Duke4.net Forums: NBlood - Blood port running on EDuke32 engine - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NBlood - Blood port running on EDuke32 engine

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

Release Thread
Download
Source code

Hi.
I'm happy to announce my next project: Nuked Blood(or just NBlood). I've been working hard on it since the Rednukem was released. First and likely hardest milestone was completed recently so i'll definitely won't throw this project away.
This port is running on EDuke32 engine and will inherit various features from it. The other planned features are multiplayer(using sync based model at first), demo compatiblity and OPL3(Sound Blaster/AdLib) emulation for authentic FM music.
So, what's estimated release date? I hope to release first public test version in January or February 2019.
Fell free to write here your thoughts about this port. Also i'd like to know which features you want to see implemented.
Merry Christmas!

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 04 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

User is offline   HellFire 

Awesome, knowing you're the one behind it, i'm sure it will have outstanding quality.
Just out of curiosity, are you going the GDX route (basing it from the leaked alpha and then RE'ing the rest) ?
Also, cool source port name, specially if abreviated :)

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Another BloodCM? j/k

So basically you're reverse engineering Blood as well? And how will it work? I understand it was easier for Redneck Rampage as it was Duke TC, but Blood? Does it mean you have to recreate the game in eduke32?

User is offline   axl 

Damn, more than 20 years nothing and then suddenly... BloodGDX, an official Blood Remaster and now another port ? Good times indeed.

Couple of questions :

1. Is your RR port still under development ?
2. I was under the impression that your work for RR was eventually to be officialized under EDuke32 ? Is this going to be the same case with your Blood port ? Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

User is offline   VGA 

Well if it reaches the accuracy and features of BloodGDX but on a more stable engine and open source, then it will be awesome. But that's a long road :)

View PostHellFire, on 24 December 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Awesome, knowing you're the one behind it, i'm sure it will have outstanding quality.
Just out of curiosity, are you going the GDX route (basing it from the leaked alpha and then RE'ing the rest) ?
Also, cool source port name, specially if abreviated :)

It's not based on leaked alpha. :(

View PostDzierzan, on 24 December 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Another BloodCM? j/k

So basically you're reverse engineering Blood as well? And how will it work? I understand it was easier for Redneck Rampage as it was Duke TC, but Blood? Does it mean you have to recreate the game in eduke32?

It's based on reverse engineered code so NBlood is an actual port running on Build engine unlike Blood EX.

View Postaxl, on 24 December 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Damn, more than 20 years nothing and then suddenly... BloodGDX, an official Blood Remaster and now another port ? Good times indeed.

Couple of questions :

1. Is your RR port still under development ?
2. I was under the impression that your work for RR was eventually to be officialized under EDuke32 ? Is this going to be the same case with your Blood port ? Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

1. Not much work was done actually since it's release
2. RR support is planned for EDuke32 using Rednukem as a basis

User is offline   Manhs 

Based only on reverse engineered since the start then!

Did you find a legal way to make it? I remember m210 didnt care about it because he is Russian. I suppose since there will be a remaster with Kex engine, Atari could be angry about some ports xD
But if you are in a country who dont care about copyrights and can carry you (like Russia and m210), you don't have to worry about it?

People will have their choice at least, in case. Modding will be possible in your port then? (since it's running on eduke32)
Do you plan to add new stuff like modes or better tools?

For the multiplayer, dosbox has the flaw to be not so stable, can deysnch and if 5 people are in the same server, they will have the ping of the guy who has the biggest lag to get more stability for the synchro right? Is there a way to fix it on build engine system only? Like, everyone who has their own ping. (i remember in blood mp, people told me that).

This post has been edited by Manhs: 25 December 2018 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostManhs, on 25 December 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

Based only on reverse engineered since the start then!

Did you find a legal way to make it?

There is a proper way to reverse engineer proprietary software called clean room reverse engineering.

I remember m210 didnt care about it because he is Russian.

Let's not make generalisations based on nationality please. That aside, as far as I understand it the major problem with BloodGDX is that it is partially based on the leaked alpha code which is 100% illegal no matter what.

I suppose since there will be a remaster with Kex engine, Atari could be angry about some ports xD

How so? Unless they aim to take down the DOSBox version either there's no real reason to oppose community-based engine recreations? (I mean, it's not that the game is not playable in its current state).

User is offline   Manhs 

I say Russia because some countries won't punish you if you do some copyrights infrigement even if the company of another country call for it (apparently but not sure, some people told me that), but i think some other countries do the same?
So if he made it without any alpha sourcecode or others, his port will be legal? Atari won't have the possibility to C&D him?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I wouldn't care about actual legality at this point, C&D is just a bully tactic that can squash even properly legally done projects, as long as they can tie it to lost sales and piracy somehow.

Getting C&D should be least of your issues and smartest move is to just play it safe and simply not make a big noise.
Projects can go under wraps for years and years before it goes viral and coupled with bad timing it can lead to a sudden closure, no matter the country or scope of the project.

Question of legality is more about a company sitting/hoarding over a dead and beaten thing in this case, akin to domain squatting almost (honestly, state is worse than Duke)
I bet the actual devs are more than happy to see some actual stuff being done for it and it is probably the best respect that could be applied to the game.
Their hands are often tied and don't have any say on things.

At least you can support the game with a good port and maybe even boosting some sales figures. Still illegal? Yeah, sure.

User is offline   Manhs 

I see, if you make a port but can make it without adding any material from the original game, it's legal, right?
Like sprites, musics, code from alpha or others....
i suppose the launchers who are made for BLOOD are legal? just custom launcher, nothing more, i found some for BLOOD.
It must be hard, i heard doing that for BLOOD was a big pain but still possible then

This post has been edited by Manhs: 26 December 2018 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   leilei 

Could always just call it Nood to avoid potential trademark issues. :)

or maybe a classic recursive acronym like Caleb (as in "Caleb Ain't Like Emulating Bl**d")

This post has been edited by leilei: 26 December 2018 - 07:31 AM

Posted Image
I live again

User is offline   axl 

My god, you work fast !

Afterwards, you can start immediately with porting Shadow Warrior to EDuke32 :)

User is offline   Master O 

View PostNukeYKT, on 26 December 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

Posted Image
I live again

*kidnaps NukeYKT and forces him to add Shadow Warrior, which was open sourced many years ago, into Eduke32.

View PostNukeYKT, on 24 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Hi.
I'm happy to announce my next project: Nuked Blood(or just NBlood). I've been working hard on it since the Rednukem was released. First and likely hardest milestone was completed recently so i'll definitely won't throw this project away.
This port is running on EDuke32 engine and will inherit various features from it. The other planned features are multiplayer(using sync based model at first), demo compatiblity and OPL3(Sound Blaster/AdLib) emulation for authentic FM music.
So, what's estimated release date? I hope to release first public test version in January or February 2019.
Fell free to write here your thoughts about this port. Also i'd like to know which features you want to see implemented.
Merry Christmas!

Don't forget to add FLAC, mp3, and .ogg file support for the CD Audio. The GOG edition of One Unit Whole Blood supplies the CD music as .ogg files.

This post has been edited by Master O: 26 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNukeYKT, on 24 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

I'm happy to announce my next project: Nuked Blood(or just NBlood).

Posted Image

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 December 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

Let's not make generalisations based on nationality please.

Manhs doesn't mean his ethnicity, he means the insulated legal reality of living in the Russian Federation.

View Postaxl, on 26 December 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

Afterwards, you can start immediately with porting Shadow Warrior to EDuke32 :)

View PostMaster O, on 26 December 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

*kidnaps NukeYKT and forces him to add Shadow Warrior, which was open sourced many years ago, into Eduke32.

Never change, guys.

View PostMaster O, on 26 December 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

Don't forget to add FLAC, mp3, and .ogg file support for the CD Audio. The GOG edition of One Unit Whole Blood supplies the CD music as .ogg files.

By using EDuke32's audiolib, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are already supported. It is just a matter of trying to load a certain filename pattern when CD tracks are requested. For example, in VoidSW I look for "trackXX.ogg" and "MUSIC/TrackXX.ogg", which covers all Steam, GOG, and 3DRealms.com releases.

Now that all MP3 patents have expired, I don't think there is anything technically or legally stopping us from adding support for the format as long as we can find a permissively-licensed library for it. On the other hand, if no official Blood release comes with MP3s, I do not want to add support for MP3s because it's a bad format that I do not want to encourage users to use.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 December 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Manhs doesn't mean his ethnicity, he means the insulated legal reality of living in the Russian Federation.

Never change, guys.

By using EDuke32's audiolib, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are already supported. It is just a matter of trying to load a certain filename pattern when CD tracks are requested. For example, in VoidSW I look for "trackXX.ogg" and "MUSIC/TrackXX.ogg", which covers all Steam, GOG, and 3DRealms.com releases.

Now that all MP3 patents have expired, I don't think there is anything technically or legally stopping us from adding support for the format as long as we can find a permissively-licensed library for it. On the other hand, if no official Blood release comes with MP3s, I do not want to add support for MP3s because it's a bad format that I do not want to encourage users to use.

If NukeYKT's work on Blood is deemed sufficient enough, would it be incorporated into the main eduke32 codebase?

User is offline   Manhs 

Will it be possible to add new modes like survival or anything in MP/SP who can be "new"?
I like original BLOOD stuff but adding modes/mods who can allow more replayability can be really cool!
First version will be like beta when we will test it? Close to v1?
Good luck ^^

Anyway yeah, i prefered the official stuff coming but not like if Atari was gonna invest with Warner in new stuff for BLOOD, feel like the official port is gonna be too....vanilla :x

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Another week, another Blood port, an embarrassment of riches! :)

E1M1 gameplay footage

User is online   Tekedon 

Not bad.. not bad at all :)

User is offline   axl 

Impressive ... to say the least !

Blood running on EDuke32 is, in my opinion the best thing that can happen. I'm still going to purchase BloodEX, but this is still something better, as it will run on its "home" engine.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

... and actually runs content created for it :)

User is online   Mark 

Am I correct in assuming that it runs maps with effectors that are still the original ones made in Blood's mapedit program and then converted to Eduke32 effectors by your port? How are we going to duplicate those effectors when making maps for this in Mapster32? Or was the goal of this project only playing maps created originally in mapedit?

BTW, great work.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

User is offline   Manhs 

Nice, the colors looks like the same as dosbox! specially when we wake up of the grave, on gdx, the boards on the sides are yellow/orange but on dosbox, it's red/orange like in the video You made, awesome!
Yeah same as you Axl, i will buy BloodEX, to support the game (in case) and if there is some special graphics options or others, will see.

View PostMark, on 27 December 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Am I correct in assuming that it runs maps with effectors that are still the original ones made in Blood's mapedit program and then converted to Eduke32 effectors by your port? How are we going to duplicate those effectors when making maps for this in Mapster32? Or was the goal of this project only playing maps created originally in mapedit?

NBlood supports only Blood format maps. Blood related code in my port is not based on EDuke32's Duke 3D code. It's all new code based on RE. EDuke32 codebase internally consist of multiple modules: Duke 3d code(CON and Duke's SE are here), Build engine, Audio library and other smaller modules. My port basically replaces Duke 3D module entirely with a Blood code.

User is online   Tekedon 

So when this is released you can play maps made in mapedit for Blood in NBlood? Correct? How about addons or stuff like "weapons mod" existing for Blood, the latest version of "weapons mod" use a hexedited blood.exe.

User is offline   Manhs 

Yeah , i think he said you can use the old expansions ^^
with the video, i must say im hyped. Seeing real colors with good render and smoother gameplay is perfect ^^ feel like the original atmosphere
even if it's far for now, multiplayer and all, it will be cool :)

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I am pretty sure my and NoOne's mod (Weapons Mod) won't work due hacking. So it will be have to be remade for NBlood.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options