Duke4.net Forums: Polymer HD trailer - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer HD trailer

User is offline   d3drocks 

View PostYatta, on May 26 2009, 12:34 AM, said:

<div height="340" width="560"><div><div></div><div></div> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6, 0,40,0" width="560" height="340"><param name="width" value="560" /><param name="height" value="340" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MoufuUKLNo&hl=en&fs=1&fmt=22" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="340" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MoufuUKLNo&hl=en&fs=1&fmt=22" ></embed></object></div>
</div>

Click Here for Full HD

I spent a long time creating this trailer, and hope you will all enjoy it! Thanks to Plagman for developing the amazing Polymer renderer, and thanks to TerminX for creating EDuke32 and giving me feedback on the development of this trailer. Thanks to Clint "phreakindee" Basinger for providing his vocal talent. Big thanks to all the people who worked on the HRP. Last but not least, thanks to Megatron for the fantastic Grabbag soundtrack.

quick tip. expand the tags. even with stuff that isnt relevant. views are good :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 26 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

The HRP and Polymer are completely unrelated, other than the fact that Polymer is part of Eduke32 and the HRP is run in Eduke32. None of the maps come pre-lighted, only some certain actors use the new lights. Everything else has to be put there by a mapper. Dont expect to open up an old map and have pretty new lighting, except from Fire, RPGs, Tanks, etc.

I think he just meant that he hopes that lighting hacks and normal/spec maps will be included in the next HRP release. They don't have to be separate once Polymer is released. And I certainly hope they won't stay separate for long once that time comes. I've already gotten a hold of a preliminary E1L1 lighting maphack that adds the dynamic lighting to Hollywood Holocaust. Dynamic lighting maphacks can be created for all the other levels too...and distributed via the HRP.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

sweetness!

User is offline   Hellbound 

View PostYatta, on May 26 2009, 12:41 PM, said:

If I were playing for real I'd have used the shotgun, but the devastator's projectiles really show off the lighting in Polymer. :D

:D I know that, it was a joke maaaan :)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postd3drocks, on May 27 2009, 08:17 AM, said:

quick tip. expand the tags. even with stuff that isnt relevant. views are good :)

Quick tip,
Don't fully quote post's with videos or pictures or you turn a thread into shit.

Looking forward to the next trailer.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 26 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostThe Commander, on May 26 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

Quick tip,
Don't fully quote post's with videos or pictures or you turn a thread into shit.

Quick tip,
Acting like an asshat turns a thread into shit faster than a screwed up quote does.

User is offline   Lead 

Is it still an active project aside from programming?

Like are people still allowed to contribute visuals?

I'm confused though. If entities are able to have light sources attached to them, whats stopping it from having them on sector effectors or sprites?

User is offline   SyntaxN 

Holy shit this looks awesome :)
Great work Yatta!
Can´t wait to play this...if my PC can handle it xD

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLead, on May 27 2009, 03:31 AM, said:

Is it still an active project aside from programming?

Like are people still allowed to contribute visuals?

I'm confused though. If entities are able to have light sources attached to them, whats stopping it from having them on sector effectors or sprites?

They can. The fire for example is a light source.

User is offline   DarkyDan 

Best trailer yet! nice compilation of action sequences Yetta.

The game will look even better when the HUD weapons are affected by lighting or bump mapped

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Amazing results considering the models remain the same - at least for now. The whole game seems a lot darker though, which is OK however since as the skybox "LA Night" suggests, the outdoor levels with that skybox basically are SUPPOSED to take place at night. It is just unusual to actually have proper lighting the way it was intended to be. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm sorry guys, but I can't say I'm amazed. The general feel and look is utter crap camparing to two other versions. I know, it's pretty cool graphic-wise, but it's FREAKING DARK. I hope it was just for a trailer and isn't a general art direction of the future remake. Because I can't see Duke Nukem 3d that dark in almost every level.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostLotan, on May 30 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

I'm sorry guys, but I can't say I'm amazed. The general feel and look is utter crap camparing to two other versions. I know, it's pretty cool graphic-wise, but it's FREAKING DARK. I hope it was just for a trailer and isn't a general art direction of the future remake. Because I can't see Duke Nukem 3d that dark in almost every level.

As has been discussed, it's dark on purpose to show off the dynamic lighting in the trailer, and also because the levels aren't light mapped yet.

It won't be like this when it's released.

User is offline   Lead 

So were you saying that this polymer stuff capable of generating any kind of pre-calculated shade maps then?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLotan, on May 30 2009, 07:07 PM, said:

You don't like to read entire threads from beginning to end before you post, do you?

• Polymancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 30 2009, 05:18 PM, said:

You don't like to read entire threads from beginning to end before you post, do you?

You're right, but it would be probably more accurate to label the vid a 'Lighting Tech demo' rather than an real trailer - especially considering we haven't even got the models rendering correctly in Polymer yet.

User is offline   Kathy 

I did read this thread. I've seen the comment about "this is for a trailer", but it didn't change the fact that in the trailer you see in the first footages two perfectly lit games, while the third one has a Doom3-like lighting environment. And I was surprised this trailer received such praise in the comments.

Anyway, I don't want to be an asshole here, but the trailer just didn't amaze me. And I wanted to be amazed. Sorry Yatta.

I thought you would like a dark, cold, looking damp trailer Lotan. :)

• The Sarien Encounter

You can't really see in this trailer but the normal/parallax mapped textures look absolutely amazing with the point and spotlights. Especially the rockface textures (wow!).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Commander, on May 31 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

I thought you would like a dark, cold, looking damp trailer Lotan. :)

Not enough purple colors!

View PostLotan, on Jun 1 2009, 04:08 AM, said:

Not enough purple colors!

Go eat some mushrooms. :)

I really like the trailer :) . Wached it a fair few times.

I don't think its that dark. People tend to forget that the original DOS duke nukem 3d is way darker than the eduke32 polymost version. I had to reduce the brightness A LOT to get the polymost looking about the same as in 8 bit classic mode.

Also, older CRT screens are way darker than the modern TFT's (especially compared to laptop screens). So if you want the true classic experience, turn your monitor off :D.
No really, I remember playing Doom back in the day, and having trouble seeing some of the levels, whilst now, I can easily see everything. ID problably knew this, thats why they made Doom 3 dark. They made it just like the classic doom experience. The same might also apply to Duke Nukem, so you might want to turn your brightness down whilst running duke in Polymost.

Comparison of polymost and software renderer: Posted Image

This post has been edited by SkullHacker: 31 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

• Polymancer

The fall-off brightness seems to be pretty much gone on the polymost renderer. The original Duke had a thing where stuff would look darker the farther away it was. Don't know if we could put that back or not.

User is offline   Sangman 

Can't say I notice much difference in brightness between the two renderers. Polymost used to be much brighter (before beta 2 was released.. then stuff suddenly got really dark :))

User is offline   Lead 

View PostTea Monster, on Jun 1 2009, 08:17 AM, said:

The fall-off brightness seems to be pretty much gone on the polymost renderer. The original Duke had a thing where stuff would look darker the farther away it was. Don't know if we could put that back or not.

Are you talking about fog?

User is offline   johndough 

Can I play Polymer with sprites?
I've never dug the models, for various reasons.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Yes you can.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

All righty-o, looks like this type of technology would make George and Scott almost applaud this. I'm quite sure if they were still working on DNF, they'd definitely have this type of technology under their consideration. I'm pretty sure that I'll look into finding out how to get this to work around with all that happened in the past. Hopefully there's a stable version up for download.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options