Duke4.net Forums: Fusion - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fusion  "A Duke3D multiplayer oriented port"

View PostPhotonic, on 16 March 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

Hi. Who are you? Recent name change?

hi, i'm defiatron ;)

also, i'm not trying to be rude. i'm just kinda worried.

User is offline   Kyanos 

That's cool. You have good reason to be worried, running exe's allowed past your firewall is risky. I myself have been ddos'd by opening ports and advertising my IP on public servers.

Fusion does not connect to any master server, it doesn't even check eduke.com for updates any more. Absolutely 0 net traffic from the app to anyone but other players (who you should know and trust because all online gaming has these same risks but p2p does give out some data easier than {well written} client server games.)

This post has been edited by Photonic: 16 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

View PostPhotonic, on 16 March 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

That's cool. You have good reason to be worried, running exe's allowed past your firewall is risky. I myself have been ddos'd by opening ports and advertising my IP on public servers.

Fusion does not connect to any master server, it doesn't even check eduke.com for updates any more. Absolutely 0 net traffic from the app to anyone but other players (who you should know and trust because all online gaming has these same risks but p2p does give out some data easier than {well written} client server games.)

That's not what i'm worried about...

User is offline   Kyanos 

Welp, that's three crytic remarks... are you worried about something specific or just trolling?

Added: RADAR! Yang works fine here, what problems have been encountered? I did put game_dir back just to play it safe.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 16 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

View PostPhotonic, on 16 March 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

Welp, that's three crytic remarks... are you worried about something specific or just trolling?

Added: RADAR! Yang works fine here, what problems have been encountered? I did put game_dir back just to play it safe.

Some of your earlier posts seemed kinda suspicious, when you were replying to radar and icecoldduke over fusion.
like when you said
"The game code is too far gone to handle deterministic netgames."
I was worried that maybe you were coming up with excuses. but i don't know that for sure.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostHollaback Duke (defiatron), on 16 March 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

Some of your earlier posts seemed kinda suspicious, when you were replying to radar and icecoldduke over fusion.
like when you said
"The game code is too far gone to handle deterministic netgames."
I was worried that maybe you were coming up with excuses. but i don't know that for sure.

Ok, I'll clarify that. IMO the current EDuke32 has gone too far down the road towards client server to make forwardporting the netcode an easy task. The part about it not handling deterministic netgames was just a hunch here. The original game already didn't stay in sync well, shadow warrior was worse, I'd imagine the years of not working with sync based netgames in mind would show if anyone tried to do what ICD suggests. All the power to them.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 16 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

View PostPhotonic, on 16 March 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

Ok, I'll clarify that. IMO the current EDuke32 has gone too far down the road towards client server to make forwardporting the netcode an easy task. The part about it not handling deterministic netgames was just a hunch here. The original game already didn't stay in sync well, shadow warrior was worse, I'd imagine the years of not working with sync based netgames in mind would show if anyone tried to do what ICD suggests. All the power to them.

oh ok.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Posticecoldduke, on 16 March 2020 - 02:49 PM, said:

How so? The game still uses pseudo random number generation right?

Yeah, but at this point, the codebase has undergone years and years of changes that completely disregard the requirements for deterministic networking because we have no intention of ever supporting it again.

The client/server stuff is still being worked on, though. We're working on a migration to git and then we have some branches that improve various aspects of things to merge.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostPhotonic, on 16 March 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

I never tried it. If it works when you put it in EDuke32's slot then that's good man.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Opened it up to external files. Thanks to ICD and Defiatron for recommending I not be stupid.
Nothing else has been merged in yet.

View PostPhotonic, on 27 March 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

Opened it up to external files. Thanks to ICD and Defiatron for recommending I not be stupid.
Nothing else has been merged in yet.

Glad we could help. ;)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options