• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin  "Formerly "3DRealms is working on a new game""

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Any build that would seem complete would not be on the Quake engine. Period.

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 14 January 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

Any build that would seem complete would not be on the Quake engine. Period.

So? It wouldn't be on the Unreal engine either.

View PostDukeNukem64, on 09 January 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

I can say with no hesitation this is BS. I have seen the "almost" done build. Frederik is not lying.

Sure. And maybe you have also seen Polybius, Starcraft Ghost, Half-Life episode 3, Commander Keen: The Universe Is Toast and the original version of Doom 4. And they were all running on the Phantom console!

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   leilei 

I'm not sure about this obvious-nostalgia-bait PR stunt:
https://twitter.com/...256043815792640

Seems misleading as the Voodoo2 didn't work in Darkplaces for over a decade since the GL2/DX10/SDL2 backend overhaul long ago. Earlier footage in this thread indicated Darkplaces usage to me, so I want to call this out before it gets out of hand with false hopes of actual new 3dfx-supporting games (which would obviously be commercially foolish to do as only scalping collectors would get hyped for it)

This post has been edited by leilei: 23 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

User is offline   SonicWind 

They're gonna reveal the game tomorrow.

I can't wait.

This post has been edited by SonicWind: 06 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Be Brave! Fingers crossed!

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

It's called WRATH: Aeon of Ruin and it releases this summer. Three hubs, totaling 15 levels,and 9 weapons all sporting unique firing modes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
https://store.steamp...H_Aeon_of_Ruin/

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 07 March 2019 - 01:39 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Gotta say, I don't hate it.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Looks beautiful!! Finally we are getting true old school FPS games that actually have a great artstyle and not just deformed polygons and pixels

• The Truth is in here

Nice, looks like a mix of Quake and Blood, especially regarding the setting. Weapony appears to be mostly classic, even though that "bio blob" gun reminds me a bit of a similar weapon in good old Unreal.
15 levels doesn't sound like much, but it's hard to tell how large they will be. Also I guess/hope it will be moddable so there will be more eventually.

Curiously enough, I found that the name of the game had already been registered by KillPixel Inc. since 2015. Not that it needs to mean anything, but still interesting...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 March 2019 - 02:12 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 07 March 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Curiously enough, I found that the name of the game had already been registered by KillPixel Inc. since 2015. Not that it needs to mean anything, but still interesting...

The name of the game is no secret, it's been shown off on Doomworld and Quakeworld and is even in this thread here https://forums.duke4...tro-fps-corner/

• The Truth is in here

Ah, didn't know that. Still, apparently the name hasn't been associated with this game until now, I guess, so that's the surprise.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 March 2019 - 02:24 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Makes me wanna call my friend on landline to tell him about it, lol. All these retro shooters almost making me feel like it's 1999 again. Completely sold on the art style at least.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I like this!

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Looks promising and sounds like it will run with no problem on my rig.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostNightFright, on 07 March 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Nice, looks like a mix of Quake and Blood,

For me it looks more like a mix of Quake and Hexen II.

Promising, i keep an eye on it.

• The Truth is in here

Apparently the original idea was to have a Heretic/Hexen vibe, so you are not too far off with your Hexen II assumption. It's gonna be interesting to see since 3DR is basically going "Raven style" with this for the first time.

User is offline   cybdmn 

Hopefully it will come to GOG or 3DR directly too, Steam is still a nogo for me.

• The Truth is in here

Another thing: They may use the Quake engine, but they certainly won't ask you to launch Dosbox for this, right? So... which source port are they using? Darkplaces? Quakespasm? Or have they created a custom one tailored to their needs?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

My guess is they've created their own.

I don't think we have to worry about it being on GOG or the 3DR store, if their track record is anything to go by.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostNightFright, on 07 March 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Another thing: They may use the Quake engine, but they certainly won't ask you to launch Dosbox for this, right? So... which source port are they using? Darkplaces? Quakespasm? Or have they created a custom one tailored to their needs?

According to a thread over at DW, development started in Darkplaces. Not sure, if that has changed.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 March 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

I don't think we have to worry about it being on GOG or the 3DR store, if their track record is anything to go by.

That's what my hopes are based off.

• banned!

Gameplay: https://www.gamespot...l/2300-6448662/

Sigh... I was hoping for a space setting, not a dark fantasy setting. As of now, it feels very derivative, with enemies and weapon that resemble Blood, settings that resemble Hexen 2, and a weapon that is meant to be original as it's not based on an existing weapon, but we've already seen once in Unreal and once in DNF.

Now, one more mystery remains: what the hell is Techno Cop?

User is offline   leilei 

The new footage does show the darkplaces bobbing and crosshair so it's still definitely darkplaces. Also Q3BSP's used now, so the heavy marketing on "Quake 1 tech" is more of a stretch than anything (and using "Quake" in marketing could raise some possible zenimax ire, especially the possible misleading implications of "Quake Vets" which could be spun to accidentally mean johnromeroamericanmcgeesandypetersentimwillitstheinventorofdoom). Don't expect to run this on Quakespasm or other source ports (maybe maybe fteqw as that has a bunch of dp compatibility stuff, but no guarantees still)

The vibe does seemingly resemble more Wheel of Time/House of the Dead2 on Naomi/Model2/System22 hardware than anything else on the PC in babby terms of naming gratuitous video game references for babbies. If it were the alleged "Voodoo2 game" it'd be slow, blurry as shit and coronas and thick fog would be everywhere. On that note Fresch needs to dial his inner Oshry down a few notches for reputation's sake, as this game does not look and play like pc game reference fodder from what I see.

This post has been edited by leilei: 07 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

After reading the comments to the video, I need to reiterate what I had already stated:

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Let me quote Paul Schuytema here: "I believe the player should be an agent for change in the game, and the more you can allow them to do, I think the more fun they'll have."
I completely agree with him, and the lack of what he described is one of the things I'm afraid about. I'm afraid that this game will use nostalgia as a crutch, to remind the players about the "fun" they'll have while playing a game that doesn't let them do anything besides running, shooting and bumping buttons... when instead, back in the day, developers felt that kind of interaction was insufficient and struggled to make games that let you do more than that.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 07 March 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

After reading the comments to the video, I need to reiterate what I had already stated:

That is not true at least as far as Quake is concerned, and the point here is to be like Quake. Quake was all about keeping things as simple as possible, you can't crouch, you can't fly, there is no alt fires, moving geometry is kept to a minimum, barely any interaction as there isn't even a use key for christsakes, enemies are one dimensional (vs Duke enemies which could fly, jump, crouch etc) etc etc.
Weapons switching on the fly with no animation should be enough of an indicator to tell you Quake was all about trimming down things as much as they could get away with.

Duke and the other 'main' Build games were all about adding as much stuff as they could, but Quake was all about keeping it as simple as possible. It almost feels like they challenged themselves to make it as simple as possible, let's remember for a second that Doom had a use key and Quake doesn't.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 07 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostMetHy, on 07 March 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

That is not true at least as far as Quake is concerned, and the point here is to be like Quake. Quake was all about keeping things as simple as possible, you can't crouch, you can't fly, there is no alt fires, moving geometry is kept to a minimum, barely any interaction as there isn't even a use key for christsakes, enemies are one dimensional (vs Duke enemies which could fly, jump, crouch etc) etc etc.
Weapons switching on the fly with no animation should be enough of an indicator to tell you Quake was all about trimming down things as much as they could get away with.

Duke and the other 'main' Build games were all about adding as much stuff as they could, but Quake was all about keeping it as simple as possible. It almost feels like they challenged themselves to make it as simple as possible, let's remember for a second that Doom had a use key and Quake doesn't.

True. It's quite astonishing how truely bare bones Quake as a shooter is. It is as simple as effective. Remarkable.

On topic : this looks good ! I'm intrigued.

This post has been edited by axl: 07 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

User is offline   leilei 

Quake DID have a more ambitious design though, and the tight release schedule did lead to a lot of cuts that defined it. Instant weapon switching wouldn't be a thing, given more dev time... Heck there was even a +use button that didn't do anything. There's no denying it was rushed to market as a spiritual Doom followup (which earned a bunch of criticism at the time for doing so)

This post has been edited by leilei: 07 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

• banned!

View PostAltered Reality, on 07 March 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Sigh... I was hoping for a space setting, not a dark fantasy setting.

A space setting as in what? Just curious what you have in mind.

Edit: more gameplay footage:

Too many zombies IMO.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 07 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

I always dig the imagination here, even though it also means less hype in here for the game. We're talking about our ideas and opinions on an ideal FPS game. This is a lower budget game by Quake modders and whatnot, looks terrific, and it's cool that they got to make the game they wanted I think. We have a few Quake-ish games of late, but this may be the coolest of them when it's all said and done.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options