Duke4.net Forums: MD3 exporter for 3ds Max 2010 (x86 and x64) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MD3 exporter for 3ds Max 2010 (x86 and x64)

User is offline   Nash 

I thought the thread I posted over at 3D Realms didn't get too much attention... maybe no one's hanging out there anymore?

These haven't been tested. Please test and let me know if it works.

For those who've downloaded it before, I've recompiled the plugin yesterday to output frames in "Frame**" format instead of "from 3DS Max".

I don't compile Max 2009 plugins anymore, but if people really, REALLY want it... I guess I can install the Max 2009 SDK and compile new x86 and x64 versions of those (something which was lacking from my previous uploads). Let me know.

EDIT 02 August 2013:

I do not use 3ds Max anymore (I switched to Blender) and have absolutely no more interest in maintaining or compiling Max plugins. I have however uploaded the original, unedited source (which was last updated in year 2000'ish) so anyone else can have a go at it!

EDIT 06 August 2013:

This plugin and source code was written by Chris Cookson and it used to be called Pop 'N Fresh if I'm not mistaken. He has long since been unreachable so it is not possible to determine what kind of release the source is. Make what you will of it.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Nash: 06 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

User is offline   Hellbound 

MAN! If you're able to make a 3ds max 2009 32-bit exporter, it would be GREAT (because this one for 3ds 9 doesn't work for me :/ )

User is offline   Nash 

Please see this post http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php...mp;postcount=16

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostNash, on Jun 2 2009, 05:17 PM, said:

He already tried that and it did not work.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry19399

User is offline   Hellbound 

Please see this post http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry19495

:)

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

I can verify that the 64bit 2010 version seems to work for me in vista64. Just tried real quick to export a model the other day.

User is offline   Nash 

Does it export frame names correctly? I can't check, haven't installed 3ds Max 2010 yet (I just installed the SDK because it was quick and easy).

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostNash, on Jun 2 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

Does it export frame names correctly? I can't check, haven't installed 3ds Max 2010 yet (I just installed the SDK because it was quick and easy).

Haven't tested it since you uploaded the updated plugins. If I recall correctly from doing the same thing a few years back that change was rather simple so as long as you didn't do anything stupid it should work. I'll test it next time I get a chance though.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 03 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

User is offline   Nash 

Just coming in to check on you guys... I see that there's been some downloads since I last visited these forums. I assume it's working problem-free for you guys?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostNash, on Sep 21 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Just coming in to check on you guys... I see that there's been some downloads since I last visited these forums. I assume it's working problem-free for you guys?

Well now that I got a version of Max 8 and im not using Design 2008 & 2009 it works. (the plug in wouldn't work with 2009 IIRC)

User is offline   Showster 

Hi Nash,

Apologies for a bit of an old thread revive.

Thanks for doing this I tried it but I get some vertices to uv error when I export, I tried the same max file with max 8 and I don't get the error so I'm guessing something has gone wrong with the update.

The MD3 file itself is created and I opened in the nphernos md3 compiler, but I'm unable to assign a texture in there which is bizzare. I think the frames went out ok to.

Cheers again for updating this if you need a hand testing things in the future shout. I have friends working on http://zeq2.com/lite/ and http://www.moddb.com...alry-of-legends who would love the updates.

Best

Greg

User is offline   dimwalker 

Max 2010 x64.
While original q3a models have "from ASE" at each frame(when I import them in NPherno MD3 Compiler), my freshly exported .md3 files show all sorts of random stuff :
"Frame0", "ame83", "€¿" etc

MD3 files work in game, though most legs animations start from wrong frame.
For example, Max and MD3 Compiler show legs_idle start at 245 frame, but I need to change it to 300 in animation.cfg. This way it shows correct animation in game.
Could frame "names" be a reason of that?

P.S. Tried to recreate animations from scratch(instead of importing q3 .bip files) - same results.
But I noticed one interesting thing - in rare cases where I can read "frame name" its a bit off.

real frame 215 marked as "€?Frame248"
138 as "€?Frame160"
and so on.

This post has been edited by dimwalker: 26 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   Nash 

Hi everyone, sorry for the bump. I'd just like to let everyone know that I'm aware of these issues, but I can't really do anything about them as I know absolutely nothing about the source (or even programming for that matter). Thanks to dimwalker though, I have found Chris Cookson's latest contact info so here's hoping he has the source to the latest version which doesn't have any of these issues.

If I do get the source, I will be sure to post the updated versions. I also plan to recompile the exporter for any versions that are missing from http://www.maxplugins.de/ so that the MD3 exporter collection for 3ds Max can finally be complete.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I'd like to ask for md3 exporter for 3ds max 2008. pleeease :rolleyes:

User is offline   dimwalker 

Thanks, mate. Your work is highly appreciated.
Please keep us informed.

User is offline   Morphed 

I would like to kindly ask for a md3 exporter for 3ds max 2012

User is offline   Nash 

M-M-M-M-MONSTER BUMP

I do not use 3ds Max anymore (I switched to Blender) and have absolutely no more interest in maintaining or compiling Max plugins. I have however uploaded the original, unedited source (which was last updated in year 2000'ish) so anyone else can have a go at it!

User is offline   Hank 

View PostNash, on 02 August 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

M-M-M-M-MONSTER BUMP

Holly shit! This is a good source. Can I use it some of it to make my own plugin for another software called Cinema 4D?
You uploaded the source code in your first post but gave no restriction yet no permission what so ever.

User is online   blizzart 

View PostHank, on 03 August 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Holly shit! This is a good source. Can I use it some of it to make my own plugin for another software called Cinema 4D?
You uploaded the source code in your first post but gave no restriction yet no permission what so ever.

A Cinema 4D plugin would be awesome, Hank. I´m searchig for something like this for ages. Good luck :P

User is offline   Nash 

This plugin and source code was written by Chris Cookson and it used to be called Pop 'N Fresh if I'm not mistaken. He has long since been unreachable so it is not possible to determine what kind of release the source is. Make what you will of it.

Disclaimer added to first post.

User is offline   Hank 

^ I searched a bit, and found three updates of the importer/exporter for 3D Studio, non of which could be considered open source.

So having the actual code, for my education, is a super early Christmas Gift, in my books.

Thanks again Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I think that trying to make this plugin work is too much work, considering with another program you can convert your 3ds Max model in md3.

User is offline   Hank 

^ Oh yes, there is work involved, just remember, it's me, Hank, it would not be the first project I started that fizzled out Posted Image

User is offline   Nash 

During my last days of using Max 2013 before switching to Blender earlier this year, I came up with a decent and consistent pipeline for exporting MD3s to be used with EDuke32 and GZDoom, using Noesis as an intermediate tool.

Download Noesis here

And here's a little text file I have saved, documenting everything. It's irrelevant now but I'm posting this here anyway in case it might help anyone.

3ds Max -> MD3 Export Pipeline

3ds Max 2013:

Rotate Z around World 90 degrees (--> this way)

Export OBJ:

Geometry

[ ] Flip X/Z Axis
[ ] Shapes/Lines
[ ] Hidden Objects
Faces: Quads
[x] Texture coordinates
[x] Normals
[x] Smoothing groups

Material
[ ] Export materials
[ ] Create mat library
[ ] Force black ambient

Output
Target: PC/Win
[ ] relative numbers
Precision: 4

Optimize
[x] vertex
[x] normals
[x] texture coord

Export!

Okay, export done. Now to convert the .OBJ into .MD3. Use Noesis to do the
conversion.

Import OBJ into Noesis:

All boxes unchecked except Flip UVs

Done!

This post has been edited by Nash: 06 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   Eugeny 

Hello!

Could you recompile plugin on 3d max 2014?

I would be very grateful to you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options