Duke4.net Forums: Randy Made A Single Tweet About A Duke Nukem Animated Series - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Randy Made A Single Tweet About A Duke Nukem Animated Series

User is offline   gemeaux333 

best see for yourself :

https://twitter.com/...-nukem-anime%2F

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 10 June 2019 - 02:43 PM
Reason for edit: Thread titles need to be better than "Duke Nukem". Come on.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

oh boy i cant wait for nothing to come of this

Another example of Gearbox / Pitchford wanting Duke to find success elsewhere before investing in a game when it should be the other way around.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yep.

This is the equivalant of trying to sell hats and t-shirts before you have an actual franchise.

As far as Duke is concerned he's at square one.

so Randy is now an anime villain?

User is offline   Outtagum 

Posted Image

For me it would actually be some good fan-service... far better than something like selling Tifa's underwear from FF7 !

well, that doesn't sound too bad to me!

KONO DUKU DA
Posted Image

sorry, i just had to do it. (god has abandoned me.)

Heh, why not? I am still of the opinion that if given free rein, H. Jon Benjamin would make a great Duke Nukem.

Battleborn anime sounds rad.

if by rad you mean dying from radiation poisoning...

Omae mou shindeiru.

Posted Image

So, how does it will look like?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, there are plenty of animation styles we can choose from, as long as it value Duke himself !

I want to see a BoJack Horseman type of cartoon where Duke Nukem is portrayed as a neurotic washed-up action movie star - the video games where he starred in being all reimagined as action movies - struggling to make a living in Hollywood.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 09 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 09 June 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

I want to see a BoJack Horseman type of cartoon where Duke Nukem is portrayed as a neurotic washed-up action movie star - the video games where he starred in being all reimagined as action movies - struggling to make a living in Hollywood.

I hope you're joking. This would deminish the character, and turn him into a bigger joke than DNF. Duke needs to ve allowed to be Duke, anything less is just disrespectful to the character.

User is offline   Sanek 

It's not the worst thing that could happen to Duke. We all want Duke's image (in all forms of media) to be that canon image that was established in his pre-DNF days. However, I doubt that they'll allow it, especially when it comes to representation of women in Duke's universe. Imagine the scene when the girl in distress refuses to have sex with our hero - hardly realistic, but an apparent bow to overly sensitive pressure groups that had grown today.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 09 June 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

I hope you're joking. This would deminish the character, and turn him into a bigger joke than DNF. Duke needs to ve allowed to be Duke, anything less is just disrespectful to the character.

"Duke needs to be allowed to be Duke"... what does that even mean? Duke Nukem has been plenty of things throughout the years, from a generic 90s action hero (Duke Nukem I and II) to a Bruce Campbell wannabe (Duke Nukem 3D) to a narcissistic douchebag (Duke Nukem Forever) to... whatever he is supposed to be in Bulletstorm: Duke of Switch Edition; the only thing that has been consistent in his portrayal is his haircut and his clothes. I mean, it is like saying that the MachineGames Wolfenstein games are disrespectful to BJ Blazkowicz because they portray him as fallible and introspective.

View PostSanek, on 09 June 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Imagine the scene when the girl in distress refuses to have sex with our hero - hardly realistic, but an apparent bow to overly sensitive pressure groups that had grown today.

I would say it is the opposite, actually: why would a girl want to have sex with some random guy she does not even know, all because he happened to be the one to rescue her? Realistically speaking, if I were in her position, the first things I would want is to get home safe, take a shower and be given some time to process the fact that I have just been abducted by creepy aliens. Oh, and I would probably want to get myself checked as soon as possible by a EDF doctor or scientist to make sure I did not get some nasty alien disease while I was in their custody...

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 09 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostSanek, on 09 June 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

It's not the worst thing that could happen to Duke.

That would be being bought by Gearbox. Oh wait, we truly live in the darkest timeline :D

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 09 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 09 June 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

"Duke needs to be allowed to be Duke"... what does that even mean? Duke Nukem has been plenty of things throughout the years, from a generic 90s action hero (Duke Nukem I and II) to a Bruce Campbell wannabe (Duke Nukem 3D) to a narcissistic douchebag (Duke Nukem Forever) to... whatever he is supposed to be in Bulletstorm: Duke of Switch Edition

Duke 3D, Zero Hour, Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Manhattan Project, and early DNF all had the same Duke. Duke's at his best when he's an 80's action hero type, saving babes and kicking ass, while saying one liners.

I disagree. I mean, I guess you could sort of get away with it in video games of the 90s-2000s, especially those that were rather lacking in terms of storytelling, but in an animated series, it would make for an extremely shallow and boring protagonist that always stays the same a la He-Man (minus the queer subtext and the unintentional comedy).

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 10 June 2019 - 04:24 AM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 10 June 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

I disagree. I mean, I guess you could sort of get away with it in video games of the 90s-2000s, especially those that were rather lacking in terms of storytelling, but in an animated series, it would make for an extremely shallow and boring protagonist that always stays the same a la He-Man (minus the queer subtext and the unintentional comedy).

Then what's the point? it would be Duke Nukem only in name.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 10 June 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

That. That right there is the mentality that has ruined the chances of any kind of Duke Nukem adaptation. Movie, show, book, or even video game sequel/reboot. The idea that Duke worked in a 90's game but not in a show/movie because of his personality is stupid. There are places a talented writer could take Duke, without taking away from his character or changing his character to something that wasn't him. It'd be like making a Batman show, but Bruce Wayne is a washed up actor who played superheroes. It doesn't work. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire who spends his nights dressed as a bat, beating up criminals. Duke is an alien/mutant ass kicker who says one liners, while saving babes. It's not that difficult to understand. There's no need to attempt to reinvent him, or make him PC. Anything less that badass 80's action hero type Duke, just isn't Duke.

John St John have an idea of how to make Duke fit present days, more actual :

binding him to a politically correct sidekick, Duke won't change WTFsoever but will just get pissed of, and in the end the sidekick have become like Duke by being at his contact

• Judge Mental

No.

Duke Nukem cartoon, likely to be bad, but I'd be happy to see it given a try. Much like the previously rumored Duke movie with Cena. A good Duke game would be the dream, but I'm cool with tie-in ideas.

View Postcancerstick, on 09 June 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

"Duke needs to be allowed to be Duke"... what does that even mean?

Posted Image

...from a generic 90s action hero (Duke Nukem I and II)

Posted Image

to a Bruce Campbell wannabe (Duke Nukem 3D)

Posted Image
Bruce Campbell is an Elvis wannabe.

to a narcissistic douchebag (Duke Nukem Forever)

DNF Duke is a literal cuck letting the twins get impregnated by aliens, is repeatedly knocked on his ass, gets drunk off one beer, and had women writing the words in his mouth.

the only thing that has been consistent in his portrayal is

I would say it is the opposite, actually: why would a girl want to have sex with some random guy she does not even know

Ask the avalanche of ones who do exactly that and cool it with the slut shaming, ELIZA.

...all because he happened to be the one to rescue her? Realistically speaking, if I were in her position, the first things I would want is to get home safe, take a shower and be given some time to process the fact that I have just been abducted by creepy aliens.

Realistically speaking you talk like a fig that hasn't processed why 50 Shades made so much money.

Oh, and I would probably want to get myself checked as soon as possible by a EDF doctor or scientist to make sure I did not get some nasty alien disease while I was in their custody...

You're already a cancer vector, why worry about the rest?

This post has been edited by WorkWandaWork: 10 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

In all seriousness... NegaDuke is the 90's homage Duke.
Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

Is this man aware of what he has done to this franchise? Embarrassing, level 11. :D

• Judge Mental

View PostWorkWandaWork, on 10 June 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

In all seriousness... NegaDuke is the 90's homage Duke.
Posted Image

NegaDuke whom I always had the suspicious was used as the basis for "Cam Nash" in Extraction Point Alien Shootout before that was finally completely canned.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 10 June 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

That. That right there is the mentality that has ruined the chances of any kind of Duke Nukem adaptation.

And thanks heaven for that. When it comes to a Duke Nukem adaptation, I am 100% with Bruce Campbell when he dissed 3D Realms.

It'd be like making a Batman show, but Bruce Wayne is a washed up actor who played superheroes.

It has been done before: it is called Birdman and it won Oscars. So I would watch that. :)

Besides, Batman has been reinterpreted and reimagined a bazillion times already, from Adam West's campy kid-friendly mascot to Tim Burton's socially awkward weirdo to Batman: The Animated Series' sexy James Bond-esque figure to Frank Miller's psychopathic vigilante to Mark Miller's anarchist/antifascist freedom fighter to Batman Beyond's Spiderman wannabe to a fucking LEGO character of all things.

There's no need to attempt to reinvent him, or make him PC.

I never much cared for Apple products, so I am very much fine if Duke Nukem goes back to being a PC franchise. :D

Joking aside, as I said in another topic some time ago, I do not get why people refer to Duke Nukem as "politically incorrect" in the first place, as all he does is make pop culture references and objectify women. Not just that, but he does not use slurs beyond the occasional "fuck" or "shit" nor does he do anything to challenge the statu quo.... That is some incredibly mainstream shit there; back in the 90s, that sort of character was pretty much the norm - and still is, it seems. So the idea that doing anything less than that would somehow make Duke Nukem "politically correct" is just simply laughable to me.

I would also add that Duke Nukem never seems to be fighting regular humans, only robots and aliens. Remove the occasional swear words, the random sexual content and change the aliens' blood to any other colour than red and Duke Nukem could have easily been made into a 90s saturday morning cartoon for kids. That is how "edgy" the character is!

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 11 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options