Duke4.net Forums: build engine blobber? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

build engine blobber?

i've been thinking of a mod (or a game) for e32 that would radically change the game flow of the build engine games by turning it into basically an oldschool first person dungeon crawler, or, as colloquially called, a blobber. this would encompass grid-based movement and turn-based combat, among other things (such as inventory management, crafting, other classic roleplaying stuff). for those in need of a point of reference, think of the Wizardry games, Elminage or the more recent title Grimoire.
now i'd like to ask for the opinion of the community whether it is at all possible via CON scripting or would require a total engine rewrite (in case of which it'd remain just a nice dream for me). anyone been fiddling something like this?
thanks for reading this
cheers!

This post has been edited by evil_presley: 27 October 2018 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've never heard the term blobber before although I'm familiar with the RPG subgenre it refers to of course.

Can't say anything about this being possible as a CON scripting mod (particularly concerning grid-based movement and turn-based combat), seems rather unlikely to me but I'm not competent enough to judge.

I wonder why you'd want to do this anyway, AKAIF there are a few open source RPG game builders out there that may be used to create your own game.

User is offline   Mark 

The looks and many features would be doable in Eduke32 but to make something like the games you linked to would require a lot of effort from the best of our coders. I never like to discourage anyone from trying something new but this would be a major undertaking. If its just an idea you are bringing it will most likely go nowhere. But if you are bringing skills with you there is a better chance.

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 October 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

I wonder why you'd want to do this anyway, AKAIF there are a few open source RPG game builders out there that may be used to create your own game.

ofc i'm well aware of the options at hand, and if i based my decision sorely on utility, i'd probably go with the unity engine. it's just that i really love how build/e32 handles sprites, animations, the interaction with the world, the fact that it can run on ancient machines, the explosions, the numerous peculiar effects.. i could go on and on. lastly, d3d is my favorite sprite-based fps, so. the other contender for this would be the doom engine (namely gzdoom/qzdoom for the richest rendering possibilities), but many intrinsic aspects of the build engine (the aforementioned interaction with the world, destruction, etc) is even more tempting to me. bluntly put, build is just superior.

the final goal would be to make a framework for a freeform crossover dungeon crawler, sort of like a mini-sandbox. sandbox in the sense that it's totally open for any content you can think of, while purposefulness and balancing is not an issue. i'd just want more of everything and make them all work.
for instance, how awesome would it be to have duke, caleb, leonard and cletus, lo wang, doom marine, quake guy etc in the same party, each taking turns in combat against a mashup of enemies from each game (various other games as well)? all the assets from the respective games like guns, textures, sfx, music would then be incorporated, choke-full of content, absolute redundancy in all fronts, a tiny bit similar to wgrealms.

just imagine that caleb dies to ebola he got from devouring uncooked octobrain meat, but you then meet up with lara croft and ask her to join the party and move on your quest. ok maybe it isn't the most elaborate example, but either way it's just such a blast in my head.

now i'm sure i'm not striking anyone as someone who's gonna live up to DeeperThought or any other veteran modder deity, but if you'd be so kind to put me in a direction, maybe providing some resources, read material, or just some hints on where to start looking, i'd be entirely grateful.
thanks

This post has been edited by evil_presley: 27 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

No one has done this particular type of project in EDuke32 before, so we can't point you to an example of it. All we can point you to are the same general (and somewhat hard to digest) resources that are commonly used (i.e. the wiki and various released projects with lots of scripting in them).

One thing you will need is a good, context-sensitive GUI to overlay on the HUD with various buttons you can point a mouse cursor at and interact with. There are examples of such things (AMC TC has a nice one iirc) but nothing nearly as elaborate as what you will need. The player will be using that most of the time so a lot of work will need to go into it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I know nothing about code -
you'll have to prevent attacks from a long distance (until the enemy is awake)
(buttons and things still have to be shot while not in a combat scenario, so disabling firing weapons until engaging the enemy won't work)
the awake distance to initiate an encounter
how to do a random number generator & assign each 'actor' a number - to determine encounter initiatives.
then you'll have to figure out how to stop each character from doing anything until their event number comes up.
how to 'skip' their number if the character is dead, so the encounter doesn't get stuck in a no-action event
then you'll have to figure out how to make them stop attacking after their initial action.

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

All the actors would be coded specifcally for this game, they wouldn't be the regular Duke actors. So, preventing them from attacking in realtime, etc. is all a non-issue. An enemy sprite would mostly be a repository for its various stats. It would only be allowed to move during its turn. During combat, the sprite would not actually be doing anything -- there would be a combat system integrated with the menu for that. The sprite would actually disappear during combat and there would be a portrait or portraits in the combat window representing the enemy(s). Think like the old Might and Magic games from the late 80's early 90's.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Interesting concept. Should be 100% doable using the current codebase.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 October 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

All the actors would be coded specifcally for this game, they wouldn't be the regular Duke actors. So, preventing them from attacking in realtime, etc. is all a non-issue. An enemy sprite would mostly be a repository for its various stats. It would only be allowed to move during its turn. During combat, the sprite would not actually be doing anything -- there would be a combat system integrated with the menu for that. The sprite would actually disappear during combat and there would be a portrait or portraits in the combat window representing the enemy(s). Think like the old Might and Magic games from the late 80's early 90's.

that's totally right. e.g. when you take a move on the grid or tile (which the whole map is divided to), there's a chance that an encounter might happen and a dice is rolled. if encounter, then the game changes to a battlescreen (might & magic, final fantasy etc) where you face your foe, pick your actions, hit turn, and the fight is resolved.

This post has been edited by evil_presley: 27 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

View PostTerminX, on 27 October 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

Interesting concept. Should be 100% doable using the current codebase.

do you mean by plain CON? or it's a C++ job?

This post has been edited by evil_presley: 27 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

n/m

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postevil_presley, on 27 October 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

do you mean by plain CON? or it's a C++ job?

You can do it with CON. You'll have to learn a lot but it's entirely possible.

User is offline   blizzart 

IIRC there was the Dukecraft Demo (or more a proof of concept) by MBlackwell, which used turn based combat.

http://www.r-t-c-m.c.../dukecraft.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options