Duke4.net Forums: smartphone noob with question - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

smartphone noob with question

User is offline   Mark 

I wasn't sure how to phrase this question in order to do a Google search on it.
I just inherited a smartphone after my dad died. This is my first real cellphone other than an ancient flip phone I kept around only for dialing 911.
The monthly plan on on this new phone includes texting and data but in minimal amounts and way more talking minutes than I'll ever use (200-300 I forgot which). In order to save 8 dollars a month I was thinking about dropping the texting and data since my only use for a phone is for emergency or other very important calls.

My worry is if I get rid of the data part and I accidently use an app that requires internet access will I get charges for an overage or will the phone's software not allow any internet access unless I'm on Wi-Fi?

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Call your service provider they can probably set up a data block and you will never ever have charges, or just be sure to turn off cellular data in the phone settings.

Better yet just smash the damn thing. You've gone this long without it, you do not need it.

User is offline   Mark 

For many years I had ham radio equipment in my car and there was almost always someone within reach to make a call during an emergency. Thats not the case these days so I still want to be able to call 911 or a tow truck company if I break down. Other than that I just shake my head at all the goofs that would "just die" if they didn't have that phone.

I'll look around for the settings you mentioned.

edit: That was easy, I found the box to check.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

You should learn how to check the data usage on your phone and I would disable background data, apps and os's will use data if they get access to it so it's a good idea to know what's going on here.

User is offline   Mark 

I found that data usage right away. It was at something small like 5MB or so. The plan has 100MB.
I also discovered that email doesn't work thru Wi-Fi.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I pay $15 a month for 2 GB of data, unlimited texting, and 500 minutes of calling. Very good value IMO. Your plan sounds rubbish Posted Image

It's weird that the email doesn't work through wifi, I don't see why that would be the case. Just to be sure, the internet is working with other things?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 May 2019 - 05:11 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 13 May 2019 - 05:10 AM, said:

I pay $15 a month for 2 GB of data, unlimited texting, and 500 minutes of calling. Very good value IMO. Your plan sounds rubbish Posted Image

I pay $20 a month for 6Gb and free social media, your plan sounds rubbish to me <_<
Although I've been client for about 5 years, so they are giving me the double of GB (3Gbx2)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMike Norvak, on 13 May 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

I pay $20 a month for 6Gb and free social media, your plan sounds rubbish to me <_<

I pay 0$ for 0Gb, and nobody can find me to bother me if I'm not in the house. Your plan sounds like rubbish to me :)

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMicky C, on 13 May 2019 - 05:10 AM, said:

It's weird that the email doesn't work through wifi, I don't see why that would be the case. Just to be sure, the internet is working with other things?

Is that a single phone plan or part of a package deal? Did you enter with your own phone or did you have to buy one from the provider?

Yeah, internet was working thru wifi. I could access google and duke4 but not my regular email account which I did access thru phone data usage. AH, the email app is part of the phone's original software. Maybe thats why it requires cell data. They want my money.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostPhotonic, on 11 May 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

Better yet just smash the damn thing. You've gone this long without it, you do not need it.

THIS

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMike Norvak, on 13 May 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

Although I've been client for about 5 years, so they are giving me the double of GB (3Gbx2)

I never use anywhere near the 2GB, which means I'm saving $60 a year compared to you. Your plan sounds rubbish to me.

View PostForge, on 13 May 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

I pay 0$ for 0Gb, and nobody can find me to bother me if I'm not in the house. Your plan sounds like rubbish to me :)

I get infinitely more data, text and calls.

View PostMark, on 13 May 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Is that a single phone plan or part of a package deal? Did you enter with your own phone or did you have to buy one from the provider?

Yeah, internet was working thru wifi. I could access google and duke4 but not my regular email account which I did access thru phone data usage. AH, the email app is part of the phone's original software. Maybe thats why it requires cell data. They want my money.

It's with my own phone. It's not a plan, it's prepaid, but it automatically renews every 30 days until you opt out.

Btw, sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 May 2019 - 05:32 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 14 May 2019 - 05:31 AM, said:

I get infinitely more data, text and calls.

infinity times zero is still zero
maths is hard

but as for your intent, I still take my deal as a win.

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options