Duke4.net Forums: custom sounds missing in latest revisions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

custom sounds missing in latest revisions

User is online   Mark 

Somewhere between 7622 and today's revision has caused a bunch of the custom sounds to stop playing in the HHR project. No errors in the log for them.

I'll find which revision started it later this morning and to see if it affected other projects.

EDIT: 7754 was the last working revision. Next public release of 7765 was bad. In the change log, 7758 shows a change made to sounds. So far only HHR seems to be affected. I tested 2 other projects and they were fine. The poster of a very recent HHR playthrough video on Youtube had the same problem so its not something on my end.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 August 2019 - 06:07 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This makes me worry about my own projects. Do the non-playing sounds have anything in common? Could you post the definesound lines for them?

User is online   Mark 

I should mention, some of the non playing sounds are same name as the originals with an .ogg extension. In those cases the original file plays and not the new ogg version. I'll have to check if sounds above the stock 397 (or whatever it is) are playing or not.

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 August 2019 - 05:23 AM

User is online   Mark 

Its confusing so I'll have to double check. Custom sounds after the stock 397 are playing fine.
Example for sound 400: definesound NOWAY sounds/noway.ogg 0 0 255 0 0

Sounds using the folder "sounds" in the pathway and are replacing an original sound, when used in the menus are playing fine. But if they are used during the map, the original sounds play instead of the new.

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 August 2019 - 05:56 AM

User is online   Mark 

Hey TD. Did you check to see if any of your mods were affected?

From the lack of attention, if its only affecting HHR then I'll let it drop even though some revision update broke it.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark, on 24 August 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

From the lack of attention, if its only affecting HHR then I'll let it drop even though some revision update broke it.
No. If something gets broken after working for years, it's up to the devs to fix or to explain why it's you who needs to adapt your stuff. Way too many of these things have slipped through unfixed. Please keep pushing. (Lack of attention: it's Ion Fury time...)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 24 August 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hey TD. Did you check to see if any of your mods were affected?

Oh man, I'm really sorry but I completely forgot to reply to this thread. You see, I had a similar problem several months ago, found a workaround and then forgot to tell you about it. I thought about it the next day after my previous reply and then got distracted by other things.

In my case, I had the regular USER.CON sounds, and then I had a separate NEWSOUNDS.CON that loaded later in the includes order. So to fix the problem, I moved ALL sound definitions to a single CON file (for me that was NEWSOUNDS.CON). I'm guessing the game is ignoring sound definitions it gets to later, maybe because it allocates sound memory based on the first CON file that it finds sound definitions in....I really have no idea what is going on but putting all the sound definitions in one file fixed it for me.

User is online   Mark 

Its been 3 months and nobody new has posted any issues with other mods. Either they were not affected or not many older mods are still being played. I guess I'll let it drop and hope that players will use the included eduke32 version with HHR.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Did you try the suggestion implied by my last post?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This issue was fixed a while back.

User is online   Mark 

OK. I'll give the new revision a try. I didn't see any post from a dev so I had to assume it went un-noticed.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Nah, it was something we had known about for a while as it was causing issues with Ion Fury while the game was in development. We worked around the problem for version 1.0 and fixed it around the time we released 1.01/1.02.

User is online   Mark 

It must have been a different sound issue fixed. Its still broken in the latest. Many wrong and missing sounds in HHR

User is online   Mark 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 November 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Did you try the suggestion implied by my last post?

No I didn't. Because I narrowed down the offending revision I left the project alone in hopes the fix would be made.

View PostMark, on 21 November 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

It must have been a different sound issue fixed. Its still broken in the latest. Many wrong and missing sounds in HHR

With HHR are you referring to Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked? Can you perhaps try to put together a small test package with CON file + sounds that showcases the issue?
Would be a lot less cumbersome to test than having to download the entirety of the mod.

User is online   Mark 

I was bored so I put on my detective's hat and dug into the project folder. I have the missing sounds working now under newer eduke32.

I played the game and noted all the sounds that were missing. 20 of them. I found those 20 were def'ed in separately ( sounds.def ) from the rest of the sounds in the user.con and defs.con files.

It seems that for some reason in newer eduke32 my sounds.def file was no longer being called by the eduke32.def file using the include command or it was called but contents not loaded. Or they got overwritten later, I don't know. So I got rid of the sounds.def file and redefined those 20 sounds into user and defs con with the rest.

Another possibility contributing to the problem may have been the fact that I originally used the old way of defining those missing sounds. I don't know why.
sound { id "95" file "sounds/barmusic.ogg" }
I wonder if that old way is no longer supported after revision 7754. If so, there could be more old mods out there that won't play right.

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

This problem has two layers:

In r7758 the load order for sounds was changed. I presume that due to this, sounds defined through DEF scripts are now overridden by sounds defined through CON. This causes the original VOC for the pistol sound to play, instead of pistol.ogg.

Then, in r8291, the volume can no longer be set through the DEF file and presumably defaults to 0, rendering the sound inaudible.

User is online   Mark 

I must not have received the memo on those. :) Was that important info ever posted somewhere?

I looked thru all my project folders and so far HHR was the only one that used a sounds.def file so the others should be spared from that change.

This post has been edited by Mark: 02 July 2020 - 04:29 AM

No I just investigated that myself after you pointed out that it was related to sounds defined in DEF.

Due to the load order change it seems that the sound file can't be played at all even when not redefining an existing sound, yet the volume is still set, so the command does get executed on startup.

Edit: The reason for the first problem is that sounds are cached before the DEF file is loaded. The call to `cacheAllSounds()` needs to be moved after the loading of the DEF.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 02 July 2020 - 04:34 AM

User is online   Mark 

Do you think those changes and their consequences were intentional and won't be changed back? Or maybe thats not necessary because only me and Trooper Dan ever had an issue with it. Knowing now what not to do I can avoid it as did Dan.

This post has been edited by Mark: 02 July 2020 - 04:37 AM

It's just an oversight.

Edit: Okay, bug #1 has already been fixed just as TerminX said, but bug #2 is still present, and the reason has been identified and reported on the gitlab.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 02 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

Fixed with r9159.

User is online   Mark 

A little late for me since I already performed the work-around on my copy but it does save me the hassle of replacing the download on Moddb. Plus I'm sure it will help down the line when someone else tries running an old mod or TC with sound defs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options