Duke4.net Forums: PCExhumed - Exhumed/PowerSlave PC port - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PCExhumed - Exhumed/PowerSlave PC port

Hi Everyone,

I am releasing my port of the PC version of Exhumed/PowerSlave, called PCExhumed, using EDuke32 technology.

This is the result my reverse engineering of the version of the game that is considered the most complete - the 1996 retail
release of Exhumed. Special thanks to Nuke.YKT for additional programming and help.

It will work with either the retail data files from Exhumed or PowerSlave.

The game is available for purchase on GOG.com: https://www.gog.com/game/powerslave

The port can be considered nearly feature complete and should be fully playable to completion of the game. Some features such as
music playback and cinematic cutscenes and movies are not available but will be added. Multiplayer is not present but could be added
eventually if the interest is sufficient.

Please let me know here what you think and please let me know if you discover any bugs or missing features, or even to provide general suggestions :o

PCExhumed website and download
Source code

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 04 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Thanks a ton for making this guys!

I already got to test this around a bit for the past few days and it's very feature complete / playable. I would say it's practically 99% there for SP.
Even runs the "Ruins" map pack flawlessly without any breakage that I could detect.

Perf is super smooth.

User is offline   MetHy 

Been testing this as well and it's great, the smoothness compared to DOSbox is incredible, after 5 mins you really can't go back. Great job there!

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Wow, Christmas came early, seriously.

People don't like DOS version, but I always thought it was very good even compared to console version despite most of its obvious flaws that could be (and now they were) fixed by a proper source port anyway (though AI can be a problem because it was designed to be "easy" due to controls). I look forward for it to be improved and I hope nothing bad happens to this port.

Thank you guys, this is really like a Christmas gift.

This is amazing!

I often tried to beat this game on dosbox, but it gave me a serious case of motion sickness for whatever reason, to the point that I couldn't finish more than a handful of levels. This port is so smooth, all motion sickness is gone!

Christmas indeed came early this year, many thanks for this effort. Looking forward for future developments.

User is offline   Manhs 

Played the first map, good render and very smooth, thank you!
(also real strafe system ^^)
I will play the whole game when there will be the musics :o

This post has been edited by Manhs: 21 November 2019 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   axl 

Wow ! Amazing stuff.

Small question : how do you go to setup ? Change controls ?

User is offline   howerton 

There is a bug in the second level when you push the block into the arrowspitter the game crashes, otherwise the port is perfect. Great job on this!

Great! Always wanted to play Powerslave in the "right way". Dosbox version and also others ports gave me motion sickness. PS: how to change controls, mouse speed, invert mouse etc....?

User is offline   beer 

Very cool! I never heard of this game until now.. definitely going to play it!

To my surprise, it compiles and runs on ARM. I tested it on my Pinebook Pro (Rockchip RK3399) running a Manjaro ARM preview build and the software renderer in eDuke32 (open source graphics drivers are currently pretty flaky)

Very brief test video below. It seems to run in slow motion because of the screen recorder and weak hardware.. it's actually playable without the recorder running.

This post has been edited by beer: 21 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Thanks so much!!! :lol: This was a classic from my childhood that I never got to revisit because it started giving me headaches in Dosbox.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Any chance of implementing an FOV slider and Mouse Inversion in the near future?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys :lol:

I've uploaded a new version which should fix some issues with config file generation:

https://gitlab.com/e...umed_221119.zip

You'll now see a 'settings.cfg' in your game directory after first-run which can be edited with a text editor to change your keys. Our plan is to revamp the game's menu system to allow all sorts of settings to be changed in-game.

The crash that howerton pointed out should also be fixed (thanks for reporting it!)

I know things feel a bit unfinished at the moment, but I've been working on this for a long time and due to some personal issues, hadn't devoted much time to it this year - I needed to push *something* out to give me a much needed motivational kick up the arse, so all the positive vibes are a real help :)

• banned!

The polymer option crashes the game for me if I try to load a map, otherwise it seems to work fine. In the future it would be cool to get a widescreen HUD, but it's alright the way it is too.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I wouldn't expect Polymer to work correctly in any port of a game not based on the duke codebase.

• banned!

View PostPhredreeke, on 22 November 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

I wouldn't expect Polymer to work correctly in any port of a game not based on the duke codebase.

I only tried it because I get some garbled colors in the menu otherwise.

Also, last I heard M210's port will have a "save anywhere" feature, so that might be something to look into as well.

I found a strange issue while playing through the game: after finishing "El Subua" level and loading the next one, "El Derr", I get a strange graphical glitch which you can see here. It's as if I was on fire at the start of the map. Reloading a save gets rid of it, but every time I close the game entirely and restart the game to load "El Derr" the glitch comes back. Another reload (without closing the game completely) fixes it again.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it happens with both versions of the port provided so far.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 22 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

View PostPutrid Pete, on 22 November 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

I found a strange issue while playing through the game: after finishing "El Subua" level and loading the next one, "El Derr", I get a strange graphical glitch which you can see here. It's as if I was on fire at the start of the map. Reloading a save gets rid of it, but every time I close the game entirely and restart the game to load "El Derr" the glitch comes back. Another reload (without closing the game completely) fixes it again.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it happens with both versions of the port provided so far.

That's one of the ingame powerups triggering - the severed hand lets you fire twice as fast to do double damage effectively. It makes your gun go red like that when active.

I reckon when you press enter on the map screen, that button press is carrying into the game and activating the powerup. You can see on the one instance when it doesn't happen, you still have two dots of magic power available (to the right of the item window)

Shouldn't be happening anyway - thanks for letting us know :lol:

I see! Well I wasn't familiar with all the items, as I've only played PS briefly before like I mentioned earlier, so it's good to know the cause. Guess I'll press the Escape key from now on to avoid this. :lol:

Thanks for looking into it regardless!

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

This is brilliant! Thanks so much, mate. Finally we can play this version of the game as it should be played.

User is offline   Master O 

Obligatory:

This post has been edited by Master O: 22 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

When it was clear PowerslaveGDX will be made, I started making widescreen weapon sprites for PS. Here's my mini mod (see attachment) if someone doesn't want to see cut off sprites, it's bundled with the port's version which has def script support so it should work. It doesn't have mummy stuff sprites yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   axl 

View PostDzierzan, on 23 November 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

When it was clear PowerslaveGDX will be made, I started making widescreen weapon sprites for PS. Here's my mini mod (see attachment) if someone doesn't want to see cut off sprites, it's bundled with the port's version which has def script support so it should work. It doesn't have mummy stuff sprites yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Great stuff !

Question for Sirlemonhead: doesn't the original version have "progressive shading" (like Doom, Duke, Blood, ...) ? If so, will it be implemented as well in your source port ? It adds a lot to the atmosphere. Can't wait for the addition of music.

I can't thank you enough for bringing this classic game to modern eras. It seems like a golden era for Build these days (Rednukem, NBlood, Ion Fury and now PCExhumed) !

This post has been edited by axl: 23 November 2019 - 03:18 AM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Is there a way to invert the mouse in the current build, or will that be in the next build, please?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

My proposition of widescreen HUD:

Posted Image

View PostKerr Avon, on 23 November 2019 - 04:30 AM, said:

Is there a way to invert the mouse in the current build, or will that be in the next build, please?

Yeah, i would like to invert the mouse too

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

IMO The HUD should be an EDuke32 inspired solution, which NBlood also adopted. Obviously it's only doable if the art in Powerslave allows for it, but ideally you should try getting rid of the entire bulky status bar if possible.

NBlood ships a widescreen friendly status bar inside NBlood,pk3 so it can be done even if the game's own assets aren't enough for it.

User is offline   Manhs 

You should give a proper name for your port ^^
Like "Lemon Exhumed"? ^^

This post has been edited by Manhs: 23 November 2019 - 11:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options