Duke4.net Forums: Unable to use windowed mode - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unable to use windowed mode

User is offline   SonicB00M 

I am playing on a 60Hz Full HD Plasma TV and I never figured out a proper way to use eDuke32 or other build engine source ports like SW Redux and RedneckGDX without screen tearing or horrible input lag. The closest I got with the latter two was using a tool called 'Game Companion' and setting the in game resolution to 1920×1080 windowed (unlocked framerate). That would get rid of the window border and the game would run buttery smooth without screen tearing or input lag. However eDuke32 (and Ion Maiden for that matter) appear to be more stubborn. Choosing my native screen resolution doesn't seem to work as I don't see a window border and the screen tearing persists. Selecting a lower resolution however gives me a proper window and the game doesn't lag nor exhibits screen tearing. Is there a way to get a proper windowed eDuke32 to run in a native resolution? Using r7657 btw. I see that other Ion Maiden players have a similar problem when using 60Hz TVs.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

You could try my non-SDL build to get 'improperly windowed EDuke32' at full resolution.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 19 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

Damn, that's looking good! Thanks for that! Any chance at getting this to work with Ion Maiden? <_<

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSonicB00M, on 19 May 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Damn, that's looking good! Thanks for that! Any chance at getting this to work with Ion Maiden? <_<
If it's built from the same source repo: most definitely. There may be additional compile parameters I'm not aware of, though.

So there doesn't appear to be a change in the latest eDuke32 builds and it's clear to me that windowed or borderless windowed is not possible when you are using your screen's native resolution. Tried on two different systems with two different monitors which both have different native resolutions (1920*1080 and 1680*1050) and whenver I pick the native resolution the game switches to exclusive fullscreen. Did some digging and it seems that the issue was introduced in r7238 (r7187 works just fine) and I guess this change is responsible:

r7204 | terminx | 2018-11-18 10:11:38 -0800 (Sun, 18 Nov 2018) | 1 line

sdlayer: pass SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to SDL_SetWindowFullscreen() when setting a windowed mode that matches the desktop resolution

Could you please look into this and enable an option to use true windowed mode? It would help a great deal to enjoy eDuke32 and Ion Fury for that matter. IF comes out in a couple of days and it would certainly put a damper on my excitement if I have to play it with screen tearing, bad frame pacing or laggy mouse aim.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostLeoD, on 19 May 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

You could try my non-SDL build to get 'improperly windowed EDuke32' at full resolution.

Dude WHO ARE YOU???? :dukecigar: This is ultra smooth, I've never seen EDuke32 run this well on my system.

Hire this man and then run him for president.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Finally a clue! :dukecigar:
Maybe a new build could be done with latest code to see if your issues are all just SDL related ?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSonicB00M, on 11 August 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

Did some digging and it seems that the issue was introduced in r7238 (r7187 works just fine) and I guess this change is responsible
Check out these builds to check if your guess is right...

View PostZaxx, on 11 August 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Hire this man and then run him for president.
It's just a semi-deprecated compile parameter... I'm not into golf, twitter, or bragging about crowd sizes or TV ratings - what would I be supposed to do all day?

View Postoasiz, on 12 August 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

Finally a clue! :dukecigar:
Maybe a new build could be done with latest code to see if your issues are all just SDL related ?
Here you go. Would be nice if RENDERTYPE=WIN would build again without reverting r7907. And someone should care about all the winlayer.cpp compiler warnings:
Spoiler
Oops, can't post them...

This post has been edited by LeoD: 12 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Put them in between code tags so it doesn't complain about emoticons.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostStriker, on 12 August 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

Put them in between code tags so it doesn't complain about emoticons.
I did.
But the term "Insert code snippet" is misleading since the resulting HTML is just "<pre class='prettyprint'>".

View PostLeoD, on 12 August 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

Check out these builds to check if your guess is right...

Yup, exactly what I think it was.

eduke64-bisect-7203.exe = runs perfectly fine in windowed mode while using a native resolution
eduke64-bisect-7204.exe = doesn't allow windowed mode in native res
eduke64-bisect-7955-revert-7204.exe = runs perfectly fine in windowed mode while using a native resolution

Can any of the EDuke32 devs comment on this? This doesn't seem to be the intended result to me.

EDuke32 r8020 behaves correctly. Thank you!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options