Duke4.net Forums: Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy  "Now with official autobuilds on first post"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Take the soundtrack files in ogg format, zip them, rename to .dat.

View PostNightFright, on 30 December 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

Take the soundtrack files in ogg format, zip them, rename to .dat.

The GOG collection doesn't include soundtrack files in any format. There is an iso file (which they rename into a .gog file).

The instructions for ripping audio from that file are for Linux only.

So again, what is the best way to rip those music files on Windows?

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Copy or rename REDNECK.INST as REDNECK.CUE and use that to mount the disc image in a virtual CD drive (or burn a disc from the image). Then use whatever you would normally use to rip the audio tracks. Rinse and repeat for "Rides Again" (RRRAGAIN.INST -> RRRAGAIN.CUE).

I haven't tested it myself, but the .INST files should be standard cue sheet files and you should have no problems mounting the image or burning a disc from them

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 01 January 2020 - 01:33 PM, said:

Copy or rename REDNECK.INST as REDNECK.CUE and use that to mount the disc image in a virtual CD drive (or burn a disc from the image). Then use whatever you would normally use to rip the audio tracks. Rinse and repeat for "Rides Again" (RRRAGAIN.INST -> RRRAGAIN.CUE).

I haven't tested it myself, but the .INST files should be standard cue sheet files and you should have no problems mounting the image or burning a disc from them

I normally rip physical music CDs with CDEx, but it won't let me rip a mounted iso. It will only talk to a real physical optical drive. So then I Googled for how to rip a music CD looking for a recommended program these days, and the first two pages of search results were all Windows Media Player, which puts DRM into the MP3 files. I even more specifically looked for how to rip from a mounted iso, and search results were still telling me to use Windows Media Player. So I still don't really have much of a solution.

It would be nice if the source port could just play from the ISO.

User is offline   WolfmanFP 

I recommend CueToOgg, it can extract music from CUE/BIN images, and converts them to OGG: https://github.com/h...mucker/CueToOgg

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

So burning the image to disc (which would probably also allow you to intall the game on a real DOS/Win9x PC should you ever want to do that) and ripping the music tracks from the burned disc is not much of a solution? You wouldn't even have to "waste" a disc, you could just use a rewritable one (if you have one)...

My copy of Nero Burning ROM 8 has an option to save tracks, which allows me to rip audio tracks of any CD, includung mounted images, as audio files (WAV, OGG and a few other formats). But that one's rather old. The version of Windows Media Player on my Win10 system can rip CD audio and save it in WAV format, so that should also be a valid option if you have another tool at hand that can convert WAV to OGG. I know that Audacity can take care of that, but there are probably some dedicated utilities that make it easier to convert a bunch of files without having to load and save each file individually.

• The Truth is in here

You can also use the music packs I have prepared for myself, I doubt there is a problem sharing them.

Redneck Rampage Music Pack (DAT, 59.4 MB)
Rides Again Music Pack (DAT, 35.8 MB)

I am running these as follows:
1) Place both music files in a "music" subdir inside of the Rednukem folder
2) In the "music" subdir create two def files, redneck.def and rides.def.

redneck.def:
loadgrp music/redneck_music.dat

rides.def:
loadgrp music/rides_music.dat

3) In the Rednukem root dir (where the executable is), place a text file named redneck.grpinfo with the following code (CRC/size based on GOG release):

grpinfo
{
    	name       "Redneck Rampage"
	defname    "music/redneck.def"
    	size       141174222
    	crc        0x19D9BC79
	flags      GAMEFLAG_RR
    	dependency 0
}

grpinfo
{
    	name       "Redneck Rampage: Rides Again"
	defname    "music/rides.def"
    	size       191798609
    	crc        0x958018C6
	flags      GAMEFLAG_RR
    	dependency 0
}

grpinfo
{
    	name       "Suckin' Grits on Route 66"
    	scriptname "game66.con"
	defname    "music/redneck.def"
    	size       18211915
    	crc        0xA88E7022
	flags      GAMEFLAG_RR
    	dependency 0x19D9BC79
}

User is offline   Master O 

View PostNightFright, on 03 January 2020 - 02:24 AM, said:

You can also use the music packs I have prepared for myself, I doubt there is a problem sharing them....

I would also recommend creating an issue on https://github.com/n...NRedneck/issues with these instructions so everyone will know how to set up music for Redneck Rampage.

This post has been edited by Master O: 03 January 2020 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMaster O, on 03 January 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

I would also recommend creating an issue on https://github.com/n...NRedneck/issues with these instructions so everyone will know how to set up music for Redneck Rampage.

That repository is archived. Rednukem lives in the NBlood repository along with PCExhumed now.

In any case these instructions are not "the way" to set up the music, but they look like a good temporary way to make launching the game easier until the port can do this job by itself.

Their userfriendliness could be improved quite a bit though. Instead of requiring the user to download two files and create a bunch of text files manually, it should be a single download that when unzipped to the Rednukem folder Just Works.

The size of those music packs seems awfully small. How low are the quality settings of those ogg files?

• The Truth is in here

I think I took those tracks straight from the bonus downloads of the GOG release. Quality is probably not the best, but I don't have the original disks to rip the music again. Anyway, for pure gaming purposes the quality should be sufficient. Only if you want to listen to the music outside of the game you may notice it could be better.

Early next week I will recompile the music so it will contain the grpinfo file plus the entire music folder for a drag-n-drop solution. Again it will only work with the GOG release unless original releases use the same groupfiles with identical checksums. Done, see below.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

User is offline   Poorchop 

I just wanted to say thanks for your work on this. It plays so much more smoothly compared to running it in DOSBox and it's a huge treat to see more Build Engine games receiving proper source ports. I'm not only excited for Redneck, but for Powerslave as well and I hope that these ports bring more attention to these games.

User is online   Phredreeke 

but I don't have the original disks to rip the music again.

Unlike the GOG release of Blood, Redneck Rampage has the game's soundtracks at full quality, just mount the disc image and rip the CDDA tracks on it

• The Truth is in here

I got short-notice access to my laptop, so I have created the easy-to-use release of the soundtrack already:

Rednukem Music Packs (zip, 95.1 MB)

Instructions are much simpler now:
- Unzip rednukem_music.zip contents to your Rednukem dir
- Profit

I deleted the previously posted two music packs again since my Mega account storage is not unlimited and I need every MB I can get.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 January 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

Unlike the GOG release of Blood, Redneck Rampage has the game's soundtracks at full quality, just mount the disc image and rip the CDDA tracks on it

What programs specifically rip the audio from a mounted disc image?

On Windows? I use foobar. On Linux/MacOS? Beats me

• The Truth is in here

Is there an equivalent to eduke.con in Rednukem? (Or is it actually still supported without any rename?)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 February 2020 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

No, it will load game.con for Duke and RR games and nam.con/ww2gi.con for Nam/Ww2gi (or game.con as fallback)

• The Truth is in here

I see. I was asking since I was trying to run stuff like the Duke Fixes or Voxel Pack with it. I realized that the modified GAME.CON by Darkus doesn't work (probably uses EDuke32-specific code) and eduke.con from Voxel Pack isn't parsed, i.e. no refined Freezer ammo, HoloDuke or voxel rotations (unless rotations can be enabled in a different way like in DukeGDX). I would like to make the packs as compatible as possible. Duke Fixes works if you just delete game.con from the zipfile.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 February 2020 - 12:32 AM

User is online   FistMarine 

I have tried this port for first time and I really like it! I read that's basically an accurate Duke3D/RR port using original codebase backed up by EDuke32 tech, so it will be interesting to play or just test various user maps and compare them with EDuke32 (assuming Rednukem can run most EDuke32 maps or is it limited to maps until 2010 or so? I mean I'm sure TROR and Polymer maps will be out of question here, which is why I'm asking), since EDuke32 has been going a lot of changes as of lately and it would be nice to have a backup port. Right now I only watched the intro demos and I found a couple of issues while running Rednukem r2452 (32-bit build) with Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition:

-Messages don't seem to appear at all during demo playback (I tried pressing F8 to enable in case they were disabled but nothing happened)
-When I went to options menu, the text was misaligned to right (see screenshot, may be because I was running at 1024x768 resolution and not widescreen)
-Pressing TAB brings up the demo progress bar instead of automap (may be intended here but I remember in DOS Duke3D you could check automap even during demos)

I will attach my rednukem log file since I also noticed a strange error:

debug: DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo() FAILED! HRESULT: 0x80263001 (Unknown error)

I also tested 32-bit OpenGL mode and it seems to be fine, I don't get the black screen bug like in EDuke32, which I reported here:
https://forums.duke4...ack-screen-bug/

I will test more tomorrow.

One of the most popular features of RedneckGDX is the ability to recolor the keys.

I realised the keys in vanilla RR use the same palette swaps as the duke3d key cards, and recolored the key tiles to use the same blue color range.

This does not change the text for when you attempt to open a door you lack the key for.

Posted Image

(this could be adapted for DOS RR as well by replacing the tile in the ART files)

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If all you did to the tiles was apply pal 1, the following def syntax can do that without needing to re-supply a modified PNG:

copytile 60 { pal 1 }
copytile 1656 { pal 1 }

I did brighten them slightly as well (as one of the most commonly recurring complaints with the game is that the keys aren't visible enough)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I tried recording a demo of Hollywood Holocaust with Rednukem, and it goes out of sync in about 3 seconds. Does anyone know what the technical problem is? Does it have anything to do with random number generation? Or is it more complex than that?

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

View PostR A D A Я, on 04 June 2020 - 01:27 PM, said:

I tried recording a demo of Hollywood Holocaust with Rednukem, and it goes out of sync in about 3 seconds. Does anyone know what the technical problem is? Does it have anything to do with random number generation? Or is it more complex than that?

Open issue on github and attach your demo file, i'll look whenever i have time.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thank you! Done.

I was playing around in the Source code for rednukem and did a little edit to the weapons in Redneck Rampage. I might as well share it. This lets you fire the pistol twice as fast, give the shotgun 20 (up from 10) pellets per shot with a little more push back and makes the rifle no longer reset after recoil.

http://www.mediafire...ponMOD.zip/file

This post has been edited by -=SomeThingEviL=-: 29 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

If you use the XXX Moonshine the mud slowing effect is disable for the rest of the map. Also the mud effects you even if you are above the mud on a sprite bridge but in its sector. I don't know if this is how it was in the original.

Just thought I would point it out.

This post has been edited by -=SomeThingEviL=-: 03 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   TP555 

Hi

@Nuke.YKT

I did Tested , your latest Version Rednukem - r11952 (f410e0200) - August 28

The Anistropic Filter and Texture Filtering are missing , that last Version , where was both Aviable , was r2431 , after that overall the Texture Filter Option is missing. !

https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/

The Texture Filtering can enable with r_texfilter 1-6 , but it cause some Texture Problems/Flickering with the latest Upscale Pack !!

And the Crosshair , will be very Dark , when the Upscale Pack is Enabled !!

So Far , the latest Version works very good , no Disctance Hit Bugs anymore , when Autoaim is set to Never !!

Please fix that , with the Missing Options and with the Upscale Pack , which cause Flickering + r_texfilter 1-6

This post has been edited by TP555: 08 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   VGA 

I just downloaded "NBlood / Rednukem / PCExhumed - r11953" and it is very dark, at least in Duke3D. I am not sure the Color Correction settings are applied. First of all, when I go to the CC settings the screen brightness changes. Then I make changes, return to game and it is still dark ...

EDIT: It's similar in eduke32, maybe it's because of my new monitor that it all seems so dark.

This post has been edited by VGA: 10 October 2020 - 04:35 AM

View PostTP555, on 08 September 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

The Anistropic Filter and Texture Filtering are missing , that last Version , where was both Aviable , was r2431 , after that overall the Texture Filter Option is missing. !

Texture filtering and anisotropic filtering doesn't play nice with palette emulation.

I don't see how it would cause issues with the upscale pack though which in its current form bypasses palette emulation.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options