Duke4.net Forums: CON coding problems. - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CON coding problems.  "Improvements and progress."

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

I can not define night vision goggles for invisible enemies. The code is not correct.

Otherwise for the code of "great armor" I found the line that defines the custom hp:

define BLUE_SHIELD_AMOUNT 140
define RED_SHIELD_AMOUNT 180
define ORANGE_SHIELD_AMOUNT 200

useractor notenemy RED_SHIELD_DRESS
  ifmove RESPAWN_ACTOR_FLAG
    state respawnit
  else
    ifp pshrunk nullop
    else
      ifp palive
        ifcount 6
          ifpdistl RETRIEVEDISTANCE
            ifpinventory GET_SHIELD RED_SHIELD_AMOUNT
              ifcanseetarget
      {
        setplayer[THISACTOR].max_shield_amount 180
        addinventory GET_SHIELD RED_SHIELD_AMOUNT
        quote 38
        ifspawnedby RED_SHIELD_DRESS
          state getcode
        else
          state quikget
      }
enda

useractor notenemy BLUE_SHIELD_DRESS
    state respawnit
  else
    ifp pshrunk nullop
    else
      ifp palive
        ifcount 6
            ifpinventory GET_SHIELD BLUE_SHIELD_AMOUNT
              ifcanseetarget
      {
        setplayer[THISACTOR].max_shield_amount 140
        addinventory GET_SHIELD BLUE_SHIELD_AMOUNT
        quote 38
        ifspawnedby BLUE_SHIELD_DRESS
          state getcode
        else
          state quikget
      }
enda

useractor notenemy ORANGE_SHIELD_DRESS
    state respawnit
  else
    ifp pshrunk nullop
    else
      ifp palive
        ifcount 6
            ifpinventory GET_SHIELD ORANGE_SHIELD_AMOUNT
              ifcanseetarget
      {
        setplayer[THISACTOR].max_shield_amount 200
        addinventory GET_SHIELD ORANGE_SHIELD_AMOUNT
        quote 38
        ifspawnedby ORANGE_SHIELD_DRESS
          state getcode
        else
          state quikget
      }
enda

Explanation! The orange shield has the percentage of hp at the maximum (200hp). The red shield (180hp) and blue shield (140hp). What I would like to do is avoid picking up the others shields when Duke finds the one in orange (200hp). I would also like this same shield can be replaced by another, only if Duke at a percentage of 100hp (classic game). You see ?

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 17 October 2019 - 01:58 PM

I have a question about these two weapons: shrinker and expander. I noticed that the selection of these weapons picked up in the game is not correct. When you pick up the shrinker, you can select the expander at the same time, without even picking it up. The opposite works well however.

My question is this one. Is it wise to look at and modify some files in the "samples" folder to try to fix this "bug"? I tried to correct this in the GAME.CON file, without result.

There must be a thread that talks about it or a mod that has already corrected that.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 18 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

The line of code I found for the invisible enemies and objects of the DukePlus version is mainly this one:

ifvare pal 66 spritepal 66
  ifspritepal 66
  {
	  getplayer[THISACTOR].heat_on temp
	  ifvare temp 0 break
  }

So by testing this in mine, it (obviously) did not work. I do not know how to make it work. I often look at the wiki, but I have no precision or example.

My code is roughly this one:

state invisiblecode
  ifspritepal 11
  cstat 33024
ends

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
  { switch sprite[THISACTOR].picnum
  case LIZTROOP
  case LIZTROOPRUNNING
  case LIZTROOPSTAYPUT
  case LIZTROOPSHOOT
  case LIZTROOPJETPACK
  case LIZTROOPONTOILET
  case LIZTROOPJUSTSIT
  case LIZTROOPDUCKING
    state invisiblecode
  break
  endswitch
  }
endevent

Conclusion: I tested the line of code of "DukePlus" in these lines and even in an "actor enemy" I have of course forgotten values ​​and code conditions for this.

While waiting for answers for one of my unpatched problems, I will add the unpublished enemies of the GBA version.

I got a new functional PC and now I will be able to continue my coding work.

The latest issues on this thread have not been fixed yet.

I posted another useless thread for a game-related problem directly. Since I changed my PC, Eduke32 is no longer working properly. I have bugs related to the GAME.CON file. is it related to the motherboard?

The coding will be pending, as long as I have not fixed my PC problem.

I did a last test on my old PC, and the result is the same. The origin of my problem is related to the GAME.CON file and I had to change or delete some things that I should not have done. I notice that the bugs only concern the LIZTROOP monster with the part of the "RESPAWN LOTAG" coding that Dan helped me to correct. There is an inexplicable boredom on that side.

The problem has been fixed. There was an ill-defined gamevar in much of the coding.

User is online   Mark 

...and the crowd cheered :o

Hi Mark!

Do you have an idea for the problem of invisible enemies?

User is online   Mark 

No. I never tried using them in my projects.

Okay ! I will try instead to define my custom shields

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 01 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

Coding of the enemies of the GBA version.

The first is the hybrid and I have two or three things left to finish it.

- the possibility of resuscitating other enemies.

- Define the new projectile so that it is like that of the octabrain. When Duke gets killed, he explodes instead of falling to the ground. The projectile is set to "WORKSLIKE 2" which is the RPG. Make sure this value is stopped.

Add sounds for the enemy.

Hello!

I come back on this thread to try to correct the problem of invisible monsters. I still have not managed to make them visible only with the night vision goggles.

I looked in the DukePlus script and I'm lost in the coding. There is a lot of gamevar. I still have not managed to code the invisible monsters.

I still encountered an unexpected problem. This time, impossible to know why it does not work anymore. Shit! I really do not have a chance. :lol:

All my Liztroop, refuse to be killed at the time of their teleportation phase. However, Darkus corrected this problem and it worked very well all along. I do not understand why at some point, some codes do not work, while I change or add other things that have nothing to do.

Here is the code. Also hoping that I have help again on this forum, because it becomes frustrating to fend for yourself, during difficult times.

// at the end of the state

state troophidestate

ifaction ATROOPABOUTHIDE
    { ifactioncount 2
      { action ATROOPHIDE
        cstat 0
        break
      }
      else
      ifhitweapon
        state checktroophit
    }

state troopcode

else
  ifai AITROOPHIDE
  { state troophidestate
    break
  }

I tried of course to correct that. When I remove the "break" value of the state "troopcode" and when I add the value "257" to the "cstat" of "troophidestate" it correctly affects the enemy with the weapons. Only alone to the last problem! When the enemy is killed while teleporting, he dies while keeping the value "sizeto" (... a crushed Liztroop-sprite!).

Thank you please, someone still chastised to help me.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I will try to explain why it's getting harder for you to find people willing to help you. It's not because we are mean.

We know that you have inserted code in many different places to try to do many different things. We also know that you are lacking in fundamental programming skills and concepts. When you are given code, you paste it in without really understanding what it does or how it works. Therefore, you can't successfully modify code you are given or use it in a different context without breaking something. We also don't have confidence that you can identify code that is causing problems; therefore, when you post a snippet of code like the one above, we have no way of knowing whether it's relevant. So, even if we give you code that addresses this or that problem or feature, we don't know if you will put it in the right place, or if it will fail to work because of other code you have elsewhere. Even if it does work, you will surely break it later or something else will get broken because you don't have the basic skills needed to identify and fix problems. For these reasons, we have concluded that it is a waste of our time to try to help you.

User is online   Mark 

Also, this is your first mod. You should have started small. It just keeps growing and growing with no end in sight. I know you want to do every cool thing you can think of and have this massive add-on but it has become more than you can handle. I suggest bundle all the good working stuff you have and try to make a release from it. It looks like you have plenty of new features to choose from.

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

I read your messages and my big concern is that I became addicted to this game and all its possibilities. I thought I was doing something simple at the beginning, except that it made me think too many ideas, so I'm going through all the stops. Difficult to finish this mod in reality.

However, despite your warnings, I really tried hard and consulted the wiki a little more each day.

:lol: :) :lol:

I should go back from the beginning, and post only one query at a time...

You say that I lack competence and that I can locate the problems. It is true ! But we must also recognize that sometimes it is quite complex.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 29 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Sounds like you need to use that motivation as fuel for your learning curve, with more organization and discipline is all. You're not less capable than the next guy, but you need to keep that energy focused or you'll just waste it which, realistically, no one wants. I'd suggest trying to channel your passion through one achievement at a time instead of trying to work on many things at once, if that's what you're doing altogether. Don't move on from an effect or feature you're implementing until it's completely bug-free, behaves completely like you wanted and you understand everything you wrote (recognizing random words is different from grasping a language, not just talking coding); that way, if you start with simple stuff you're comfortable with and gradually work your way up, you should naturally pick up on most of the knowledge you're currently asking questions for, and then I guess people will be more available to help you if you ever come to face a credible problem. I can relate to your frustration because I'm probably a way worse coder than you are, but when I'm willing to learn I'll probably follow that pattern just like I did with Build and most everything people get serious about in general, instead of piggybacking, think of the 'give a man a fish...' saying. Don't feel discouraged, take it as motivation to polish your project and skills, kudos for handling the criticism people posted above with maturity and good luck!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 29 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

Thank you for your warnings. I am currently discouraged in my own codings. It is true that I have done too much. I should really group the simple elements and find myself the solution.

This should be encouraging.

User is online   Mark 

You have come so far it would be sad if you can't release your big mod only because of a small bunch of errors. For instance, if errors are in the new features for Nuclear Winter pull those features out and make them for a separate release later just for NW. I'm sure you must be very frustrated and tired after working for so long on this. Trim it and release. You'll feel better and the community will FINALLY get a chance to see your hard work in action. :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Yes, you're right. I will post my mod on my adapted thread. Indeed, a break would do me good.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Man you guys just about broke Firefly's heart. 💔💔💔💔💔

As Trooper Dan was very clear, I have to be serious about my job. They did not want to "break my heart" they gave me very simple advice, because it is true that I have done a lot of coding for many different things. In the end, there is nothing that really bug, except the last post.

I'm going to post the mod, and like that, I'll have some feedback. It is important to have the opinion of the testers.

All the coding that has not been corrected, will be done over time. I'll take a break to think about correctly targeting the flaws.

Mark too is very clear. I'm just going to do that and then I'll see what happens next. Surely if you tested my mod, you would tell me what's going, and what's wrong.

Thank you for your advice guys.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 30 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

User is online   ck3D 

You sound better than most at identifying both your strengths and weaknesses. Your strength is your passion and persistence, your current weakness is (or seems to be) a mere lack of organization, management and planning. From the sound of your posts, to me you regularly come off as someone so eager to create, they never make the time to sit and plan or clean up past work due to always being onto the next thing. The good side is actually a positive trait, but one that only gets to really shine and bear fruits once you've learned to manage it; think of it as overtraining in sports where your body actually low-key needs some time to let the work you've done on it sink in - sure, technically you can go out and perform every single day for hours, but that's also the best way to completely burn out and ruin your potential. Realistically, one gets better results performing once every two or three days.

I've expressed it before but I for one am curious about your work, enjoying the updates and looking forward to giving your mod a try. And I have no doubt that you will make it, for there's no reason that you won't, you just need a direction to sort out the confusion. I have no idea what your code physically looks like but you've already done so much, maybe you should pause the writing of new features for now and isolate and archive everything you've written so far for every individual feature that works flawlessly in some kind of personal catalog or backlog. That way I'm sure in the process you would yourself identify bits of code you might not have understood in the first place, or lines that maybe interfere. That wouldn't be stalling and still qualify as progress as essentially, something like this would just result in you naturally cleaning up and optimizing your code, and learning new things from your own work only to end up with clearer data to work with from now on, as well as a better understanding of what you're doing, both of which should make whatever is left of your working process a lot easier, efficient and more enjoyable. With as much confusion as possible out of the way, you'll probably get your mod done exponentially faster.

It's also OK to take a break if you need it (again, think overtraining, creativity also shouldn't be forced), one should only code or map whenever they feel like it if it's not an outside commission then there's no pressure to ever be felt but the one we put on ourselves (which is where one has to stop and ask 'why?'). Catch as much of a breath as you need, and dive back in whenever ready with a clear mind and only pure excitement. Again, best of luck!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 04 December 2019 - 07:48 AM

View Postck3D, on 04 December 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

You sound better than most at identifying both your strengths and weaknesses. Your strength is your passion and persistence, your current weakness is (or seems to be) a mere lack of organization, management and planning. From the sound of your posts, to me you regularly come off as someone so eager to create, they never make the time to sit and plan or clean up past work due to always being onto the next thing. The good side is actually a positive trait, but one that only gets to really shine and bear fruits once you've learned to manage it; think of it as overtraining in sports where your body actually low-key needs some time to let the work you've done on it sink in - sure, technically you can go out and perform every single day for hours, but that's also the best way to completely burn out and ruin your potential. Realistically, one gets better results performing once every two or three days.

I've expressed it before but I for one am curious about your work, enjoying the updates and looking forward to giving your mod a try. And I have no doubt that you will make it, for there's no reason that you won't, you just need a direction to sort out the confusion. I have no idea what your code physically looks like but you've already done so much, maybe you should pause the writing of new features for now and isolate and archive everything you've written so far for every individual feature that works flawlessly in some kind of personal catalog or backlog. That way I'm sure in the process you would yourself identify bits of code you might not have understood in the first place, or lines that maybe interfere. That wouldn't be stalling and still qualify as progress as essentially, something like this would just result in you naturally cleaning up and optimizing your code, and learning new things from your own work only to end up with clearer data to work with from now on, as well as a better understanding of what you're doing, both of which should make whatever is left of your working process a lot easier, efficient and more enjoyable. With as much confusion as possible out of the way, you'll probably get your mod done exponentially faster.

It's also OK to take a break if you need it (again, think overtraining, creativity also shouldn't be forced), one should only code or map whenever they feel like it if it's not an outside commission then there's no pressure to ever be felt but the one we put on ourselves (which is where one has to stop and ask 'why?'). Catch as much of a breath as you need, and dive back in whenever ready with a clear mind and only pure excitement. Again, best of luck!

Thank you that's nice of you.

I take breaks, to better correct the problems that I encounter.

I of course corrected the problem of the assault captain. He is killed normally when he is teleporting. I think the update of Darkus was not working properly anymore.

Currently, I add the enemies of the GBA version.

I will post the mode soon on the thread "Duke 3D: The Personal Project"

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 04 December 2019 - 12:59 PM

Having no time to make a list of enemies with a single image, I want to inform you that the mod alone will contain a hundred different enemies.

Original enemies and some variations, from the official expansions, some TC dating from 1997, various adapted portages and the remake "World Tour"

There will be of course the two enemies of the beta version "v0.99" namely Dummyduke and Snakehead.

It only needs to look into Sierra's "Total Meltdown" expansion, which was not supposed to be added.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 10 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

I'm back for the project. In order to progress in my coding I would like to have some clarifications. What in-game event displays Duke's finger crunch on startup and when he's impatient?

Is it "displayfist" and "displayknuckles"?

This could help me to correct thumbnails displayed on the screen during these animations.

I used the WT hud weapon thumbnails and assigned them for each weapon selected on the screen. Three things will need to be corrected.

1. When loading the map, the "knee" thumbnail is displayed during the "Duke knuckles" sequence before it switches to the default "pistol" weapon

2. Remove the thumbnail of the specific weapon during the "Duke impatient" sequence

3. When the player has been killed and when he reappears on the map, the thumbnail of the weapon selected during the first game remains displayed before switching back to the pistol.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 13 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options