Duke4.net Forums: I'm pretty sure one of my USB ports/devices is failing but I don't know which one - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm pretty sure one of my USB ports/devices is failing but I don't know which one  "And now it's causing boot problems"

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Thread title and desc.

Just yesterday my machine began making the disconnect/reconnect noises non-stop for a period of about 5 minutes. Thing is, I was in-game at the time, and I can confirm that three of my devices were working properly: keyboard, mouse, and speakers (all USB). I even got a "device failed to install" message, followed by a "device successfully installed".

I checked the windows event logs for the time and all I got was an extremely unhelpful "USB Device [long string of random characters] successfully installed".

Then today, when I turned my computer on it stalled at the BIOS screen. I know from past experience that hardware changes make the motherboard pee itself in terror if they happen before boot, so I'm almost certain this is related. Trouble is I don't know what's causing it. I don't have that many USB devices besides those three. I do have a controller in a questionable port, but at least until now physical touch is what's bothered it. That could have changed; whenever it throws a fit seems to be random so it's impossible to reliably test. Worth noting is that both front ports have had issues. The controller is in the one that has had the least amount of issues. The other one has nothing in it because it fails to read damn near anything that goes into it, frequently dropping connection. I would not be surprised if the device that manages both of those is what's failing, but trouble is I don't know how to confirm it nor how to fix it.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 25 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 June 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

Thread title and desc.

Just yesterday my machine began making the disconnect/reconnect noises non-stop for a period of about 5 minutes. Thing is, I was in-game at the time, and I can confirm that three of my devices were working properly: keyboard, mouse, and speakers (all USB). I even got a "device failed to install" message, followed by a "device successfully installed".

I checked the windows event logs for the time and all I got was an extremely unhelpful "USB Device [long string of random characters] successfully installed".

Then today, when I turned my computer on it stalled at the BIOS screen. I know from past experience that hardware changes make the motherboard pee itself in terror if they happen before boot, so I'm almost certain this is related. Trouble is I don't know what's causing it. I don't have that many USB devices besides those three. I do have a controller in a questionable port, but at least until now physical touch is what's bothered it. That could have changed; whenever it throws a fit seems to be random so it's impossible to reliably test. Worth noting is that both front ports have had issues. The controller is in the one that has had the least amount of issues. The other one has nothing in it because it fails to read damn near anything that goes into it, frequently dropping connection. I would not be surprised if the device that manages both of those is what's failing, but trouble is I don't know how to confirm it nor how to fix it.

It could be anything. Including the device your plugging in. Process of elimination will tell you. Typically there are two USB ports per jack. Sometimes if there is a weak connection both ports can be bad when pressure is applied to one input by just having a device connected. Check the pins on the ports by visually checking that they are all present and not shorting out against another. You can see this by looking at the inside of the small connector. If this is a desktop suspect the front USB connections first.I have an ASUS laptop with the same problem. I just avoid using those ports with anything other than a USB mouse which seems to weather the shitty port better than any other device.

Or if you are so inclined you can measure output voltage with a multi meter on each port. However, some times a voltage problem might only occur when a device is physically attached due to stress on connector. Anyway, here is the link for the pin outs and voltage https://en.m.wikiped...y_specification

This post has been edited by Paul B: 26 June 2019 - 02:48 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options