting lowang's voice and character in each line will take a lot of extra time and will be reflected in the final costs. I'm far from being a professional but having done many voices for my Eduke projects, its common to do 5-10 takes of a line before I get what I like. Also adding to time spent is the process of comparing the original and new lines. Did it have the same inflections and energy, was the timing close to the original which can be important at times, etc...

This is just my opinion but I think you could see at minimum, triple the price you expect. And that would be from a person working cheaply from their home studio who didn't have much else to do at the time. I admit I know only a little about the whole process so I could be way off in my estimations.

Who would do the English to French translation? You would probably want a 2nd person to double-check the accuracy. Many of us have laughed at how poorly a lot of Chinese text gets converted to English and likely other languages. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 May 2020 - 05:15 AM

So it will be closer to 750 Euros ?

Is there a way to get the text version of the lines of SW Classic Redux ? I can do the translation myself !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 14 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Here is the text of those Shadow Warrior Quotes ;)
https://shadowwarrio.../Classic_Quotes

Ok, then do I have to translate and possibly adapt (to fit the french pop culture) them here ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 14 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Only about 124 lines. I would have guess at least double that.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHank, on 14 May 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

Here is the text of those Shadow Warrior Quotes ;)
https://shadowwarrio.../Classic_Quotes

This is missing his Wanton Destruction quotes, and I generally wouldn't consider anything from fandom.com reliable.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postgemeaux333, on 14 May 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

Ok, then do I have to translate and possibly adapt (to fit the french pop culture) them here ?

Oh, yes! If a given translation misses the indented pun, you may have to invent an entire new line. And this ain't easy.

Sample: Who wants some Wang? In my language, German, ends up as: Wer will bischen Wang? Makes no sense what-so ever, since Wang is the name of Lo. And I can not change it to Schwanz/Stock/Bruegel or something because it is not his name. Even then, it misses the pun.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

in french its not that hard for this one : "Qui veut du Wang ?" , and everyone know that Wang is a "famous" chinese name, in march for the ressurection of a famous show (20 years ago in france) we had an occasion to see how we receive chinese tourists when they arrive in france, and they names were Wang too ^^

User is offline   Mark 

It has double meaning in US because wang is also a slang word for cock. That might get lost in translation. But I suppose if the French don't know that, it doesn't matter much.

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postgemeaux333, on 14 May 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

in french its not that hard for this one : "Qui veut du Wang ?" , and everyone know that Wang is a "famous" chinese name, in march for the ressurection of a famous show (20 years ago in france) we had an occasion to see how we receive chinese tourists when they arrive in france, and they names were Wang too ^^

Woah! Hold it, with giving Lo Wang a Chinese nationality. A shuriken is a Japanese weapon, not Chinese. Chinese and Japanese are like mortal enemies. I have yet to meet a Chinese that even speaks politely about Japanese anything, let alone would learn Japanese weaponry, like a shuriken; or vice versa.

Whatever you do, in your task to give Lo Wang a French quote set, and for cash; please, please keep in mind that 3D Realms invented another character based on imagination, not reality. Even his accent sucks, in my never humble opinion. To make it work for you, I humbly suggest to play the game over and over, and imagine what would be appropriate and fun in your French culture, for each quote. Forget the themes 3D Realms laid out. It was designed for US clients.

Make him French/American/Asian or what ever.
If the above is clear, move on to what Mark wrote for the second step!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Shadow Warrior plays fast and loose with it's view of Asia. There are influences from Japan chiefly, but also China and India and other Asian cultures. It exists solely from a world where your major view into Asia would have been King Fu on TV and early imported manga/anime. While I don't view it negatively, it's something that could only exist in ignorance. Either they didn't know or didn't care about accuracy. However they make it up for it with an excellent game that 'sells' it's universe.

Indeed, most french peoples have no clue than Wang means cock but they can figure out that, like Duke Nukem it doesn't matter (we simply call him "Le Duke" (The Duke))

In french I see two possibilities, either you stay true to the original accent of Lo Wang (like Zero in Borderlands 2) or you make a caricatural asian accent

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 15 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

I'm pretty sure Wang's canonically both Chinese and Japanese (the books definitely seem to suggest, if not confirm, that he knows both cultures very well). If bad kung fu movies is a nationality then Wang's bad kung fuian. I'd say definitely keep the accent to some degree, the voiced TCs for SW all replace him with a young accentless voice and it just loses all its charm (even if it was the point of the TC). Making him sound old and wise is probably the the most important part. Definitely listen to the sounds instead of only looking at the text, some of the humor is in how crazy Lo Wang sounds or how he says the line rather than the actual line itself. I don't speak French but I sure as hecc would love a well voiced multilingual Wang ;)

User is offline   geomancien 

for translating Shadow Warrior texts. I may have someone who could do it. does anyone have the complete list of punch lines from Lo Wang? and you would also need several translations of this punchline to be sure you don't get any errors.

Je peux les traduire moi-même geomancien, je pourrais juste avoir besoin de conseils pour la route

"Oh, like I scared of little snake!" > Oh moi avoir peur, petit serpent !
"Teh! Son of a bitch!" > Ah ! Fils de pute !
"I am the Shadow Warrior." > Je suis le guerrier de l'ombre !
"You no mess with Lo Wang!" > Faut pas faire chier le Lo Wang !
"Who wants some Wang?" > Qui veut du Wang ?
"A ninja knows no fear." > N'oubliez pas, le vrai ninja est un maitre de toutes choses, un maitre de son environement, un maitre de lui-même. ***(référence à la trilogie originale du début des 90s "Les tortues ninja")***
"Pain is for the weak." > La douleur c'est pour les faibles !
"You made another stupid move!" > Et encore un faux pas !
"You look like a stupid!" > T'as vraiment l'air d'un gland !
"Try hunting both of us!" > Essaye de nous avoir tous les deux !
"It is natural to die." > C'est tout naturel de mourir !
"Sayonara, scumbag." > Sayonara, salopard !
"You are tiny grasshopper." > Toi être petit scarabé !
"Who put these here!? Ow!" > Qui a mis ça là !? Aïe !
"It is good day to die. Ha-Ha" > C'est une belle journée pour mourir, HAHAHA !
"Just like Hiroshima." > On se croirait à Hiroshima !
"Just like Nagasaki." > On se croirait à Nagasaki !
"Oh, damn, I'm running into walls now!" > Oh bon sang, moi aller droit dans murs en klaxonant !
"Oh, better zip fly." > Oh, avoir oursins dans pantalon !
"Everybody dead. I like that." > Tout le monde est mort, j'aime ça !
"Ahh, better than acupuncture." > Ah, c'est quand même mieux que l'acuponcture !
"Ancient chinese secret." > Un secret de la chine ancienne !
"Oh, must be American made." > Oh, ça doit être matos américain !
"You drive like a baboon in heat." > Tu conduit comme un babouin en chaleur !
"You very bad man." > Toi homme très mauvais !
"This is not a charade." > Ce n'est pas une devinette !
"Dying time's here." > C'est l'heure de mourir !
"Eat this, pencil dick!" > Bouffe ça, bite de cure-dent !
"You can't evade me forever." > Tu ne pourra pas m'échapper éternellement !
"I stick a firecracker in your ass." > J'ai mis gros pétard dans ton cul !
"Haha, call me Mr. Fix It!" > HAHA, appelez moi Bob le bricoleur !
"That's no ordinary wang." > Ce n'est pas un Wang ordinaire !
"You do that you go blind." > T'est bigleux ou quoi ?
"Two wangs are better than one." > Deux Wangs valent mieux qu'un tiens tu l'auras !
"Hello, is your refridgerator running? Better catch it!" > Salut, est-ce que to réfrigérateur marche ? Alors dépêche toi de lui acheter des chaussures !
"Tora, Tora, Tora!" > Allez hop boumb boum crack crack coussi coussa ***(référence à la chanson des musclés, si inadapté simplement reprendre la réplique originale)***
"Bombs away, HAHAHA!" > Bombes larguées, HAHAHA !"
"Uh oh, look like Lo Wang need to cut back on sushi." > Oh Oh, Lo Wang être bouffeur de sushis et chieur de nems !
"No, can't use this, this won't fit on my finger." > Non, peux pas m'en servir, ça tiendra pas sur mon doigt !
"Before you attack her, wrap your wacka!" > Avant d'attaquer, sortez protégés !
"Just like Pearl Harbour." > On se croirait à Pearl Harbor !
"Revenge is dish best served raw." > La revanche est un plat qui se mange sans sauce !
"Oh you little tiny dick." > Oh toi avoir petite bite !
"I am a man with a tool, make a special acupuncture for you!" > J'ai le bon outil pour pratiquer une acuponcture sur mesure !
"This not tournament, this for real!" > ça pas être un tournoi, ça être réalité !
"No pain, no gain. Hahaha!" > Sans sueur, pas de résultat, HAHAH !
"No way, water cold" > Je refuse d'utiliser ces toilettes insalubres !
"Hmmm... no power!" > Hmmm... pas de courant !

Meurtres au sabre :

"Oh, split personality!" > Oh, dédoubelement de personnalité !
"Oh, look, you coming apart!" > Hé regarde, tu tombe en morceaux !
"You half the man you used to be!" > Tu n'est plus que la moitié de ce que t'étais !

Meurtres avec les poings :

"You blocking with your head again!" > Encore un blocage avec la tête !
"I hope you were paying attention." > J'espère que t'étais attentif !
"It's all in the reflexes." > Tout est dans les réflexes !
"How's that for kung-fu fighting you chicken shit?!" > Vous allez tâter de mon kung-fu, connards laqués !
"I Kill you!" > Je t'ai tué par la mort !

Après une grosse explosion:

"Holy cow!" > Merde !
"Holy pieces of cow!" > Merde alors !
"Holy shit!" > Putin de merde !
"Holy pieces of shit!" > Putin de sa mère !
"Like Chinese New Year fireworks!" > C'est comme au nouvel an chinois !
"Holy cow! Look like Duke Nukem! HAHAHA!" > Merde ! On se croirait dans Duke Nukem ! HAHAHA !
"Takusan balls, sukoshi penis." > Maitenant je vois mes couilles !

Contacte avec une bombe collante:

"Look, you have a new friend!" > Hé regarde, t'as une nouvelle copine !
"Oh ho ho, sticky bomb like you!" > Oh ho ho, bombe collante aimer toi !
"Sticky Bomb meet Mr. Stupid." > Bombe collante a rancard avec monsieur débile !
"Better watch out; it go boom!" > Quand on connais pas, il faut se méfier !

En parlant à une femme qui se baigne :

"Lo Wang soap you good." > Lo Wang vouloir te passer savon :
"Woops, Lo Wang drop soap, you bend over get it, hahaha." > Oups, Lo Wang a laissé tomber savon, baisse toi et ramasse, HAHAHA !
"Those real tits?" > C'est du silicone, c'est ça ?
"Do you want to wash wang? Or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" > Tu veux doucher le Wang ? Ou voir le Wang se doucher ?

En parlant à une femme utilisant les toilettes :

"What you eat anyway baby?" > T'as bouffé quoi, baby ?
"Haha, you go poo-poo, hehehe, uh, I leave room." > Haha, tu fais caca, héhéhé, euh, je sors !
"Hello, what died up here?" > Salut, y a un cadavre par ici ?
"Hey baby, pull my finger! Hahaha!" > Hé baby, enfile mon doigt ! HAHAHA !

En parlant à une mécanicienne :

"Hey, baby, you polish too?" > Hé baby, tu me refait la carosserie ?
"Hey, chicky, you tighten my nuts?" > Hé poulette, tu retoucherais mes noix ?
"Lo Wang's drive shaft need service." > Lo Wang doit reprendre du service !
"So, you good with hands?" > Alors, tu t'en sors bien avec tes mains ?

En parlant à une femme dans une concession automobile :

"You got something with a big backseat, two people horizontal?" > Vous avez quelquechose avec plage arrière étendue, pour deux personnes à l'horizontale ?
"How about a test drive, doll?" > ça vous dirait de jouer les manequins ?
"See my stick shift? In fast gear, hahaha!" > Vous voyez mon manche ? A fond la caisse, HAHAHA !
"Whoa, baby, what's up your tail pipe?" > Ouah baby, y a quoi à la sortie ?

Référence à Sailor Moon:

"Hey peaches, how bout you moon me? Hahaha." > Sailor Moon... Sailor Moon... et si tu me montrais la lune ? ***(Référence au générique chanté par Bernard Minet)***
"Hey, since you already in bed, well..." > Hé, t'es déjà au lit, très bien...
"Hey baby, you in bed? Is there room for two?" > Hé baby, t'est au lit ? Y a de la place pour deux ?
"You good lookin' sailor babe." > Sailor Moon... Sailor Moon... t'est vraiment trop bonne Sailor Moon ! ***(Référence au générique chanté par Bernard Minet)***

En parlant à une vieille femme :

"Lady, somebody beat you with ugly stick!" > Madame, mari violent vous avoir battu avec trophé de golf !
"Maybe if I close eyes it go away!" > Peut être que si je ferme les yeux, ça partira !
"Ooh, Lo Wang wish somewhere else now!" Ooh, Lo Wang vouloir être partout sauf ici !
"Lo Wang's gonna womit now..." > Lo Wang vouloir vomir maintenant...

Quand les lapins s'accouplent :

"Having fun little Rabbit? Ha ha!" > Toit t'amuser petit lapin ? Ha Ha !
"Horny rabbits, hahaha." > Chaud lapin, HAHAHA !
"Push in the bush there rabbit, haha." > Va batifoler dans buissons petit lapin, HAHA !
"Oh, queer bunny." > Oh, lapin patraque !
"Oh you faggot rabbit." Oh lapin pédé !

Insultes diverses :

"You move like a pregnant yak." > Tu te déplace comme grosse Yak !
"You are so stupid! You cannot find ass with both hands!" > T'es tellement débile que tu trouverais pas ta bite pour pisser ! ***(référence à Kaamelott)***
"You not very good with hands - try DICK!" > T'as toute la force dans le cul, comme les guêpes !
"Quit jerking off! Come fight me!" > Viens te battre, petit branleur !
"I am sitting here, getting stiff!" > Je suis planté là, à prendre racines ! ***ou*** Ici je me tiens, et rigide je deviens !

En obtenant ou choisissant une arme :

"I like big weapons." > Moi aimer gros flingues !
"Cowabunga." > *** aucune midification nécessaire ***(référence aux tortues ninja)***
"BANZAII!!" > *** aucune midification nécessaire ***
"I love the shuriken!" > Moi aimer shurikens !
"I like sword - that's a personal weapon." > Moi aimer sabres... aimer proximité !
"There can be only one." > Il n'y a de place que pour un !
"Be proud, Mr. Woo." > John Woo serait content !
"Time to get erased." > Le temps de l'éradication est venu !
"I like nuclear weapons." > Moi aimer ogives nucléaires !

A des moments clés de certains niveaux :

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, whoa, I think my dinghy hanging out." > Rame rame sur ton bateau, avance doucement sur l'eau... ouah ça être poétique !
"Lo Wang is coming for you little snake coward!" > Lo Wang venir pour toi, trouillard serpentin !
"Go Speed Racer Goooo!" > Allez toule petit bolide !
"She's raided her last tomb" > Tu as pillé ta dernière tombe, Lara !
"Hey! Come back here and finish fight!... Ugly, scaly, snake... shitface." > Hé, reviens là qu'on en finisse ! ... laideron écailleux... face d'étron !
"Hmm, something flooding or dinosaur taking piss." > Hmm, il doit y avoir grosse fuite ou pleuvoir comme vache qui pisse !
"Must be here rat, because I trapped like one." > Je dois être un rat, car je suis fait !
"You are weak as a baby fart, go live in fear." > Toi être faible comme pet de bébé, toi aller vivre peur au ventre !
"Knock knock you freak, Lo Wang in the house!" > Toc toc les tarés, Lo Wang est dans la place !
"Hmph, rather kick ass than solve puzzle." > Oh, moi préférer botter cul que résoudre casse têtes !
"Ohh, smell remind me of old girlfriend." > Ohh, odeur me rapeller vieille copine !
"Burn baby burn, flames are gettin' higher!" > Brûle baby brûle, les flammes n'en seront que plus grandes !
"Eeyuuh, stink like dead baboon in here." > Pfiou, ça empeste le babouin crevé par ici !
"Heh, this no movie, Mr. Chan." > Hé, ça pas être film, monsieur Chan !
"Welcome to real life, Mr. Chan." > Bienvenue sur terre, monsieur Chan !
"That's no ordinary rabbit." > Moi avoir trouvé lapin tueur des Monty Pythons ! ***ou*** ça être lapin européen ou lapin tueur asiatique ? ***(référence à Monty Python Sacré Graal)***

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 30 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

Many lines are missing... can someone add them here to make the list exhaustive ?

Do you want help to extract the VOC files from the game? Because I don't think you'll find someone to transcribe everything Lo Wang says for you

Geomancien can do it I think...

Transcribe not translate. Writing down what someone is saying.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options