Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon WIP vanilla enemies - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon WIP vanilla enemies

These are some WIP sprites for redesigns of the old Duke 3D enemies. They are based on models by Tea Monster (thank you very much!). I took his models and tweaked them a bit so they resemble the originals a little bit more but are still unique.
They are mostly finished but I was curious what you all thought of them. Our plan is to use these in Alien Armageddon down the road.
Keep in mind my goal is to make enhanced vanilla enemies and not outright mimic the originals detail by detail. I plan to give them unique features and animations as if they are the next evolution of the Duke 3d ones if it had a proper sequel on the build engine.
And if you're wondering, the plan isn't to outright swap out the vanilla enemies in game. We haven't thought that far yet.
And sorry, these won't be available to the public right now.
Attached Image: WIPvanillaenemies.png

Teamonster provided me models for the Enforcer, Pigcop and Liz trooper. The Octabrain and Fat Commander were taken from DNF models. The protector drones' base model was from a sci fi movie everyone should be familiar with.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 30 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

I see nothing wrong in making enhanced enemies and making new models.
These models looks more aggressive and nice already, a thought on the Fat Commander can be that his chest looks more like a Sumo figher commander this way :lol:, which is also good, as add some more personality to the new models.

Generally some more details are needed to make them looks even better, but you said they are not finished yet and i bet is not certain a problem for you!
The only thing is that, imho the armor get destroyed too fast and won't protect the player from damages for so long.
Don't get me wrong on this, i have already said that i like if the game is hard, so, personally is not a problem for me (and probably many other players here), but i think that a casual gamer may get his ass kicked enough easly even on lower difficulties if the armor does not last long a bit more.
Once again, i bet we'll be amazed again from your works, keep it up!

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 01 December 2019 - 03:10 AM

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 01 December 2019 - 03:08 AM, said:

I see nothing wrong in making enhanced enemies and making new models.
These models looks more aggressive and nice already, a thought on the Fat Commander can be that his chest looks more like a Sumo figher commander this way :lol:, which is also good, as add some more personality to the new models.

Generally some more details are needed to make them looks even better, but you said they are not finished yet and i bet is not certain a problem for you!
The only thing is that, imho the armor get destroyed too fast and won't protect the player from damages for so long.
Don't get me wrong on this, i have already said that i like if the game is hard, so, personally is not a problem for me (and probably many other players here), but i think that a casual gamer may get his ass kicked enough easly even on lower difficulties if the armor does not last long a bit more.
Once again, i bet we'll be amazed again from your works, keep it up!

it would be nice to have the commander with the weapon pigs trasform (pig-nator XD), turn Duke into a Pig berserk

Since I now have a pig cop model to work with, I can upgrade this guy:
Spoiler

User is offline   jet_nick 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 03 December 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Since I now have a pig cop model to work with, I can upgrade this guy:

will there also be rigelatin soldiers in the arena as gladiators?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Don't forget the pigcop boss eyes, from memory they aren't fullbright in the current sprite

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 30 November 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

Our plan is to use these in Alien Armageddon down the road.

Keep forgetting to ask, will these be used in AMC TC too?

Some of them yes. I also tweaked some them to fit the AMC versions (Pig cop has a different shotgun and black vest)

BTW, it appears that these high-res models are not compensated for VGA aspect ratio correction (the low-res originals are "squashed" vertically to get stretched to proper dimensions when rendered by the engine), so EDuke32 will not do the correction for them, right? (I actually thought that it simply stretches the entire screen vertically).

True, but I wasn't told anything about changing their proportions so something may have been done to compensate in code. I don't know.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMrFlibble, on 17 December 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

BTW, it appears that these high-res models are not compensated for VGA aspect ratio correction (the low-res originals are "squashed" vertically to get stretched to proper dimensions when rendered by the engine), so EDuke32 will not do the correction for them, right? (I actually thought that it simply stretches the entire screen vertically).

I do find that a lot of enemies look skinny when given equal xrepeat and yrepeat, so typically I make their default size somewhat bigger horizontally to compensate. It's done on a case-by-case basis.

Remake also Scorpion Tank and Organic Turrets? They are vanilla stuff too if we want since they exist in the base game GRP instead of being external resources, they are just uncoded.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 December 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

I do find that a lot of enemies look skinny when given equal xrepeat and yrepeat, so typically I make their default size somewhat bigger horizontally to compensate. It's done on a case-by-case basis.

Oh, BTW, maybe it'd be more appropriate to mention this in the AA thread, but I do remember when playing it last time (but not sure if it was the latest version currently available) that the aspect ratio correction would not apply when using the railgun's zoom view. I can't say with certainty that the entire scene would get squashed but the monster sprites definitely lost their vertical stretching.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options