Duke4.net Forums: Wrath: Aeon of Ruin - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin  "Formerly "3DRealms is working on a new game""

User is offline   t800 

One very basic question. Do I understand this correctly that Wrath is based of DarkPlaces sourceport, right? Well, than I would be surprised if developers went the extra mile and completely erased quicksave function. So just opening console and binding key to it/editing config file with key binds than shouldnt be problem, eh? :(

How does quicksaving behave in DarkPlaces? Is it stable? I've only used fitzquake/quakespasm before. I tend to avoid quicksaving because it has proven buggy/broken in some of the ports I've used for other games, so I prefer to save manually.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPutrid Pete, on 10 September 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I hate being held hostage by them and this is my main objection to checkpoints: I hate feeling anxious not knowing when its safe to turn off my game because I will lose my progress.

Use Alt-Tab. :(

View PostZaxx, on 10 September 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Use Alt-Tab. :P

Hey, I tried that in Ion Fury and my whole screen went black! Had to restart my PC. Next 3DR game I do that on will probably explode on me or something! :(

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostZaxx, on 10 September 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

It's not a fucking checkpoint system: you decide when and where to save, it's just handled through an inventory item so it will be a game mechanic where you have to mind your resources.

So it IS a Quake game without a quicksave! :(

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 10 September 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

So it IS a Quake game without a quicksave! :P

3DR had to retract their original, clever add campaign.
Quake became quake-1 tech, and Quake Veterans became Quake-Scene Necromancers.
In short, you’ll get a typical 3DR game, very soon, best ever etc. ignore those petty little details like quick save. :(

• Polymancer

View PostHank, on 10 September 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

In short, you’ll get a typical 3DR game, very soon, best ever etc.

A typical *modern* 3DR game, from the people who have nothing in common with the people who brought you Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Prey, etc except the name.

Sigh.

EDIT: excepting, of course, for IF :(

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 10 September 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

A typical *modern* 3DR game, from the people who have nothing in common with the people who brought you Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Prey, Ion Fury etc except the name.

Sigh.

FIFY. :(

User is offline   Player Lin 

Serious Sam 3 did have limited save for extra bonus score points(3 or 4 times for every level), and over-saving won't have any penalty(unlike the other game, like...RotT 2013 :P) , just lose the extra score points.

But to me, for some reasons I just can't ignore that and try to limit me to save less and it became punishment to me(keep lost progress due to stupidity, tired or something else surprised me), because I just want to get more score points... I know I should ignore that but I just can't resist... :(

---

I just hope they make a switch to turn on/off the checkpoint system but since they're 3DR I just...whatever...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

There are shrines that work like "checkpoints", you can see one at around 4:28

Notice the "Progress Saved" on the corner.

I don't think Soul Tethers or shrines will work like traditional "save points", i think they'll work like the Vita-chambers from Bioshock, if you die you will respawn on your last used soul tether/ shrine, with all your weapons/ ammo/ artifacts as they where when you died, maybe it will respawn some enemies too?.

Of course, i could be totally wrong. :(

EDIT: nevermind, i'm an idiot. At around the 20 minutes mark the guy died and respawned with the same health and ammo he had when he used the soul tether. How could i miss that the first time i watched it i don't know.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

One way or the other, there's no reason why a shooter like this can't have quicksaves. Hoping for someone to mod that in, shouldn't be too hard if it's based on Darkplaces.

User is offline   VGA 

FFS. It seems 90% of discussions for this game are about the save system, here and on Doomworld.

:(

User is offline   Hank 

^ .. then why not focus on the positive?
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin is one of the most exciting titles of Gamescom 2019

from
https://twitter.com/...610024175099904

:(

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHank, on 15 September 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Because Hate and Negativity keep us alive!

:( :P :D

User is offline   Player Lin 

I found a game's saving system(not just about Wrath:AoR but all FPS games) does affect how I play the game...yeah, you may think it's not big deal and I'm respect that but if many are talking about this then it's just something important for most people I think(and I'm one of them too :P).

--

It's looks good...too bad I won't try this game until I have proper time to play and finish my IF...... :(

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, to say something positive for a change: It won't have any keylogging DRM like Denuvo in Borderlands 3 and it won't be Epic-exclusive.

That's already two rock-solid reasons to get the game right there.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostNightFright, on 17 September 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Well, to say something positive for a change: It won't have any keylogging DRM like Denuvo in Borderlands 3 and it won't be Epic-exclusive.

Says volumes about how much the industry is fucked up if normal pro-consumer behavior became such a big selling point of video games these days.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

BUT DID THEY CONFIRM NO LOOTBOXES?????!?!?!?

View Postt800, on 10 September 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

One very basic question. Do I understand this correctly that Wrath is based of DarkPlaces sourceport, right? Well, than I would be surprised if developers went the extra mile and completely erased quicksave function. So just opening console and binding key to it/editing config file with key binds than shouldnt be problem, eh? :D

They don't need to completely erase it, they just need to add // in front of the line that calls it.

View PostVGA, on 15 September 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

FFS. It seems 90% of discussions for this game are about the save system, here and on Doomworld.

:o

That only confirms that the problem is real.

View PostTaamalus, on 15 September 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Because ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 16 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Wild Dog 

It's funny to see people so upset about limited saving or no quick saving... Is not like it was something "unique" to consoles... Some older games even FPS lacked manual save and only had autosave... One example Far Cry.... and Far cry was a 9/10 game....
So i don't think that the lack of auto saving is deal breaker....

Yes i understand most of us are players from the dawn of fps and we are used to quick saving but sometimes a change is not that bad.

This post has been edited by Wild Dog: 16 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

View PostWild Dog, on 16 October 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Some older games even FPS lacked manual save and only had autosave... One example Far Cry.... and Far cry was a 9/10 game....

Far Cry was a 9/10 game for its graphics. With great graphics AND manual save, it would've been a 10/10 game.

View PostWild Dog, on 16 October 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Yes i understand most of us are players from the dawn of fps and we are used to quick saving but sometimes a change is not that bad.

A change that causes a user to relinquish control is never good. Imagine Microsoft tomorrow decides there won't be a Save button in the next version of Word, a document will only be autosaved when you hit a checkpoint (like a certain number of keypresses), and you'll have a limited amount of saves per document. Would you be okay with that?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 16 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAltered Reality, on 16 October 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Because ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.

Problems? FPS - no save feature, no sale, problem solved.

p.s. That previous post of mine was directed at VGA. If you look forward to a game, and the save feature is not relevant for yourself, change the subject and talk about what is good. :o

This post has been edited by Taamalus: 16 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I have a feeling that the people who think of the feature of strategically limiting your saves as a dealbreaker play FPS like this:

User is offline   Hank 

Those who promote Retro-Style games, should have the programming/design skills to do thus. :o

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostZaxx, on 16 October 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

I have a feeling that the people who think of the feature of strategically limiting your saves as a dealbreaker play FPS like this:

The irony is that Postal 2 has quicksave feature and they don't force you to limit yourself.

I don't remember if they showed number of saving in stats though or if it affects unlockables in some way.

View PostTaamalus, on 16 October 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

should have the programming/design skills to do thus. :o

Too much efforts anyway. It's easier just to remove the feature altogether instead of encouraging people not saving too often by implementing something interesting, kinda like old RE games did. :D

I wonder if they going to lazily design difficulties too, following typical "the higher the difficulty the more bulletsponge enemies are" bs design. Would be a huge deal breaker for me.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 17 October 2019 - 02:47 AM

I think the game should, at least, give you a free "save on exit". You shouldn't be forced to use one of your limited save thingies just because you want to exit the game.

View PostAltered Reality, on 16 October 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

A change that causes a user to relinquish control is never good. Imagine Microsoft tomorrow decides there won't be a Save button in the next version of Word, a document will only be autosaved when you hit a checkpoint (like a certain number of keypresses), and you'll have a limited amount of saves per document. Would you be okay with that?

Don't give them ideas...

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 17 October 2019 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The save feature doesn't bother me like checkpoints do in ROTT 2013. I'm sure there's a gameplay purpose here in the whole design they have thought and laid out and I'm not really worried.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 October 2019 - 06:43 AM

View PostAltered Reality, on 16 October 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

This has got to be the dumbest comparison I've read all year.

• Polymancer

View PostZaxx, on 10 September 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

No, the point of a checkpoint system is that you don't save your player state but the game does at fixed points. This is not that at all so calling it a checkpoint system is not only misleading but also dumb.

The weird thing is that as much as you want to see this as a console limitation this is actually a very PC game thing to do. For example in Project IGI 2 (also called IGI 2: Covert Strike in other places) you could only save a certain number of times per mission. Why? Because it was a tactical FPS so they wanted to eliminate save scumming. Remedy did the same thing on Max Payne 2's highest difficulty. It was also a pretty common thing that a game didn't let you to save when enemies were nearby (again: anti save scumming) so just stop the hissy fit and instead learn to properly play videogames without abusing the save system (or if you're that desperate: we've already discussed that the game is using Darkplaces so modding unlimited saves in will be easy).

Save scumming? What? Stop shilling for these guys. Please.

User is offline   Hank 

n/m

This post has been edited by Taamalus: 17 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options