• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Being Put To Pasture?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Some people think that Duke 3D is a completely serious action game and are blind to the humour and pop references in it.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostTea Monster, on 11 February 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

Some people think that Duke 3D is a completely serious action game and are blind to the humour and pop references in it.

Likewise there are people who think that Duke 3D is only about humour and pop references and are blind to the level design and solid gameplay.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

And the brooding, creepy, and oppressive atmosphere.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostReaperAA, on 11 February 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

Likewise there are people who think that Duke 3D is only about humour and pop references and are blind to the level design and solid gameplay.

Yep, like the 90% of the poor bastards. It's time to chew ass, fail to the king babby, shake it babby... and that's the game.

User is offline   Mark 

To make it relevant today all the posters and graffiti would be replaced by popular meme gifs. :)
"Much Aliens...Such Carnage" says Duke.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I think this belongs here:
https://twitter.com/...189658411745280

Man, now that I think about it a Duke game made by id Software would really be something. Maybe that exists in a parallel universe.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

At one time I would have trusted Raven with the IP.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm one of the 5 people who even liked Wolf 2009 and Singularity from them so I agree, a little more than a decade ago Raven would have made a kickass Duke game.

Right now I think there are 3 studios out there who could do a good job: id Software, MachineGames and maybe People Can Fly. Only PCF is an actual possibility but when it comes to them I simply don't know who is running the show now: a lot of the devs of Painkiller and Bulletstorm moved on to Flying Wild Hog and to other places.

When you think of id's history with Apogee though I feel that Duke would be a natural fit for Bethesda / id Software now. Afaik id has a good relationship with Randy so who knows, maybe after MachineGames is finished with Wolfenstein Bethesda might be interested in buying the IP (and we all know that Randy won't do shit with it so Gearbox might want to sell it off too).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 February 2019 - 04:01 AM

• Polymancer

Someone on Twitter tell Tim to take Randy out to lunch, buy the IP off him and then Id/Beth can reap the rewards of having three classic game characters with modern, successful and lucrative titles on the market at one time.

I don't see Gearbox being able to do anything with the IP, so they might as well make some money off of it by selling it to someone who can.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 15 February 2019 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Bethesda would be worse than Gearbox.

Gearbox is unintentionally a fuck up. Bethesda is an actual bad actor.

User is offline   ---- 

I personally don't think that id (not Bethesda) were a good choice. They have their own strong (read: legendary IPs) and getting Duke would be minor to them. Hell (pun intended), they have Doom and Wolfenstein which are going strong (regardless what one thinks about the recent games themselves).

The only companies I can imagine for a Duke game are smaller, hungry companies that still can produce AA titles. You know, like Flying Wild Hog released a Shadow Warrior game (the second after 2013 doesn't exist). I am not saying it should be Flying Wild Hog, just giving an example. With Hard Reset they had one IP before, but it wasn't too strong, so getting their hands on a well known IP was a good move and they produced a AA game with it (again: regardless of what you think about it in detail).

AFAIK People Can Fly are independant again from EPIC. So they would be a fine choice. But not under the direction of Gearbox who have no idea about shooting mechanics (a looter shooter doesn't need good mechanics for a lot of people to still enjoy it as Borderlands 1 proved (haven't played the later games) but Duke shouldn't be a looter shooter), who have no idea about the character (and addionally cannot allow themselves produce a game that might offend the sissy princesses out there that cry for the social justice police when in a Doom trailer the words "mortally challanged" are used for the demons) and aren't really good at producing games outsourced to 3rd party studios (A:CM anyone?)

SO, my choice would be: People Can Fly under the direction of Devolver (who dare to publish weird, offensive and strange games) and already have experience with publishing a badass (Serious Sam).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 15 February 2019 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, Duke could quickly be put to the wayside at Bethesda if a new game flopped, that's true. They sure don't need the IP, that's true too.

As for Duke going AA: that would be fitting too but Devolver has the same "problem" Bethesda does: they already have their FPS stuff with Serious Sam and Shadow Warrior. On top of that I think that after seeing stuff like DUSK and Ion Maiden Devolver will have another stab at the retro shooter craze with a new, original IP + even though the last Shadow Warrior was pretty shit chances are that FWH is working on SW3. As for Flying Wild Hog themselves: I loved Shadow Warrior 2013 but I'll be very disappointed if they don't improve on their level design with their next game.

And really if the aim is going AA with Duke then that's not worth buying the IP for so for that route our only hope is that now that the movie project failed again Randy will come to his senses and start publishing smaller, retro-styled Duke games = do something with that fucking IP he has.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Unfortunately Shadow Warrior 2 was garbage.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Just like STRAFE so Devolver's involvement doesn't exactly mean a seal of quality for FPS.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 15 February 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

Unfortunately Shadow Warrior 2 was garbage.

Was it?
Shadow Warrior 2013 was just repetitive button smashing & got tedious after awhile. SW 2 looked just like it, so I didn't even bother.

Not hating on SW 2013, just a bit predictable and most levels consisted of fighting a swarm of enemies in large open areas, then walking to the check-point.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 February 2019 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 16 February 2019 - 12:04 AM, said:

Was it?
Shadow Warrior 2013 was just repetitive button smashing & got tedious after awhile. SW 2 looked just like it, so I didn't even bother.

Not hating on SW 2013, just a bit predictable and most levels consisted of fighting a swarm of enemies in large open areas, then walking to the check-point.

Well, SW 2 was way worse because they shoehorned in some badly implemented looter and RPG mechanics. So after every fight you would have to sort through a bunch of junk that dropped, figure out the complicated runing system, decide what incrementally different weapons to use, etc. It wasn't balanced or fun and just made the game tedious.

EDIT: Oh, and there's a quest system, which is an excuse to make the player keep going back to the same maps again and again to do more chores.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 16 February 2019 - 12:18 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

SW 2013 played like Painkiller with key hunting. You'd enter a giant arena and enemies would just come out in hordes and you'd have to kill them. I thought it was boring as shit.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostZaxx, on 15 February 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Randy will come to his senses and start publishing smaller, retro-styled Duke games = do something with that fucking IP he has.

At this point I'd like to see just proper ports of console titles such as Zero Hour, Time To Kill and even Land of the Babes made by competent team (read as people who give a fuck about Duke enough to put some love into making these) so it could be actually optimized and maybe with some additional features and improvements (plus a proper HTTK release), kind of like remaster release. This is all I really wish for and I think it's much more possible unlike proper new Duke Nukem game.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The only issue I have with Shadow Warrior 2 (2013) is its to much oriented coop and too repetitive, not fun unless you play with friend, and never found anyone to play in coop...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Shadow Warrior 2013 might have just been a Painkiller clone, but it was competently made. Shadow Warrior 2 was just a developer chasing trends poorly.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 100MPH: 16 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I never had an issue with SW 2013 running poorly, crashing, or any bug issues. It ran and played well. Just the game-play itself wasn't that exciting after a handful of missions. The formula barely changed.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, SW2013 could be a bit monotonous after a while but the combat had enough depth in it to counter that: the sword was nice, the weapons were balanced around a melee + complimentary weapon usage playstyle and using the environment to your advantage was neat. That kept me intrerested long enough for 2 back to back playthroughs so FWH can make the combat fun, it's just that their level design was lacking a bit for a Shadow Warrior game. I only remember one map where I was impressed with that aspect (the one with the gas mask, that was really well done).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 16 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

• Polymancer

I thought that the sword mechanic in 2013 was good fun. It did get repetitive after a while. I've got SW2 but I haven't played it yet. I never had any performance issues.

I thought that Painkiller got monotonous extremely quickly. I was playing on co-op and we got stuck in the opera house level. I don't know if it was a co-op bug or we just didn't figure it out. We didn't bother pursuing it after that.

Bethsoft have made quite a few boo-boos and have issued some buggy games, but their single-player stuff by id and Machine Games are very much on point. Duke would be in some safe hands with either of those two devs. Both have proven that they can take an old-school game IP and make a cracking modern shooter out of it.

I don't see Randy getting rid of the franchise anytime soon, which is a shame as I don't think that Gearbox has it in them to make a decent Duke game. I don't see them having either the will or the ability. Their best avenue to accomplish a Duke game would be to get a good, up-and-coming developer. Either put some of the old Duke3D team onto overseeing the game, or just stand well back and let the new guys get on with it. No more ACM fiascoes, please!

I do not get why people refer to Duke Nukem as "politically incorrect", as all he does is make pop culture references and objectify women. Not just that, but he does not use slurs beyond the occasional "fuck" or "shit" nor does he do anything to challenge the statu quo.... That is some incredibly mainstream shit there; back in the 90s, that sort of character was pretty much the norm.

You can rail all you want against the evil SJWs/Commulists/Cultural Marxists/Postmodernists/Globalists/whatever thinly-veiled antisemitic epithet you feel like using today, the problem with Duke Nukem in this day and age is just that he is an incredibly forgettable character that owes its popularity to having been voiced by a memorable voice-actor and more importantly the protagonist of a successful 90s video game. As such, I would argue that the world needs Duke Nukem as much as it needs, I do not know, whatever the SiN protagonist's name is.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 24 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

He's still the King to me, dammit!

Posted Image

User is offline   Master O 

View PostTea Monster, on 15 February 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

Someone on Twitter tell Tim to take Randy out to lunch, buy the IP off him and then Id/Beth can reap the rewards of having three classic game characters with modern, successful and lucrative titles on the market at one time.

I don't see Gearbox being able to do anything with the IP, so they might as well make some money off of it by selling it to someone who can.

Or better yet, sell the IP to Voidpoint.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMaster O, on 28 February 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

Or better yet, sell the IP to Voidpoint.

How much money do you think Voidpoint has...?

Meh. Even though I am not yet fully sold on Bombshell as a character, I do not want her to go back to being Duke's sidekick.

The only way I would be fine with the two characters existing in the same universe is if they were on opposite sides; for example, after the events of Duke Nukem Forever, Duke Nukem would have become president - and a really bad one at that, as being a total egomaniac/narcissist, he wasted no time trying to reshape the world to his image - and it would be up to Bombshell to stop him. Basically, think of a parody of Wolfenstein: The New Order where Duke Nukem is the bad guy.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Meh. Even though I am not yet fully sold on Bombshell as a character, I do not want her to go back to being Duke's sidekick.

The only way I would be fine with the two characters existing in the same universe is if they were on opposite sides; for example, after the events of Duke Nukem Forever, Duke Nukem would have become president - and a really bad one at that, as being a total egomaniac/narcissist, he wasted no time trying to reshape the world to his image - and it would be up to Bombshell to stop him. Basically, think of a parody of Wolfenstein: The New Order where Duke Nukem is the bad guy.

A.K.A: How to ruin two franchises 101.

Duke should never, I mean NEVER be the bad guy... unless it's an evil clone/Dukeinator, or a game from the perspective of the aliens. Duke is the hero, patriotism runs in his veins. It's already been established, through The Doctor Who Cloned Me, that the Duke running for president was in fact a Dukeinator, so Duke himself has no need to run for president. It was just a move by Proton to take over the country. Bombshell and Duke could make an interesting team without her being reduced to 'sidekick,' think Tango & Cash, in that they were different people, but shared the spotlight of lead character. Neither one was reduced to sidekick. There's a way it could work, but it more than likely won't, simply due to the fact the rights aren't held by the same people.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostLunick, on 28 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

How much money do you think Voidpoint has...?

Dunno tbh. You'd have to ask them.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options