Duke4.net Forums: Epic store - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epic store

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#61

Randy Tweeted that if Valve actually formally and officially announces Half-Life 3, he'll do everything he can to ensure BL3 gets on Steam as well.
0

User is offline   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#62

I would normally laugh, but following reasons prevent me from me actually doing so:

1) It's not funny.
2) I stopped caring about HL3 ages ago.
3) Epic can go f**k themselves.
4) It's Randy.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

3

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#63

I stopped expecting HL3, but I never stopped caring.
2

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

  • Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

#64

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 April 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Randy Tweeted that if Valve actually formally and officially announces Half-Life 3, he'll do everything he can to ensure BL3 gets on Steam as well.

The funniest thing about it is that Randy wouldn't do this and not just because he has contract with chinks.
0

#65

What is even attracting gaming studios to Epic Store in the first place? :huh:
0

User is online   HulkNukem 

#66

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 03 April 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

What is even attracting gaming studios to Epic Store in the first place? :huh:


You really gotta a$k?
0

User is online   Zaxx 

#67

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 03 April 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

What is even attracting gaming studios to Epic Store in the first place? :huh:

Cake. They are doing it for cake.
0

#68

I do not know, I do not remember them rushing to have their games added to Origin and Uplay. :unsure:
0

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

  • Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

#69

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 03 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

I do not know, I do not remember them rushing to have their games added to Origin and Uplay. :unsure:

Ubisoft in fact became their bitch too. Tencent is a very powerful company with shitton of money to waste unlike the rest of the companies, I'd say they're almost on the same level as M$ (that especially includes collecting personal information and being supported by the government) except they're willing to pay a huge amount of money for timed exclusivity.
0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#70

Epic currently has (to the best of my knowledge) the best developer profit split of any platform. Certainly better than Steam's.
1

User is online   HulkNukem 

#71

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 03 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

I do not know, I do not remember them rushing to have their games added to Origin and Uplay. :unsure:


Epic is paying a lot of money to make them timed exclusive as well has giving a bigger publisher split for any sales.

For instance it was said that Metro Exodus was profitable just from Epic's exclusivity payout before the game even released.
0

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#72

The Epic store has started to feed ads to the notifications in Windows 10. If I didn't need it for the game engine, the launcher would be gone by now.
2

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#73

View PostNightFright, on 26 February 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

I wonder when they will realize that some people just get games for free w/o buying any. Can't imagine they will keep it that way. Unless this is a "calculated risk" from their side.

Personally I can't forgive Epic for kinda pulling the plug on the new UT. For that alone I already hope they'll choke on their crappy launcher. Hard.

Same. I honestly feel bad for the people who contributed a metric fuckton of content to UT4, only to have had their time and effort wasted.
0

User is offline   ---- 

#74

View PostTea Monster, on 04 April 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

The Epic store has started to feed ads to the notifications in Windows 10. If I didn't need it for the game engine, the launcher would be gone by now.


Wow, haven't used it for a few days (also only for the engine and UT4 modding and mods and I once played a free game from the store).

*checks UT-Discord*

Not to defend the store but were the notifications for a free game? You can disable them in the Settings. I did that a few weeks ago and never got any notification on the lower right of the screen anymore.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 04 April 2019 - 11:40 PM

0

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

#75

Posted Image

source

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 05 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

4

#76

Out of curiosity, what exactly do people miss so much about Unreal Tournament that cannot be found in current games, e.g. Doom 2016/Doom Maternal's multiplayer, Quake Champions, TOXIKK, etc.? I am not particularly good at competitive multiplayer games, so I never really bothered with with Unreal as a franchise; I bought the original Unreal but really did not like it, I got Unreal Tournament 2004 only to play the Alien Swarm total conversion and I have vague memories of playing regular UT2004 against bots, but that is about it. The Tommy Tallarico soundtrack is excellent, though!

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 05 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#77

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 05 April 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, what exactly do people miss so much about Unreal Tournament that cannot be found in current games, e.g. Doom 2016/Doom Maternal's multiplayer, Quake Champions, TOXIKK, etc.? I am not particularly good at competitive multiplayer games, so I never really bothered with with Unreal as a franchise; I bought the original Unreal but really did not like it, I got Unreal Tournament 2004 only to play the Alien Swarm total conversion and I have vague memories of playing regular UT2004 against bots, but that is about it. The Tommy Tallarico soundtrack is excellent, though!

Doom 2016's multiplayer is garbage (you slow down incredibly when you strafe, loadouts + 2 weapon carry limit, clientside everything so it's easy as hell to cheat in a really nasty way, weapons feel weak and shitty to use due to overbalancing thanks to loadouts, etc), Quake Champions has no server browser, no mods, and ridiculous load times. TOXIKK has a severe lack of players and very few good mods, last I checked.

This post has been edited by Striker: 05 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

1

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#78

For me personally, it's the soundtrack.

What I really want is a new single player Unreal game in the same vein/universe/atmosphere/level design as the first game. I loved that experience so much. I avoided most multiplayer only games of that era (Q3A/UT) because I just wasn't interested in endless meaningless online play. To me it's an extra bonus distraction included with a main game. I can't stand multiplayer-only games. Counter-Strike and other HL mods that were MP only I loved because I did consider them extra bonuses to the single player experience that was Half-Life. I couldn't play them all day and all night, though.

That said, I did play UT99 years later with my family members only and it was a nice way to spend time together and have fun even though most of us were miles apart. That was fun. Serious Sam Co-op especially as well.
3

#79

Oh... so there is really no proper spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament?
0

User is offline   necroslut 

#80

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 05 April 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

Oh... so there is really no proper spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament?

Not a satisfactory one, no. For me personally, even UT 2003/2004 wasn't a proper successor; I always felt it took more after Quake III, in regards to both aesthetics and feel, rather than the previous Unreal games.
UT III was shit.
1

User is offline   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#81

I have to agree with the soundtrack thing. UT music has always been totally immersive and atmospheric, contributing a lot to enjoying the levels. It's hard to describe, but the music gives you an experience you don't get in any other multiplayer game. It's meditative and exciting at once. Listening to UT99 music on Youtube makes me immediately want to play the game again. It's THAT good. UT has also been the only series so far in which I enjoyed sniping. Headshots can be so satisfying if devs can make it feel right.
3

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#82

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 April 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

For me personally, it's the soundtrack.

What I really want is a new single player Unreal game in the same vein/universe/atmosphere/level design as the first game. I loved that experience so much. I avoided most multiplayer only games of that era (Q3A/UT) because I just wasn't interested in endless meaningless online play. To me it's an extra bonus distraction included with a main game. I can't stand multiplayer-only games. Counter-Strike and other HL mods that were MP only I loved because I did consider them extra bonuses to the single player experience that was Half-Life. I couldn't play them all day and all night, though.

That said, I did play UT99 years later with my family members only and it was a nice way to spend time together and have fun even though most of us were miles apart. That was fun. Serious Sam Co-op especially as well.


I was trying to upvote you but my mouse slipped!!

Anyway, I agree, and the only thing I would add to that is I really enjoyed using the mutators on UT 99. I even made a few myself. I did play multiplayer myself, especially CTF, but I enjoyed having the offline option.
3

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#83

All good! :)

The greatness of the Unreal/UT99 soundtrack can be attributed to the great Straylight Productions (also operated under Five Musicians prior) which included chiefly Alexander Brandon (Siren), Dan Gardopée (Basehead), Andrew Sega (Necros), and also sometimes Michiel van den Bos. All of whom you should check out the tracker MODs of right now. May I suggest starting with the music of Crusader No Remorse/Regret, Unreal, UT99, Dues Ex, and Vigilante 8. Also just look them up on the MOD Archive.

I recall when this UT revival was first announced that Alexander Brandon and Dan Gardopée contacted/were contacted by Epic to do something further with music and as I recall there was interest...I have no idea what actually became of all that though and if anything ever happened. I never actually played the new UT. I got really curious after hearing that news though. But to my regret I didn't follow up.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

1

User is offline   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#84

Looks like Randy has a hard time digesting the review bombing currently hitting the Borderlands games on Steam in the wake of the temporary Epic exclusive announcement for BL3:

https://mobile.twitt...00%2Fframe.html

Does this mean they are having second thoughts about being on Steam in general? And: Is this not a bit over the top, especially considering Steam has just recently introduced a new system to fight review bombing (seperating too many reviews deviating from general opinion in a short period of time and/or after key events)?
0

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

#85

View PostNightFright, on 06 April 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Looks like Randy has a hard time digesting the review bombing currently hitting the Borderlands games on Steam in the wake of the temporary Epic exclusive announcement for BL3:

https://mobile.twitt...00%2Fframe.html

Does this mean they are having second thoughts about being on Steam in general? And: Is this not a bit over the top, especially considering Steam has just recently introduced a new system to fight review bombing (seperating too many reviews deviating from general opinion in a short period of time and/or after key events)?


Don't believe anything Randy says
0

#86

Can you leave reviews on Epic Store at all?
0

User is offline   ---- 

#87

EPIC's current stance on reviews is that the developer/publisher will be able to decide if they want reviews for their game(s) when that feature will be made available sometime in the future.
0

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

  • Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

#88

View PostNightFright, on 06 April 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Does this mean they are having second thoughts about being on Steam in general?

They already signed contract so no chance. And he has zero reasons to give a fuck, I have no doubt that people will actually buy Steam version in a year so it's a win-win for him either way. And it's not like he had good rep before anyway, this situation won't hurt him financially.
0

User is offline   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#89

I also don't think they would even consider pulling out of Steam. Since BL3 is pretty much their last straw by now, Gearbox' goal must be to sell it on as many platforms as humanly possible.

Also, the other BL games have already been sold often enough, what damage could review bombing possibly cause there now? Getting aroused about it seems exaggerated.

As far as I am concerned, I won't buy BL3 before it's on Steam, and certainly not at full price after it was already sold elsewhere for one year and I had to wait for it. Hopefully others will do the same, because ultimately that's the only thing you can do to show your disapproval in a way that matters.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

1

User is offline   necroslut 

#90

View PostNightFright, on 06 April 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Looks like Randy has a hard time digesting the review bombing currently hitting the Borderlands games on Steam in the wake of the temporary Epic exclusive announcement for BL3:

Does this mean they are having second thoughts about being on Steam in general? And: Is this not a bit over the top, especially considering Steam has just recently introduced a new system to fight review bombing (seperating too many reviews deviating from general opinion in a short period of time and/or after key events)?

It is honestly understandable that developers and publishers might take issue with review bombing, and it's predictable that some might even choose to leave Steam over it if some other opportunity comes along and now it has.
Whether they'll stay in the long run likely comes down to if the Epic Store actually takes off or not. They're not gonna be willing to sacrifice a significant amount of sales just to spite Steam. But making a scene out of it could give them some leverage against Valve; maybe forcing them to actually get something done for once.
0

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options