Duke4.net Forums: Polymer Contrast Adaptive Sharpening - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer Contrast Adaptive Sharpening

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 October 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Looking at ICD's screens fro idTech 4, the biggest improvement seems to be that far away textures still look detailed:

Vanilla Duke 3D doesn't provide very good cases for this? Maybe in a map with a large viewing range that had some of the higher-res textures on distant objects.

Exactly right, which is partially stunned that some people say the effect is "too drastic" on the legacy textures, there are some places I turn it on and off and I don't see much of a delta at all, but the areas that I have seen so far it seems to work, I'll try with the HRP assets and see what the gains are.

User is offline   TON 

Some comparisons:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TON: 06 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View Posticecoldduke, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

Exactly right, which is partially stunned that some people say the effect is "too drastic" on the legacy textures, there are some places I turn it on and off and I don't see much of a delta at all, but the areas that I have seen so far it seems to work, I'll try with the HRP assets and see what the gains are.

Based on that (prey?) example on the previous page, I stand by what I said :o
But it's clear that this is a look that's not for me and that's ok. I might have trained my eye too much to spot this specific look that to me it just always ends up looking undesirable.
I guess it's like how one can complain about music compression/normalizing.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This is a good idea in principle, but I think it looks too sharpened to the point where it's starting to break up a bit. Is there an effect slider somewhere you can choose how much sharpening goes on?

I personally think that the demo you showed off with the GTX AI upscalling was a better effect overall. Is there any chance of extracting the upscale textures and releasing them as a pack for those who don't have a funky new graphics card?

I'll just echo what others say. In the Prey screenshot I like it. With original Duke assets, not so much. Maybe it would be better with HRP assets.

Personally I keep seeing @Mickey C's signature and thinking I want the same things.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.

I'd add Parallax Mapping.

User is online   Mark 

Eduke32 already has Parallax Mapping. However, it works only on wall, floor, ceiling textures but not models IIRC. I've messed around with it a bit. The terminology gets muddled but basically the height or displacement info gets put into the Alpha channel of the normal map.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pmapping.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 07 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

When applied to ART tiles, all this effect does is make everything look sandy. There is no benefit in this case.

It makes more sense for high resolution assets. I like the idTech 4 example. As far as source ports of pre-highres games go, it should be used as a content creator's conscious choice for the aesthetic style they are trying to present, and not intended as an across-the-board improvement for use in all cases.

View PostHendricks266, on 07 October 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

When applied to ART tiles, all this effect does is make everything look sandy. There is no benefit in this case.

It makes more sense for high resolution assets. I like the idTech 4 example. As far as source ports of pre-highres games go, it should be used as a content creator's conscious choice for the aesthetic style they are trying to present, and not intended as an across-the-board improvement for use in all cases.

Completely agree, I still need to see how CaS looks with the HRP assets, I think the original tiles are just too low res.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 08 October 2019 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You'd get a better result with simple nearest scaling and anisotropic filtering when it comes to the low res assets.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posticecoldduke, on 05 October 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

Make sure you have Polymer turned on, CaS should be on by default in Polymer, I think the way I coded it Polymost might crash, I'll fix that, so ensure Polymer is turned on.
...patiently waiting for that fix, so I can safely put this into my personal builds... :o

User is offline   Romulus 

After reading the whole discussion regarding CAS in this thread, I felt the urge to explain what CAS' true purpose is as there seem to be some confusion among you.

CAS aka Contrast Adaptive Sharpening is an AMD open source thing that is a part of Radeon Image Sharpening. The goal of CAS is to provide a sharper image when you're upscaling a resolution that is below your display's native resolution.

You might be thinking why would anyone want to do such a thing? The obvious answer is performance. Let's assume you've a 4K or 1440P monitor but you've a GPU that can provide good enough framerate for 1440p or 1080p, respectively for the scenarios mentioned. Playing at native 4K or 1440p brings your framerate down significantly, but if you upscale 1440P to 4K/1080p to 1440p (again, respectively for both scenarios) you'd get much better performance, at the cost of a softer or blurrier image. CAS aka Contrast Adaptive Sharpening helps in instances when upscaling from a lower than your display's native resolution, as it can significantly improve the details of the upscaled image without too many visible artifacts. Applying CAS to your native resolution may not be the best idea unless the game you're playing uses really blurry AA methods (I am looking at you Resident Evil 2 Remake) and unless the game you're playing introduces a resolution scaler or you enable your GPU's own downsampling/upscaling methods like DSR and VSR for nvidia and AMD, CAS isn't going to be all that useful unless you like the extra crispy sharpened image, as we all know tastes differ. I personally have use for CAS when upscaling and downsampling, and in scenarios where MSAA is counter productive hence I have to stick to FXAA and SMAA and adding a sharpening shader like CAS or some other Sharpening Shader from ReShade can be helpful.

Currently CAS aka Radeon Image Sharpening is limited to DirectX 11 and maybe DirectX 9 games only, and the support for it is limited. However, any developer can choose to implement this into their game if they wish, and there are adaptations of it in post processing shader like tools like ReShade (which I personally use in a lot of games) but since ReShade and eDuke32 doesn't mix all too well, an option to scale the resolution along with CAS would make things very interesting.

I could have provided a bunch of example images and links to videos and various reviews but I feel that this information can easily obtained by anyone who's interested to learn further.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 20 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options