• You cannot reply to this topic

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin  "Formerly "3DRealms is working on a new game""

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's what Early Access is.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 10 March 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

Lucky you! Do you know if they plan on publicly releasing the demo eventually?

I don't know, I am not the dev and even if I was I do not think I could share such info. What I can say is that the demo was great and I really hope that the final game will be mind blowing for me Posted Image

EDIT: It's a HUGE step forward for the new 3DR, I am very happy that things turn like that for them.

This post has been edited by brullov: 11 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

I miss the days when demos were still a thing. :)

Playing the shit out of one recently is what convinced me to purchase the full game once it leaves Early Access.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

If what I read from their public discord everyday is what I think, then its probably a first taste in 2019 and then the complete thing in 2020. Don't quote me on that though.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Give me 3 levels and I'll tell ya if it's any good. That's still less than what we got with Doom shareware (which was 33% of the whole game), but it'll do to see if it has "the flow".

When I was a kid we bought all our shareware at the store, I didn't have an internet connection or anything. Still, shareware was pretty cool. I guess the equivalent there would be if an extensive demo cost 3 dollars or something today. It was great at the time of course, and more needed then I think, now you can learn so much about an upcoming game from the internet. For me a video is often close to as good as a demo for getting a feel for the game.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 12 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 12 March 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

When I was a kid we bought all our shareware at the store, I didn't have an internet connection or anything. Still, shareware was pretty cool. I guess the equivalent there would be if an extensive demo cost 3 dollars or something today.

The price paid for a physical copy of shareware was only for the medium, shipping & handling etc. The devs got nothing from it. This was only because Internet connection was slow and costly to carry large files, which doesn't hold true today most of the time.

Paid demos are nonsense, unless they're this Early Access/pre-release stuff and then go free upon the release of the complete thing (you know what I'm talking about). Outside of this concept, having to pay for the demo kind of defeats the whole purpose of "trying before buying".

[Edit] There's also this thing about the demo limitations that has been bothering me for a while (I've played quite a few demos!). It seems that upon releasing a playable demo, the developers or publishers are torn between two opposite goals: on the one hand, they want to show off enough for the prospective players to get interested and eventually buy the full game; on the other, it appears that all too often the developer or publisher is somehow afraid they'll give too much for free, and this results in ridiculous amounts of limitations (bordering on outright crippleware).

Curiously, this works out differently depending on the game. I played some demos that left me annoyed because of the limitations, almost to the point of the game becoming unsatisfying. And yet there is no obvious criteria on where to put the limit. I remember the demo of Dark Forces making a very favourable impression even though it's just one level; there's so much stuff hidden around it feels like an entire little game on its own. The exact opposite is the demo of Rex Nebular: even though it's playable there's almost nothing to do there, just a few screens and a tiny morsel of the storyline. Were the developers at MPS Labs afraid that if they gave you some dialogue, or an encounter with an enemy, or a puzzle, the players would keep replaying the demo and pass on the full game?

My opinion is that if the demo is good and even if it has a good replay value, it will and probably should motivate the player to buy the full game. (There are of course some odd exceptions here and there where the demo is actually better than the full thing though).

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 12 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

I have fond memories of Jedi Outcast's demo, which featured an exclusive level that is not present in the retail game. Looking back, I think I had more fun playing it than Jedi Outcast in its entirety!

This reminds me: I have bought Dark Forces years ago, but I never went very far in it due to the lack of a good port. :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 12 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

View Postthricecursed, on 07 March 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

A space setting as in what? Just curious what you have in mind.

The first gif with the portal opening to SPACE had made me assume the game would be set in a huge structure in SPACE containing simulacra of natural environments, maybe a preserve of some sort. I imagined there would be spaceships I could hop in and use to fly around, and there would be a hub connecting all the various levels. I definitely imagined more metal and no stone, and I expected the game to have direct-energy weapons, which would allow it to go crazy with particle effects, colored lights, transparency...

View Postthricecursed, on 07 March 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

Too many zombies IMO.

This, I most definitely agree with.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Wrath looks okay. That gameplay demonstration is not entirely... Exciting. It's lot's of grey rocky halls and very repetitive. They should have had more of a showpiece. A stronger sense of the vertical slice. The trailer indicates some, ya know... Just a pinch more varianty.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 12 March 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

This reminds me: I have bought Dark Forces years ago, but I never went very far in it due to the lack of a good port. :)

The game plays perfectly well in DOSBox, it's very enjoyable as it is. But I know people who have completed it in DarkXL and weren't complaining either.

Alas, I seem to be unable to get pass the Agent Selection screen, as the game will not even allow me to type a name. :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've never had a problem with Dark Forces in DOSBox. I've never had any luck getting anything to work in XL, but that was a long time ago. I like Dark Forces just fine in its own engine, though.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 16 March 2019 - 07:13 AM, said:

Alas, I seem to be unable to get pass the Agent Selection screen, as the game will not even allow me to type a name. :)

Something must be wrong with your install or DOSBox configuration. Have you tried asking around at [url=https://www.vogons.org/]VOGONS[/rul]?

I do not know, I just reinstalled the game on Steam.

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHank, on 28 March 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

If he had black hair, he would have looked like Frank Zappa.

Who is that on the picture?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Isn't that shotgun a bit oversized? They're going to need wheels to move the rocket launcher.

User is online   Lunick 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 30 March 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

Who is that on the picture?

That's the creator of Wrath, Jeremiah "KillPixel" Fox. Here's another lovely photo of him :lol:
Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Where's that pre-order button!!!

A better question would be, where is the playable demo? :lol:

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

Great showing at PAX, loved the demo! 3DR rocked it this year, and cool seeing Ion Maiden played there too.

View PostHank, on 30 March 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yep.. Quake was a good game.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPerro Seco, on 30 March 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Isn't that shotgun a bit oversized? They're going to need wheels to move the rocket launcher.

Yeah dude whoever made that prop is a dipshit and I hate their fucking guts.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPerro Seco, on 30 March 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

My guess is, it is for theatrical purposes. (could be totally wrong)
As in a theater, everything is a bit over sized to get the idea to the patrons.
If you ever have a chance to go to a theater, and get to look at the items, after the show is over, even a simple pencil and everything else is way over sized.
And here too, it is a show. PAX is a huge show, an enormous theater, where every host tries to get your attention.

added
@ KaijuTurtle - 3D Realms made it very clear; "Wrath" uses the Quake 1 engine, but it has nothing to do with Quake 1. And I thank them for that, since I am a Quake 1 fanatic.

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 April 2019 - 04:57 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostHank, on 02 April 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

My guess is, it is for theatrical purposes. (could be totally wrong)
I think is just to attract attention over something that we have already seen hundreds of times before. :lol:

View PostHank, on 02 April 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

it has nothing to do with Quake 1.
I like Quake a lot, but I don't like what they are doing with this. Is basically a copy of Quake. It uses a very similar logo, a shotgun as the first weapon, the other double-barrelled shotgun showed in the photo, that kind of nailgun, the zombies, the flying scrags, the theme... Everything seems to be taken directly from Quake.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPerro Seco, on 02 April 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

I think is just to attract attention over something that we have already seen hundreds of times before. :lol:

You - sure; but this was my very, ever first time at PAX.

I have no love loss for 3D Realms, and its own entourage ego maniacs. But, for Voidpint and now KillPixel, I will follow them.
'cause I know, first hand, how it was to be in the bottom line of things.
Both are 'fledglings; to make in the big league. Extremely tough, to say the least. :lol:

It was my first time at PAX too, the 3DR booth was definitely a major highlight. And I feel this game is unique enough, doesn't feel like a derivative Quake clone to me. The level design, exploration, feel of the combat, really impressive stuff all around.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options