• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

And again, Nancsi perpetually avoiding truth. This is a woman entirely devoid of Logos. It's sad really.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNancsi, on 18 June 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Communists/leftists/anarchists suck.
Nazis/fascists/antisemites/neocons suck.
Liberalis/feminazis/SJW's/genderfascists/Sorosists/betas suck.
Conservatives/male chauvinists/all religious bigots/climate deniers suck.

Apoliticals suck as well.

The only fucking truth is: pragmatism. If there is a problem, you have to solve it in a sensible way. If that solution is leaning towards liberal views or conservative views or whatnot, then do it. Living with fake ideas made by frauds to dig fake trenches between parts of people is utterly nonsensical.

After climate deniers suck you forgot to add climate believers suck. Many of their "solutions" are not pragmatic, not based on science and highly political in nature.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

View Postthricecursed, on 18 June 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Seems like there's this massive history between people and I'm just curious.

Was posting on 3DR forums back when I was also predicting that there was no way Duke 3D was going to be as good as Rise of the Triad so been shit talking around here for a while.

View PostBlitZ, on 18 June 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

all to spite him for siding with someone else in a minor disagreement on the internet?

Hooker, I ain't payin' for tongue tonight.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostBlitZ, on 18 June 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

Can you imagine being enough of an arrogant cocksucker to try to talk shit to one of the pre-eminent level designers of the 90s, when you yourself have produced literally nothing in the realm of level design, all to spite him for siding with someone else in a minor disagreement on the internet? Jesus Christ LMFAO

WTF are you talking about?

And Radar, fuck you for upvoting these posts (now, let's bitching BlitZ style).

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostWorkWandaWork, on 18 June 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Was posting on 3DR forums back when I was also predicting that there was no way Duke 3D was going to be as good as Rise of the Triad so been shit talking around here for a while.

Lol, I've since been enlightened as to your identity. Big fan of your work!

View Postthricecursed, on 18 June 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

I take great pride in my work to help threads get into the outhouse.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by WorkWandaWork: 18 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMark, on 18 June 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

After climate deniers suck you forgot to add climate believers suck. Many of their "solutions" are not pragmatic, not based on science and highly political in nature.

There is no such thing as climate belief. Climate change is a well documented fact, just like greenhouse gases. You don't even need to listen the scientists. Visit the glaciers in Canada or Norway this winter, and revisit the same area 5 years later.

I agree some solutions like the various quota trading systems are political and have little value in the GHG mitigation, but you know what? EU is the only entity which is seriously concerned by climate change, and it managed to reduce the emission prior to the 1990 levels, while americunts or chinese increased it to much higher. So not everything is just a political nonsense here.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 18 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostNancsi, on 18 June 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

And Radar, fuck you for upvoting these posts (now, let's bitching BlitZ style).

Posted Image

Nigga please, I'm not the only one upvoting.

Spoiler

User is offline   NNC 

I'm only fighting with Jimmy and Hendricks (as a Jimmy Hendrix fan).

I feel like a guy who hit his credit card limit on myfreecams, I can't upvote anymore.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postthricecursed, on 18 June 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

To be honest I'm still not 100% certain on who he is.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

I don't mean that disrespectfully, of course. I've been gathering some idea, but nothing concrete. And what thricecursed said has sort of made me wonder if I'm not missing something much more important.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don't mean that disrespectfully, of course.

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Forge, your first picture clue may not be recognizable by people younger than us or not from the US.

I would like to note that I do live under a rock. So if these are clues they have definitely gone over my head so far.

That being said, if we're turning this into a guessing game, I'm down. Even if I'll probably make a fool of myself.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNancsi, on 18 June 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

...EU is the only entity which is seriously concerned by climate change, and it managed to reduce the emission prior to the 1990 levels, while americunts or chinese increased it to much higher. So not everything is just a political nonsense here.

Gee, I guess all these charts I just found in a google search must be wrong because it looks to me like our output of greenhouse gases is roughly the same as 1990. Or maybe I'm missing something. Please enlighten me.

Actually, you don't have to respond. There are already a number of threads with long drawn out discussions on this subject. It takes way too much effort to argue this subject. I contributed my 2 cents worth. I'll move on.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: total-ghg-over-time-2019.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostMark, on 18 June 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Many of their "solutions" are not pragmatic, not based on science and highly political in nature.

They are, actually. Even the US Military is now taking climate change very seriously and has to adapt both its methods and technology consequently to prevent disastrous loss of installations, equipment and most importantly human lives. That is what happens when you have military bases all across the world and must operate in conditions that climate-denying politicians, lobbyists and commentators will never have to experience as part of their job - at least nowhere near to the same extent...

Also, when has "political" become such a negative term? People have been complaining about video games being "political" a lot lately - as if video games used to be a natural occurrence and not the result of a series of conscious design decisions by people with beliefs of their own - and now, even caring about humanity's future is considered too "political"? Seriously?

Making Duke Nukem to be a first-person shooter where violent combat is the sole method of conflict resolution is just as political - whether it is "intentional" or not is irrelevant, as the result is the same - as making a game where conflicts are resolved through non-violent actions (e.g. talking, stealth, trading, etc.); likewise, rethinking our society and economy so that the environmental impact of our activities are drastically diminished is just as political as refusing to change anything by actively investing in dying unsustainable industries and sabotaging any serious attempt to come up with an alternative.

And before any of you gets defensive, no, I am not equating Duke Nukem to a clear existential threat like climate change nor am I implying that violent first-person shooters are somehow wrong. I am just trying to illustrate how these two are just as political as their allegedly "political" alternatives.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 18 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>trusting the United States military

That's funny.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 June 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

a clear existential threat like climate change

Posted Image

I am just trying to illustrate how these two are just as political as their allegedly "political" alternatives.

I know I am going to be ignored, but I'm honestly getting really tired of hearing this.

There is a significantly large difference between something that is intentionally political, and something that is not.

Yes, it is fact that all creative types put some version of their views and experiences into their works. But note that phrase. "Some version." Believe it or not, it is possible for people to put stuff in that goes against what they actually think. This how villains are made. Literally. And yet people get mad about them anyway.

But that's neither here nor there. In an intentional political game, or movie, or whatever, then that is the sole reason for that work's existence. It exists to preach. It exists to tell you how to think. And that is what so many people are getting tired of.

The same can not and can never be said of an unintentionally political work. If the views of the author seep in, that is not on the same level as intentional politicization. Because there's this thing called Death of the Author, the central focus of which is separating what's in the work from the author and deriving your own meaning from it. In some cases, like the actually intentionally political ones, or in cases where the author, studio, team, whoever, wear their views on their sleeve, this is impossible. But in not political works, like Duke itself, you simply can't. Because being able to distinguish what is actually present in the work from the reasons you think they're in there is not an ability that anyone besides the creators themselves actually have.

But people continue to try. And when they get their own meaning as per Death of the Author, and get mad at the creators for it, we get conflict. "change this because it disagrees with my political views that I am going to pretend give me a moral advantage." And conversely, because they insist that unintentional politics are on equal footing with intentional politics, they believe that their own works must be vehicles that preach their political views.

This is precisely where this "Duke is sexist" thing comes from. People that insist that 3DR must have been misogynistic themselves. Even though I can goddamn promise next to nobody actually mistreated or thought lowly of women. You know what they actually thought? "What should the plot of our game that parodies every action hero ever and is aimed at our primarily-male demographic? Saving women? Alright sounds good. Now let's go and add stuff to the game to make it fun."

I want to again highlight the massive difference between the two, because that is why there is so much massive pushback against politicization. Because one solely exists to tell you how to think and live your life, and shame you for doing otherwise. The other puts forward entertainment and escapism as its first and primary goal. But so many "Creatives" these days want only the former and to destroy the latter. Because it might present views they disagree with, intentionally or not. They fail to understand that nobody wants to be preached at. The people who agree will just have what they already know repeated at them, and those that don't will be left disappointed because that movie or game they wanted to experience decided to yell at them instead of do the thing they paid money for. Which is again, to be entertained.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for those more politcal works. But it is not the mainstream like is trying to be so forcefully pushed to be. It's only natural that there is extreme pushback.

tl;dr just because you can interpret something one way does not mean that it is that way and getting mad at your own interpretation of things and blaming the creators is fucking stupid, as timmy 4 million k/ph would say

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

View Poststickydadachshund, on 18 June 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Also, when has "political" become such a negative term?

January 5th, 1993 at Grace Hospital in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

User is offline   Forge 

whether it is "intentional" or not is irrelevant

Posted Image

i really love how he'll edit to respond to a later post as opposed to make an actual reply so he can avoid addressing individual points

not that it matters since he missed the point anyway

i regret trying

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

so he can avoid

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

how dare you use such a horrible slur

Haha I was just joking dude it's not like I was ser-

Oh wait, I forgot that I totally stand by everything I've ever said and don't backpedal at all when I receive pushback. Don't want to be called some kind of unfair mischaracterizing slur like schrodinger's douchebag or anything. I'm sure nobody here would do that, though. I'm probably just being paranoid. If they did they'd probably just ignore me anyway instead of having a civil conversation and answering challenging but cordial lines of questioning so what do I have to worry about?

View Postthricecursed, on 18 June 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

I honestly think the kind of sensible you're talking about is something that's just innate in some individuals. As in, hardwired genetically.

Probably most people. But many people also have had their systems hacked at a very young age, especially lately.

I know some of you are not fans of Peterson, but he's usually solid on his science (excluding the lobster shit)

What's wrong with the lobster stuff?

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Pull up a chair, have a seat, and he'll tell you all about it. It's quite a story!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

Pull up a chair, have a seat, and he'll tell you all about it. It's quite a story!

I would love it if he did but I feel like him not doing so is part of the joke at this point

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

I would love it if he did but I feel like him not doing so is part of the joke at this point

possible that zer wants to be taken at face value instead of standing on accomplishments to lord over the peons.

Posted Image

View PostForge, on 18 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

possible that zer wants to be taken at face value instead of standing on accomplishments to lord over the peons.

I do genuinely think that's the case.

Let's see...Weinerdog, chair, seat, story...first two images I don't get...

not that it matters since he missed the point anyway

Rule one of engaging in a forum fever with an infectious agent: You're there for the body not the virus.

i regret trying

Regret nothing.
Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

...he'll tell you all about it.

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 June 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

I would love it if he did...

View PostForge, on 18 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

possible that zer wants to be taken at face value

So there I was about 10 years ago minding my own business, reading The Tao, grooving to Alan Watts, shitposting on AboveTopSecret, when out of nowhere that Jesus fella started to make so much sense that he made some even ancienter Jews start making sense. It's been a crazy ride ever since.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options