Duke4.net Forums: Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy  "Now with official autobuilds on first post"

User is offline   FistMarine 

I did more tests recently using r11953 and I can confirm the bug that I reported months ago (the one with misaligned menu) has been fixed so far, however the others still remain with automap not being viewable during demos and no messages during demos. Other than that, it is a solid port for Duke3D and I hope I will use it to play many recent user maps that don't work in latest EDuke32 (I'm talking about EDuke32 maps that have been released all over the years and got broken in recent builds). Still haven't been told what is the map/mod compatibility for RedNukem, I know it should play all vanilla maps and mods but does it play limit removing maps (that don't use any new EDuke32 features) or still has vanilla limits? I would really appreciate if someone answers me.

Also for fun, I was exploring RR maps inside Duke3D (I really wish there was a mod either for Duke3D or RR where you play through RR games as Duke Nukem with Duke3D weapons, items, quotes etc) and had a random weird crash earlier when it crashed with too many sprites spawned and then I had to use Task Manager to close rednukem.exe because even when I was pressing OK, the game got stuck on the taskbar.

I will attach the rednukem.log file.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 14 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Many things specific to duke3d might be dummied out, while the maps open, don't expect compatibility.
I.e. there might be no handler for hardcoded stuff that spawns, resulting in max sprites being spawned because old ones never get deleted.

As for limits, limit removal should work.
So most maps should work.

User is offline   megaman951 

I just downloaded this and start playing with it. I'm very happy that I can finally play redneck rampage again !! There is only one small thing I noticed - the audio tracks don't loop. Instead it just goes to the next track. I remember the audio track would only switch when you changed levels. Is there a setting somewhere to change this or is it not implemented yet, maybe?

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postmegaman951, on 25 October 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

I just downloaded this and start playing with it. I'm very happy that I can finally play redneck rampage again !! There is only one small thing I noticed - the audio tracks don't loop. Instead it just goes to the next track. I remember the audio track would only switch when you changed levels. Is there a setting somewhere to change this or is it not implemented yet, maybe?

I could swear that what you're describing, track loop, was an option in the original DOS game but I can't find any evidence of it anywhere. Either way, most of the times I'd play the game even in DOSbox tracks didn't loop, I often heard 2-4 songs per level; and I think that is the default behaviour.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 October 2020 - 12:32 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've know I've asked before, but I feel compelled to ask again for support to play Redneck Deer Huntin' in Rednukem.

Like I've said previously, that game would benefit the most from sourceport support: in the original game you can't reconfigure controls, and even if you edit the .cfg you can only reconfigure half of the keys due to the nature of the game's default keys. Furthermore, the original game only supports resolutions up to 640*480; despite both RR games originally supporting resolutions so high from setup.exe they were unrealistic for the time.
Again, you can manually edit the resolution in the config files but then the sniper scope's zoom function will not work like it should anymore. I suspect this is the reason why the game doesn't support higher res.
Besides, the game seems to be based on RR:RA and doesn't have much content so I don't believe it would be too hard to make it compatible but I know nothing about the programming technicalities so I could be wrong.

Finally, I think the history of "Deer Hunting" games and hunting games in general is an interesting forgotten part of PC gaming history and is linked to Build history in more ways than you think.

In July 1997, Sunstorm Interactive, that everyone here knows for their Build add-ons, signed with an unknown unexperienced developper and released Deer Hunter. Its success was beyond anything anyone would have imaged and it apparently launched, or largely contributed to the launch of, a new market for budget casual PC games published and sold outside of the normal circuit.

Sources:
https://www.gamespot...?comment_page=1

https://www.nytimes....d-big-game.html

That 2nd article from 1999 is pure gold:

The hunting games have prompted an elitist backlash, derided as ''red neck,'' ''Bubba'' or ''trailer park'' software. Yet others see the hunting-game phenomenon as simply a sign of the times.

If people called these games "Redneck" and "Bubba", how can one not think of making a Redneck Rampage hunting game? And that is exactly what I believe happened, and I think Xatrix wanted a part of the cake from this new thriving market while it's still hot.

However, both wikipedia and mobygames list the game has being released in July 1997, at the same time as Sunstorm's Deer Hunter.
This has to be wrong. The dates on the files on the disc of Redneck Deer Huntin' are July 1998, not July 1997; but we need further proof if we want to correct those pages and I'd appreciate any help here.

Futhermore, nobody can deny the uncanny ressemblance to both games, to the point where one may be enticed to call the later a rip-off, down to including that sniper score I mentionned even if means breaking higher resolution support, down to the budget title release and most importantly the name of the game, which takes out the "Rampage" part in favor of a name that's intentionnally close to Deer Hunter to the point people may easily confuse the two. Indeed, at that period in time, the concept of deer hunting, would sell morethan redneck rampage.

In short, this game doesn't deserve to be forgotten to the point everyone gets its released date wrong by a year.

Edit:

Posted Image
Posted Image

There we go. Copyright 1998 on the disc itself and on the disc case back cover.

Also, Sunstorm's Deer Hunter advertises "Bow, shotgun, rifle". Doesn't that ring a bell? Exact same weapons in Redneck Deer Huntin', they just added the pistol. Both games also have a deer on the cover, despite the Redneck game being about hunting all kinds of wildlife, and the "Redneck" part of the name on all the official art looks like a small subtitle. If they weren't targeted at that new sweet Deer Hunter audiance call me crazy.

I wonder if the people who wrote Redneck Deer Huntin' to have been released July 1997 were being confused with Deer Hunter. It's not like Xatrix didn't want everyone to be confused.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 November 2020 - 04:12 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Rednukem has some amount of Deer Huntin support already thanks to Nuke.YKT. If you search for DEER and rrdh in the code you'll see what's there. I think you'll have to construct your own grpinfo with GAMEFLAG_DEER though.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have a question since I started testing the Addon Compilation with Rednukem. I found that many addons don't work since undefinevolume is not supported.

Why is that so and can it be changed? It's a really harmless command that simply hides episodes from being displayed in the menu. I wouldn't want to adjust like 90% of my compilation entries just to make this work for Rednukem.

It also surprises me since apparently this was supposed to be part of Rednukem according to these changelogs from Apr 4:

commit c95d49dc61a01816e4a0747d2c50e657fea888b2
Author: Evan Ramos <hendricks266@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 9 05:50:33 2015 +0000

CON: Add undefinevolume, undefineskill, and undefinelevel.

From-SVN: r4977

This happens in Rednukem when you try for example to run "ADG Episode" from the EAC:
scripts/adg_episode.con: At top level:
scripts/adg_episode.con:4: error: expected a keyword but found `undefinevolume'.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Struggling getting Route 66 to work with RedNukem. Anyone got a guide?

User is offline   MetHy 

One solution is to use the gog version of the game and put rednukem in the same folder. Then, check how the GOG version handles R66, I think it moves or renames some files (which it puts back to their original state upon exiting), and do that manually or do the same thing but for a rednukem shortcut.

One really dumb solution is to do this:
- use the "Launch Suckin'' Grit On Routes 66" shortcut of the gog version
- quit DOSbox the hard way (clicking on the cross) rather than exiting through the game's main menu
- now any time you launch rednukem in that folder you'll be playing R66
- if you want to switch back to the main game, re-use that shortcut to launch the add-on in DOSbox but quit the game normally

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2020 - 05:03 AM

View PostMetHy, on 12 December 2020 - 05:02 AM, said:

One solution is to use the gog version of the game and put rednukem in the same folder. Then, check how the GOG version handles R66, I think it moves or renames some files (which it puts back to their original state upon exiting), and do that manually or do the same thing but for a rednukem shortcut.

One really dumb solution is to do this:
- use the "Launch Suckin'' Grit On Routes 66" shortcut of the gog version
- quit DOSbox the hard way (clicking on the cross) rather than exiting through the game's main menu
- now any time you launch rednukem in that folder you'll be playing R66
- if you want to switch back to the main game, re-use that shortcut to launch the add-on in DOSbox but quit the game normally

Is it not easier to make a custom GRP? I've made one, but I don't know how to make the rednukem.exe detect it.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Instead of making a custom GRP you can just add a new folder with only the changes (renamed ART files, GAME66.CON renamed to GAME.CON IIRC, map folder) and select that as custom folder.

Alternatively if you still want to use a GRP file you can launch it with the -g parameter from the command line

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 December 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

Instead of making a custom GRP you can just add a new folder with only the changes (renamed ART files, GAME66.CON renamed to GAME.CON IIRC, map folder) and select that as custom folder.

Alternatively if you still want to use a GRP file you can launch it with the -g parameter from the command line

Ahh, got it working :) I just didn't bother to check the levels in-game. I was expecting it to be obvious that it worked. Is there a guide for the Cutscenes too?

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 12 December 2020 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 12 December 2020 - 05:11 AM, said:

Is it not easier to make a custom GRP? I've made one, but I don't know how to make the rednukem.exe detect it.

Yes it is, I wrongly assumed you asked becausae you didn't know which files to use.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2020 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

Hey, I would like to report some minor bugs I noticed about RedNukem (r12109). Before I do that, let me congratulate the authors involved with this port for adding Duke Nukem 64 support (which was actually added a few months ago) as I intend to play for first time through DN64 in following days, maybe on Duke3D's 25th anniversary. Great work! :)

Now for the reports, I have watched a random demo sent by Aleks (Alex Pistol) for his map and the demo desyncs halfway at part where the player is fighting a protector drone while placing trip mines. At one point the desync happens and the player starts to shoot/kick at random while running, fall down in sewers and eventually gets killed by walking into fire. I then rewatched the demo in Duke3D Atomic 1.5 in DOSBox and the desync doesn't happen at all, the demo runs fine until end where player dies at trip bomb ambush. The difference I noticed around time the desync happens in RedNukem was that he got scratched once by the protector drone, while in DOS Atomic 1.5 he gets scratched twice. Other than that, I am not sure why would the desync happen in first place.

Also last year I noticed and reported these already but they still persist in the latest December 2020 build (haven't checked if there were newer builds released since then): during demo playback, no messages are displayed on top and pressing TAB toggles the timer bar on/off rather than the automap.

I will attach the demo and download link for the map.
https://dukeworld.co...-e/Alexcity.zip

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 13 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

Can anyone point me toward where keys are for RR and RRRA in the sourcecode? I used the colored keys zip by Phredreeke, but I would like a custom color key message to pop up when using a door.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Did a quick test and seems to reside in: source/rr/src/sector.cpp
"Key" effect works differently in RR since it locks doors without relying on keypads like duke.

There are two parts to this. First you will need to modify the source & compile and then (optionally) add the proper quotes to USER.CON to tell them apart.
Without CON modifications I think it will be:
"Some kind of key" = Blue (70)
"Some other kind of key" = Red (71)
"Yet even another kind of key" = Yellow (72)

Check line 5317 and there you will find that there is a block that checks if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 3).

Normally it plays sound 419 and displays quote 41 for any locked door so we will need to change that.

I'm no coder but from a quick test this is enough to toggle each respective message from USER.CON

else if (RR)
            {
                if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 3)
                    A_PlaySound(99,pPlayer->i);
                else
                    A_PlaySound(419,pPlayer->i);
                if (RR && !RRRA)
                    g_canSeePlayer = -1;
                if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 1)
                    P_DoQuote(70,pPlayer);
                else if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 2)
                    P_DoQuote(71,pPlayer);
                else if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 3)
                    P_DoQuote(72,pPlayer);
                else
                    P_DoQuote(41,pPlayer);

Keep in mind that this block is repeated below for another type, just replace the same.

View Postoasiz, on 23 January 2021 - 09:08 AM, said:

Did a quick test and seems to reside in: source/rr/src/sector.cpp
"Key" effect works differently in RR since it locks doors without relying on keypads like duke.

There are two parts to this. First you will need to modify the source & compile and then (optionally) add the proper quotes to USER.CON to tell them apart.
Without CON modifications I think it will be:
"Some kind of key" = Blue (70)
"Some other kind of key" = Red (71)
"Yet even another kind of key" = Yellow (72)

Check line 5317 and there you will find that there is a block that checks if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 3).

Normally it plays sound 419 and displays quote 41 for any locked door so we will need to change that.

I'm no coder but from a quick test this is enough to toggle each respective message from USER.CON

else if (RR)
            {
                else
                if (RR && !RRRA)
                    g_canSeePlayer = -1;
                if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 1)
                    P_DoQuote(70,pPlayer);
                else if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 2)
                    P_DoQuote(71,pPlayer);
                else if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] == 3)
                    P_DoQuote(72,pPlayer);
                else
                    P_DoQuote(41,pPlayer);

Keep in mind that this block is repeated below for another type, just replace the same.

Thanks for Responding! I was actually able to devise a system of my own in order to display the correct messages.
Here's what I changed:

if (!RR || P_HasKey(nearSector, playerNum))
{
if (RR && !RRRA)
g_canSeePlayer = -1;
G_OperateSectors(nearSector,pPlayer->i);
}
else if (RR)
{
else
if (RR && !RRRA)
g_canSeePlayer = -1;
if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 0)
P_DoQuote(70,pPlayer);
if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 1)
P_DoQuote(71, pPlayer);
if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 2)
P_DoQuote(72, pPlayer);
P_DoQuote(70, pPlayer);
if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 4)
P_DoQuote(71, pPlayer);
if (g_sectorExtra[nearSector] > 5)
P_DoQuote(72, pPlayer);
}
else P_ActivateSwitch(playerNum,nearWall,0);
}
}
}

If this would cause any problems going forward let me know. While I'm at it, any idea how I could make throwing dynamite detonate on contact with actors like enemies and the player?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Ah, it has more keys. Good. I just checked few of the maps in mapster and missed the rest :)

User is offline   Biscuit 

Hey everybody!

Cool project, love its ease of use and straightforward menu options in Redneck Rampage. The mouse filter feels flawless.

I'm running into a problem though; accessing the save menu often leads to silent crashes to the desktop. Is this a known issue? Could I receive some help with this? The system is running on Windows 7x64. I installed the GOG version of the game as well as Rednukem on my second hard disk (D:\). I tried both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version of Rednukem. Specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-5930K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce 980 Ti

Please tell me what additional information I should provide.

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Biscuit: 24 March 2021 - 09:04 AM

User is offline   Biscuit 

Added the log file from just now, right after the crash:

Rednukem rr12176-82028271d-82028271d
Built Mar 14 2021 14:52:34, GCC 10.1.0, 64-bit
Using D:/Games/Redneck Rampage Collection/Redneck Rampage/ for game data
Using D:/Games/Redneck Rampage Collection/Redneck Rides Again/ for game data
Using D:/Games/Redneck Rampage Collection/Rednukem RR/ for game data
Running on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 6.1.7601)
Initialized 1ms system timer
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Initializing SDL 2.0.13
Searching for game data...
Checksumming REDNECK.GRP... Done
Checksumming COMMIT.DAT... Done
Checksumming LOOKUP.DAT... Done
Checksumming PALETTE.DAT... Done
Checksumming SETUP.DAT... Done
Checksumming TABLES.DAT... Done
Using "REDNECK.GRP" as main game data file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (30879 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (24992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (37823 bytes)
Including: LEONARD.CON (9414 bytes)
Including: BILLY.CON (11369 bytes)
Including: HEN.CON (2282 bytes)
Including: COOT.CON (9530 bytes)
Including: MOSQUITO.CON (3516 bytes)
Including: COW.CON (3753 bytes)
Including: PIG.CON (3050 bytes)
Including: MINION.CON (5157 bytes)
Including: HULK.CON (7719 bytes)
Including: TORNADO.CON (1815 bytes)
Including: SHERIFF.CON (8025 bytes)
Including: VIXEN.CON (15867 bytes)
VIXEN.CON: In actor `VIXEN':
VIXEN.CON:600: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: empty `ifspritepal' branch
Including: BUBBA.CON (5294 bytes)
BUBBA.CON: In actor `BUBBASTAND':
BUBBA.CON:207: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
Including: DOG.CON (4400 bytes)
Including: CRICKETC.CON (2474 bytes)
Including: TURDBOSS.CON (7723 bytes)
Found 4 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Script compiled in 11ms, 99592 bytes
Initialized 192.0M cache
RTS file "REDNECK.RTS" loaded
Initializing OSD...
No game controllers found
debug: DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo() FAILED! HRESULT: 0x80263001 (Unknown error)
Setting video mode 1280x1024 (32-bpp fullscreen)
Refresh rate: 60.00Hz
OpenGL information
NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 4.6.0 NVIDIA 451.48
Opened "texturecache" as cache file
Initializing MIDI driver... Initializing MIDI driver: AdLib OPL3 emulation
Initializing sound... Initializing sound: SDL WASAPI driver on Realtek High Definition Audio: 44.1 KHz stereo with 64 voices
64 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
Sound flush.voc(#79) not found!
Sound grind.voc(#148) not found!
Sound whisper.voc(#442) not found!
Sound droppie.voc(#460) not found!
WARNING: invalid sound #213
demo 1 duration: 0 min 42 sec
debug: DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo() FAILED! HRESULT: 0x80263001 (Unknown error)
E1L1: TAYLOR TOWN
Sound flush.voc(#79) not found!
Sound grind.voc(#148) not found!
Sound whisper.voc(#442) not found!
Sound droppie.voc(#460) not found!
Cache time: 31ms
S_PlayMusic(): error: can't open "track02.ogg" for playback!
E1L1: TAYLOR TOWN

Wrote rednukem.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

User is offline   LAW 

If only there was a 32-bit version of this port :P

User is offline   Phredreeke 

https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/

Attached File  32bit.png (16.51K)
Number of downloads: 15

User is offline   LAW 

View PostPhredreeke, on 11 April 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

Wow, I thought nothing has changed since the first post. This is some great news. Thanks to you and to all the people involved in these awesome ports!

User is offline   BFG9000 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 12 December 2020 - 05:53 AM, said:

Ahh, got it working :) I just didn't bother to check the levels in-game. I was expecting it to be obvious that it worked. Is there a guide for the Cutscenes too?

How did you get it to work? I made a custom GRP but rednukem doesn't detect it.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Does Rednukem have a scaling option for widescreen modes to get 320x200 and/or 640x480 resolution without black side borders? I have seen this in Mark V WinQuake and think it's quite a neat feature for a port trying to get as close to vanilla as possible. I'm talking about running the game in 1080p, but still getting 480p resolution via downscaling.

User is offline   Chapy 

Hello, I've been running into an issue of any games using Rednukem crashing when loading any additional files, and Duke 64 crashes on loading into a level. This is on the latest 64 and 32 bit versions. Here's what was in the log file.

Rednukem rr12715-b90417ed8-b90417ed8
Built Oct 16 2021 14:29:19, GCC 10.1.0, 32-bit
Using D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data
Using D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data
Using D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data
Using C:/GOG Galaxy/Games/Redneck Rampage/ for game data
Using C:/GOG Galaxy/Games/Redneck Rampage/AGAIN/ for game data
Using D:/Build Source Ports/Rednukem/ for game data
Running on Windows 10 (build 10.0.19043)
Initialized 1ms system timer
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Initializing SDL 2.0.15
Searching for game data...
Initialized 192.0M cache
Loading module "duke64_widescreen.def"
Initializing OSD...
Loaded game controller database
No game controllers found
Executing "settings.cfg"
Setting video mode 1920x1080 (32-bpp windowed)
OpenGL information
NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 4.6.0 NVIDIA 496.49
Initializing MIDI driver... Initializing MIDI driver: AdLib OPL3 emulation
Initializing sound... Initializing sound: SDL WASAPI driver on NVIDIA High Definition Audio: 44.1 KHz stereo with 64 voices
64 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
Setting video mode 800x600 (32-bpp windowed)
Cache time: 54ms
E1L1: HOLLYWOOD HOLOCAUST

Wrote rednukem.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

This post has been edited by Chapy: 12 November 2021 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostChapy, on 12 November 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

Hello, I've been running into an issue of any games using Rednukem crashing when loading any additional files, and Duke 64 crashes on loading into a level. This is on the latest 64 and 32 bit versions. Here's what was in the log file.
Issue confirmed, for Duke64 at least. Seems to be related to the introduction of mimalloc. Use an older build (r12544 works for me) for the time being. Might get fixed in the next available build after merging the current EDuke32 master branch.

Rednukem plays the wrong audio files in Nut House in Redneck Rampage. The circus music from Suckin' Grits plays when I'm using the original grp file. Please fix this. This is annoying. These are not the original sounds. This is a mistake on GOG.com's part. I know this, because I've been playing this game for 20 years using the original DOS CD-ROM. I only bought the gog.com version out of convenience.

Rednukem plays the wrong audio files in Nut House in Redneck Rampage. The circus music from Suckin' Grits plays when I'm using the original grp file. Please fix this. This is annoying. These are not the original sounds. This is a mistake on GOG.com's part. I know this, because I've been playing this game for 20 years using the original DOS CD-ROM. I only bought the gog.com version out of convenience.

User is offline   Man 'o War 

Okay, Can someone tell me how can i play Route66 with this? it's a great port, but for the life of me, i cannot get it running properly. When i tried the "custom GRP and command line" option it displayed incorrect level names.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options