Duke4.net Forums: Blood: Fresh Supply - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood: Fresh Supply

User is offline   Skumball 

So what are your thoughts on this new release? I tried it and personally I don't see a reason to move away from BloodGDX. Does anyone know of any advantages for this version? Did they recreate Blood much like m210 did but only added a fancy weapon wheel and auto crouch (not required IMO)? m210 I'd love to hear your thoughts on this version.

User is offline   m210® 

I almost didn't play it, but I can say, that it's very buggy and inaccurate.
Death WIsh addon crashes before it starts, API switch changing doesn't work without Ctrl+Alt+Del, OpenGL gave me 10fps xD while Direct3D works better, but it's always locked at 60fps.
Blood's tiles in the air, wrong dynamite's explosion sprites, There is doesn't support original movie format, it uses own format (ogv), I guess DW is launching without movies, because of different format.
I need more time to play before I can give a more fully answer

This post has been edited by m210®: 09 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

User is offline   pagb666 

The more I play, the more it makes me roll my eyes. To say it's inaccurate is an understatement, it's like saying a WoW private server is inaccurate.

User is offline   Ishmaeel 

Doesn't have GDX's autosave and save preview features. Changing resolution seems to hang the game with a black screen until you do a ctrl-alt-del. Reverted by itself to 320x200 for no reason (just once so far).

I didn't hate it though.

Real 3D aiming is inaccurate but arguably feels better compared to vanilla. 60FPS lock is an unfair criticism, because there are dedicated settings in the menu for that.

That said, at the moment, there is no real reason to pick it over GDX except for...

(this is where I betray the casual noob in me)

...cheevos!

User is offline   m210® 

View PostIshmaeel, on 10 May 2019 - 12:07 AM, said:

60FPS lock is an unfair criticism, because there are dedicated settings in the menu for that.

Do you really think that I didn't see the option, which is located the line below in the menu?

View Postm210®, on 10 May 2019 - 12:34 AM, said:

Do you really think that I didn't see the option, which is located the line below in the menu?

Well, didn't mean to sound adversarial, it's just that the settings didn't seem to not work for me, because my game was not locked at 60FPS -- I was able to make use of the said option.

I also didn't memorize the menu layout so I didn't realize the two options are next to each other while typing that. So it wasn't meant as an insult at your attention either.

Anyway, sorry if it came across as dickish, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say that GDX is currently my favorite project in the whole wide world and I really appreciate the work that went into it. Thanks.

View Postm210®, on 09 May 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

Blood's tiles in the air

Yes I noticed this and a few other things, like Cryptic Passage requiring a restart whereas GDX handles it directly from the episode selector. I do like the port and I noticed one improvement; the transition from lower to upper stack is seamless. Try it by jumping in and out of the coffin at the very start. I don't know whether the KEX engine is true 3D or they did some programming magic to make this look good, but I am very impressed by that.

This post has been edited by Skumball: 10 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

What is the "disable run glitch" thing in the options? <_< It makes the viewbobbing behave like in v. 1.0. As far as I know that wasn't a glitch, it was reduced in later versions since the bobbing was a bit too exaggerated.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If Nightdive is doing Dark Forces next, I will be able to forgive them for this.

Personally I will definitely stick to BloodGDX. The game runs smooth, configuration is easy, mod support is excellent and hard to beat... for me that's how Blood should be played on modern systems these days.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostNightFright, on 10 May 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

If Nightdive is doing Dark Forces next, I will be able to forgive them for this.

if they put in this kind of effort for DF though...

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Kaiser Blood feels incredibly rushed, so I wouldn't worry about Dark Forces since it's not as "hyped" as Blood anyway, there is no reason to rush it. Though I'd like someone competent to bring NOLF and Powerslave (all versions, including Build). I want to believe that they're still trying to get their hands on both, though I can see them rushing NOLF like they did Blood (but then again, Turok was fine and is considered more popular I guess?). Also would be nice if they did Dark Forces 2. Last time I tried it was a bitch to run.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 10 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSledgehammer, on 10 May 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Kaiser Blood feels incredibly rushed

I wouldn't use the word rushed because BloodEX was clearly in development for a long-long time but it seriously lacks polish. Seems like a classic case of "we didn't have money for proper QA so the players will beta test" honestly.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wait, is it confirmed that they're going to be doing Dark Forces too for real?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

There were rumors in January, I think they brought it up on Twitter or something and got very positive reactions. Not sure if Disney representatives reacted to it so far, but it would be a nice opportunity to resurrect a classic Star Wars game that would certainly deserve some attention again.

The main things I expect from a DF port are actually modest: Highres support, some optional eye candy effects like brightmaps or bloom and - quite important - a save/quicksave option. Those levels were so huge, you can't force players these days to play through a whole level in one session before your game is saved. I know it increased the challenge and suspense, but it also made it feel like a chore to some degree.

I wished Dark XL had not been abandoned, it was on a good path. However, if the choice is between a half-finished port with lots of bling-bling and a finished one that covers just the bare necessities... Guess I'd still go for the latter.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

User is offline   mwnn 

Wasn't the source code to NOLF & NOLF2 released some years ago?
I'm surprised that no one has done anything with it - unless I'm mistaken and it's incomplete or something...

https://github.com/v...on/theoperative
https://github.com/w...lives-forever-2

I'd like to see Dark Forces get some attention too. DarkXL stalled/died.

I believe there was/is some kind of effort centralized around here but based off an older version:
https://github.com/Mindwerks/XLEngine
https://travis-ci.or...dwerks/XLEngine
https://forum.openmw....php?f=4&t=5073

This post has been edited by mwnn: 10 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

User is offline   Avoozl 

But what of Jace Hall? He originally wanted to bring the game back before Nightdive.

User is offline   Avoozl 

I wish Outlaws could get a remake/remaster next.

View PostAvoozl, on 11 May 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

But what of Jace Hall? He originally wanted to bring the game back before Nightdive.

Do we know if Jace Hall has the full final source code or just access to the Alpha like other people?

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostSkumball, on 11 May 2019 - 02:36 AM, said:

Do we know if Jace Hall has the full final source code or just access to the Alpha like other people?

Claimed to have the full source, but I guess he did not get the rights from Atari/WB. Atleast Blood is finally getting some kind of attention.

User is offline   J432 

Just cash grab with minimum features for modern port and I'm not surprised because all Nightdive ports are similar. But I like DS4 support - I tried GOG version and it properly detected and supported gamepad even without Xinput wrappers - a feature that I would welcome in BuildGDX too.

This post has been edited by J432: 11 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

User is offline   malvado 

It's awful. Not Blood, just an imposter.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Another review:
http://slipgatecompl...ply-review.html

User is offline   such 

View Postmwnn, on 10 May 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

I'd like to see Dark Forces get some attention too. DarkXL stalled/died.

I believe there was/is some kind of effort centralized around here but based off an older version:
https://github.com/Mindwerks/XLEngine
https://travis-ci.or...dwerks/XLEngine
https://forum.openmw....php?f=4&t=5073

I seem to recall the creator polling the community at some point where they'd like a DOOM port thrown in along with Dark Forces, Outlaws, Blood, Daggerfall and whatever else he was set on doing at that point. Daggerfall alone would've been a monumental undertaking for a single-dev project, but with everything else happening simultaneously... Let's just say it didn't come off as a huge surprise when Lucius disappeared.

Sad to see the pretty much complete lack of criticism (by which I don't mean negativity) in the context of Fresh Supply. Can't see the publisher spending a dime to develop it much further if this keeps up.

View PostFantinaikos, on 11 May 2019 - 04:53 AM, said:

Gggmanlives dropped the ball on this one - it seems not as surprising as it might've been otherwise (Ubisoft-funded trips, Anthem drama etc), but then again I doubt Night Dive has the muscle to 'ensure' positive coverage, or that Atari cares enough to do likewise. Which is probably worse, because that'd mean he's legitimately unqualified. Waiting on Civvie to do it right.

All that said, it is a testament to the community that the open source ports are so much better. More so than a knock against Night Dive's developer. Not an easy task to reverse engineer anything, but perhaps profit isn't always quite as good a motivator. So that's not bad.

User is offline   Avoozl 

Daggerfall currently has a Unity remake simply named Daggerfall Unity, it's still being worked on but it has achieved so much so far.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 11 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   axl 

I played through the entire first episode. Here are some pro's and contra's :

PRO

- Runs smooth
- The new voxels look great
- Ambient occlusion looks fresh
- Multiplayer

CONTRA

- Gameplay is all over the place... there are many inaccuracies
- No widescreen HUD
- No kill count or secret count
- ... it's just not Blood...

Conclusion: this is more like a "revision" or "remake" of Blood. No reason to prefer this above BloodGDX or NBlood... Also seems to be the general idea at the Altar of Stone Forums : https://www.altarofs...ic.php?f=7&t=68

This post has been edited by axl: 11 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Friend posted another video of his experience:

He pretty much thinks it's shit. Not just because of the graphical glitches, but everything seems to be very slightly off, sort of like BloodCM. You can see how the dynamite doesn't blow up in your hands anymore.

Yeah, some renderers are definitely broken for some people, but making it sound like this glitchscape is the only experience offered by the game is a bit unfair IMO.

For me, DX11 renderer worked flawlessly but Vulkan screwed up with all kinds of glitches. It's obvious that these issues are due to insufficient testing with various video cards/drivers and the devs should be able to fix them if they receive constructive criticism. Yeah, the product does not deserve unconditional and unbounded praise, but it's not pure shit either.

In other news, switching to borderless mode seems to have solved some of the graphical issues for me. Y'all might want to give it a try.

Also, I just tested it, and the dynamite did blow up in my hands. I wasn't able to trigger that bug. FWIW.

This post has been edited by Ishmaeel: 11 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I switched to OpenGL and I got a black screen and had to alt+ctrl+del my way out. Nice.

This post has been edited by Radar: 11 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, that black screen bug is definitely the opposite of nice. Can you try borderless mode (instead of full-screen mode)? It seems to have solved the black screen issue for me.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options