Duke4.net Forums: Is the Duke IP dead? - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the Duke IP dead?

User is offline   Matthew 

View PostAltered Reality, on 27 November 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

Oh no. Duke Nukem 3D was so good because it was so innovative. It was breaking new ground all the time, while Voidpoint is the opposite of that. Voidpoint is all about giving nostalgics what they already got 20 years ago. Imagine the train wreck Duke Nukem 3D would've been, had it pandered to nostalgics of 1976 video games!
If Gearbox wants to save Duke Nukem, they should commission games to Flying Wild Hog, or id.

They should start small instead of going full 'AAA' or even 'AA'. Test the waters with new Duke game in the build engine, and I mean new and not just another re-re-re-re-release of Duke3D. If that does well, test it with a bigger and better engine. If each subsequent game does good then finally go after a [insert Jim Sterling's screechy voice] 'AAA' game.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMark, on 28 November 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

( puts on dev/marketing expert hat) Personally, I don't think any new Duke game is going to be a top seller. The market is so flooded with titles that might be considered great except they get thrown in with 126 other similarly great games for next to nothing thru GOG and Steam. Players whip thru all these to the point it becomes hard to stand out with something. Add to that the differing opinions on where and how Duke should move forward and you have another game with mediocre sales. As I say in every other thread this subject comes up in, I would like to see Duke spread out into new territory. No more space stations, moon bases, or same old aliens. (takes off dev/marketing expert hat)

You don't even have to put that hat, a hat of average AAA gamer is more than enough. Kudos to you for "market flooded with great titles", by the way, but you made a mistake by mentioning GOG, instead should've mentioned PSN and Xbox Store.

Ironically though, the truth is, we've never got nor will we ever get a game like Duke in modern industry because western developers would never take any kind of risk to make a worthy Duke game, hell, they can't even produce non-bland or just innovate games, let alone FPS games, and you absolutely must take risks to produce a good Duke Nukem game. Though this wouldn't be the main problem, after all Duke 3D was made the way it is not because the devs wanted to chase other genres or wanted to be innovate for the sake of it, the people that made Duke 3D simply wanted to make something really cool with various cool stuff they like themselves, they were enthusiastic and had a passion for DN3D. There are no enthusiasts anymore who themselves love video games, sadly, with the exception of indies maybe, the ones that do make games not just for the sake of money alone, but out of their love for video games in general. It works the same way for pretty much a lot of games though, not just Duke.

Games like Duke 3D were a fluke at this point, and there were many like it, including System Shock, Deus Ex, C&C, many games, really. Those games were made by enthusiasts who had a passion and love for video games, but now we live in an era where companies have a passion for profit which is why they're trying to make rehashes of the older successful titles made by enthusiastic people, the rehashes that are from average to terrible compared to original games in most cases.

What's really interesting is that thus far people standards became extremely low, to the point that even games like Terminator, a pretty average FPS that is not shit are considered actually "great". I would put id games into that category as well, honestly. I bet if suddenly a Duke Nukem game like 3D would appear on the market, but improved (with no big innovations, although DN3D on its own looks very innovative compared to modern FPS), and I'm talking about FPS developed for PC in mind with no politically correct bullshit in it, people would call it a masterpiece or a "FPS of a decade".

I mean, just look at success of Joker, which is really an average movie, not even a superhero movie (technically, even if you remove Batman themes it still would be almost the same movie), yet it's getting a high praise from the people and is called literally a "masterpiece" or also a "movie of a decade", just because it's a fresh movie compared to the rest of the crap produced in Hollywood these days. They made a fucking billion from this average movie. Movie industry has it the worst compared to video games, but I think it's fair to compare it to the AAA video game industry. Joker was, unsurprisingly, attacked by "journalists" shitheads too, and yet they did little to no impact on its performance.

Anyway, the world does not deserve a good Duke Nukem game. I hope Randy let the franchise rest in the closet, and that at worst he'll just use him as an excuse to "prove" people that Randy is not a leftist or don't support pc culture in arguments on his Twitter, just because he owns a Duke Nukem franchise. lol

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 30 November 2019 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMatthew, on 30 November 2019 - 04:10 AM, said:

They should start small instead of going full 'AAA' or even 'AA'. Test the waters with new Duke game in the build engine, and I mean new and not just another re-re-re-re-release of Duke3D. If that does well, test it with a bigger and better engine. If each subsequent game does good then finally go after a [insert Jim Sterling's screechy voice] 'AAA' game.

Google "Duke Nukem's World Tour".

Spoiler

View PostPerro Seco, on 28 November 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

I prefer a Duke sequel meant to be nostalgic rather than "innovative".

Well, you're lucky. It turns out there's a magic program that will make INFINITE NOSTALGIC SEQUELS for you! https://doomedmoddin...-generator.html

View PostPerro Seco, on 28 November 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

unnecessary gameplay/story complexity.

Don't redefine words. You wrote "unnecessary", but you really mean stuff you don't like.

View PostTea Monster, on 30 November 2019 - 05:30 AM, said:

Spoiler

Precisely. Any Duke Nukem game that uses the Build engine is going to be a failure. At most, there's going to be a TINY community of nostalgics that only likes it because they liked Duke Nukem 3D (case in point: Ion Fury) and the game is based on repetition of what was already seen in Duke Nukem 3D, but a Duke game cannot, and will never, make the same impact Duke Nukem 3D did in 1996, if it uses the Build engine

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 November 2019 - 06:42 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

You're just jealous of me because I don't even need a Duke sequel. :lol:

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostSledgehammer, on 30 November 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

the people that made Duke 3D simply wanted to make something really cool with various cool stuff they like themselves, they were enthusiastic and had a passion for DN3D. There are no enthusiasts anymore who themselves love video games, sadly, with the exception of indies maybe, the ones that do make games not just for the sake of money alone, but out of their love for video games in general. It works the same way for pretty much a lot of games though, not just Duke.

The saddest truth, really. There's nothing wrong with trying to obtain profit of course, but these days everything is made solely by focus groups and stuffy suits who don't even partake in the hobby they profit from. We always had those but somehow they're the ones entirely running the show these days.

It's hip and trendy to bash on people who have fondness for the 90s. To label everyone who does as just "nostalgia-blind." And maybe nostalgia is a part of it, but that is hardly the main reason. I think the reason the 90s are more lauded than any other decade was simply because for a lot of media, video games in particular, there was a general air of fun. The 80s sorta had this too, to an extent.

I do long for the days where a group of about a half-dozen people could just make a game they thought was cool and unleash it on the world for better or worse.

That's partly why I think we don't deserve a good Duke game. Also, I forgot to mention that Duke game would be too ambitious for enthusiasts because there is none in AAA industry. Arguably even in AA as well.

Please, i don't want to see Duke in Borderlands.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostNinety-Six, on 30 November 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

The saddest truth, really. There's nothing wrong with trying to obtain profit of course, but these days everything is made solely by focus groups and stuffy suits who don't even partake in the hobby they profit from. We always had those but somehow they're the ones entirely running the show these days.

It's hip and trendy to bash on people who have fondness for the 90s. To label everyone who does as just "nostalgia-blind." And maybe nostalgia is a part of it, but that is hardly the main reason. I think the reason the 90s are more lauded than any other decade was simply because for a lot of media, video games in particular, there was a general air of fun. The 80s sorta had this too, to an extent.

I do long for the days where a group of about a half-dozen people could just make a game they thought was cool and unleash it on the world for better or worse.

That's all of entertainment nowadays in a nutshell. Every field that falls into pop culture category nowadays develops a general tendency to try and appeal to anonymous masses as opposed to the original, core enthusiasts, that's games but also music, film, sports and generally anything rooted in primal expression that eventually gets deemed as exploitable. Numbers are the true modern religion, and out of all ambitious entrepreneurs, the most greedy and/or insecure will always chase the next step, sometimes with so much excitement they'll forget that contributing to the world with quality doesn't necessarily equal racing against it in blind hopes for an imaginary 'more'.

I'm not into longing for the old days, though, because the reality is the current days still are what one makes them; there's always room for indie efforts, and one is free to relive things they are nostalgic for as much as they want because, why the heck not. In order to retain sanity these days, I find that it's healthy to remember that again, no matter the field, all the flamboyant marketing modern society likes to flash at us and cram into our heads is nothing pure phantasmal bullshit manufactured by merchants in an effort to manipulate the people and claim their own say in the monetary flow; below that surface there will always be passionate people who create out of love, because that's a fundamental human tendency that can hardly be helped.

tl;dr the aspects of anything mainstream that occasionally look like putrid shit usually are just the tip of a bigger iceberg that's fundamentally cleaner and made of more sincere intent below the surface, usually making it worth the dive. There still are indie devs and - I'm sure - ways of supporting them, so I'd say anyone attached to such values is probably better off going after that in the present rather than fixating over what they've been brainwashed to think is now a model of the past.

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 28 November 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

This probably goes without saying, but Duke himself was a caricature of 90s tropes. The character went through so many changes from DN1 to DN2, and in DN3D they made him into a Willis/Arnold hybrid thing. A good Duke game probably couldn't be made today without dissociating the character from most of his 90s personality, which begs the question as to why anyone would consider using the character in the first place.

That's a good point, personally I have an alternative take on this. I think a big mistake in the direction of the current Duke IP is that they actually try - arguably too hard - to have it cling to the 90's tropes and humor, which originally worked in the context of Duke 3D as the references were current at the time, making Duke a perfect fuse for acidic social satire people could relate to and laugh with. DNF discarded that dimension altogether (when I'm sure they could have found modern equivalents to, say, the O.J. Simpson chase, or up-to-date in-game movie references, as though to literally update the tone of Duke 3D), to basically only keep the sex and poop jokes and turn Duke into the brainchild of Eric Cartman and an OK boomer meme. In the end, I feel like DNF went after a current, popular representation of what a 90's personality should look like now - which is, out of place as soon as you strip it down of all its codes - as opposed to recycling the timeless strengths of the original 90's character, if that makes sense. I'm guessing that economically, that was deemed a safer bet than tackling anything remotely political again, again in times of fierce competition where entrepreneurs are tempted to reach out to always bigger, always more foreign, always more fundamentally disconnected crowds; which eventually turned out to be a bad one as they never really managed to connect with those (due to a presently unrelatable character), all the while losing the original fan base (due to making the character unrelatable). It looks like they chose all the wrong cards to play and discard.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostLazy Dog, on 30 November 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Please, i don't want to see Duke in Borderlands.

Yes you do, yes you do! :lol:

View PostSledgehammer, on 30 November 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

Yes you do, yes you do! :lol:

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postck3D, on 30 November 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

That's a good point, personally I have an alternative take on this. I think a big mistake in the direction of the current Duke IP is that they actually try - arguably too hard - to have it cling to the 90's tropes and humor, which originally worked in the context of Duke 3D as the references were current at the time, making Duke a perfect fuse for acidic social satire people could relate to and laugh with. DNF discarded that dimension altogether (when I'm sure they could have found modern equivalents to, say, the O.J. Simpson chase, or up-to-date in-game movie references, as though to literally update the tone of Duke 3D), to basically only keep the sex and poop jokes and turn Duke into the brainchild of Eric Cartman and an OK boomer meme. In the end, I feel like DNF went after a current, popular representation of what a 90's personality should look like now - which is, out of place as soon as you strip it down of all its codes - as opposed to recycling the timeless strengths of the original 90's character, if that makes sense. I'm guessing that economically, that was deemed a safer bet than tackling anything remotely political again, again in times of fierce competition where entrepreneurs are tempted to reach out to always bigger, always more foreign, always more fundamentally disconnected crowds; which eventually turned out to be a bad one as they never really managed to connect with those (due to a presently unrelatable character), all the while losing the original fan base (due to making the character unrelatable). It looks like they chose all the wrong cards to play and discard.

I'd also mention that a lot of the humor you pointed out doesn't actually pertain to Duke's personality. The OJ references consist of billboards, a tv screen, and some sprites here and there. But nothing that Duke actually says or even seemingly acknowledges. They were details left to the player to discover. They were never the focus of the original game. But in DNF, the jokes were forced and designed as the main spectacle.

User is offline   Paul B 

I think if they made Duke Nukem in a similar open world environment like FarCry 3- 5 they would bring Duke back into the modern day gaming world. Just use the FarCry 5 Engine and slap a good story behind it. Have the game missions completely playable with two or more player co-op and optional deathmatch while mixing in some different multi-player modes like what Left 4 Dead did where you can play as either aliens or heros in versus mode. The game would sell itself and have endless replay value.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 30 November 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'd also mention that a lot of the humor you pointed out doesn't actually pertain to Duke's personality. The OJ references consist of billboards, a tv screen, and some sprites here and there. But nothing that Duke actually says or even seemingly acknowledges. They were details left to the player to discover. They were never the focus of the original game. But in DNF, the jokes were forced and designed as the main spectacle.

Correct, I guess where exactly the lines get blurred is when it comes to all the other popular culture references of the times i.e.. the dead Terminator, Indiana Jones or Doom Marine that Duke does acknowledge in the game. A more in-tune update for such impactful content and the general 'message' would have been just as gnarly references to other movie and game characters but of the current times, and with the evolution of western society throughout the early naughts there was probably a lot of subject matter at hand to provide new dimensions to the tone as well, except instead of all the wit Duke 3D had led us to expect we only got unintelligible shit throwing and wall boobs. Killed the character on the masses' altar right there, probably chasing the illusion that the dirtiest aspects of Duke 3D were what really sold the original game (and perhaps they did, to most, at the time, and now as the few core enthusiasts left, we find ourselves romanticizing the past?) and so of course, that's what a new crowd would instantly relate to too, except dumbed down because the more generic the product, the bigger (and more anonymous) audience. Turned out not many kids really fell for the thirty-something washed-out body-builder in a tank top smearing feces around with his bare hands all the while wearing shades indoors as a mascot, who would have known.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 30 November 2019 - 05:30 AM, said:

Spoiler

I said a new Duke game in the build engine entirely, not just another re-release of Duke3D. World Tour was just another re-release of Duke3D upon a dozen that are out there with just a single new episode lazily slapped on to differentiate it from the rest. How about a new Duke game in the build engine with 3-4 new episodes, new enemies added in, some new weapons, pop culture references, and what not?

We really don't need a 'AAA' Duke games, anyways. I would gladly take a new build engine Duke game over another play-it-safe-and-by-the-numbers 'AAA' game with a bloated budget that can make or break a studio.

This post has been edited by Matthew: 30 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostMatthew, on 30 November 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

I said a new Duke game in the build engine entirely, not just another re-release of Duke3D. World Tour was just another re-release of Duke3D upon a dozen that are out there with just a single new episode lazily slapped on to differentiate it from the rest. How about a new Duke game in the build engine with 3-4 new episodes, new enemies added in, some new weapons, pop culture references, and what not?

Pretty sure Duke 3D enthusiasts would love that the same way they loved Ion Fury, also what you're describing I assume is essentially what a lot of people were expecting DNF to be after the first trailer dropped, and also why people loved DNF the Duke 3D mod so much. There's a void waiting to be filled and that's been waiting for a long time, albeit maybe not (or maybe?) the most profitable one. I would put that responsibility on indie developers though, because given the current pace of the economy there is no way no one can come close to fulfilling that rather specific vision but the most sincere enthusiasts; no company large enough to put financial interest before the quality of their fanbase I can realistically see willing to bet on a Build engine game nearing 2020, which in the end is all on them how right or out of touch they may be.

Not even sure where I'm going with this post but I already feel like I'm beating a dead horse, personally I gave up the prestige I'd give to Duke the 'IP' a long time ago, the IP lives in the hearts of the fans now regardless of their interpretation of the character (really everyone has theirs) so if anything, user content and mods are everything to celebrate (even more so now that they're getting more and more scarce) and ideally people should just end up making their own episodes instead of yelling at windmills or else they're never going to play the game they want to see.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostPerro Seco, on 30 November 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

I don't even need a Duke sequel. :lol:

Yet you still feel the need to clog the tubes.

View PostPaul B, on 30 November 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

I think if they made Duke Nukem in a similar open world environment like FarCry 3- 5 they would bring Duke back into the modern day gaming world. Just use the FarCry 5 Engine and slap a good story behind it. Have the game missions completely playable with two or more player co-op and optional deathmatch while mixing in some different multi-player modes like what Left 4 Dead did where you can play as either aliens or heros in versus mode. The game would sell itself and have endless replay value.

THIS.
Have an open world you can freely explore, a main plot divided into missions, and the ability to dedicate yourself to exploration after each mission. Have optional, procedurally generated missions that are not influential to the main plot, but let you upgrade your character. And most of all, TONE DOWN THE PARODY ASPECT. When Duke3D was new, I wasn't aware that it was parodizing anything, so I took everything at face value. I think I would not have enjoyed it that much, had I immediately known much of it was references to something else.

View Postck3D, on 30 November 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

also what you're describing I assume is essentially what a lot of people were expecting DNF to be after the first trailer dropped

Not me. I never expected DNF to feel like Duke Nukem 3D, and I wanted it to be its own thing. In fact, when I played DNF for the first time, I thought it felt too much like Duke Nukem 3D: same enemies and same weapons.

When the first trailer was released (assuming you mean the 1998 trailer), this is what I was expecting DNF to be:
- completely different enemies, just like each previous episode had its own set of enemies
- completely different weapons, with even more outlandish effects (when 3DPortal was still active, I had posted a message on their forum where I asked for a black hole generator gun)
- environments with a higher 3D complexity, without the limitations of the Build engine, polygonal enemies and colored lighting
- much higher interactivity, with complex structures that can be destroyed and fall in a physically realistic way, multiple vehicles to pilot, and ways to reshape a level (demolishing buildings, cleaning out the rubble...)
- new oneliners from Duke
- a story that tied all the previous episodes together, with the revelations that Doctor Proton contacted the Rigelatins and the Cycloids

Instead, this is what I did NOT expect:
- a higher sexual content (in fact, I never gave any importance to the sexual content in Duke3D)
- parodistical references getting constantly shoved down my throat

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

If I had money I'd buy the IP, get the E3 2001 back together (or as much of it as I can), and remake the game with old Unreal tech on a small budget. Maybe even do a kickstarter to raise more capital if initial trailers garners interest.

User is offline   NNC 

I want a Duke Nukem 3D sequel on the Build Engine, but only by Allen GOD Blum. A few new art here and there, maybe some coding and stuff by other people, but mapping only by the greatest leveldesigner of all times (sorry Romero).

View PostYatta, on 30 November 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

remake the game with old Unreal tech on a small budget.

Wouldn't that be more expensive than using the modern Unreal engine and imitating the look of the older one?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

As far as I am concerned, I'd already be good with a Duke3D revival title based on "Ion Maiden Build". That with a properly motivated Jon St John for the voice acting and ofc the godly Lee Jackson as composer and I'd pay ANY amount of money to crowdfund this. If it's not helmed by Gearbox.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 December 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

Wouldn't that be more expensive than using the modern Unreal engine and imitating the look of the older one?

You're right.

User is offline   Mark 

Wouldn't that price depend on how much was charged for licensing the old verses new Unreal Engine for a commercial release? I would think the old could be way cheaper.

View PostMark, on 01 December 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

Wouldn't that price depend on how much was charged for licensing the old verses new Unreal Engine for a commercial release? I would think the old could be way cheaper.

According to the official FAQ: "Unreal Engine is free to use. If you are publishing a game, there is a 5% royalty on gross product revenue after the first $3,000 per game per calendar quarter. If you are using Unreal Engine for architecture, automotive, film, television, broadcast, live events, training and simulation, or other non-games projects, there are no royalties to be paid, you can create and build your projects for free. Read the EULA FAQ for more details. Contact us if you require custom terms."

View PostNightFright, on 01 December 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

As far as I am concerned, I'd already be good with a Duke3D revival title based on "Ion Maiden Build". That with a properly motivated Jon St John for the voice acting and ofc the godly Lee Jackson as composer and I'd pay ANY amount of money to crowdfund this. If it's not helmed by Gearbox.

Do we even need Jon St John? Sure, he gave a good voice in the 90s. Lately, however, he seems to be phoning everything in. Listen to his Postal Dude voice and it sounds...lazy. He isn't a young nobody anymore and thus lost his desire to make a name for himself. I can't be the only one that seems to notice how actors (be it voice or otherwise) lose their desire to be great at what they do when they make a name for themselves. Look at Adam Sandler. He was funny back in the day. He actually was. Now he just phones it in like a person bored of making movies.

I say its time we bring in someone knew. A young talent that can pull off the Duke voice. One that is energetic and just can't wait to make a name for himself.

This post has been edited by Matthew: 02 December 2019 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   Mark 

That 5% clause is for the Unreal 4 Engine. I wonder if terms are different for the older version engine.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This is essentially a repeat of the "has Duke been put out to pasture" thread, except without the flaming and bickering so far. So I'll repeat something I said in that other thread.

You don't need the Duke IP to make a spiritual sequel to Duke. Save some money by not buying the IP and make something that is a spiritual successor. You can even get JSJ to voice the main and it will sound like Duke. Or not. Also, very little of Duke content is proprietary. Other than the theme song and Duke himself, the individual elements are fairly generic. The kind of updates needed to make it a modern game (I'm talking about graphical design, not culture wars) would likely make the new game distinctive anyway. I feel like if people were serious they would do this and stop whining about Randy Pitchford. You just need someone to get the ball rolling (maybe the makers of the Serious Sam mod) and have a kickstarter, then we would find out if the fans really want to support it.

View PostMark, on 02 December 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

That 5% clause is for the Unreal 4 Engine. I wonder if terms are different for the older version engine.

Terms were certainly different: rather than giving them royalties, you paid them hundreds of thousands of dollars in advance. Versions older than UE4 are now unsupported and unavailable.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMatthew, on 02 December 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

Do we even need Jon St John? Sure, he gave a good voice in the 90s. Lately, however, he seems to be phoning everything in. Listen to his Postal Dude voice and it sounds...lazy. He isn't a young nobody anymore and thus lost his desire to make a name for himself. I can't be the only one that seems to notice how actors (be it voice or otherwise) lose their desire to be great at what they do when they make a name for themselves. Look at Adam Sandler. He was funny back in the day. He actually was. Now he just phones it in like a person bored of making movies.

I say its time we bring in someone knew. A young talent that can pull off the Duke voice. One that is energetic and just can't wait to make a name for himself.

That's not really fair.

First off, having been a friend of his on facebook for many years I can tell you, without going too far into his personal life, dude has had some shit happen over the years. He's not exactly basking in billions of dollars. He's actually got a pretty tight budget. Many years ago he actually put out a video talking about how voice acting work is really hard to come by, especially because of big name celebrities in Hollywood lending their voice talents to many companies, and usually for many orders of magnitude times the dosh than he'd ever see. (He said he'd get enough to cover house payments, compared to them getting fiv eor six figures as I recall.)

That's not even mentioning the personal shit that's gone on for him. Family problems, depression, etc... The entire Duke Nukem fiasco has probably hurt nobody more than him. Duke was his BIG break. Having it completely raped like this has hurt him.

As far as performance. His work on Rad Rodgers and Ion Fury is great. He sounds fantastic. I've heard his voice in an ad here and there as well an dhe's just as professional as ever. I played Postal 4 a couple times so far and Jon sounds fine. The problem is, he's not Rick Hunter, and that's who defines Postal Dude. Jon puts on a good dry sense of humor, but it's not the same.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 December 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

This is essentially a repeat of the "has Duke been put out to pasture" thread, except without the flaming and bickering so far. So I'll repeat something I said in that other thread.

You don't need the Duke IP to make a spiritual sequel to Duke. Save some money by not buying the IP and make something that is a spiritual successor. You can even get JSJ to voice the main and it will sound like Duke. Or not. Also, very little of Duke content is proprietary. Other than the theme song and Duke himself, the individual elements are fairly generic. The kind of updates needed to make it a modern game (I'm talking about graphical design, not culture wars) would likely make the new game distinctive anyway. I feel like if people were serious they would do this and stop whining about Randy Pitchford. You just need someone to get the ball rolling (maybe the makers of the Serious Sam mod) and have a kickstarter, then we would find out if the fans really want to support it.

Yeah, I think that's entirely true. Though I will say this.

It isn't the same. Duke, when he was good, was such a integral piece of the game. His theme song, his personality, his particular style... You can't just take those things out and have the same experience. If you look at what Duke Nukem 3D might have been without those aspects... It would have been a good, even a great game, but that personality... The PERSONA was a big part of what made him great. Nobody compares. Not Sam, not Wang, no Caleb. You couldn't plug in a pretender and get the same fire.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options