Duke4.net Forums: Blood: Fresh Supply - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood: Fresh Supply

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostPhredreeke, on 11 August 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

I don't think it's Kaiser that's scummy here, it's Atari.

Without knowing the details, I'd put it on Atari, Nightdive, and Kaiser.
Surely Kaiser and Nightdive knew about what the deal entailed, whether it was only allowing X amount of updates or updates to a certain date or whatever. Unless Atari just ghosted them immediately after, that is.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postaxl, on 11 August 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Blood Crossmatching was M210's project before GDX. It was more like a total conversion of Duke Nukem and thus absolutely not very faithful to the original Blood.

Though it was the closest thing to Blood at the time outside of running the original in DosBox.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So FS was left without a functioning netcode? This is officially a scandal.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Im calling the fuckin COPS.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Atari needs 6 warning shots to the back.

Another thought is that Kaiser could have simply underestimated how long it would take for him to get everything working properly. It wouldn't be the first nor the last time someone did that.

Thanks for the explaination about BloodCM. Given how bug-riddled FS originally was, I think a comparison to it would've struck a nerve.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Well, at least FS doesn't stutter, that's something.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Anyaway my impression is that as it stands now while NDS is claiming that there will be further patches for the game it doesn't seem like they are working on it. So we're fucked and we can think of ourselves as lucky if accuracy will be restored in a year.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostRadar, on 11 August 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

So FS was left without a functioning netcode? This is officially a scandal.

View PostBlitZ, on 11 August 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Im calling the fuckin COPS.

Atari:

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 12 August 2019 - 01:26 AM

Atari being a bunch of hacks once again.

How the fuck are they still afloat?, everything they have released in the last decade has been a buggy mess and/or just plain awful.

This post has been edited by AlektorophobiA: 12 August 2019 - 06:20 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Because of faggots like me who bought it just to be supportive of my favorite games getting remastered. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this would happen.

User is offline   axl 

It's a bit sad that all the remasters of the Build engine games are flawed: Blood FS, Shadow Warrior Redux, Megaton and World Tour...

Better leave it to the community to keep these games alive !

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, Doom hasn't done so well either...

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So we can call Fresh Supply an official fail now? Released with bugs and many of them never getting fixed?

Well, I knew I did well not buying this.

Fans > than super paid devs, because Passion > money..
When they (and as "they" i mean devs in a generic way) were moved by Passion and money it was ok.

Now most of games are made on the only purpose to make money and, as being a gamer is now a "fashion", you won't read the word "nerd" anywhere and anymore, somebody else noticed this?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's ironic as the media was trying to cancel the term "gamer" 5 years ago.

Like most things that are/were good, it always goes south when it goes mainstream.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostRadar, on 12 August 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

Because of faggots like me who bought it just to be supportive of my favorite games getting remastered. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this would happen.

This.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostAlektorophobiA, on 12 August 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

How the fuck are they still afloat?

Cockroaches always find a way to survive. Though unless they're in money laundering business (which would make sense since most of the time they sell broken cheap trash), there is really no reason to keep the company afloat since it pretty much does nothing but simply exist, they rarely takes opportunities to get easy money for what it looks like.

View PostAlektorophobiA, on 12 August 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

Atari being a bunch of hacks once again.

How the fuck are they still afloat?, everything they have released in the last decade has been a buggy mess and/or just plain awful.

Dumbass investors who hear the word Atari and think its still 1980? A general gaming public who doesn't care if something is rereleased completely broken as long as they can play it for fifteen minutes? Buying gaming IPs on the cheap and then selling them for a boatload of cash to people who actually care about it? Martians? A combination there of?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

This is precisely why I was skeptical. While most of this is Atari's fault, it's also Stephen Kick's for willingly signing such a short contract, not to mention his existing track record of abandoning projects (Like with Turok 2, which still has some rather serious bugs yet to be fixed, and missing a lot of the features Turok 1 had, like Workshop support, and missing even basic file transfer support for mods on servers). Gotta get that quick nostalgia buck I guess. Honestly feel bad for Kaiser; The dude is a great guy and works his ass off, but ends up ultimately taking the fall if things don't pan out.

This post has been edited by Striker: 12 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yeah. :/ While I vehemently disagree with Blood EX being passed off as a remaster, I have great respect for Kaiser as a developer given everything he has pulled off from a technical perspective. I hope someday he can put those skills to use in an original creation of his own instead of continuing to work with those who exploit gaming history.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 August 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Atari needs to just wise up and release the source code already.

Why the fuck didn't they give it to NDS?

View PostOuttagum, on 12 August 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

Forgive me if this is wrong, but might there be some kind of legal witchcraft going on, like with No One Lives Forever?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostOuttagum, on 12 August 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

Because they don't have it, Warner Bros does, and WB was not a part of this project in any way.

Besides, Night Dive had the source to other games, particularly Forsaken, but went the EX route with them anyway.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 August 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Because they don't have it, Warner Bros does, and WB was not a part of this project in any way.

Besides, Night Dive had the source to other games, particularly Forsaken, but went the EX route with them anyway.

Is your blood port still being worked on? I think it is still needed because neither bloodgdx or Nblood works with weapon mod, for example.

• Weaponized Autism

With NBlood around I haven't felt the need to think about it much and it's no longer as important a goal for me. If I work on it, it will be mostly as a research hobby because NBlood serves players' needs that much better. As for the Weapons Mod, the project's exe hacker, NoOne, is implementing modding features into NBlood so you may want to ask him if it's something that can be done, or if it would require something like AngelScript.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostStriker, on 12 August 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

This is precisely why I was skeptical. While most of this is Atari's fault, it's also Stephen Kick's for willingly signing such a short contract, not to mention his existing track record of abandoning projects (Like with Turok 2, which still has some rather serious bugs yet to be fixed, and missing a lot of the features Turok 1 had, like Workshop support, and missing even basic file transfer support for mods on servers). Gotta get that quick nostalgia buck I guess. Honestly feel bad for Kaiser; The dude is a great guy and works his ass off, but ends up ultimately taking the fall if things don't pan out.

It would be cool to put the blame on Kick simply because I very much respect Kaier's work too... but if you look into places like the KEX Discord it's pretty evident that the KEX team didn't handle this project well. They underestimated how messed up Build is, how much of the engine is part of what Blood is and that bit them in the ass.

Here's another quote from Kaiser on what he said after someone asked him where Blood could have more longevity, on KEX or on Build:

if done right, on Kex. Problem is that I also avoided using any BUILD code at all. That was my mistake. The second mistake was failing to understand the clockrate/tick rate of BUILD. Originally, the logic that I reverse engineered was running at 2x the speed in Kex, so everything had to be scaled down. I should of researched more on that rather than just scaling everything
I hated BUILD's collision code so much that I didn't even think twice about the impact it would cause when I rolled out my own
if I am ever given the chance to revisit FS. I am going to add an option to switch between collision modes

Also: it's seems like that most of the inaccuracies and bugs in the launch version and from the stuff that's remaining is caused by the game not running on that duct-taped, weird ass version of Build Blood is using. Like here's why the tesla gun fired five shots at launch instead of four:

it was a bug in the original game. The trigger to fire a tesla was at frame #0 and apparently, the original game would invoke that trigger again when the animation finished. Like it wrapped around before stopping the animation
which resulted in that extra tesla shot

So I'm not saying that we should hate on Kaiser or anything (I mean he went to QuakeCon and even there he fixed a few FS bugs, the man is a legend) but they messed this one up. I just hope they'll have the opportunity to correct their mistakes.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 August 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

With NBlood around I haven't felt the need to think about it much and it's no longer as important a goal for me. If I work on it, it will be mostly as a research hobby because NBlood serves players' needs that much better. As for the Weapons Mod, the project's exe hacker, NoOne, is implementing modding features into NBlood so you may want to ask him if it's something that can be done, or if it would require something like AngelScript.

What about other Build engine games though? Although with Blood and RR reverse engineered, and sirlemonhead working on Powerslave that doesn't leave much, LOT7P and Xtreme Paintbrawl...

View PostPhredreeke, on 26 August 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

What about other Build engine games though? Although with Blood and RR reverse engineered, and sirlemonhead working on Powerslave that doesn't leave much, LOT7P and Xtreme Paintbrawl...

Well, the bar for turning something like LOT7P or Paintbrawl (or those other really obscure options) into something good is lower than the expectations for even Tekwar, Witchaven or one of the two military sims. Who knows, someone trying to remake those might make something better. It couldn't possibly be any worse. :(

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 26 August 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

In the absence of being a copyright puritan it's vastly more efficient in terms of development effort to render source code as output instead of engineering a runtime interface and also expecting to patch it to meet modern user needs such as high-precision mouse aiming. I would still like to write a decompilation tool as a complement to NY00123 and Nuke.YKT's efforts, similar to what I did for the 64 and TM CON files.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options