Duke4.net Forums: new swinging door behavoir test - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new swinging door behavoir test

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDoom64hunter, on 19 March 2021 - 11:59 AM, said:

Your previous post made it sound like the effect was forgotten about though, which was not the case.

my previous post was in response to High Treason - and I provided an easy blatant example of sector effect changes.
collision issues are another animal
SE 7 teleport would be more difficult to demonstrate since Duke's 'waist height' isn't a consistent determining factor (anymore).
Same with things Duke used to be able to crouch and walk under.

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 March 2021 - 08:44 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

So how about them swinging doors eh

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSangman, on 23 March 2021 - 04:04 AM, said:

So how about them swinging doors eh

There's a random person chilling on their phone in front of my front door and so I'm stuck here, unable to leave my building although said door opens inwards. So now here I am, hoping the RNG will dictate them leaving soon or it will be too late for me to shop groceries and eat dinner tonight. Can't call for delivery either because how am I even supposed to open that door to someone?

'Go away or els' [sic] really was the literal writing on the wall. You were avant-garde.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 24 March 2021 - 03:11 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

OK, I'm going to further revise the swinging doors such that enemies can no longer stop them from moving.

• el fundador

Alright, test the doors again guys. You can only block them from closing, not from opening, and they don't ever reverse direction automatically unless the only other option is gibbing the player. I think this solves the concerns with the initial changed behavior.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have been testing the new build since yesterday, and so far, so good! I'm also enjoying the new weapon movement smoothing feature.

User is offline   Aleks 

Tested the swing doors back and forth and seems to be perfectly balanced now. Even double-winged ones don't pull any weird behaviours, which happened a lot with previous iteration :) BTW, considering how massive the last revision of EDuke was, I think it deserves some extra post on the forums as well, highlighting the most important changes - like the pal 23 masterswitch thing, which I'm afraid will be quite obscure if it doesn't get properly advertised now (and it seems like such a convenient lifehack).

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I planned to make a feature post yesterday but I had a rather infernal hangover..
I will translate the changelog stuff here, including playerheight things from the recent month or so.
Huge thanks to terminx for these:

Various controller improvements (overhauls!)
> Controller DB updates
> Force feedback support for SDL backend
> Adjustment to weight/view level
> Hotplug support
> Controller menu tweaks
> Various tweaks to usability and feel

Rotatesprite interpolation
To see this in action, start a new game, cheat and switch weapons around.
> Animation positions of HUD weapons, etc.. are now interpolated!
> For modding use, there are two new draw flags to use:
RS_LERP = 4096,
RS_FORCELERP = 8192,
> Feature can be toggled with r_rotatespriteinterp:
// r_rotatespriteinterp 0: - DISABLED - feature is off, this is the same as pre-patch behaviour
// r_rotatespriteinterp 1: - DEFAULT - only interpolate when explicitly requested with RS_LERP
// r_rotatespriteinterp 2: interpolate if the picnum or size matches regardless of RS_LERP being set
// r_rotatespriteinterp 3: relax above picnum check to include the next tile, with potentially undesirable
(fyi, I'm not a dev, I found these flags through git commits)

Masterswitch changes and improvements
> Now has parity with ACTIVATOR for SE 2,3,18,21,31,32,36
> Alternative palette 23 (Yellow) turns this into a re-usable masterswitch! (mustardswitch)
Now you can control complex sequences without having to use 2-way trains for delays!
This palette was chosen to make it clearly visible, while being least likely to overlap with
any existing user content.

CON access to player height, gravity, etc..
Use case can be surface of the moon, tall bushes you sink in (or even mud!) Think of having full control
over lotag1-like sinking behavior

SE-11 Swinging door changes once more
Try it out I guess?

Other notable things:
- Player struct used to house 60+ LOOGIE sprite coordinates (what lizman spews on the player)
This made sense for pre-release versions but this never exceeds 6 sprites nowdays.
Removing this excess allowed the player struct to reclaim a huge amount of more space... and used for playerheight stuff too.
- m32 script now has drawline256 and printext16 was modified to support full 256col through negative index
- Fix for sloped sprite drawing (reduces seams)
- gotsector[] expoed to CON, tells if a sector was drawn on last frame

View Postoasiz, on 07 June 2021 - 01:35 AM, said:

Masterswitch changes and improvements
> Now has parity with ACTIVATOR for SE 2,3,18,21,31,32,36

This is rather vague. Here is what changed, from what I can gather.

First, for reference, the effector types:
SE 2: Earthquake
SE 3: Random Light after shot out
SE 18: Incremental Sector Rise Fall
SE 21: Drop Floor
SE 31: Floor Rise Fall
SE 32: Ceiling Rise Fall
SE 36: Projectile Shooter

And now the changes:

* ACTIVATOR can now trigger SE 2, 3, and 21 where it could not before.
* MASTERSWITCH can now trigger SE 18 where it could not before.
* SE 3 can now be toggled by both ACTIVATOR and MASTERSWITCH. Previously, MASTERSWITCH could only activate it, but not disable.
* SE 18, 21, 31, 32, 36 now play the assigned sound when triggered by MASTERSWITCH.
* SE 2, 18, 21, 31, 32, 36 can now be toggled by a MASTERSWITCH (this behavior was already supported by ACTIVATOR)

Please correct me if my interpretation of the changes is wrong.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 12 June 2021 - 05:24 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Sounds about right, TX would know the real list on this as this was mostly an additional feature on top of the re-trigger possibility that he cooked up as a bonus :P

• el fundador

So, are we all good on the swinging door functionality now?

View PostTerminX, on 16 June 2021 - 12:43 PM, said:

So, are we all good on the swinging door functionality now?

I ran through my test maps, everything works fine now.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I haven't found a single problem either. I think it's fair to say that swing doors have never worked this well before.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options