Duke4.net Forums: Epic store - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epic store

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Epic client monitors all of your running processes, plus it rely on .js files and creates spying subdomains (check this script on pastebin out). It also messing with browsers (registry, cookies). This shit is blatant as fuck, I think even worse than Windows 10.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 16 March 2019 - 03:47 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Sigh. All right, all right, all right. *uninstalls*

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Julian Gollop have anounced a few days sooner that Phoenix Point (his new X-COM/XCOM) will be an exclusivity on Epic Game Store for 1 year with 1 year of free DLCs

https://www.facebook...oenixPointGame/

Imagine the reactions...

I'ts too late to dethrone Steam, they should have tried back in , i dunno, 2007?. Too little, too late.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nothing is too late. But they're not going about it in a great way.

View PostLazy Dog, on 16 March 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'ts too late to dethrone Steam, they should have tried back in , i dunno, 2007?. Too little, too late.

Do not underestimate Chinese and artificial competition. Those fuckers already bought out a big portion of Hollywood and they're starting to get their hands on game companies too. Tencent has shitton of money judging by how easily some of the publishers decided to take such a huge risk and release their games exclusively to Tencent store for one year, not to mention a big support from Chinese government, they're acting extremely aggressive. Meanwhile Valve is trying to fuck with Steam as well by making stupid business decisions, I think soon this will bite them in the ass much worse compared to Epic's artificial competition though.

Though if Steam shit the bed I think people will turn to piracy like the old time. Gabe Newell pretty much nailed it by saying that piracy is a service problem. What's funny though is that if you think about it, those companies who make their games exclusively for Epic don't need sales from consumers thanks to Chinese who likely got exclusive deal because they promised to compensate those sales.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 16 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Look what the Asians did to Blizzard. They alienated Diablo from its home on the PC and turned it into a fuggin' mobile game to please the Koreans. You don't need to have a heart for your fans any more, just go straight for the cash and screw the dislikes and flame on social media.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostSledgehammer, on 16 March 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Do not underestimate Chinese and artificial competition. Those fuckers already bought out a big portion of Hollywood and they're starting to get their hands on game companies too. Tencent has shitton of money judging by how easily some of the publishers decided to take such a huge risk and release their games exclusively to Tencent store for one year, not to mention a big support from Chinese government, they're acting extremely aggressive. Meanwhile Valve is trying to fuck with Steam as well by making stupid business decisions, I think soon this will bite them in the ass much worse compared to Epic's artificial competition though.

Though if Steam shit the bed I think people will turn to piracy like the old time. Gabe Newell pretty much nailed it by saying that piracy is a service problem. What's funny though is that if you think about it, those companies who make their games exclusively for Epic don't need sales from consumers thanks to Chinese who likely got exclusive deal because they promised to compensate those sales.

I remember someone working on Metro Exodus said the game was already profitable from their exclusivity deal before the game was even sold on Epic Game Store.
I think Epic/Tencent are forking over some serious numbers to people and yet Halo is still coming to Steam.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostSledgehammer, on 16 March 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yeah, if Steam "dies" for whatever reason, people likely won't go to Epic. If something like that happens and a lot of people lose all their games I think that would spell the end for this type of DRM'ed digital distribution of games. Few people would be willing to bet on another horse just like the one that just died. Better to just pirate, then.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 17 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

View PostNightFright, on 16 March 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Look what the Asians did to Blizzard. They alienated Diablo from its home on the PC and turned it into a fuggin' mobile game to please the Koreans. You don't need to have a heart for your fans any more, just go straight for the cash and screw the dislikes and flame on social media.

That's Chinese though. Koreans were important solely because of SC and esports in general, they kind of tried to cash in on Koreans with Overwatch too for this reason. Chinese market on the other hand is very popular among many companies which also includes Actiblizzard and which is why they want to focus on mobile crap in the first place.

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 March 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

I remember someone working on Metro Exodus said the game was already profitable from their exclusivity deal before the game was even sold on Epic Game Store.

It doesn't take to be a genius to understand that not a single publisher (who are huge cowards and always rely on "working" formulas) genuinely would risk putting their games exclusively to a shitty store about which barely anyone cares or likes. And now those companies have not a single reason to care about consumers (yet), who need those people when you have a company which will buy your game for you to make it profitable? I wonder though how long will they continue to do that.

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 March 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

yet Halo is still coming to Steam.

MS has shitton of money anyway and I think the devs have a different goal for this collection, they even acknowledged what a piece of broken shit MCC was on Xboner and want to deliver better quality ports to PC. Besides, I think it would be devastating for America as a whole if a company like MS gave in to chinks.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 17 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostNightFright, on 16 March 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Look what the Asians did to Blizzard. They alienated Diablo from its home on the PC and turned it into a fuggin' mobile game to please the Koreans.

Huh, no. There are legitimate reasons to be angry at Activision Blizzard right now, but Diablo: Immortal is clearly just a side-project designed by a third-party for mobile platforms.

This is like saying Bethesda alienated the Doom community by releasing Doom VFR... :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 17 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

Would you look at this damage control:
Spoiler

Here is a link to the article itself, the linked reddit thread is full of really interesting things about what this botnet does to your system and how blatant it is.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSledgehammer, on 16 March 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

It also messing with browsers (registry, cookies). This shit is blatant as fuck, I think even worse than Windows 10.

The last part I think is not that uncommon. Registry is a place to look at for everyone. There's a lot of querying going on every second. The only solution is to sandbox. And use open-source, so it could be known what exactly software is sending.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've used the Epic launcher for a few years now as I like to mess about with the Unreal Engine from time to time. Up to now, it's been quiet, and well-behaved.

Those days are gone.

Now it starts when Windows starts. I didn't tell it to do that, it didn't used to do that. This is something that has been pushed from Epic without my say-so. Today, I now get annoying pop-ups telling me about friend requests. I do collaborate with a couple of people, so I was sort of dreading opening that up and finding loads of 'requests' from people who 'just happen' to be in my Steam friends list! Oh, it's much better than that.

'LBurgerking1234', 'Brando1600' and 'yann030705' all want to be my friends! Touching, but I have no idea who these bozos are and I don't think I have to check with my actual friends to find that these guys are bots, spammers, or worse.

So, what will I do when Phoenix Point will be released on epic game store in exclusivity for 1 years ?

I install the epic game store, download the game and then delete Epic game store ?

User is offline   Kathy 

It probably won't start without Epic Store Client. Just like most games of Steam won't start without Steam's.

Actually, they (Julian Gollop and Snapshot games) say it will only require Epic Game Store to download and update the game, not to play it

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You'll probably have to run it to update. I don't know though.
If so, you'll have the joy of trying to join a game with friends and then having to go launch and patch when you find they updated the previous evening.

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 March 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

So, what will I do when Phoenix Point will be released on epic game store in exclusivity for 1 years ?

I install the epic game store, download the game and then delete Epic game store ?

Pirate it if you want it this bad, Chinese already paid for one year sales anyway so the devs don't really need your money, in fact they didn't even need those Kickstarter's money either last time I heard.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 19 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 March 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Actually, they (Julian Gollop and Snapshot games) say it will only require Epic Game Store to download and update the game, not to play it

Considering Snapshot Games managed to change their positions regarding initial release, this could change as well. Even there might a legitimate reason like Epic Client becoming more in-depth with features that intertwine with the game, like achievements or cloud saves.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 19 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

DOn't worry, as I am a backer for Phoenix Point so I will receive my key for getting it on Epic Game Store, and will get a Steam key a year later.

The backer build already work without any launcher needed to play it.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The Outer Worlds and Control have both been announced to be Epic Store exclusive for at least a year.
Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are also coming to PC and will be exclusive to Epic Store.
In the case of The Outer Worlds, it will also be available on Microsoft Store.

Its telling I'd rather buy a game on Microsoft's Store than on Epic's Store.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve sets a new rule that you can't have a Steam store page with front page advertisement if you are just going to be exclusive to another store. Metro Exodus was on the front page for months until it went Epic exclusive right before release

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 20 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

Ehh, I'd pass on this shit even if it was available DRM free.

No way i'm installing this shit on my pc

• The Truth is in here

Well, looks like the pestillence has a new name.

User is offline   Kathy 

It's really got to levels of console exclusives bullshit. Games are now announced on what store they will be available.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

More PS exclusives coming, cool shit.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is cool too:
https://variety.com/...ore-1203167834/

• The Truth is in here

And another temporary exclusive. Borderlands 3 until April 2020. Because why not.

More like "because we have no confidence in sales for the product".

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options