• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't know that Bombshell was ever intended to be Duke's "sidekick."

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 February 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

Duke should never, I mean NEVER be the bad guy... Duke is the hero, patriotism runs in his veins. It's already been established, through The Doctor Who Cloned Me, that the Duke running for president was in fact a Dukeinator, so Duke himself has no need to run for president. It was just a move by Proton to take over the country.

Real-life people have done some horrible things in the name of patriotism. Also, Duke Nukem is an unrepentant narcissist; the way Duke Nukem Forever portrayed the world as being uncritically in love with him was super creepy to say the least and it would be interesting to have a game actually satirise that for once. Plus President Duke Nukem would make for a far more compelling main antagonist than Bombshell's Dr. Proton wannabe (no offense, Voidpoint).

As for the Dukinator thing, it could always be retconned in-game by having Duke Nukem Forever be revealed to have all just been a propaganda film, like Hitler's Terror Billy biopic in Wolfenstein II.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 February 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

I don't know that Bombshell was ever intended to be Duke's "sidekick."

https://youtu.be/pVYPHx59JfA?t=27

Sorry, I could not resist. :)

Anyway, I was under the impression from the released material about Duke Nukem Forever that Bombshell was indeed originally intended to be Duke Nukem's sidekick.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

She was a character in the game, but I think "sidekick" is the wrong term.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

In the 8 years since DNF we've had:
2 Shadow Warriors
3 Wolfensteins with 2 more coming
1 Doom with another coming
1 Serious Sam with another coming
1 Quake game
1 horrible Half Life spin off.

In those 8 years, Duke's had more games canceled and removed from sale than he has had released and the only thing released is another port of Duke3D and some half assed cameos in other games.

Someone please give me a reason to believe there's still hope and no TX having lunch with Randy and saying they don't intent to sit on the rights does not count.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostxMobilemux, on 28 February 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

Unnofficial horrible Half Life spin off.

Yeah, because Valve sure as hell ain't gonna touch it again. Half-Life was nothing more than a marketing stunt from a marketing company, merely an incentive to entice people to jump on the Steam train (pun intended) and it worked big time, it worked so well that it self-perpetuates and Gabe doesn't even have to lift a finger.

I await the overly defensive responses by people who, deep down, know they've been suckered in and are a part of the problem.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 28 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 24 February 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

You can rail all you want against the evil SJWs/Commulists/Cultural Marxists/Postmodernists/Globalists/whatever thinly-veiled antisemitic epithet you feel like using today

LMAO shut the fuck up, Chaim.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 February 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

Real-life people have done some horrible things in the name of patriotism.

There are people who have also done amazing things in the name of patriotism, so go subvert some other country, yiddiot.

America will always be great and there's nothing you can ever do to change that. <):^)

This post has been edited by Jimmy 100MPH: 28 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Meh. Even though I am not yet fully sold on Bombshell as a character, I do not want her to go back to being Duke's sidekick.

The only way I would be fine with the two characters existing in the same universe is if they were on opposite sides; for example, after the events of Duke Nukem Forever, Duke Nukem would have become president - and a really bad one at that, as being a total egomaniac/narcissist, he wasted no time trying to reshape the world to his image - and it would be up to Bombshell to stop him. Basically, think of a parody of Wolfenstein: The New Order where Duke Nukem is the bad guy.

So make Duke into Trump basically? GTFO pls.

How much is the Duke Ip worth now even know some of the content that has come from it has been failing.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostLunick, on 28 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

How much money do you think Voidpoint has...?

All the profits were used up buying beer and pizza for those long hours in front of the computer.

https://gifer.com/en/7HNe

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

View PostZaxx, on 28 February 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

So make Duke into Trump basically?

Nah, the Trumpwreck is too childish, inarticulate and incompetent. I was actually thinking of something more sinister and menacing, like Albert Wesker.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 February 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

Oh please, Hunt Down The Freeman is amazing (well, its cutscenes anyway). I mean, it is The Room of video games!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 February 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

What else was she supposed to be, then?

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 01 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostMaster O, on 28 February 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Dunno tbh. You'd have to ask them.

like 24 dollars

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The last version of HDTF is pretty good actually

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 March 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

The last version of HDTF is pretty good actually

Did they redo the entire game from scratch?

Not to that extend, but it is way closer to want was originally planed, and way more playable, although it cannot garanty the fun it should bring to you...

View PostHigh Treason, on 28 February 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

Yeah, because Valve sure as hell ain't gonna touch it again. Half-Life was nothing more than a marketing stunt from a marketing company, merely an incentive to entice people to jump on the Steam train (pun intended) and it worked big time, it worked so well that it self-perpetuates and Gabe doesn't even have to lift a finger.

I await the overly defensive responses by people who, deep down, know they've been suckered in and are a part of the problem.

Valve exist because of Half-Life, Steam exists because of Half-Life 2, Steam is the reason Half-life 3 doesn't exist :)

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 March 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

it is way closer to want was originally planed

a cash grab?

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

See, I hesitate to refer to Hunt Down The Freeman as a cash grab. While the game is terrible, it still seems like a lot of efforts went into its creation; people who simply do not care would not have bothered writing such a convoluted plot nor would they have even bothered going through the extra work of producing so many cutscenes, especially for what is supposed to be a Half-Life game. I sincerely believe that the team behind the game genuinely cared, but simply lacked the talent and resources to successfully match their ambitions.

Anyway, I am honestly surprised at this point that Gearbox has not stepped in and volunteered to finish Half-Life: Episode 3 for Valve.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 02 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

By the time Gearbox stopped working for Valve the relationship between the two companies was not exactly great. You know, with CS Condition Zero and all that.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 02 March 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

See, I hesitate to refer to Hunt Down The Freeman as a cash grab. While the game is terrible, it still seems like a lot of efforts went into its creation; people who simply do not care would not have bothered writing such a convoluted plot nor would they have even bothered going through the extra work of producing so many cutscenes, especially for what is supposed to be a Half-Life game. I sincerely believe that the team behind the game genuinely cared, but simply lacked the talent and resources to successfully match their ambitions.

no, i'm sure the guys that made the models, maps, cutscenes, etc cared about it, but the "main" guy, this Berkan, he just took a jumbled mess of assets (a lot that were stolen, there's even textures from Black Mesa in there), put that in steam and called it a day, the game needed a lot more time to be ready.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

View PostZaxx, on 02 March 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

By the time Gearbox stopped working for Valve the relationship between the two companies was not exactly great. You know, with CS Condition Zero and all that.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Condition Zero.

Which reminds me that it is included in my Platinum Collection pack, but I never touched it, as I just do not care about Counter-Strike or any competitive multiplayer game for that matter.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 02 March 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Condition Zero.

Which reminds me that it is included in my Platinum Collection pack, but I never touched it, as I just do not care about Counter-Strike or any competitive multiplayer game for that matter.

No matter, the final product just updated CS 1.6 with bot-integrated for both SP and MP with some improvements, I prefer Deleted Scene(SP missions only) more than that shit, sadly DS just so ordinary and then Ritual just went dead after few years later with SiN EP1 not sold enough to keep them alive.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 03 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

Reading about these cancelled and botched products, I cannot help but imagine all the great or at the very least interesting video games we could be having if the industry was not so hellbent on chewing up and spitting out its actors. That is why I love modding communities so much; they are not driven by profit and as such they can do whatever they want and take their time doing so. Sure, they are still heavily hampered by having to work within the constraints of real life, but still, it gives us a window on what things could be...

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 03 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View PostxMobilemux, on 28 February 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

In the 8 years since DNF we've had:

What are you referring to, please? If you mean Hunt Down the Freeman, then as MusicallyInspired says, that's not an official release (even if you overlook the *terrible* quality of the product itself), so it doesn't really belong in your list, if you ask me.

I see Hunt Down The Freeman is not the only Half-Life spin-off available on Steam; there is also Prospekt.

Hunt Down THe Freeman is far more ambitious than Prospekt, and have gathered a team were Prospekt was a single man work

• The Sarien Encounter

I've heard equally terrible things about Prospekt.

I watched a review and the cutscenes for HDTF and I wasn't impressed. It didn't feel like Half-Life to me.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 March 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

I watched a review and the cutscenes for HDTF and I wasn't impressed. It didn't feel like Half-Life to me.

cutscenes don't belong in a Half-Life game. the whole point of scripted sequences was that they could do a game without cutscenes

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 March 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Oh, they are not good, do not get me wrong. Although I will say in the game's defense that a couple of scenes do stand out as kind of okay, like the President's radio address scene. Also, whoever they got to voice the G-Man is pretty good, actually, even if he keeps mispronouncing "Black Mesa".

However, the plot itself is so nonsensical and played entirely straight, it is simply hilarious. Again, this game is essentially The Room of video games! :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 04 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options