Duke4.net Forums: Modern "retro" FPS corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modern "retro" FPS corner  "For some more general discussion, news etc. in one place"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Probably. Nonetheless since you brought up the idea I actually do wonder quite a bit now what some of these throwback shooters would look like if they were commerical add-ons...

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 19 October 2021 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Remember that "Quake made in ten days" project? The author is now making a full game out of it:

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I knew he would. It's Nash after all - that guy already pulled off quite a few awesome Doom mods. Some smaller, others bigger, but always nice stuff. There's no doubt in my mind this is going to be a nice Quake clone, even if it's a steep learning curve for him. E.g. he knew nothing about level design before this.

The free Goodies dlc for Dusk is out, containing betas, cut music, and even a very interesting question asked by Stephan Weyte in the "Voice Lines" folder, whose file name will make you want to lower your volume ;)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 11 December 2021 - 11:09 AM

This looks interesting:
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=19&t=73234

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy Dusk and Ultrakill or Dusk and C&C Remastered Collection on Steam before the sale ends. Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 December 2021 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm trying to decided if I want to buy Dusk and Ultrakill or Dusk and C&C Remastered Collection on Steam before the sale ends. Any suggestions?

Ultrakill is unfinished right? Dusk is complete and i guess C&C also is so i'll say get those. But i'm warning you that i'm a bit biased against Early Access since i bought Wrath, that game has been pushed back too many times :wallbash:

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 30 December 2021 - 01:49 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes I was just reading a while ago all the negative reviews which breaks my heart. Wrath looked right up my alley. But I'm not dropping money on it at this point. Such a shame.

If there is no way to buy the remastered C&C soundtrack separately, then go for the Remastered Collection. The music is the best part of it, with all due respect to the people who updated the graphics. AI upscaled cinematics are mostly meh IMO, which is a shame really.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 December 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

Yes I was just reading a while ago all the negative reviews which breaks my heart. Wrath looked right up my alley. But I'm not dropping money on it at this point. Such a shame.

I don't really get how Killpixel even got contracted to make this game because honestly he only had one half finished map for Quake and literally nothing else AFAIK. Did he even have a prototype or just some vague concepts? Anyone know? It's so poorly designed IMO. The maps are huge but with no sense of progression, the enemies are boring with crap AI and the limited save system is a terrible choice for a game like this.

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 31 December 2021 - 03:30 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I ended up getting Dusk and Ultrakill. Feels good to have the trilogy. I wanted to support a good set of remasters like C&C but I'm not really going to be playing it that much the more I thought about it. Another time.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 December 2021 - 09:10 AM, said:

I ended up getting Dusk and Ultrakill. Feels good to have the trilogy. I wanted to support a good set of remasters like C&C but I'm not really going to be playing it that much the more I thought about it. Another time.

Good choice. I don't like Ultrakill that much (I don't enjoy this subgenre of fps). But Dusk is really fun to play (even if I don't like how it looks aesthetically).

I watched a video of Hellbound:

Gave me a rather strong Will Rock vide, but without the charm of the Fantasy Ancient Grome setting. The game seems competently done and with a clear artistic direction, but I just don't find the atmosphere particularly appealing.

• The Sarien Encounter

I got it in the Boomer Shooter bundle. Haven't tried it yet though.

From the same channel, I watched some gameplay of ASKE:

It tries to mimic Quake quite obviously, but the level design appears kind of bland. I mean, this is certainly something you could see in usermaps (or in dozens of derivative games), but the classic Quake shareware levels alone have way more depth that this. Makes one realise how felicitous it was for id Software to have both Carmack's tech genius and Romero's talent for putting the engine's capabilities to good use gameplay-wise.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

You can't just slap a generic aesthetic on a game and think you have gold.

"It's low poly with chunky pixels."

Like, people can besmirch Dusk all they want, but it is ultimately more than the sum of its parts with a raising tension, increasingly varied level design, unique enemy designs, and a cohesive design.

Most of these "Quake inspired" games seem to think that just having chunk pixels is all you need. It really isn't. Level design needs to really reward the player. Watching both Incision and Aske I got the same vibe, which is "train track." The level design does not really require much thinking on the players part, and there's a lack of verticality/flow-through. Romero made his shit wrap around and come out in different spots. Same for Levelord and Blum with Duke 3D.

• banned!

Anyone wanna make a list of games that are actually finished at this point? Besides the obvious ones like Dusk, IF, Amid Evil, etc. There's a crap ton of early access projects that I don't care about, but I'll play anything that's finished.

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 19 September 2022 - 10:26 AM

I can no longer edit my old posts, but it seems that the list in the first post of this thread still reflects the release status of games pretty accurately (i. e. none of the WIPs from back then reached full released game status), if that's of any help. But of course the list is fairly incomplete.

• banned!

That list would be 5 times as long now. But yeah.

From the Realms Deep livestreams I learned of a game called Compound Fracture. It's Dino Crisis in first person. For some reason I like its atmosphere.

Most other things looked boring.

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 19 September 2022 - 02:22 PM

View PostThrice Cursed, on 19 September 2022 - 10:26 AM, said:

Anyone wanna make a list of games that are actually finished at this point? Besides the obvious ones like Dusk, IF, Amid Evil, etc. There's a crap ton of early access projects that I don't care about, but I'll play anything that's finished.

I feel like we need just a huge god damn list of these boomer shooters, what their inspirations are, and when they're supposed to be coming out. I guess this topic has already talked about Hedon and that one guro game. I guess if Harmony in the OP counts, we also have Action Doom 2, but both those games predate the boomer shooter craze. Project Citadel, I think? Never really played it.
Two games that you probably haven't heard of:
https://store.steamp...tmare_of_Decay/
https://store.steamp..._Gates_of_Hell/
First is seemingly Resident Evil as a FPS and is supposed to be good. The second is akin to a Lucio Fulci film, but as a FPS.

• banned!

First game looks cool, man. Thanks.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostThrice Cursed, on 19 September 2022 - 10:26 AM, said:

It appears that Prodeus is hitting version 1.0 full release on September 23rd, so there's one that's leaving early access.

• banned!

View PostMalgon, on 19 September 2022 - 11:33 PM, said:

It appears that Prodeus is hitting version 1.0 full release on September 23rd, so there's one that's leaving early access.

Review from Steam (not in response to you, but for other people):

You cannot save the game
That is the main reason not to purchase. To be more precise, there are no mid-level saves. The campaign will only save meta-progress, i.e., if you beat a level. This has several implications gravely detrimental to the game:
Progress wipes
Always-on god mode
No challenge
Progress wipes
If you cannot play a complete level all the way through in a single sitting, your progress is wiped. Want to spend 15 minutes blasting away in, for instance, a user-made level before bed? You'll probably pass, as you'll likely lose all progress; and it's not fun to keep restarting a level just because you can't save the game.

Always-on god mode
Another detrimental implication of being unable to save the game. In more detail, the developers have forced a zero-repercussion checkpoint system on all players: if you die, you teleport to the nearest checkpoint but enemies remain dead and health is completely restored. So you'll likely encounter a situation like this many times: you'll hit a checkpoint preceding a difficult fight, die, and immediately respawn right behind the enemy who killed you. That might happen repeatedly. In fact, "die and respawn" is indistinguishable from "teleport a few feet away and restore health". Just keep blasting away at everything, since you cannot lose the level.

No challenge
A consequence of the checkpoint system. You cannot, for instance, retry a challenging part of the level (without starting the level from scratch). As it turns out, the challenge is merely theoretical: if there were no always-on god mode, the game would be challenging. But it's not. (Just to be clear, death isn't truly a 'zero'-repercussion affair. There is what one might call an indirect or meta-repercussion: your score goes down. (Yes, the game scores you, but there is no indication of how the score is calculated.))

Should you buy?
The moment-to-moment shooting is fun. But due to the atrocious save system, unless you have a lot of time on your hands and intend to replay levels over and over, on the whole the game is not fun. Moreover, the developers, who regularly read and communicate on the Steam forums, have intentionally refused to comment (they have not even stated that they won't comment) on the lack of saves and on the widely-ridiculed and frequently-questioned checkpoint system. Consider that a clear indication of how problematic the system is. For these reasons, I recommend that most people do not buy .

(Personally find this really annoying)

• banned!

Wrath's save system is terrible too come to think of it. What are these people thinking? I'm old and overworked. I wanna be able to pick these games up and play whenever I want, then save and continue later. No need to innovate in this regard.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 19 September 2022 - 02:45 PM, said:

I feel like we need just a huge god damn list of these boomer shooters, what their inspirations are, and when they're supposed to be coming out. I guess this topic has already talked about Hedon and that one guro game

Which game? The Citadel? because that was not a Guro game at all. That was just Icarus being a fucking idiot. Funny how people don't complain on the absolute gorefest that is Doom Eternal but the moment it is anime characters oh that is too far.

Icarus fucking over Citadel will always be a point of contention for me. Because the game is pretty damn good. It's a projectile based FPS that reminds me of a more tactical oriented Marathon. It's a damn shame the internet almost bullied the dev to quit. Thankfully we are getting Citadel 2 and it looks pretty great.

EDIT: Also fuck all boomer shooter youtubers. I think the only one I remotely like this days is Civvie and even he grinds my gears sometimes.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 20 September 2022 - 11:25 AM

View Postjkas789, on 20 September 2022 - 11:22 AM, said:

Which game? The Citadel? because that was not a Guro game at all. That was just Icarus being a fucking idiot. Funny how people don't complain on the absolute gorefest that is Doom Eternal but the moment it is anime characters oh that is too far.

Icarus fucking over Citadel will always be a point of contention for me. Because the game is pretty damn good. It's a projectile based FPS that reminds me of a more tactical oriented Marathon. It's a damn shame the internet almost bullied the dev to quit. Thankfully we are getting Citadel 2 and it looks pretty great.

EDIT: Also fuck all boomer shooter youtubers. I think the only one I remotely like this days is Civvie and even he grinds my gears sometimes.

Fair enough, its not something I have played or am likely to play anytime soon, so I forgot about it except for that particular bit. Happens with some of the best. Seems like even Icarus isn't fond of that review anymore since its gone.

TBH, I find I don't really care much about Youtuber opinions these days in general. They can be very entertaining, but don't offer very good critics of things, or that they're not very good at playing games.

Played the first level of Prodeus. I feel like these guys only made it a "retro" shooter because what they were actually doing wouldn't have sold as well. Its a very '00s kind of shooter, at least the kind that still had medikits. I think it would have worked better if they didn't add the elements the game has that feels like an over the top attempt at being "retro", like the weird pixel thing the sprites have going on by default. Outside of that, I feel a little Jedi Knight influence in this game, from the way the shotgun works to the way the secrets are designed. Seems easy, possibly too easy, since you apparently don't lose anything by dying. Even so I only died once...by doing what I thought was jumping to a secret ledge. I also had full ammo most of the time.
It seems good at first impression. Fun, but nothing too terrible or exciting.

• The Truth is in here

Prodeus is a game that I'll definitely buy, but not at full price (even though it's already not too expensive to begin with). For a 5h campaign I am not willing to pay more than 5-10 bucks.

*UPDATE*
Bought it after all, a special offer came up on short notice for under 7 bucks. Played the first level on Medium and can't say I wasn't entertained. You have absolutely no clue who/where you are or which greater goal you are supposed to accomplish, but after a few gory kills, it doesn't really matter any more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 September 2022 - 07:41 AM

• The Truth is in here

Btw, did I see this correctly? There's a MIDI soundtrack for Prodeus composed by James "Jimmy" Paddock from the DOOM community?
(Apparently there is an option in the game to switch from digitized music to MIDI. However, it seems it won't work with your native MIDI synth, it's just OGG recordings of MIDI playbacks.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 September 2022 - 01:42 AM

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options