Duke4.net Forums: Duke Being Put To Pasture? - Duke4.net Forums

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

View PostZaxx, on 24 April 2019 - 06:05 AM, said:

Just a few idiots shouting on the internet (as they always are), chances are they are the same idiots who were upset when they introduced a gay character in MKX. Nobody gives a damn, especially since the game is giving predatory a new meaning with its microtransactions.

Well, I would not be so sure about them just being "a few", but yeah, you summarise their tendency to miss the forest for the trees pretty well...

Anyway, I have been thinking about what the next Duke Nukem game could be , and if Gearbox does not feel like doing anything really extravagant, they could always build on The Doctor Who Cloned Me. Of course, it definitely was not great in terms of gameplay due to being just extra content for Duke Nukem Forever, and it felt like the developers had taken two entirely different games worth of plot - the Dr. Proton's plan to create a Dukeinator army and the Aliens on the Moon - and crammed it into one short DLC. However, in terms of set pieces, humour and Duke Nukem's characterisation, I thought it was mostly alright: the Serious Sam-esque gags (e.g. Duke infiltrating the Dukeinator Training Center by posing as himself, him carrying a shrunken Captain Dylan around and using him to unlock doors, the gang escaping the base in a school bus, etc.) were all pretty amusing and I still find the idea of a shrunken Duke Nukem having to visit a day care center to get a vehicle to be a hilarious stroke of genius as well as a fun, little detail in terms of worldbuilding.

And to be fair to Duke Nukem Forever in general, the Shrunken Duke sequences were in general among the best parts of the game in terms of creativity, so much that I would also be okay if the next game could ditch the classic FPS gameplay in favour of one focused all around exotic weaponry. Heck, it could take some cues from The Spy Who Shrunk Me in the ways the Shrink Ray can be used:

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 24 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

User is offline   Noddy 

For what i would consider idea of DN5 is some weird well written story clusterf*ck of random mixed ideas and enemies. Aliens on one side, Dr.Proton another return an another side

Here, check out this clip, it has 3 parts.

The next Duke game should be an origin story about awkward freshly adult Duke bulking up (totally not like Johny Bravo) and fighting the evil Dr. Protein, the only bulked up scientist in the galaxy, who seeks to drain the muscle from all bodybuilders in the world and transfer it onto other scientists and lanky STEM college students.

Edit: Bonus DLC include Duke's exciting 8 hour odyssey in search of the clitoris, ending in a poorly made copy of Surgeon Simulator involving Duke's Mighty Member™ and a barely 18 year old cheerleader (to please the Randy fraction).

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 25 April 2019 - 03:25 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I don't care what the story is, I just hope that the final boss will be Randy Pitchford.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

View PostZaxx, on 25 April 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

I don't care what the story is, I just hope that the final boss will be Randy Pitchford.

Hahahahaha good one. Reminds me how i put Chuck Norris as final boss in my awful mod Duke Nukem IV. Maybe i shall do my fan made crap mod "Duke V" with Randy Pitchford as final boss XD

View PostZaxx, on 25 April 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

Randy would probably be actually okay with this, as he has shown himself to be quite the self-deprecating goofball.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Visually speaking this is something I could stand behind as a "new" Duke design:
Posted Image
Looks so much better than Douche Nukem yet it's literally just a high res version of Duke 1 Duke.
https://twitter.com/...163832456634368

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 25 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

View PostZaxx, on 25 April 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Visually speaking this is something I could stand behind as a "new" Duke design:
Posted Image
Looks so much better than Douche Nukem yet it's literally just a high res version of Duke 1 Duke.

This looking good, shall be used in some kind of Duke Nukem 1 remake, if it ever happens.

User is offline   justLMAO 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 24 April 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

Well, I would not be so sure about them just being "a few", but yeah, you summarise their tendency to miss the forest for the trees pretty well...

Anyway, I have been thinking about what the next Duke Nukem game could be , and if Gearbox does not feel like doing anything really extravagant, they could always build on The Doctor Who Cloned Me. Of course, it definitely was not great in terms of gameplay due to being just extra content for Duke Nukem Forever, and it felt like the developers had taken two entirely different games worth of plot - the Dr. Proton's plan to create a Dukeinator army and the Aliens on the Moon - and crammed it into one short DLC. However, in terms of set pieces, humour and Duke Nukem's characterisation, I thought it was mostly alright: the Serious Sam-esque gags (e.g. Duke infiltrating the Dukeinator Training Center by posing as himself, him carrying a shrunken Captain Dylan around and using him to unlock doors, the gang escaping the base in a school bus, etc.) were all pretty amusing and I still find the idea of a shrunken Duke Nukem having to visit a day care center to get a vehicle to be a hilarious stroke of genius as well as a fun, little detail in terms of worldbuilding.

And to be fair to Duke Nukem Forever in general, the Shrunken Duke sequences were in general among the best parts of the game in terms of creativity, so much that I would also be okay if the next game could ditch the classic FPS gameplay in favour of one focused all around exotic weaponry. Heck, it could take some cues from The Spy Who Shrunk Me in the ways the Shrink Ray can be used:

Nice to see another game with miniaturization ngl, being shrunk feels comfy

though "Early Access" as a concept in general can get fucked tbhbhtbh, there's like a million Early Access games on Steam that never got finished because dipshits were like TAKE MY MONEY

As for the next Duke game, IMO it should be a parody of Independence Day 1997. It doesn't matter if "aliens landing on Earth" is overrused in the Duke canon, nobody plays Duke games for storyline. So you have the big Alien ships hovering over every Earth city, world leaders telling not to attack the aliens and just hope they go away, everything goes to shit, Duke fights aliens in cool locations with plenty of gameplay variety and kickass weapons, the game ends with Duke piloting a downed alien craft into the mothership, blowing it up and flying back to earth smoking a cigar with two alien babes in the ship with him, job done it's a wrap ngl

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxx, on 25 April 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's good. It just bugs me that his shirt is purple. It was always meant to be red but the standard EGA 16 colour palette made it blend too much with his skin. Make it red and it's perfect.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 April 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

It's good. It just bugs me that his shirt is purple. It was always meant to be red but the standard EGA 16 colour palette made it blend too much with his skin. Make it red and it's perfect.

Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Okay, we've reached perfection. <_<

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Excellent.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 25 April 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is perfectly awesome now!!! Shall be used in actual remake of Dn1 or maybe reboot of it? This musn't left unused just like a picture, it deserves to be TITLESCREEN! Way to go! This is awesome!

User is offline   Master O 

View PostGingis Khan, on 25 April 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

This is perfectly awesome now!!! Shall be used in actual remake of Dn1 or maybe reboot of it? This musn't left unused just like a picture, it deserves to be TITLESCREEN! Way to go! This is awesome!

DN1 doesn't need to be remade, imo.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMaster O, on 25 April 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

DN1 doesn't need to be remade, imo.

Eh, I'd disagree. It's a good game still, to be sure, but a modern remake to iron out the flaws, some actual sound effects and an original soundtrack would go a long way I think. As long as it keeps the core game mostly intact and doesn't change the levels much except to remove some of the more frustrating elements, particularly the lack of scrolling backgrounds that make it difficult to tell where you reside spatially during freefall, I think DN1 would benefit from a remake. Not a big AAA 2.5D mega remake project, but a small budget remake that just modernizes it a bit and maybe redoes the graphics.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 April 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

Eh, I'd disagree. It's a good game still, to be sure, but a modern remake to iron out the flaws, some actual sound effects and an original soundtrack would go a long way I think. As long as it keeps the core game mostly intact and doesn't change the levels much except to remove some of the more frustrating elements, particularly the lack of scrolling backgrounds that make it difficult to tell where you reside spatially during freefall, I think DN1 would benefit from a remake. Not a big AAA 2.5D mega remake project, but a small budget remake that just modernizes it a bit and maybe redoes the graphics.

If you're gonna go through all that trouble, why not just make a new game in the same vein?

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

DN1 itself is rather quite average as a platformer and was good for its time no doubt, I mean DOS didn't have a lot of good platformers back then. But with DN2 they perfected it, I think it aged well, way better than the first game. But yeah, I would prefer a new Duke platformer, Manhattan Project showed that it can be done in a modern way, although it wasn't as ambitious like DN2 IMO.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 26 April 2019 - 03:10 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostSledgehammer, on 26 April 2019 - 03:09 AM, said:

DN1 itself is rather quite average as a platformer and was good for its time no doubt, I mean DOS didn't have a lot of good platformers back then. But with DN2 they perfected it, I think it aged well, way better than the first game. But yeah, I would prefer a new Duke platformer, Manhattan Project showed that it can be done in a modern way, although it wasn't as ambitious like DN2 IMO.

I've honestly played DN2 more than DN3D, lol. Might be interesting to recreate it in 3D, kinda like the Castlevania mod for Doom.

IMO, i prefer DN1 over DN2, simply because DN2 has really confusing level design and frustasting sitautions and emeies such as those spiders. DN1 is more fun for to paly though. But i prefer Dn3D overb oth, of course.

View PostjustLMAO, on 25 April 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

Nice to see another game with miniaturization ngl, being shrunk feels comfy

though "Early Access" as a concept in general can get fucked tbhbhtbh, there's like a million Early Access games on Steam that never got finished because dipshits were like TAKE MY MONEY

Oh, do not get me wrong: this is not an endorsement of the game itself, which I have not played anyway. I just like its creative uses of the Shrink Ray and I think a Duke Nukem game should try to follow suit. I also believe focusing exclusively on exotic weaponry would help the series set itself apart from other first-person shooters and also prevent those weapons from getting overshadowed by the usual conventional arsenal (i.e. pistol/shotgun/machine gun/rocket launcher) that you can find in basically every first-person shooter nowadays.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 26 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostGingis Khan, on 26 April 2019 - 04:09 AM, said:

IMO, i prefer DN1 over DN2, simply because DN2 has really confusing level design and frustasting sitautions and emeies such as those spiders. DN1 is more fun for to paly though. But i prefer Dn3D overb oth, of course.

DN1 has its fair share of confusing levels, too. E1L3, the later two mercury mines, any of the more labyrinthine stages... The helicopters are a pain to deal with as you almost never have enough room to properly fight them without being forced to damage boost, there are two or three trap areas that just spawn a horde of the gunner robots where you're pretty much guaranteed to take damage...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

So I am currently playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - I decided to start with this one since it takes place before The New Order - and holy shit! I already thought MachineGames' BJ looked like Duke Nukem without the sunglasses, but hearing him wisecrack and make (anachronistic) popular culture references, he really does come across as a grittier, non-douchy Duke Nukem with a better voice actor (sorry, JSJ, but it is true). Of course, the game really pales in terms of level design, enemies and weapons (especially the weapons), but I can totally see a Duke Nukem game done in TNO/TOB style aesthetically speaking - either played entirely straight or as a parody of MachineGames' games - and with Dishonored-style open-ended levels.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 04 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 04 May 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

either played entirely straight or as a parody

No parodies. Duke games must stand on their own, they don't need other games to copy from.

Additionally, copying other games is why we got DNF in 2011. "Hey, Unreal can make wide areas! Let's scrap the Quake2 version!" "Hey, Doom 3 can do real time lighting! Let's scrap the version we've hyped to hell and back!"

View PostGingis Khan, on 25 April 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

A reboot, you say?
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 April 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

I think it was High Treason that started messing around with a test project of a DN side scroller several years ago. Its doable in Eduke32. That reminds me, I haven't seen a progress report lately from the guy remaking the Manhatten Project.

This post has been edited by Mark: 05 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

View PostAltered Reality, on 05 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

No parodies. Duke games must stand on their own, they don't need other games to copy from.

Well, it is a bit too late for that, as being explicitly derivative has always been kind of Duke's whole shtick.

View PostAltered Reality, on 05 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Additionally, copying other games is why we got DNF in 2011. "Hey, Unreal can make wide areas! Let's scrap the Quake2 version!" "Hey, Doom 3 can do real time lighting! Let's scrap the version we've hyped to hell and back!"

Nah, I would say it was just incompetence.

The original Serious Sam, for instance, reportedly went through several iterations; it started off as a Wolfenstein clone and then evolved into the game we now know because Croteam had been paying close attention to what Id Software and 3D Realms were doing. There is no shame in taking inspiration from others, so long as you are doing it well and not crossing the line between inspiration and plagiarism.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 05 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   Avoozl 

I wouldn't mind a co-op game with Duke and Bombshell.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 05 May 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Well, it is a bit too late for that, as being explicitly derivative has always been kind of Duke's whole shtick.

It's never too late to improve a franchise.

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 May 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

It's never too late to improve a franchise.

I agree, but I do not think Gearbox has any intention of completely reinventing Duke Nukem, if the Duke Nukem 3d's World Tour edition and the Bulletstorm's Duke Nukem DLC are any indication.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 06 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options