Duke4.net Forums: Weird eDuke32 problem - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird eDuke32 problem  "Error compilin con files"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Post3D Master, on 09 July 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

Wow, you're an idiot, you're a complete blithering moron. Hey, dipshit, that executable is an executable from 2015!!! That's a 2 0 1 5, a FIVE at the end.

You should calm down and stop insulting people who are trying to help you. Forge got a little frustrated with you but then you escalated it by a factor of three. Providing and receiving technical support for obscure problems over the internet is a difficult process, and if we aren't ready to be patient with each other then it shouldn't be undertaken at all.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My favourite part is when he calls the person trying to help him an idiot, when he's the one who can't figure out how to install a mod that literally installs itself for you.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I always find it odd when folks say "I'm done with this conversation", "I'm done helping", etc. and then continue to converse or help. Makes me wonder why they bothered saying it.

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 09 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm going to assume 3D Master finally followed my simple suggestion and has it running with the HRP and was having so much fun he forgot to post here to tell us. :D

I looked back at my previous post and found a minor error. For some reason I posted the file duke3d.exe when I meant eduke32.exe but I figured he was smart enough to realise that.

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

User is offline   3D Master 

View PostMark, on 09 July 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

It tough to do but I'm not going to lash out at your inference that I'm stupid. I gave a very clear, simple suggestion and I see nothing in your posts telling me you tried it. If you had you would be posting a thankyou and that someone should update the HRP installation methods to keep others from having the issues you did. I double checked my instructions before posting. I've re-worded it here to make sure there is no confusion.

The dn3d_hrp54-sfx.zip I downloaded has a folder in it called autoload. Inside autoload are 2 zip files. Unzip the duke3d_hrp.zip file into a new blank folder totally outside of any other duke, Steam, or WT folders. ( Forget the other file with sounds for now. ) Add duke3d.exe and DUKE3D.GRP and you're ready to go

It works simply and fine with eduke32 revisions new and old.

:D

Just to be certain, I did exactly what you asked; got a brand new directory, copied the duke3d.grp in there, put eduke32 in there, put the hrp zip in there; do you know what happens if you start up the game that way? You play it 8-bit sprite mode. No HRP.

The way I got it somewhat to work, was create a new directory in that directory, copied the hrp in there, and then picked that directory as the custom content directory.

Of course, the problem with that approach, is the reason for why the autoload directory was created in the first place; that if there are conflicting packages, eDuke can't tell which to use, or how to use both. Nuclear Winter has its own HRP for example, but it doesn't replace the entirety of the HRP, it only creates Hires stuff of the Nuclear Winter content; so if you place them both in the directory you pick as the custom directory, you might now get Nuclear Winter content in the base game, or the Nuclear Winter content doesn't get loaded when playing Nuclear Winter.

But enabling the autoload means, what's in the autoload directory is the base, and then it gets overwritten by the stuff in the cutom directory; so, even though I can now play the base Duke with HRP content with the newest eduke32, the ultimate problem isn't solved; this is just a stopgap measure.

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 14 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I said "Unzip" the duke3d_hrp.zip file into a new blank folder, not put the zip file there. Maybe you're getting confused because that file is a zip inside a zip file.

For your autoload issue since you insist on wanting to use autoload, open the autoload zip file, and remove the duke3d_hrp.zip file and then resave the autoload.zip

This is all actually easier to do than it is to explain.

And last, I ALWAYS have a separate project folder for each mod or TC. I NEVER combine them. But I'm a minority for that it seems. It puts more shortcuts on my desktop but it saves me from combining issues.

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

View PostBlitZ, on 09 July 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

My favourite part is when he calls the person trying to help him an idiot, when he's the one who can't figure out how to install a mod that literally installs itself for you.

Except of course for that tiny little problem that I can install a mod just fine, there is no problem with the mod, there's a problem with the newest eDuke deciding the first time you start it up, it somehow takes that first startup directory as a global directory and expects everything in that directory to be present in every directory you startup eDuke32 for some reason if you enable the autoload directory. And if anything that was in that directory isn't present the new directory it now tries to compile non-existing con files and gives an error.

Indeed, if you bothered to fucking read, you would find that the mod installer does what I did manually; he tells me I'm doing something wrong, tells me to downlaod an .exe installer which does it right and something different that what I did, yet the installer does EXACTLY why I did.

You see the problem isn't with me; and people "who are trying to help", they aren't, if they did, they'd actually have read what I wrote and note that nothing they were suggesting would a. solve the problem, and b. doesn't even have anything to do with the problem. The problem is with self-absorbed, smug dipshits who want to feel good being condescending to someone with a problem, and except to either try to notice what the problem is, just dump some basic goto nonsense solution that is neither solution to the problem, it isn't even a solution to what they want to solve; and when someone points that out, they go immediately to insults and more condescending bullshit, and when they do that, they get their own shit thrown back at them.

The thing is, if you read through the thread, you'll find they're a bunch of condescending idiots from the start; and I don't even react to it; and despite the fact that I know it won't actually solve the problem, at best it will circumvent the problem temporarily, I actually went to dutifully do what they asked of me, and simply politely answered that that doesn't work; and instead of going, "Oh, well, let's try something else" or perhaps, "Yikes, that's a rather nasty issue", or perhaps, "well, then I don't know the solution," they just increase the insults and the attacks demanding I do the exact same thing all over again, now with extra condescension and insults, including calling me an idiot for having .con files in the directory, when I have no .con files in the directory as evidence from the fist post I wrote, the starting post of this thread; I quote:

if I put it in my previous Duke3D folder, or create a brand new folder with just the duke3d.grp in there,

That's my first post; and he thinks I have .con files in there; THE VERY FIRST POST.

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 14 July 2019 - 06:51 AM

View PostMark, on 14 July 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

I said "Unzip" the duke3d_hrp.zip file into a new blank folder, not put the zip file there. Maybe you're getting confused because that file is a zip inside a zip file.

Have you gone completely mental? And you want to say I'm the one with deprecated way of doing things? That's what you did before eDuke32 even recognized zip files! That's twenty-year-old way of doing stuff that was deprecated when whole adult generations living today were still just children or not even born yet. Zip file support was so you didn't have to clutter your directories with multiple unpacked additional content, and then the autoload directory was added later on to make it even more convenient, and easier to manage between additional mods and your base stuff...

.wad files and .grp files are essentially zip files; they were specifically created so games directories weren't filled with file after and directory after directory of clutter; to keep the directory easy to understand and manage, especially with considering potential mods the engine use in other games.

And you want me to go back to unzipping the zip files... WHAT!?

For your autoload issue since you insist on wanting to use autoload, open the autoload zip file, and remove the duke3d_hrp.zip file and then resave the autoload.zip

WHAT!? When did I say ANYTHING about autoload zip files, WHAT IN THE SEVEN HEAVENS!? You see, this is what I'm talking about with people refusing to fucking read. WHERE!? WHERE IN BLAZING HELLS in any of my posts, did I EVER mention an autoload.zip or an autoload zip file before this one!?

This is all actually easier to do than it is to explain.

Apparently it's a lot more difficult to read.

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 14 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

User is offline   Mark 

YOU HAVE ZIP FILES IN YOUR AUTOLOAD FOLDER = YOU HAVE AUTOLOAD ZIP FILES If you can't figure that out its beyond my patience to teach you.
You have anger management issues. Sorry for triggering you. I too am now done trying to help you.

I may or may not have an old convoluted way of arranging my folders, but you are the one thats having problems. :D

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options