Duke4.net Forums: TekWarGDX Port - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TekWarGDX Port

User is offline   Avenger 

Does anyone have the old TekWarGDX solo port?

Since this is being done in java for reasons unknown and I won't be using it for any other game, plus the in game music was working on that port a year ago and apparently isn't supported on the all encompasing build version, it's a far better solution for my use case.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 31 May 2019 - 03:34 AM

No one?????????

User is offline   fgsfds 

I wouldn't recommend using pre-BuildGDX versions. They lack cutscenes support and some other features.

Music should work in BGDX. You sure you selected midi driver in the launcher settings?

View Postfgsfds, on 03 June 2019 - 04:29 AM, said:

I wouldn't recommend using pre-BuildGDX versions. They lack cutscenes support and some other features.

Music should work in BGDX. You sure you selected midi driver in the launcher settings?

What is the naming scheme for the music tracks supposed to be? What file format does the music need to be converted to?

Does a MIDI driver need to be used? Currently when I select "MIDI” under the audio options I receive an "initialization failed" message...

The reason I would prefer just the TekWar solo port is because I won't be utilizing BuildGDX for any other game since I already have alternate ports for them, so between having to install an unnecessary java library plus all the additional files in the launcher for games that I won't be using, I end up with a ton of wasted storage space to just place launch one game...

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Then use DOSBox, it runs the game pretty well. M210 did a good job with TekwarGDX, but I remember earlier versions where very inaccurate: the subway's security checkpoints didn't work, there were lots of misaligned textures, etc.

User is online   Phredreeke 

I believe BuildGDX on its own is around 15mb and will run on your system’s Java install (which you’d need for TekWarGDX as well)

If launcher bothers you you can extract it in the same directory as TekWar and it should auto detect and switch to portable mode.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostAvenger, on 04 June 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

What is the naming scheme for the music tracks supposed to be? What file format does the music need to be converted to?

You don't have to convert anything for MIDI music. CD music is currently not supported.

For MIDI you need to select MIDI driver in the launcher. Gervill should work, but if it doesn't, try the rest.
Attached File  Screenshot (6).png (99.06K)
Number of downloads: 20

View PostAvenger, on 04 June 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

The reason I would prefer just the TekWar solo port is because I won't be utilizing BuildGDX for any other game since I already have alternate ports for them, so between having to install an unnecessary java library plus all the additional files in the launcher for games that I won't be using, I end up with a ton of wasted storage space to just place launch one game...

You don't have to install anything extra compared to standalone port.

Yeah he seems to miss that the reason for the Java runtime being bundled was that people were complaining about having to install Java...

View Postfgsfds, on 04 June 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

You don't have to convert anything for MIDI music. CD music is currently not supported.

For MIDI you need to select MIDI driver in the launcher. Gervill should work, but if it doesn't, try the rest.
Attachment Screenshot (6).png

You don't have to install anything extra compared to standalone port.

That took care of it.

Thank you.

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 June 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Yeah he seems to miss that the reason for the Java runtime being bundled was that people were complaining about having to install Java...

I grabbed the Java Portable Launcher so it's at least bearable now.

It's not that it was missed but rather wondering why the odd choice to build around java instead coding in a C variant for example.

Because that is the language M210 is proficient with.

User is offline   VGA 

M210 wanted to use Java and the libGDX framework.

View PostMidKnight91939, on 19 March 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Need help playing the cutscenes. Is there any way I can add them in?

Yeah. In your Tekwar data folder, paste the "SMK" folder from your CD-ROM and you're good to go. :-)

The folder is typically located at: <CDROM Drive Letter>:\TEKWAR\

Just copy the SMK folder from that directory location directly to your Tekwar Data folder.

This post has been edited by jkammueller: 28 August 2021 - 07:05 PM

Man, we need an EDuke32 build for TekWar.

Java is cancer and the most recent version of DOSBox still has an audio issue during the cutscenes and obviously no native mouselook support.

Sirlemonhead and Fix were working on the Capstone titles. I don't know what the current state of ETekwar/EWhaven is though.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Current ETekwar builds crash at startup (r12544). The last revision I've tried was unplayable (r11734). No noteworthy changes have been made to the ETekWar-specific sources since then, anyway. Loong way to go, I suppose.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 02 September 2021 - 10:14 AM

I asked Fix and he says he never worked on Tekwar.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Staying semi-off-topic: I have built JonoF's sources of JFTekWar/JFWHaven (on which ETekWar/EWitchaven are based), and they seem kind of "playable".
If you wanna check'em out, click here. (No support)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 04 September 2021 - 12:21 PM

View PostLeoD, on 04 September 2021 - 12:20 PM, said:

Staying semi-off-topic: I have built JonoF's sources of JFTekWar/JFWHaven (on which ETekWar/EWitchaven are based), and they seem kind of "playable".
If you wanna check'em out, click here. (No support)

What does "kinda playable" mean?

What's missing or broken?

"Kinda playable" is a fitting description of the Capstone games in general

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 September 2021 - 06:44 PM, said:

"Kinda playable" is a fitting description of the Capstone games in general

Same could be said about a lot of DOS era games in general.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options