Duke4.net Forums: Build 2 Source Code Released by Ken Silverman - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Build 2 Source Code Released by Ken Silverman

User is offline   TON 

BUILD 2 Source Code Released !!!

Posted Image

Our idol Ken Silverman has released the source code of BUILD 2

Source Code

http://advsys.net/ke...dsrc/build2.htm

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oooooooo nice! That's huge! I'd love to see what people can do with it.

I wish I was better at programming. I have no clue what I'm doing.

EDIT: Ah but this is just the map editor right? This doesn't affect the fact that we can't yet save....or does it? Is that connected more to EVALDRAW?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Amazing ! A feature i've been requesting for Mapster32 for years is to include a Multi User Editing environment and Build 2 natively supports this. That is a really cool feature and probably my favorite along with: Dynamic Shadows & Spotlights, the Skybox support, Native SOS & no Sector / Wall / Sprite limits !! These are all really massive improvements to the engine. The editor looks completely different though and there's probably a significant learning curve compared to the traditional features we got so accustom to using. I wonder if there is a way to blend Build 2 into Mapster32 without having to get away from the traditional mapping experience.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This is great news! Build 2 is certainly a unique engine, and it'd be interesting to see if anyone does anything substantial with it. I also wonder if it's possible to adapt any of the smaller features to eduke32, such as arbitrarily rotating textures on walls and ceilings/floors, and scaling ceiling/floor textures. Having something like a 'second wall' in addition to a sector's first wall would greatly increase terrain capability, flexibility, speed of construction, and reduce the number of walls required. However, I expect that these features are too difficult to implement, otherwise they might have been done already. Either that, or they may have a big impact on performance.

In the meantime, the AMC TC is being ported over to Build 2, which will be used for all future development. Stay tuned!

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Micky C, on 13 June 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

In the meantime, the AMC TC is being ported over to Build 2, which will be used for all future development. Stay tuned!

Well, at least it's not Kex Engine :D

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Lmao

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Soo nice.
Looks very Unreal engine and other non-duke games engine
PS
I think is similar to Doom Engine today, that uses TROR etc

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 14 June 2019 - 01:19 AM

User is offline   Mark 

when I read that I checked my calendar to see if it was April 1st.

• The Sarien Encounter

A year ago when this was first released I was emailing Ken back and forth. One of my questions was if he would consider releasing the source in the future. His reply was:

Perhaps in another 10 years : P

I guess he was speaking in base 2 lol.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

It's a real shame that the rendering is software-only (which means no additional shaders and no stereoscopy) because it looks really cool.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well now that we have the source shouldn't that be possible? Or do we also need the source for Evaldraw?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 July 2019 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Yes, Build2 is an editor only. This source release is just that, build2.exe. Evaldraw is needed for the game environment, maybe with the knowledge gained from this source release that could be bypassed and another "game.exe" could be created.

• The Sarien Encounter

True. Perhaps even coded in regular C/++.

Would it not be possible to add OpenGL support or anything else into Evaldraw given how Build 2 was itself made to compliment Evaldraw?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Evaldraw being closed sourced I can't see a way to add a huge liabary like that through it's own scripting system. It's an entire compiling language called Ken C with its own buit in liabaries for stuff. I couldn't even get 3D sound out of it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

MusicallyInspired, on 14 July 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

Would it not be possible to add OpenGL support or anything else into Evaldraw given how Build 2 was itself made to compliment Evaldraw?

Given the relatively large number of abandoned hardware-accelerated renderers for eduke32, I think we can assume adding one to Build 2 would not be a trivial case.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

One cannot give Ken enough credit for writing a renderer that he actually completed. Polymost was literally Ken's "Tony Stark built this in a cave with a box of scraps" moment. And the world responds "I'm not Ken Silverman".

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 15 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

How realistic is it to see someone create a new environment (possibly powered by CON) and renderer for Build 2? Better yet, incorporate Build 2 compatibility in EDuke32? I know that would require a renderer overhaul and would probably not be worth it. Could EDuke32 be branched and used as a base?

I wish I acclimated to programming as easily as I did to music.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

It would go down more like repeating the steps to get to Eduke32 or acctually JFDuke3D, but minus the Duke3D. There is no game to port, the build2 map format must be available in the source, I haven't looked yet, so theoretically it is very possible now to create an openGL "game.exe" that runs build2 maps, there is a literal svn roadmap in the modern build1 ports, build2 does load build1 maps, it can't be that that different.

added;
Now that I think about it more I'm not too sure any hardware accelerated language would handle the 6 degrees of freedom that Build2 is designed around.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 15 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I just realized since the source is released one could potentially solve the problem of the lack of animated textures and transparency for actual sprites instead of voxels.

I cannot figure out voxels to save my life. I've tried Slab6 and other tools but it's just not as intuitive as I had imagined it would be. I pictured something like a 3D modeler with multiple perspectives except instead of drawing lines you draw pixels. Why isn't there anything like that?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options