• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood: Fresh Supply

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostNightFright, on 04 December 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

I think by now we all know that we should stay away from FS. Especially if even its author tells you to do do.

I meant just for laughs.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I think by now we all know that we should stay away from FS. Especially if even its author tells you to do do.

Or maybe people shouldn't take quotes out of their original context?

Anyway I know that shitting on everything that's not a fanmade port is kind of the norm here but as someone who values stuff like aiming accuracy, consistent framepacing and whatnot I think that FS is certainly the most functional version of the game... it's just also the most inaccurate and the most buggy. It's still the version of my choice even in that state simply because I don't have time to scour the Discord for an up to date and working version of NBlood and BloodGDX is not giving me consistent performance as of late for whatever reason.

So I dunno, I guess that it sucks that FS is a failure because it got released in a piss poor state and before it could have been properly polished up Atari pulled the support plug too so we're fucked... and that's sad because it seems like that meanwhile the fanmade ports just stopped making progress. I'd love to shit on FS but honestly that's just old news at this point and I'm much more interested in stuff like what's up with nmapedit? Is it dead?

User is online   Phredreeke 

Apologies for finding it funny to bring up Fresh Supply failing at running user maps :lol:

the fanmade ports just stopped making progress.

Nah, there has been tons of progress on NBlood since the last release on NukeYKT's site, shade interpolation (granted it's less impactful here than in Duke3D thanks to Blood having a larger number of shades in its lookup tables) and Polymost sky rendering comes to mind, and M210 recently added the classic renderer to BuildGDX.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Even the latest zip of NBlood that was posted on this site is still more functional than FS. What are you smoking mate.

User is offline   Master O 

So glad I purchased One Unit Whole Blood from GOG before FS replaced it there...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 04 December 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

Even the latest zip of NBlood that was posted on this site is still more functional than FS. What are you smoking mate.

Gotta check it out sometimes, I always have something weird going on with NBlood, the last release I've tried was just crashing when loading a save for example. At this point I just want something like the synthesis is for EDuke32 to be in place for NBlood because I simply have no idea where to look for a working release sadly. :lol: I'm out of the loop I guess.

And sure, it's a lot more accurate than FS is but I dunno, I can't wrap my head around why but NBlood feels a bit "off" to me compared to DOS. I dunno what it is but it's the damage values, the AI or I have no idea, "something" so I'm kinda like "well, the base game works just fine with FS too and NBlood feels a bit off so who cares, FS is piss easy to install." :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Anyway new releases kinda started sucking again. For example I'm playing Halo Reach now and the PC port has the sound quality Blood FS had before people figured out how to fix it. :lol: Apart from that the port is fine and the game is of course a pretty great FPS but man, how can Microsoft ship a game with sound this bad??? So now I'd love to continue the campaign but I'll have to wait for the patch instead because I just can't stand listening to the damn thing anymore.

And when it comes to FS most things are just worse than how they seem. :) Kaiser is still working on it, eventually there will be a patch too with the necessary fixes and fallbacks to Build (for example Build's collision will be reimplemented so that the movement won't feel off) but now they're saying that for example a proper 16:9 aspect ratio HUD (something that BloodGDX and NBlood both support out of the box) will be very hard to do because they are just using the original code for it from Blood so getting the minimal HUD to the two sides of the screen is just impossible. Who does that for a supposedly modern remaster? They didn't think that people would prefer a properly positioned and scaled widescreen HUD when every single other port is doing just that? You don't make the fucking gameplay accurate but you 100% accurately recreate the fucking HUD that nobody wants? Fuck.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

View PostZaxx, on 05 December 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

Anyway new releases kinda started sucking again. For example I'm playing Halo Reach now and the PC port has the sound quality Blood FS had before people figured out how to fix it. :lol: Apart from that the port is fine and the game is of course a pretty great FPS but man, how can Microsoft ship a game with sound this bad??? So now I'd love to continue the campaign but I'll have to wait for the patch instead because I just can't stand listening to the damn thing anymore.

343i admitted a fix for the terrible audio is not easily done and may therefore be months of. The problem is very noticable and completely ruins the experience. Many first time players will think 'Wow, Halo's combat feels so weak!'. At this point I hope that somebody from the community manages to at least mod the weapon sounds...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 04 December 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

Mostly corporate cock these days for him.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

If it resulted in a fully authentic modern Blood source port I'd take one for the team.

User is offline   GemaH 

So... What's the status of FS today?

What's the best way to play Blood nowadays? Something accurate enough but with additions for modern machines.

I tried NBlood but it completely lacks gamepad support. Is there anything else i could try?

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostGemaH, on 05 July 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

So... What's the status of FS today?

What's the best way to play Blood nowadays? Something accurate enough but with additions for modern machines.

I tried NBlood but it completely lacks gamepad support. Is there anything else i could try?

FS is still shit, no updates have been released. So forget about that ever being updated again. Atari does not care about it anymore.

Try Raze or BuildGDX.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Raze, BuildGDX and NBlood are more accurate than FS will ever be. And as far as I remember, both Raze and BuildGDX support gamepads.

FS is dead at this point, it's over.

User is offline   GemaH 

View PostDzierzan, on 06 July 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

Raze, BuildGDX and NBlood are more accurate than FS will ever be. And as far as I remember, both Raze and BuildGDX support gamepads.

FS is dead at this point, it's over.

I'm trying out Raze with GOG's One Unit Whole Blood files. Gamepad works great and the game runs very smooth at 240hz/fps.

I have no experience with Blood, i never actually played it in the past so i have no idea how close it is to the original. But i avoided FS anyway.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Raze seems so oddly smooth (in a good way) compared to every other port.

User is offline   GemaH 

View PostJesus Christ, on 06 July 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

Raze seems so oddly smooth (in a good way) compared to every other port.

It is very smooth but i'm getting mini-freezes/big stutters sometimes when something new happens or before the character wants to talk.

User is offline   axl 

View PostGemaH, on 07 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

It is very smooth but i'm getting mini-freezes/big stutters sometimes when something new happens or before the character wants to talk.

Then you should report your issue to the developers : https://forum.zdoom....forum.php?f=340

View PostMaster O, on 04 December 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

So glad I purchased One Unit Whole Blood from GOG before FS replaced it there...

Same. One Unit Whole Blood is the best!

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options